• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 485 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unbelievable how quickly this fell apart:

"The future for Dwayne Haskins looks uncertain at this point. There are a few teams in the NFL that could be looking for their signal-caller, but has Haskins shown enough to convince front offices to take a risk on him? His time in Washington could make front office executives hesitant on bringing him in. He lacked maturity there, and they want to see if he is mature enough to handle the responsibility of being an NFL quarterback."

"Playing in the NFL is a rare opportunity, and Haskins might’ve just blown his only one because of his inconsistent play and immaturity. He will be part of an underwhelming free-agent class of quarterbacks. With many teams having their franchise quarterback set in stone, it will be hard for Haskins to find his way back to a starting role in 2021. It might be hard for him to find an opportunity to back someone up, given his track record."

Unbelievable how quickly this fell apart:

"The future for Dwayne Haskins looks uncertain at this point. There are a few teams in the NFL that could be looking for their signal-caller, but has Haskins shown enough to convince front offices to take a risk on him? His time in Washington could make front office executives hesitant on bringing him in. He lacked maturity there, and they want to see if he is mature enough to handle the responsibility of being an NFL quarterback."

"Playing in the NFL is a rare opportunity, and Haskins might’ve just blown his only one because of his inconsistent play and immaturity. He will be part of an underwhelming free-agent class of quarterbacks. With many teams having their franchise quarterback set in stone, it will be hard for Haskins to find his way back to a starting role in 2021. It might be hard for him to find an opportunity to back someone up, given his track record."
After he said other teams made a mistake on him. He got bounced faster than Johnny Football. I wish Alex didn't get injured again. WFT is a lot better with him.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Green Bay have to beat the Bears to wrap up the NFC unless Seattle and the Saints both lose which is very unlikely. but if they lose and the Hawks and Saints win then the waters are muddied. Three teams can still win the NFC Least. If the Bears lose and the Cardinals beat the Rams the NFC West could have three teams in the playoffs. The Chiefs are expected to rest players as are some of the other teams like the Bills and Steelers. The Ravens are being talked about as a team to watch in the playoffs, Lamar really needs to get that first playoff win, first things first. I still think the NFC is very open and the Bills look good in the AFC and could be the testing material for the Chiefs. The 49ers have lost more players to Covid and injury so it would be a shock to see the Hawks lose, the wounded Rams, and Cardinals should be much closer, a lot depends on the Rams back up QB. If Alex Smith plays for Washington I expect them to beat the Eagles and win the division and Skip Bayless will be disconsolate with his Cowboys ! The Eagles have been playing better though. I think the Jets have a good chance to beat the Patriots and win their third game is a row. The word is that the Jets coach Adam Gase will be gone after the final game. Sure he won't be the only one. Lots of names being thrown around for the Jets job among others.49ers DC Robert Saleh also being linked to Detroit by some. for the head coach job.

Happy for Ron Rivera and Alex Smith. Bears sneak into the playoffs. GB get the first round bye and the Rams have to play the Hawks again next week ! Surprised the 49ers pushed the Hawks but then again maybe not. Neither team needs motivation for that game ! Always a grudge game even when its meaningless to the 49ers playoff chances.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
The super-sized schedule for the opening weekend of the playoffs has been announced.

The NFL released the schedule for the Super Wild Card Weekend during the broadcast for Sunday's Washington Football Team-Philadelphia Eagles game.

Saturday, Jan. 9

• AFC No. 7 seed Indianapolis Colts at AFC No. 2 seed Buffalo Bills, 1:05 p.m. ET (CBS)
  • NFC No. 6 seed Los Angeles Rams at NFC No. 3 seed Seattle Seahawks, 4:40 p.m. ET (FOX)
  • NFC No. 5 seed Tampa Bay Buccaneers at NFC No. 4 seed Washington Football Team, 8:15 p.m. ET (NBC)

Sunday, Jan. 10

• AFC No. 5 seed Baltimore Ravens at AFC No. 4 seed Tennessee Titans, 1:05 p.m. ET (ABC, ESPN)
  • NFC No. 7 seed Chicago Bears at NFC No. 2 seed New Orleans Saints, 4:40 p.m. ET (CBS, Nick, Amazon Prime Video)
  • AFC No. 6 seed Cleveland Browns at AFC No. 3 seed Pittsburgh Steelers, 8:15 p.m. ET (NBC, Telemundo, Peacock)

The Divisional Playoffs schedule will be announced once all wild card games have been played.

Reactions: jmdirt
The super-sized schedule for the opening weekend of the playoffs has been announced.

The NFL released the schedule for the Super Wild Card Weekend during the broadcast for Sunday's Washington Football Team-Philadelphia Eagles game.

Saturday, Jan. 9

• AFC No. 7 seed Indianapolis Colts at AFC No. 2 seed Buffalo Bills, 1:05 p.m. ET (CBS)
  • NFC No. 6 seed Los Angeles Rams at NFC No. 3 seed Seattle Seahawks, 4:40 p.m. ET (FOX)
  • NFC No. 5 seed Tampa Bay Buccaneers at NFC No. 4 seed Washington Football Team, 8:15 p.m. ET (NBC)
Sunday, Jan. 10

• AFC No. 5 seed Baltimore Ravens at AFC No. 4 seed Tennessee Titans, 1:05 p.m. ET (ABC, ESPN)
  • NFC No. 7 seed Chicago Bears at NFC No. 2 seed New Orleans Saints, 4:40 p.m. ET (CBS, Nick, Amazon Prime Video)
  • AFC No. 6 seed Cleveland Browns at AFC No. 3 seed Pittsburgh Steelers, 8:15 p.m. ET (NBC, Telemundo, Peacock)
The Divisional Playoffs schedule will be announced once all wild card games have been played.
Am I the only one tired of seeing the Rams play Seattle? I would like to see Alex/Washington have a great game and move on to the next round, though.

Chargers fire Anthony Lynn after four seasons:

Somewhat of a surprise; Lynn posted a 33-31 regular season mark and a 1-1 postseason mark.

Generally speaking, when starting a rookie QB drafted as the team's franchise player, head coaches usually are cut some slack in that first year with much higher expectations for the 2nd year, assuming the QB doesn't get injured and can play most or all of the 2nd season.

Reactions: movingtarget
Am I the only one tired of seeing the Rams play Seattle? I would like to see Alex/Washington have a great game and move on to the next round, though.
...or CLE vs. PIT two weeks in a row. I dislike the division play that happens at the end of every season where teams play each other twice within a few weeks and then maybe again in the playoffs.

Maybe WFT D can hold TB down, but even then the O will have to score 21 ish to stay in the game.

I'm with you, I love that AS is playing again. I wonder how much more improvement he can make by next season? Getting even some of his mobility back would be huge. WFT obviously needs to find a young guy either in the draft or free agency, and AS can mentor yet another young QB. I wonder if AS and Rivera could be the magic combo to make Winston a top QB (his 2019 season was amazing except for the 30 INTs, cut those in half...)?

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
...or CLE vs. PIT two weeks in a row. I dislike the division play that happens at the end of every season where teams play each other twice within a few weeks and then maybe again in the playoffs.

Maybe WFT D can hold TB down, but even then the O will have to score 21 ish to stay in the game.

I'm with you, I love that AS is playing again. I wonder how much more improvement he can make by next season? Getting even some of his mobility back would be huge. WFT obviously needs to find a young guy either in the draft or free agency, and AS can mentor yet another young QB. I wonder if AS and Rivera could be the magic combo to make Winston a top QB (his 2019 season was amazing except for the 30 INTs, cut those in half...)?
IMO Winston has always been his own worst advisor. His initial allure was based on much physical skill and that's been battered into semi-relevancy. I haven't watched much of his play this year but in the past he seemed a little skittish.

IMO Winston has always been his own worst advisor. His initial allure was based on much physical skill and that's been battered into semi-relevancy. I haven't watched much of his play this year but in the past he seemed a little skittish.
Skitish is a good word to describe him when things don't happen the way he expected. His brief play this year was, well, too brief to draw any conclusions. His 2019 year was great (5,000 passing yards), but he also had 30 ints. IMO he has all of the tools to be really good, but just needs the right person/people to guide him. I thought that NOLA might be that place. Maybe he has learned a ton just being around DB, but they clearly don't intend to use him for anything but the scout team, and backup to the backup because Hill is QB 2. WFT would be a great place for him to learn, Smith, Rivera, Turner have as good a chance as any of making him a top 10 QB. WFT spot in the draft likely won't get them a top 10 QB, and if you look at some of the backup play this weekend, other teams aren't loaded with stars to trade.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Skitish is a good word to describe him when things don't happen the way he expected. His brief play this year was, well, too brief to draw any conclusions. His 2019 year was great (5,000 passing yards), but he also had 30 ints. IMO he has all of the tools to be really good, but just needs the right person/people to guide him. I thought that NOLA might be that place. Maybe he has learned a ton just being around DB, but they clearly don't intend to use him for anything but the scout team, and backup to the backup because Hill is QB 2. WFT would be a great place for him to learn, Smith, Rivera, Turner have as good a chance as any of making him a top 10 QB. WFT spot in the draft likely won't get them a top 10 QB, and if you look at some of the backup play this weekend, other teams aren't loaded with stars to trade.
Had his eye surgery, his distance vision was supposed to be quite bad. This will also probably be the last hurrah for Brees even though the jury is still out on Hill it seems. Hill's real benefit to the team seems to be as a utility player. Wonder what Rivers can do in the playoffs this time ? Washington's defense probably won't be enough to get them past the Bucs but Brady could be in for an interesting time............ Titans/Ravens game should be a fun watch especially with the current form of Lamar and Henry.

Two coaches gone already with Marrone and Lynn , Gase might be next. Eagles and Vikings coaches could go either way. Can't see the Cowboys not sticking with McCarthy for the moment but don't tell Skip Bayless who wants him gone ! Patriots will probably be on the rebuild along with the Falcons. Free agency will be a very busy. The 49ers will be looking for a refresh while trying to re-sign Warner and a few other elite players. The word is that Shanahan will move on from Jimmy G which counters his public statements. Injury prone QBs lose their lustre after a while.............Patriots also need a QB.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Two coaches gone already with Marrone and Lynn , Gase might be next. Eagles and Vikings coaches could go either way. Can't see the Cowboys not sticking with McCarthy for the moment but don't tell Skip Bayless who wants him gone ! Patriots will probably be on the rebuild along with the Falcons. Free agency will be a very busy. The 49ers will be looking for a refresh while trying to re-sign Warner and a few other elite players. The word is that Shanahan will move on from Jimmy G which counters his public statements. Injury prone QBs lose their lustre after a while.............Patriots also need a QB.
Jimmy G back to NE in a trade for Cam? :D

The entire mostly East Coast press has LA Rams beating Seattle based on Goff's possible skills. Apparently Wilson is now an afterthought in the playoff consideration.
Seattle must like that. Last year they had no running game and somehow made it into the playoffs, limping. I suspect we'll see much more offensive creativity like years prior as the coaching staff seems to sit on several game schemes not used during the regular season. I also like the Seahawks against the Saints.

The entire mostly East Coast press has LA Rams beating Seattle based on Goff's possible skills. Apparently Wilson is now an afterthought in the playoff consideration.
Seattle must like that. Last year they had no running game and somehow made it into the playoffs, limping. I suspect we'll see much more offensive creativity like years prior as the coaching staff seems to sit on several game schemes not used during the regular season. I also like the Seahawks against the Saints.
Rams didn't seem any worse not playing Goff who's form has been very incocnsistent. The back up's first throw was a a pick then he settled down. He also can use his legs better than Goff. I think the Rams will take a big risk playing Goff with an injured thumb. The Rams defense is their strength but their run game has been up and down since Gurley left. Obviously both teams know each other well but I'd be surprised if the Hawks lost this one but for both teams the offense can be a problem when it's not clicking which is why I have to favour the team with the better QB. Both teams were less than great last week as the Hawks had problems putting away the Niners B team and the Rams were up against a wounded Cardinals with an injured QB. The key for the Rams is stopping Russell making big plays as he might only need two or so to win the game and the Seattle run game has looked better lately. On his day Hyde can be very good as well as Carson. Not sure if Akers is back for the Rams at RB. Not expecting a high scoring game unless Russell really cooks and the Rams secondary has an off day.

Well, Seahawks defensive ranks over the final 8 games of the season:
Points allowed: 1st
Yards allowed: 4th
Yards per play: 3rd
Passer rating: 7th
Passing TDs: 1st
Sacks: 2nd
Rushing yards: 5th
EPA/play: 8th

Seattle offense OTOH has been mostly AWOL.

That said, over those 8 games who has Seattle played? (Losses noted)
Rams (L), Cards, Eagles, Giants (L), Jets, WFT, Rams, SF.
Then, QBs faced in those 8 games:
Goff, Murray, Wentz, McCoy, Darnold, Haskins, Goff, Beathard.

Next, QBs they will (or potentially) face:
Goff, Brees or Tom Brady, Rodgers.

So, next Saturday vs Rams I don't have a clue who will win. But, if Seattle survives the Rams their next potential opponents present problems going forward.

TRENDING THREADS