• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 310 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

The Hitch said:
...that Pats Superbowl win is going to be so hard to get over.
Considering they are quite possibly better this coming season than they were last, and aren't really the type of organization to rest on their laurels after winning a SB, if you're not a Pats fan, get ready for a long season. There are of course no guarantees, but I'd be really surprised if they don't chalk up at least 12 wins, and made it deep into the playoffs. It wouldn't shock me if they go 15-1, and win the SB again, to be honest. That's how good they look, on paper at least. But also with vast experience to do just that.

Mercifully, there are other games, and plenty of rivalries to watch every week.

Be interesting to see whether the Falcons do a Panthers and drop off in the upcoming season. Some people are tipping it.Not sure how much impact Shanahan's departure will have, probably more than the defensive staff that was canned after the Super Bowl loss. Although many people still blame Shanahan's plays in the second half for the loss and not just the one in field goal range where Ryan fumbled.

They are talking about him at the 49ers like he is the new messiah ! I just want the season to start so i don't have to continue reading such fluff from some of the 49ers fans.One thing they have to remember is that Shanahan and the Rams coach have never been head coaches before and even great coaches have failed with their first appointment. Though I have to admit that Gase did a good job at Miami in his first season and the 49ers interviewed him and basically told him he was expected to get the job. Someone forgot to tell Trent Baalke who didn't want Gase and decided on Chip Kelly thereby guaranteeing his and Chip's termination at the end of last season ! I am tipping a cautious five wins for the 49ers still better than the two from last season both against the mighty Rams !

Ryan was actually sacked. And on that play Shanahan called for a play with maximum pass protection, thinking the Pats would be looking for a run, and Ryan would find someone open for a short pass. Instead, the Pats played great cover defense under, and Pro Bowl center Alex Mack got beat right up the middle. The next play was a holding call against Atlanta, that was rather obvious and not controversial at all. That took them out of FG range.

In recent years that division has been the hourglass division, so if Atlanta ends up in last, it would almost be the norm. I don't see it happening though. I think they'll fight for the division, which may be close. The tough to gauge team there is TB. They added some talent, and looked very good at times last season, but will they finish 11-5 and win the division, or 8-8 and miss out. Both are possible. Heck, you could say that about every team in that division, really.

The 49ers are in such an obvious rebuilding, it won't surprise me if they finish no better than 4-12, regardless of what Shanahan can do.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Ryan was actually sacked. And on that play Shanahan called for a play with maximum pass protection, thinking the Pats would be looking for a run, and Ryan would find someone open for a short pass. Instead, the Pats played great cover defense under, and Pro Bowl center Alex Mack got beat right up the middle. The next play was a holding call against Atlanta, that was rather obvious and not controversial at all. That took them out of FG range.

In recent years that division has been the hourglass division, so if Atlanta ends up in last, it would almost be the norm. I don't see it happening though. I think they'll fight for the division, which may be close. The tough to gauge team there is TB. They added some talent, and looked very good at times last season, but will they finish 11-5 and win the division, or 8-8 and miss out. Both are possible. Heck, you could say that about every team in that division, really.

The 49ers are in such an obvious rebuilding, it won't surprise me if they finish no better than 4-12, regardless of what Shanahan can do.

I agree about the Bucs. You get the felling that they are not far away from a great season. The new signings should help them. Yeah I forgot that Ryan was sacked on that play. It was a game of two halves which was evident from the first few plays in the second half. The Patriots were a different team, the mistakes were gone and the penalties and constant defense started to wear down the Falcons who were consistently on the back foot.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Be interesting to see whether the Falcons do a Panthers and drop off in the upcoming season. Some people are tipping it.Not sure how much impact Shanahan's departure will have, probably more than the defensive staff that was canned after the Super Bowl loss. Although many people still blame Shanahan's plays in the second half for the loss and not just the one in field goal range where Ryan fumbled.

They are talking about him at the 49ers like he is the new messiah ! I just want the season to start so i don't have to continue reading such fluff from some of the 49ers fans.One thing they have to remember is that Shanahan and the Rams coach have never been head coaches before and even great coaches have failed with their first appointment. Though I have to admit that Gase did a good job at Miami in his first season and the 49ers interviewed him and basically told him he was expected to get the job. Someone forgot to tell Trent Baalke who didn't want Gase and decided on Chip Kelly thereby guaranteeing his and Chip's termination at the end of last season ! I am tipping a cautious five wins for the 49ers still better than the two from last season both against the mighty Rams !
Do you think they'll beat the Rams this season?
I get the feeling that McVay will have them improving upon last season. It's not like they could get any worse...

Re: Re:

Archibald said:
movingtarget said:

I get the feeling that McVay will have them improving upon last season. It's not like they could get any worse...

Both McVay and Shanahan are supposed to be great offensive coordinators as head coaches who knows. I am tipping similar seasons for the Rams and 49ers. I expect the Seahawks to win the division again but over the next few seasons I expect to see the Rams and 49ers to start closing the gap on the Cardinals and Seahawks. Carlton Palmer and Larry Fiztgerald are close to retirement, and the Seahawks are not the team they were a few seasons a go. Let's face it they are currently in a weak division and it showed when they got to the playoffs.Cardinals seem to be on the slide as last season hardly compared to the one before. Both the Rams and 49ers are rebuilding and eventually Seattle and the Cardinals will have to do the same as good players retire or sign elsewhere. I thought the 2015 season was going to be the Cardinals big chance to win a Super Bowl as they had a good season but couldn't duplicate it in the playoffs. Getting rid of Jeff Fisher can only help the Rams same with the 49ers getting rid of their GM Trent Baalke.

on3m@n@rmy said:
The Hitch said:
Haven't decided if I will watch NFL this season.

I loved it so much but that Pats Superbowl win is going to be so hard to get over.
I understand that. Many times I have had that awful feeling. Although I never got to the point where I said no more, probably because it's too much in my blood.

But I would encourage you to keep watching. A couple of things help me ease the sting of a loss. First is to find something positive about the winner. Anything. And usually it comes down to being happy for if only just one player on the winning team, or a fan of the winning team. Secondly (and this is the hardest because it is contrary to society), is to realize that it is more about the journey than the prize. The journey is who you go through it with, the experiences you have together, and the bonds you make with people. But society says the Winner's prize is all that matters. Even to the point of "win at all cost".

Relating the journey versus the prize to sports cars, the journey is the blue car model. You know not real flashy. The prize model is the red car model. But that is a whole separate topic that actually differentiates some college football programs from others. And differentiates the principles taught in developing young men. This is largely why I think football is so valuable.

But some say you can't be successful using the blue car model yet John Wooden was a blue car coach who was very successful. And then success depends on how its measured isn't it. The prize or the journey. There are a number of books on this topic if you want to find out more. One is "Make the Big Time Where You Are" by Frosty Westering, who got a lot of his ideas from coach Wooden.

Cheers bud.

Its different if you want a team to win and they lose. They can always win the next year. There is always hope.

When what you want is for a team to lose, and they win, nothing can take that away. They will always have those 5 superbowls, and the manner was so frustrating.

movingtarget said:
Archibald said:
movingtarget said:

Both McVay and Shanahan are supposed to be great offensive coordinators as head coaches who knows. I am tipping similar seasons for the Rams and 49ers. I expect the Seahawks to win the division again but over the next few seasons I expect to see the Rams and 49ers to start closing the gap on the Cardinals and Seahawks. Carlton Palmer and Larry Fiztgerald are close to retirement, and the Seahawks are not the team they were a few seasons a go. Let's face it they are currently in a weak division and it showed when they got to the playoffs.Cardinals seem to be on the slide as last season hardly compared to the one before. Both the Rams and 49ers are rebuilding and eventually Seattle and the Cardinals will have to do the same as good players retire or sign elsewhere. I thought the 2015 season was going to be the Cardinals big chance to win a Super Bowl as they had a good season but couldn't duplicate it in the playoffs. Getting rid of Jeff Fisher can only help the Rams same with the 49ers getting rid of their GM Trent Baalke.
I'd think that Wade Phillips would be an improvement too, and a good help for McVay, so I'm tipping they'll have a better season than their last. That said, it all depends on what McVay can get out of Goff...

Archibald said:
movingtarget said:
Archibald said:
movingtarget said:

I'd think that Wade Phillips would be an improvement too, and a good help for McVay, so I'm tipping they'll have a better season than their last. That said, it all depends on what McVay can get out of Goff...

I think Goff will show some improvement this year, Gurley also has to have a better year. He was very good the year before last.

I don't think the Falcons will flop like the Panthers did. Falcs did not lose any star players in offseason. The defense is being built with youth and speed, and with healthy DB Trufant returning, the defense should improve. Offensively, nothing more need ne said - just reload. The biggest losses were not players - DC Smith got axed & replaced by secondary coach Marquand Manuel, a former Seattle coach with Quinn; then OC Shanahan was replaced by Steve Sarkisian. I really don't see a letdown there. And Atlanta is really pissedoff with themselves.

As for Rams' Goff, he should improve. Will he?

My vote for sophomore slump of 2017 (u may want to take a seat): Dallas' QB Dax Prescott.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
I don't think the Falcons will flop like the Panthers did. Falcs did not lose any star players in offseason. The defense is being built with youth and speed, and with healthy DB Trufant returning, the defense should improve. Offensively, nothing more need ne said - just reload. The biggest losses were not players - DC Smith got axed & replaced by secondary coach Marquand Manuel, a former Seattle coach with Quinn; then OC Shanahan was replaced by Steve Sarkisian. I really don't see a letdown there. And Atlanta is really pissedoff with themselves.

My vote for sophomore slump of 2017 (u may want to take a seat): Dallas' QB Dax Prescott.

Funny you mentioned Prescott as a few NFL pundits have said the same thing. As for the Falcons i guess the Panthers also should have been psyched last season after being well beaten by Denver at the SB but Newton was off his game and they had injury issues early in the season and never really recovered. The jury is still out on Goff but McVay should be good for him, he probably has to add some bulk as well as he looks pretty frail.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Funny you mentioned Prescott as a few NFL pundits have said the same thing. As for the Falcons i guess the Panthers also should have been psyched last season after being well beaten by Denver at the SB but Newton was off his game and they had injury issues early in the season and never really recovered. The jury is still out on Goff but McVay should be good for him, he probably has to add some bulk as well as he looks pretty frail.
Well, to me even Brady looks frail, haha. But you're right. If Brady looks frail then Goff's a stick bug.

And very true you are about Panther injuries, which included their defensive leader Luke Kuechly, who was injured the last half the season. Luke from the sideline was openly unhappy about the linebacker play.

As for Newton being off his game, is it just me or does he appear to let a bad game get to his head? When things are not going well it seems he needs to have a "shorter memory".

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Well, to me even Brady looks frail, haha. But you're right. If Brady looks frail then Goff's a stick bug.

And very true you are about Panther injuries, which included their defensive leader Luke Kuechly, who was injured the last half the season. Luke from the sideline was openly unhappy about the linebacker play.

As for Newton being off his game, is it just me or does he appear to let a bad game get to his head? When things are not going well it seems he needs to have a "shorter memory".

Maybe Newton should concentrate on his game instead of complaining about illegal hits on himself all the time. Most QBs take some of those but Newton was turning it into a personal saga. It seems to be easy to get into his head as you say.

Hitch, I forget so much stuff that it makes things like this much easier! :lol: :mad:

One of the local sports guys said that Dallas Dak will either be an MVP candidate again or a complete flop. I just don't see him being a flop. He should be better since he has a year of the system under his belt now. The reason that I thnk the has less chance for a drop is because of the pieces around him: strong O-line, Elliott, the receivers are good and it seems like they drafted a Welker type too.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Hitch, I forget so much stuff that it makes things like this much easier! :lol: :mad:

One of the local sports guys said that Dallas Dak will either be an MVP candidate again or a complete flop. I just don't see him being a flop. He should be better since he has a year of the system under his belt now. The reason that I thnk the has less chance for a drop is because of the pieces around him: strong O-line, Elliott, the receivers are good and it seems like they drafted a Welker type too.
Welcome to my world. :eek:

After Dallas loses two starters from the OL, we'll see if they just reload. Collins might be one of the new starters but I have not been following them too much to even make a good guess.

Awful. I'm reminded of lawyers who prey on the elderly as well (happened to my parents).
[Former player Walter Carter], who runs a packaging company near Tampa, Fla., went on the website for the concussion settlement and realized he could file a claim on his own. Although he was annoyed by the lawyers selling services he does not need, Mr. Carter is more offended by the retired players who are doing their bidding, including Mr. Pisarcik, who pitched him.

“I watch how these attorneys work, and I think it’s a crime,” Mr. Carter said. But “most of them penetrate the confidence of guys by working with other guys. It’s the ultimate betrayal.”

[Former kicker] Michael Husted...said the process to register online for the settlement — a needed step before filing a claim — was straightforward and did not require a lawyer.“If you can read, you can fill it out."

The concussion settlement has also attracted lenders who have been offering retirees loans worth tens of thousands of dollars that would be paid back with payouts from the settlements. The loans, though, come with interest rates of 40 percent or higher that can completely consume any cash from the settlement.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Awful. I'm reminded of lawyers who prey on the elderly as well (happened to my parents).
[Former player Walter Carter], who runs a packaging company near Tampa, Fla., went on the website for the concussion settlement and realized he could file a claim on his own. Although he was annoyed by the lawyers selling services he does not need, Mr. Carter is more offended by the retired players who are doing their bidding, including Mr. Pisarcik, who pitched him.

“I watch how these attorneys work, and I think it’s a crime,” Mr. Carter said. But “most of them penetrate the confidence of guys by working with other guys. It’s the ultimate betrayal.”

[Former kicker] Michael Husted...said the process to register online for the settlement — a needed step before filing a claim — was straightforward and did not require a lawyer.“If you can read, you can fill it out."

The concussion settlement has also attracted lenders who have been offering retirees loans worth tens of thousands of dollars that would be paid back with payouts from the settlements. The loans, though, come with interest rates of 40 percent or higher that can completely consume any cash from the settlement.
I offer a special kick to the throat for people who prey on those who are less able to protect themselves.

Zek Elliott got in some type of situation in a bar last night. It will be interesting to hear the actual details instead of all of the hearsay. Without knowing the facts, if I was a young star like him I would never go to a bar/nightclub because you know there is always going to be some drunk fool who wants to get in his face. Even if he just pushes the guy away its big news.

ESPN is lame with their reporting: "I don't know if he did or didn't throw punches." Even though he is saying "did or didn't", it brings punches into the conversation. One of the things ESPN lists as an off field issue: "Returning from a charity event in May, Elliott was the passenger in a car crash." Are they just trying to make the list look longer? EE has made some bone head decisions, but ESPN seems to be taking the chaos monger route.

I don't include his domestic violence allegations in the bone head category, DD is criminal. If he is guilty of domestic violence they should let her use his testis as a rhythm bag.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:
Zek Elliott got in some type of situation in a bar last night. It will be interesting to hear the actual details instead of all of the hearsay. Without knowing the facts, if I was a young star like him I would never go to a bar/nightclub because you know there is always going to be some drunk fool who wants to get in his face. Even if he just pushes the guy away its big news.

ESPN is lame with their reporting: "I don't know if he did or didn't throw punches." Even though he is saying "did or didn't", it brings punches into the conversation. One of the things ESPN lists as an off field issue: "Returning from a charity event in May, Elliott was the passenger in a car crash." Are they just trying to make the list look longer? EE has made some bone head decisions, but ESPN seems to be taking the chaos monger route.

I don't include his domestic violence allegations in the bone head category, DD is criminal. If he is guilty of domestic violence they should let her use his testis as a rhythm bag.
I stopped watching espn. they annoy the crap out of me with the bad reporting and trying to bring politics into sports.

Semper Fidelis said:
jmdirt said:

I stopped watching espn. they annoy the crap out of me with the bad reporting and trying to bring politics into sports.
Funny you mention that. I was thinking almost exactly the same thing but had to cut my last post short, and did not have a chance to say it. Cliche, but you took the words right out of my mouth. Last time I turned to an ESPN show all the faces were unfamiliar.

Plus, so many of the people that used to anchor or co-anchor their shows have either been axed or left on the own accord it makes me wonder are there any faces left that we are familiar with? Mark Schlereth was the most recent (in last few weeks) to leave on his own. Seems like ESPN is a sinking ship. But I guess ESPN staffers like Mike Golic, Mike Greenberg, and Trey Wingo still have jobs with ESPN. BUT wait! ESPN has announced their Mike & Mike show will end in November (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/mike-and-mike-espn-end).

TRENDING THREADS