• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 264 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Merckx index said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
So, any suggested replacements for Skip Bayless on First Take?

How about Foxxy Brown? He knows the NFL, and if you want controversy, he would make Curt Schilling look like a pussy cat.

How about a conspiracy theory for Tunsil? Someone on the Dolphins hacked his account and leaked the bong picture, because they really wanted him, and knew he'd be long gone before their pick unless something bad about him emerged. When you think about, that would be a great way for teams to get high draft picks at a bargain. With all the research they do into these players, they must dig up a lot of dirt they can use. Most college players probably have smoked pot, and many have probably been paid (not even mentioning the fact that for all the money they bring in, they should be paid).

I guess this means the 49ers will keep Kaepernick. They had two picks in the first round, and didn't use either to get a QB. And Denver took Lynch, so presumably they're no longer interested. Cleveland I imagine will wait till next year with all their high picks. Not sure about the Niners' second pick, though. A 300 lb OL? This is a guy who's going to be lining up every ten seconds without rest in Kelly's system?

Eli Apple, what a perfect name. So now the Giants have E1 and E2.
Thanks MI, two great laughs this morning! Foxxy Google-finger on ESPN! And the 'Fins theory is great (I wonder if Apple unlocked his iPhone for them?)!

Not surprised Connor Cook dropped below round 3. He may not even go in round 4. But if there is a clue to what Patriots thought of Cook, in round 3 the PATS took QB Jacoby Brissett (6'4" 231 Lbs from NC State) @ 91 overall. Brissett not only has size but can extend plays with his legs. And to make it worse for Cook there are still (before round 4 starts in a few minutes) 3 or 4 QBs rated a bit lower but who might draw more interest from other teams.

I have to find that interesting. I mean, these are arguably the two teams Cook would fit best on. Oakland, and Dallas. And I realize talent wise, he has what it takes to plan in the NFL, no question. But did Oakland really need him? Is he really the QB to sit behind Carr, and ahead of McGloin? They have somewhat similar styles, though I think Carr's arm is stronger. Or is he future trade bait?

I would have thought the Raiders would have sought OL depth, though their off-season haul was good, you can never get too much help in the trenches. The other place I would have looked is another DB.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I have to find that interesting. I mean, these are arguably the two teams Cook would fit best on. Oakland, and Dallas. And I realize talent wise, he has what it takes to plan in the NFL, no question. But did Oakland really need him? Is he really the QB to sit behind Carr, and ahead of McGloin? They have somewhat similar styles, though I think Carr's arm is stronger. Or is he future trade bait?

I would have thought the Raiders would have sought OL depth, though their off-season haul was good, you can never get too much help in the trenches. The other place I would have looked is another DB.

People seem to love or hate Cook as a QB but his obvious weakness is accuracy according to the stats and his character which is why Chip Kelly probably lost interest. Vernon Adams did not even get drafted ! I was on another website and one member of the forum said Adams is very good and he had watched him play a lot but his size is an issue and it seems to be the main issue. He was injured after getting flattened in a game last year but I guess that can happen to any QB and he is pretty much the same height as Russell Wilson but slighter so he is small. Russell seems to bounce back most times after solid hits but I wonder how it's effecting him in the long run ?

I was reading also that some Seahawks fans were critical of their draft pick ups. I think they went after a lot of running backs. The Browns seemed to do well in the draft but they had to. Denver's signing of Lynch could prove to be good depending on which expert you are paying attention to ! But there were hardly any QBs picked up in the first three rounds of the draft so it will be interesting to see how the most highly rated ones like Goff, Wentz and Lynch pan out over time.

I'm going to leave most of the analyses to you guys...keep it coming. I expect all of the first rounders to have an impact at some point. My two value impact players are Braxton Miller, and Kamelei Correa. Miller will be like Welker with size, and will become Osweiler's favorite underneath target (Hopkins to lead him) while Correa will be one of those DE/LB's that keep offenses scrambling (Suggs and Dumervil to learn from).

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

People seem to love or hate Cook as a QB but his obvious weakness is accuracy according to the stats and his character which is why Chip Kelly probably lost interest. Vernon Adams did not even get drafted ! I was on another website and one member of the forum said Adams is very good and he had watched him play a lot but his size is an issue and it seems to be the main issue. He was injured after getting flattened in a game last year but I guess that can happen to any QB and he is pretty much the same height as Russell Wilson but slighter so he is small. Russell seems to bounce back most times after solid hits but I wonder how it's effecting him in the long run ?

I was reading also that some Seahawks fans were critical of their draft pick ups. I think they went after a lot of running backs. The Browns seemed to do well in the draft but they had to. Denver's signing of Lynch could prove to be good depending on which expert you are paying attention to ! But there were hardly any QBs picked up in the first three rounds of the draft so it will be interesting to see how the most highly rated ones like Goff, Wentz and Lynch pan out over time.
RE: Cook to Raiders- in round 4 when Cook was taken there should have been some prospects available at OL or DB positions, so I can understand that question, Alpe. But I also understand the Raiders taking Cook. In this era, teams must have a viable backup QB (recall Dallas last season). Reasons why I think Raiders took Cook:
- trying to improve the position group (sort of what I said above)
- do that by creating competition in the group, so McGloin just can't sit there content. Whoever wants to win the backup QB position (or if I'm Carr I would not feel safe) will be doing what? Coming in early and leaving late.
- that work ethic culture is something Raiders did not have 4 or 5 years ago, and if that is how McGloin and Cook (and Carr) respond, that is what Raiders want. That kind of approach by a player can be contagious.
I mean, look at other roll model QBs around the league; Brady, retired Manning, even Russell Wilson who has been called a robot with his work ethic. That is what GMs want.

RE: Vern Adams- Seattle, who does not have a backup QB on their roster because Tavares Jackson is still unsigned, has signed Adams to an UDFA contract. I think Seattle still has BJ Daniels on their practice squad, but this is a backup position Seattle is addressing. Seattle also signed 6'2"/205lb TCU QB Trevone Boykin as an UDFA. He is a taller version of Adams and Daniels.

RE: Seattle RB selections- THREE RBs taken by Seattle. My first reaction was WHAT? But remembering the only two RBs on their roster are:
- Christine Michael: who had some work ethic issues until returning to Seattle late last season after a TOUR of other NFL teams who decided they also did not want him. These picks by Seattle will keep the fire lit under his backside.
- Thomas Rawls: Still recovering from a broken ankle, but expected to make it to camps. Or is he going to make it? The location of the fracture is not an easy cut and dried heal. There might be some concern he cannot return at all, or in time.

QUICK DRAFT SUMMARY HIGHS AND LOWS:
- Big winner: JAX. Three names: Ramsey, Jack, and Day. And defense. Sort of what I expected from my old DC in SEA, Gus Bradley.
- Big loser: PHIL. After Wentz, did not do anything to help themselves. And even Wentz is no guaranteed long-term solution. And that is if they can keep him healthy.
- Big oops: CAR. They lose Norman, and then use 3 draft picks to replace that loss.

Agree on Jacksonville, they seemed to hit it big in the first two rounds, and then solid picks across the entire draft. Remember, this is a team on the rise already that at times last season looked they could actually be pretty good in the near future.

As to TJax, remember that he signed for less money to come to, and stay in, Seattle. No one can blame him for being willing to leave for more cash at the twilight of his career, and he already has a SB ring, and he played in that game too. He's a one time starter with plenty of experience, and a good attitude. Any team in the NFL should want him as a back-up QB.

Adams snub was a bit surprising. However, it looks like he's heading to Seattle's mini-camp. However...the other QB snub from the draft, Trevone Boykin, who had a really good career at TCU marred by a nasty arrest just before the Alamo bowl, has also signed for Seattle and heading to minicamp. Adams is built more like Wilson, for what that's worth, but Boykin has showed himself to have a better arm and overall passing accuracy.

As to Cook and the Raiders, while I like his winning experience playing in a pro offense, he doesn't seem to play like, or compliment Carr to me. While both move in the pocket good, Carr is very good at passing at the last moment if needed, Cook has been prone to rush passes when pressured. Carr has a strong arm, and while Cook tends to zip short passes hard, his deep field accuracy is weak and I question his arm strength. Can all this be developed, altered? Maybe. I'm just saying I would have looked for a different position, that's all. Overall I'd say Oakland had a pretty good draft.

There's so much parity in the NFL, and swings can happen quickly, so it won't surprise me if not this season, next, we see Oakland, Jacksonville, and even Cleveland as playoff teams.

I agree with you on Cook/Raiders. I was just saying what I think Raiders might have been thinking.

Also agree on the playoff futures for Raiders, Jax, & Browns. And in that order. I see those first two as real possibility for next year, but Browns as two or more years out.

And agree with Tavares Jackson. I'd love to have him back, but hope it all works out best for him. At some point SEA has to address the backup spot, and might as well be now.

Turns out I was a bit wrong about Oregon QB Vernon Adams. Seattle will bring him in for a workout during mini-camp, but did not sign him as an UDFA.

If anyone wants to see the full list of UDFA signings by all teams, can check it out on Redzone:
http://www.theredzone.org/NFLDraft/UndraftedFreeAgents.aspx

{edit: Recall Marshawn Lynch said he was retiring? Well, he still has not submitted retirement papers to Seattle. What's up with that? &#128528 }

The Idaho AG banned Draft Kings and Fan Duel (online gaming). He said that its gambling...which it is. The hypocritical bend on this though is that Idaho has a lottery which is also gambling. The state makes money from the lottery so DKs and FD need to offer the state some kick-backs and they'll be back in.

Disclaimer: while I have participated in some 'pools', and played some fantasy stakes, I have never used either of these services. I did use Unibet many times before they got shut out of the USA. (they might still take $ from the USA though?).

Talking about Elliott: "The Cowboys have—by far—the best offensive line in football, and it’s still very young. Drafting a guy fourth overall to run behind that line is a bit like hanging a piece of fine art right next to the window that has a view overlooking a scenic valley."

Edit: Credit above quote to Andy Benoit (MMQB)

Good quote. I agree on the Cowboy OL being the best OL (I wouldn't say "by far"), but I thought they had greater needs elsewhere than RB at #4 in the draft.

In a real surprise, Ryan Leaf was on Fox & Friends talking about Johnny Manziel and was very candid and forthright about his own attitude and drug problems, and said when seeing Manziel it was like holding up a mirror. I'm glad Leaf seems to have turned his life around. Well worth a look:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ryan-leaf-johnny-manziel-addiction-fox-050216

Not that Manziel gets any of it. Guess what he was doing on draft night?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/29/johnny-manziel-bar-fireball-shots-nfl-draft/

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Good quote. I agree on the Cowboy OL being the best OL (I wouldn't say "by far"), but I thought they had greater needs elsewhere than RB at #4 in the draft.

In a real surprise, Ryan Leaf was on Fox & Friends talking about Johnny Manziel and was very candid and forthright about his own attitude and drug problems, and said when seeing Manziel it was like holding up a mirror. I'm glad Leaf seems to have turned his life around. Well worth a look:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ryan-leaf-johnny-manziel-addiction-fox-050216

Not that Manziel gets any of it. Guess what he was doing on draft night?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/29/johnny-manziel-bar-fireball-shots-nfl-draft/
Yah, in today's NFL #4 is high for a RB, but if they can establish a good running game that might give TR one or two more solid years. Elliott was by far the best back (straight ahead, cuts, outside, catch, block...) so they needed to get him, and didn't want to take a chance on him going before they got to their second pick. I'll let you know if it was a good move...in February! :D

Congratulations to Antonio Cromartie and his wife on their new set of twins. And this after he had a vasectomy. This makes 12 kids total for the former Jet. Four from his current wife, and eight other children with seven women, for which he pays an estimated $336,000 a year in child support.

I hope he's managed his money well, because despite making about $8m a year recently, he's currently without a team. Presuming he has another 15 years to go, that's $5m in future payments until the kids are grown up. Someone will pick him up as a player though, as the vets minimum is $900k, which would be a good deal for a player with his experience, even if he's lost a step.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Congratulations to Antonio Cromartie and his wife on their new set of twins. And this after he had a vasectomy. This makes 12 kids total for the former Jet. Four from his current wife, and eight other children with seven women, for which he pays an estimated $336,000 a year in child support.

I hope he's managed his money well, because despite making about $8m a year recently, he's currently without a team. Presuming he has another 15 years to go, that's $5m in future payments. Someone will pick him up as a player though, as the vets minimum is $900k, which would be a good deal for a player with his experience, even if he's lost a step.
I'm going to listen to Jim Rome today - just to hear his comments about Cromartie!

He and the Clones are going to be on a role.

I normally can't stand Rome, but I agree it might be entertaining. I can't comprehend why after 2-3 kids these guys don't get snipped. With the money they made, they can do an Armstrong and easily afford to have sperm frozen just in case they meet the perfect woman later.

I have no problem with people who love kids, and want a big family for the most part. But don't confuse guys with multiple kids from multiple women (Adrien Peterson, Sean Kemp, Bennie Blades), with fathers like George Foreman, who has I think 12 kids as well, but almost half of them are adopted from broken homes, and I believe all the others living with and supported by George, who can easily afford it. Though he did name a few of them "George"!

Meanwhile, Carson Wentz inkied his deal with Philly. Four years at $26.6m, with $17.6m as a signing bonus that's guaranteed. A little less than $7m a year, presuming he doesn't get cut, hurt, or traded. Sam Bradford is on contract for two more years at $13m a year.

Speaking of Bradford, he almost went to Denver, but they couldn't agree on a price. Is Sam worth more than $13m a year? He had a fairly average year, and a fairly average career.

And what happens if the of-injured Bradford (sans last year) gets hurt again? What happens if he plays average in 4-5 games, gets hurt and misses 4 weeks, and in that time Wentz plays, and does as well, or better than Sam? Then what does Philly do? Of course, Wentz has to beat out Chase Daniels for the back-up spot. You may recall the Eagles pulled a Chip Kelley and aggressively sought Daniels as he's considered one of the best back-up QB's in the NFL. Daniel is making just over $7m a year himself. That's $27m a year Philly is paying for three QB's, when some teams only have two on roster.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

I hope he's managed his money well, because despite making about $8m a year recently, he's currently without a team. Presuming he has another 15 years to go, that's $5m in future payments until the kids are grown up. Someone will pick him up as a player though, as the vets minimum is $900k, which would be a good deal for a player with his experience, even if he's lost a step.

It might have been cheaper to buy Durex shares ! Some men obviously don't believe in contraception at any cost ! The USA also sometimes jails men for non payment of Child Support. They used to put the photos of non payers on milk cartons in some states I heard ! In Australia their privacy is protected by the Family Law Act mainly for the sake of the children.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I normally can't stand Rome, but I agree it might be entertaining. I can't comprehend why after 2-3 kids these guys don't get snipped. With the money they made, they can do an Armstrong and easily afford to have sperm frozen just in case they meet the perfect woman later.

I have no problem with people who love kids, and want a big family for the most part. But don't confuse guys with multiple kids from multiple women (Adrien Peterson, Sean Kemp, Bennie Blades), with fathers like George Foreman, who has I think 12 kids as well, but almost half of them are adopted from broken homes, and I believe all the others living with and supported by George, who can easily afford it. Though he did name a few of them "George"!

Meanwhile, Carson Wentz inkied his deal with Philly. Four years at $26.6m, with $17.6m as a signing bonus that's guaranteed. A little less than $7m a year, presuming he doesn't get cut, hurt, or traded. Sam Bradford is on contract for two more years at $13m a year.

Speaking of Bradford, he almost went to Denver, but they couldn't agree on a price. Is Sam worth more than $13m a year? He had a fairly average year, and a fairly average career.

And what happens if the of-injured Bradford (sans last year) gets hurt again? What happens if he plays average in 4-5 games, gets hurt and misses 4 weeks, and in that time Wentz plays, and does as well, or better than Sam? Then what does Philly do? Of course, Wentz has to beat out Chase Daniels for the back-up spot. You may recall the Eagles pulled a Chip Kelley and aggressively sought Daniels as he's considered one of the best back-up QB's in the NFL. Daniel is making just over $7m a year himself. That's $27m a year Philly is paying for three QB's, when some teams only have two on roster.

Denver seems to think they can get everyone to sign with them on the cheap or maybe Elway sees their real worth ? Kaep and Bradford did not like the offers. The 49ers have not not re-signed Boldin or Bush although Boldin had an offer from Washington and turned it down. Boldin is now 35 and Bush is simply injury prone and long past his best.

Agree, Rome can be entertaining but also be a bit over the top. And I really don't care for the clones trying to impress by calling in smack downs, which are usually just some energized rant that carries on worse than a political filibuster.

Antonio should have had his tubes not just snipped, but cauterized, which prevents the tubes from rejoining. Well, at least that's the explanation I got before mine. But the smell of burning flesh is something I only like when its steaks on the barbie.

Screen_Shot_2013-11-14_at_4.33.30_PM.png

Time for a little football study hall (that's the website): How to beat the spread offenses. So, with the fleets of nifty and nimble receivers in 4-WR sets and trips (e.g. trips-left above) going against less nimble linebackers and safeties, how does a defense cope? Do defenses need uber athletes at all positions, or just players who know where to be?
Well, here is a pretty good article on how 4-3 defenses are starting to evolve and get the advantage back over offenses.
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...es-are-evolving-to-stop-the-smashmouth-spread
It is a hybrid zone / man cover scheme, where the defense puts 4 defenders in zone on the strong side with the trip, and man coverage on the weak side. The zone would be provided by the FS, strongside CB, Sam, and Mike, with the man coverage provided by the SS, Wil, and weakside CB (7 defenders in coverage). Making it work is no guarantee, which the article explains. But making it work also does not require super athletes. Instead it does require the defense to:
- Have a lockdown corner to play man coverage on the weakside. If the opposing team has an ace WR in that spot and love to throw him the ball on standard downs then this scheme is DOA without a corner that can match him.
- Have a pair of DEs that are fundamentally sound and good at responding to different blocks. If that DE can't consistently contain the ball inside on the weakside this scheme can get into trouble fast.
- The strong safety should be a player worth featuring as a free hitter against the run game.

TRENDING THREADS