• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 322 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only a fool would write the Pats off, or Brady off. This was one game only. The Pats didn't even play that poorly, and Brady threw some really nice passes. They just didn't get much pass rush from the front 7, blew some coverages - or seemed out of sync or even confused by some of KC's offense, and at times the OL was a bit shaky. But the story really was the Chiefs. Sure, it's just one game in September, but ignore them, or fail to credit just how well drilled they were, and how complete they were in all phases of the game, at your own peril.

As to Cowherd's comment on Smith starting for certain next year and Mahomes sitting again, that's total speculation, it has to be. Smith could have an MVP season, or a series of crap games late, or get hurt. Or Mahomes could step in and play fantastic, or falter. Any of these factors and more would obviously influence that decision.

No kidding regarding it taking a fool to be writing Pats off. I could not believe my eyes when I read a news report that some, or many, Pats fans are calling for Brady to be benched. Really? And Jimmy G would be any better with WRs down or never played reg season game with, 1 aquired the past week? Astounding.

I could not find any source other than Cowherd for that claim.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Only a fool would write the Pats off, or Brady off. This was one game only. The Pats didn't even play that poorly, and Brady threw some really nice passes. They just didn't get much pass rush from the front 7, blew some coverages - or seemed out of sync or even confused by some of KC's offense, and at times the OL was a bit shaky. But the story really was the Chiefs. Sure, it's just one game in September, but ignore them, or fail to credit just how well drilled they were, and how complete they were in all phases of the game, at your own peril.

As to Cowherd's comment on Smith starting for certain next year and Mahomes sitting again, that's total speculation, it has to be. Smith could have an MVP season, or a series of crap games late, or get hurt. Or Mahomes could step in and play fantastic, or falter. Any of these factors and more would obviously influence that decision.
Mahomes is sexy Vino-style. Andy Reed sees him as the new-Favre, and he does considering the moving up the draft, he's a stud: watch out! In the meantime, it was made very clear that Alex is the Man. He's much better than most give him credit for. So are the Chiefs.

The Pats will bounce back. No doubt. But that little shovel pass is something that got them every time. Adjusting to it means weakening something else. The Emperor and his hoody are planning for their come back. Bellichick will get the thing back on track.

In Mike and Mike, Greenie predicts the Chiefs to lose the Superbowl to Seattle. We'll see.

Go Chiefs!!!

Well, they are two of the better teams in the league.

Only posting predictions of games I put thought into:

BAL@CIN - It looks like Flacco will start. I think the Bengals have OL and DL issues.
PIT@CLE - Let's be serious, is anyone picking the Browns? Still, curious how DeShone Kizer plays.
ARI@DET - The Cardinals have beaten the Lions seven times in a row, but I'll take the Lions.
JAX@HOU - Though Savage is starting, the Texans probably have two QB's better than either what Jax has.
PHI@WAS - Washington lost some players, but I like Cousins throwing the ball to Pryor. How well can Wentz play?
IND@LA Rams - No Luck, means no chance for the Colts, even against the Rams. Goff 0-7 last year.
SEA@GB - Let's see if Rodgers has more freedom to do whatever he wants, like reported. But I'm curious how the probably upgraded Pack DL does against the sketchy Seahawk Ol and Wilson.
OAK@TEN - This is a tough game for me, I worry about the Raiders defense, but I think the O will move the ball here.
CAR@SF - The Niners looked okay in the pre-season with their reboot, but the Panthers are still way better.
NYG@DAL - Cowboys looked uneven in pre-season, but the gang is all there, at home. Game should be close though.
NO@MIN - Much is made of Peterson's return to Minnesota in a Saints uniform, but look for NO to change little and Brees to throw the ball a lot. But I think the Viks are a little better overall, and at home.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, they are two of the better teams in the league.

Only posting predictions of games I put thought into:

BAL@CIN - It looks like Flacco will start. I think the Bengals have OL and DL issues.
PIT@CLE - Let's be serious, is anyone picking the Browns? Still, curious how DeShone Kizer plays.
ARI@DET - The Cardinals have beaten the Lions seven times in a row, but I'll take the Lions.
JAX@HOU - Though Savage is starting, the Texans probably have two QB's better than either what Jax has.
PHI@WAS - Washington lost some players, but I like Cousins throwing the ball to Pryor. How well can Wentz play?
IND@LA Rams - No Luck, means no chance for the Colts, even against the Rams. Goff 0-7 last year.
SEA@GB - Let's see if Rodgers has more freedom to do whatever he wants, like reported. But I'm curious how the probably upgraded Pack DL does against the sketchy Seahawk Ol and Wilson.
OAK@TEN - This is a tough game for me, I worry about the Raiders defense, but I think the O will move the ball here.
CAR@SF - The Niners looked okay in the pre-season with their reboot, but the Panthers are still way better.
NYG@DAL - Cowboys looked uneven in pre-season, but the gang is all there, at home. Game should be close though.
NO@MIN - Much is made of Peterson's return to Minnesota in a Saints uniform, but look for NO to change little and Brees to throw the ball a lot. But I think the Viks are a little better overall, and at home.

Carolina game could be an interesting one. I pick the Giants to beat the Cowboys. The Colts might start investing in an O line with Luck injured again. Philly to beat Washington. Seahawks and Packers should be a good one.

Agree that writing off the Pats would be silly. BUT: for a long time they have been able to play "next man up", some of that is skillful coaching, some of that is getting the right guy, and some of that is just luck (the right guy was available at that time, less injuries, UDFA who is a stud, etc). I wonder if they started to think that they could do that forever.

Its also hard to tell if NE wasn't on, or if KC just made them look that way. They looked pretty good early so that makes me think that it was KC.

Star Spangled Banner Protests: I have no problem with anyone kneeling or sitting for the National Anthem. I have considerable respect for those who have been directly affected by what they are protesting, but I also respect those who want to use their position to protest for others.

Kaep: he was one of the first, and became the figure head of a movement...and maybe now the martyr. He might also be the example of how not do things beyond kneeling. I can't help but wonder if how he has handled himself has made him a less effective protester. I have to wonder if he could be a Raven as I type this. There are other players who have protested, and are on rosters (same team).

Disclaimer: I'm a white guy in a very white state so I won't for a second pretend that I know what its like.

In the NFL previews on both networks, but especially CBS, there was a lot of talk on Kaepernick, how it's not fair he's not playing. Only Bill Cowher commented that Kaep's inability to win, and a possible question of work ethic, was part of the reason. But even he said what others did, that Kaepernicek needs to get in front of the camera more and speak for himself. Well, the only issue I have with this, is as I noted before - just look at his Twitter account over the last year plus, it's nearly all politics, no football. Much of it bordering on controversial, such as a retweet showing which owners donated heaps of money to Trump. A lot of it on race and rights. So, what's he going to go on camera and talk about, regarding trying to get a job in the NFL, if he's not tweeting about it now? It makes me wonder if he really, truly wants to play football. And since he's moved to NYC (I believe, he bought a $3m condo there, sold his house in the South Bay), this all would lead me to believe if he were to go on camera, he'd do so announcing a campaign for city council, or the state legislature in NY.

And we have our answer to the question of which QB will be benched first, the answer is Tom Savage, who lasted all of one half for the Texans against the Jags, replaced by Watson.

Raiders offense looks really good. All phases of the game. But just some beautiful passes from Carr.

SEA's O line is not good. Its hard to evaluate the rest of the offense. I agree with Aikman that a few questionable calls hurt SEA (6 points for sure maybe as many as 14, plus missing one of their best DBs).

Yes, Raiders look good. The Eagles had moments (they could be better than I expected). Greenbay looks like the Packers. Great 4Q for the Lions. The Jags, Panthers, Rams, and Ravens won big. Bills, Falcons, and Steelers 1-0, but I din't see anything from those games yet so can't comment.

EDIT: Dak looked too excited early, but settled down and looked good. It looks like the Cowboys will be tough this year.

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
leftover pie said:
so many teams seem to be on the verge of turmoil with questions over QB.. so i'd love to hear people's predictions:

-Which starting QB will be benched first* (no need to answer that til Week 1)
1st QB benched: Houston's starter. No matter who gets to start day-1. But my guess is Savage or Weeden will be replaced by Deshaun Watson. Or Osweiller for Deshone Kiser. Not Paxton Lynch or Pat Mahomes yet.

emphatically answered and emphatically correct.

Having kept an eye on the Texans since I watched them in Hard Knocks, it seems they just churn through their QBs, at some point do they just need to pick someone and stick with them, even through a bad stretch.

The revolving door at QB has to lead to QBs feeling like they need to force throws that aren't there or try and do too much.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Well that was a great interview with Jimmy Johnson that Cowherd did and I love listening to Jimmy in that kind of a setting. Just about everybody can learn something from Johnson. In fact, in his coaching days he was regarded as the best teacher of the game in the NFL. At that same time Bill Belichick was considered the best game planner. Both of those opinions coming from NFL head coaching peers.

So during the interview the topic turned to Jared Goff, who apparently had a pretty good game for the Rams last weekend. Colin Cowherd asked Jimmy what he sees in Goff now. Jimmy hemmed and hawed a little bit but finally came up with this:
I don't like to say this about coaches, but last year Jared Goff really was not coached very well.
Sounds like there is hope for Jared Goff.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Well that was a great interview with Jimmy Johnson that Cowherd did and I love listening to Jimmy in that kind of a setting. Just about everybody can learn something from Johnson. In fact, in his coaching days he was regarded as the best teacher of the game in the NFL. At that same time Bill Belichick was considered the best game planner. Both of those opinions coming from NFL head coaching peers.

So during the interview the topic turned to Jared Goff, who apparently had a pretty good game for the Rams last weekend. Colin Cowherd asked Jimmy what he sees in Goff now. Jimmy hemmed and hawed a little bit but finally came up with this:
I don't like to say this about coaches, but last year Jared Goff really was not coached very well.

Yeah it seems that Jeff Fisher was on quite a few hit lists. People were lining up and complaining about his contract extension and the fact that with Fisher the Rams would be never better than average. i think McVay will be good for Goff and might have an easier transition than Shanahan does at the 49ers. But I agree with Cowherd about Goff's physique. From the reports I read, the Colts were terrible as was the QB and once again people were questioning why Kaep wasn't signed when the severity of Luck's injury was known long ago and that an operation was imminent. Brissett can't get on the field soon enough it seems.

on3m@n@rmy said:
SEA OL looking strong this year (I mean, bad):
https://instagram.com/p/BY4mLy_Hau4/
Edit... in case u could not see the image (& thoughts!) Via Instagram:
DJZJMFeVYAAwFoH.jpg

Four SEA guys can't block 3 Packers! SEA is wasting QB & defensive talent. No surprise.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:

Yeah it seems that Jeff Fisher was on quite a few hit lists. People were lining up and complaining about his contract extension and the fact that with Fisher the Rams would be never better than average. i think McVay will be good for Goff and might have an easier transition than Shanahan does at the 49ers. But I agree with Cowherd about Goff's physique. From the reports I read, the Colts were terrible as was the QB and once again people were questioning why Kaep wasn't signed when the severity of Luck's injury was known long ago and that an operation was imminent. Brissett can't get on the field soon enough it seems.
Goff's stats Sunday confirms solid play:
21/29, 72.4 cmp%, 306 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int, 10.6 YPA,
Rating 117.9.

I didn't watch MNF (no cable), but the numbers look good for MIN. If Bradford, Cook, Thielen, Diggs have those numbers, the O line must be good. How was the D? NOLA numbers were solid so the MIN D might need to tighten up? DB spread the ball around (5 guys with 40+ yards, but no one with 100+). Is Cook going to have a Elliott type rookie season?

EDIT: I didn't watch it, but HOU is 1-1. How did Watson look (considering his O line is not good).

Re:

jmdirt said:
Interesting about SF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6CtgLngLI

Interesting about his kids playing football (about 7:00 min in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy-ZqR8OEJ8

Yeah watched a few parts of the long interview including these two. I like the interviewers style of letting Smith talk and not interrupting which happens too much in interviews these days. I agree with him about the kids not needing to play tackle and the 49ers dysfunction from all reports was bad. Too bad this interview was split into so many segments instead of just the one long interview. The suicide segment about losing his best friend at the same time as being replaced by Kaep was very interesting. Very good interview. Smith seems like a decent guy and an honest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_pNZ0sPHuM

talks about his friend

We've discussed this before, but D holding of a receiver before the pass should not be an auto first down. Who knows if that receiver would have been the target, and who knows if they would have caught it. It should be a five yard penalty, and replay down. On a similar note, O holding should be five yards, and replay down.

Alpe, you and I disagreed about the new PI rule...so far you are correct on that one.

TRENDING THREADS