• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 311 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Semper Fidelis said:
jmdirt said:
Zek Elliott got in some type of situation in a bar last night. It will be interesting to hear the actual details instead of all of the hearsay. Without knowing the facts, if I was a young star like him I would never go to a bar/nightclub because you know there is always going to be some drunk fool who wants to get in his face. Even if he just pushes the guy away its big news.

ESPN is lame with their reporting: "I don't know if he did or didn't throw punches." Even though he is saying "did or didn't", it brings punches into the conversation. One of the things ESPN lists as an off field issue: "Returning from a charity event in May, Elliott was the passenger in a car crash." Are they just trying to make the list look longer? EE has made some bone head decisions, but ESPN seems to be taking the chaos monger route.

I don't include his domestic violence allegations in the bone head category, DD is criminal. If he is guilty of domestic violence they should let her use his testis as a rhythm bag.
I stopped watching espn. they annoy the crap out of me with the bad reporting and trying to bring politics into sports.
Agree. I don't ever watch it because I don't have cable, but I listen to ESPN radio occasionally.

Semper Fidelis said:
I stopped watching espn. they annoy the crap out of me with the bad reporting and trying to bring politics into sports.
Ditto. They didn't earn the nickname "The Four Letter Network" for nothing. They are really good/bad at hyping up nothing, sensationalizing things. It's happened over and over. Take a look at how many times they played Michael Sam kissing his BF, when players frequently said he was just another guy in the locker room, trying to make the team. They also have an overload of "jockocracy" that would make Howard Cossell turn over in his grave. They have a long history of bias as well, pointed out many times, specifically east coast bias. Baseball may be the most obvious. Lots of coverage of the Yankees and RedSox, and some of the Mets, far outweigh other coverage. Keep in mind, I live in the Northeast. They've also been accused widely of sexual harassment in the past, including a book by Mike Freeman with some sordid tales. The network has also been involved in plenty of lawsuits. I could go on and on.

I will give some credit where it's due though. Lance Williams and the Fainaru brothers have been employed at ESPN or worked with them, and done some excellent investigative sports journalism. The network also does get some credit for 30 for 30, and E60, but many of these, especially the 30 for 30 shows, are produced independently. Many are sold to ESPN after completion. So it's not like the heads of the network are making the great decisions here.

From what I hear they aren't the best employer either. They burn through a lot of people, and for being part of the Disney family, have probably the worst reputation out of all their subsidiaries in this regard.

What a mess involving EE. Athletes should just stay away from drinking establishments.

New topic. Not really football. Athlete endorsements. The most common endorsements are things like sodas, sports drinks, fast food, sneakers, cars, electronics, watches, clothing, just to name a few. Raiders' Khalil Mack has just entered into a partnership with a heavy duty truck manufacturer - Mack Trucks. Now that's fresh. :cool:

on3m@n@rmy said:
What a mess involving EE. Athletes should just stay away from drinking establishments.

New topic. Not really football. Athlete endorsements. The most common endorsements are things like sodas, sports drinks, fast food, sneakers, cars, electronics, watches, clothing, just to name a few. Raiders' Khalil Mack has just entered into a partnership with a heavy duty truck manufacturer - Mack Trucks. Now that's fresh. :cool:
Obviously having the same name is a great, and the similarities are perfect, but that market seems pretty limited. Its not shocking when sheeple rush out to buy the latest $hoes of their hero, but dropping $100,000+ for a truck that they can't use might not happen...it would be funny seeing a bunch of Raiders fans showing up to games in decked out Macks. I look forward to seeing the add campaign!

Mack Truck would obviously have to target the transportation industry. Lots of fans there too I bet. I'm not sure there will be any ads that appear to Joe normal, since I'm not sure what a "partnership" means. Maybe sales just puts lifesize posters of KMack on showroom floors. Lol.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Mack Truck would obviously have to target the transportation industry. Lots of fans there too I bet. I'm not sure there will be any ads that appear to Joe normal, since I'm not sure what a "partnership" means. Maybe sales just puts lifesize posters of KMack on showroom floors. Lol.
Agree. If a fleet manager who is a Raiders fan (or just NFL in general) needs to buy some new rigs having KMack will at least get him in the door.

In the '00's Warren Sapp (I'm pretty sure it was him, maybe even when he was a Raider) and another player did some add spots for Cummins, but they are available in Dodge picks too so...

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
DFNILDBXgAI17B4.jpg

Re:

movingtarget said:
Good interview. Ryan is class.

One of the things I took away from the interview is the write up made it sound like Kyle Shanahan was partly to blame for the loss. Ryan's interview did not make it sound as bad as the write-up did. Ryan's words in the video were "in this system", which sounded less condemning than the write-up did. But, the system was Shanny's, and the system takes a lot of time to get play calls in (including getting the right personnel group in for the play). The write-up says Ryan said the following, which I don't recall hearing in the video:
With the way Kyle's system was set up, he took more time to call plays and we shift and motion a lot more than we did with (former coordinator) Dirk (Koetter). You couldn't get out of stuff like that.
Plenty of other reasons for the collapse in that SB, like Freeman's whiffed block of Hightower and the ensuing fumble, and defensive play. The article shows the Falcs SB loss was more of a team loss than we may have suspected.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Kaep can't get a job with the Rams but this guy can ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wb4dw5rqc
While puzzling, what we do not know from the video is whether or not the Rams offered Kap the opportunity for a tryout. Maybe they did and Kap turned it down. Maybe the Rams put limits on any such tryout opportunity by saying something like "you can come in and at this point, because you have to learn the whole system, you will be initially competing for a backup QB job". So maybe that's why the Rams signed Orlovsky. And then nobody has heard from Kap, except that he did visit Seattle but no other team. All that makes it hard for me to be critical of the Rams signing of Orlovsky.

But this is for sure, I do not agree with Vick's assessment that Kap's play over the past 2 seasons has been too crappy for him to get a job in the NFL. As I said about a month ago, I do think it is too late for Kap to get a starting QB job unless some QB gets injured early in the season, but it is not too late to get a backup job. However, I do understand where Vick is coming from because Kap has shown the ability to make bad decisions and throws. I just don't think Vick worded it quite correctly.

And again, with the type of QB Kap is, how many systems and positions across NFL teams fit his style and abilities? Not many, as backup or starter.

That's the tough thing as I see it. Where to you slot him in, how?

But right now, he's not even getting calls to compete for backup, even third string jobs. Either is RG3 for some reason. That puzzles me even more, as he's at least made some attempts to be a pocket passer, and he has a more accurate arm than Kaep.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Good interview. Ryan is class.

One of the things I took away from the interview is the write up made it sound like Kyle Shanahan was partly to blame for the loss. Ryan's interview did not make it sound as bad as the write-up did. Ryan's words in the video were "in this system", which sounded less condemning than the write-up did. But, the system was Shanny's, and the system takes a lot of time to get play calls in (including getting the right personnel group in for the play). The write-up says Ryan said the following, which I don't recall hearing in the video:
With the way Kyle's system was set up, he took more time to call plays and we shift and motion a lot more than we did with (former coordinator) Dirk (Koetter). You couldn't get out of stuff like that.
Plenty of other reasons for the collapse in that SB, like Freeman's whiffed block of Hightower and the ensuing fumble, and defensive play. The article shows the Falcs SB loss was more of a team loss than we may have suspected.

Yeah I thought Ryan's comments were interesting but to watch that game three times must have been painful !

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Kaep can't get a job with the Rams but this guy can ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wb4dw5rqc
While puzzling, what we do not know from the video is whether or not the Rams offered Kap the opportunity for a tryout. Maybe they did and Kap turned it down. Maybe the Rams put limits on any such tryout opportunity by saying something like "you can come in and at this point, because you have to learn the whole system, you will be initially competing for a backup QB job". So maybe that's why the Rams signed Orlovsky. And then nobody has heard from Kap, except that he did visit Seattle but no other team. All that makes it hard for me to be critical of the Rams signing of Orlovsky.

But this is for sure, I do not agree with Vick's assessment that Kap's play over the past 2 seasons has been too crappy for him to get a job in the NFL. As I said about a month ago, I do think it is too late for Kap to get a starting QB job unless some QB gets injured early in the season, but it is not too late to get a backup job. However, I do understand where Vick is coming from because Kap has shown the ability to make bad decisions and throws. I just don't think Vick worded it quite correctly.

And again, with the type of QB Kap is, how many systems and positions across NFL teams fit his style and abilities? Not many, as backup or starter.

Kaep's Seattle visit was an interesting one. As far as I know it was not a formal try out. Some of the Seattle players have been very outspoken in their support for Kaep as has the coach. It seemed to be an attempt to get him out there in the media spotlight, something he hasn't been doing himself, not even interviews. Where this ends up who knows but if his career is over I would not be surprised to see him either enter politics or set up some sort of foundation and get involved more in community and social work some of which he is already doing. I still think he may pick something up and many people seem to think otherwise and reckon if it was going to happen and it was based purely on his football skills, he would be in a team already. Gabbert got picked up pretty quickly, Orlovsky has a poor record and there are plenty of others similar holding down back up positions or better. Fans that didn't see every 49ers game last season don't realize how mediocre they were, sure Kaep had some bad games like the Bears game but he also had some very good games like the Miami game. Chip Kelly was also a victim of last season and he too may not coach again in the NFL but with the team he had it was ridiculous to think he could have done much better. And hiring Jim O'Neil the Browns DC was plain dumb, as bad as the offense was the defense was putrid.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That's the tough thing as I see it. Where to you slot him in, how?

But right now, he's not even getting calls to compete for backup, even third string jobs. Either is RG3 for some reason. That puzzles me even more, as he's at least made some attempts to be a pocket passer, and he has a more accurate arm than Kaep.
Yep. Xactly on both players. Here's another thing on Kap: just how bad does he want to play? He had a chance to tell Seattle "I'll do anything if you just give me a shot". We don't know for sure he did not say that, but had he said that Carroll would have publicly said so when Pete supported Kap after their meeting in Seattle. If teams get a sniff that some non-star player does not have that kind of fire in their gut, well then the player better have another career plan.

As for RG, I have not looked at his tape, but the few clips I saw it still looked like when he ran that he still runs stupid by trying to eek out more tough yardage than he should instead of trying to slide down sooner. And I got the feeling he is playing scaired. Even behind that line, which is better than Seattle's. Imagine if he played behind Seattle's line? So I'd have to watch his feet. Players can see his eyes, so they may already know. And if players sense that he is scaird then the word is out. Just a hunch.

Dan Orlovsky and Kaep are different types of QBs. Orlovsky has worked for a lot of different coordinators with many different systems. He is also good in the film room. He is the type of QB you want backing up a green QB.

I don't think Kaep could come in and pick up a new system quick and then mentor younger QBs.

I view Kaep as the type of QB that needs his own system that hides his weaknesses. He is not the type of QB that can help develop a franchise QB.

The Rams have Goff from 2016 and Mannion from 2015. Someone like Orlovsky is perfect for them.

Re:

ToreBear said:
Dan Orlovsky and Kaep are different types of QBs. Orlovsky has worked for a lot of different coordinators with many different systems. He is also good in the film room. He is the type of QB you want backing up a green QB.

I don't think Kaep could come in and pick up a new system quick and then mentor younger QBs.

I view Kaep as the type of QB that needs his own system that hides his weaknesses. He is not the type of QB that can help develop a franchise QB.

The Rams have Goff from 2016 and Mannion from 2015. Someone like Orlovsky is perfect for them.
Excellent points torebear. To continue on what you said about hiding weaknesses, that is kind of the idea I had in mind. To me, Kap is not skilled enough with the deep pass. He needs to be in a system involving short to intermediate routes, complemented by heavy use of the TE in pass routes, and one that can take advantage of his mobility.

Re:

ToreBear said:

Kap had three coaches in three years and seemed to have no problems with new systems. He went from Harbaugh to Tomsula to Kelly. His weakness seems to be his decision making and his accuracy which is why he wasn't a fit for Shanahan's scheme.

on3m@n@rmy said:
ToreBear said:

Excellent points torebear. To continue on what you said about hiding weaknesses, that is kind of the idea I had in mind. To me, Kap is not skilled enough with the deep pass. He needs to be in a system involving short to intermediate routes, complemented by heavy use of the TE in pass routes, and one that can take advantage of his mobility.

Interesting you say that about the tight ends as Kap was favoring Vance McDonald in the past few seasons. McDonald improved last year but too often Kap's throws were wayward or McDonald dropped the ball but when it stuck he was making good yards and some TDs. I always thought Kap was at his best when he was running that was his strength his athleticism but sometimes he was looking to run too much.

on3m@n@rmy said:
I would agree with this. It's also interesting as he has one of the strongest arms in the NFL, but his deep field accuracy, especially to the sidelines is poor. Again, compare this to RG3.

As to RG3 running too much, that he does, but he did it less after he came back last year. He was though sometimes trying to eek out an extra few inches.

I'm sure one of the reasons the Rams picked up Orlovsky is because he probably is getting paid little more than the veteran minimum for his position, and won't make a peep about it, or playing time, or anything else.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
ToreBear said:

Interesting you say that about the tight ends as Kap was favoring Vance McDonald in the past few seasons. McDonald improved last year but too often Kap's throws were wayward or McDonald dropped the ball but when it stuck he was making good yards and some TDs. I always thought Kap was at his best when he was running that was his strength his athleticism but sometimes he was looking to run too much.
Absolutely. Part of the reason he looked to run too much is he was not good going through all of his progressions to the WRs. If Kap's 1st or 2nd read were covered he'd take off or want to take off. Then if he took off it was full commitment to run, almost never looking to pass. That is why he would be best in system with shorter routes. Contrast that to Russ Wilson, when Russ takes off his eyes are almost always downfield looking for someone to pass to. And when Russ scrambles looking to pass it becomes a free for all, and defensive coverage plans for the play get blown up. BIG difference from Kap. But to best use Kap's mobility I mean things like rolling the pocket and getting him outside the pocket on rollouts etc. Only problem there is he is not as accurate throwing on the run like Russ Wilson is. Wilson's baseball background really is an asset for Russ.

TRENDING THREADS