• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 562 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No...I meant they won't feature Russell Wilson running at the crazed 3 stringers trying to make it to the next roster cut. My guess is he's not getting much serious contact at practice. It'd be beyond stupid.
Of course, in the situational red zone scrimmaging the refs will blow the play dead before any sack for either Wilson or Prescott - the QBs will be protected. And neither Wilson or Prescott will see any "crazed 3 stingers" ' it'll be 1st team O against 1st team D. The rest of players will be hitting full-contact - this is where a lot of the fights breakout because of cheap shots, late hits, trash talking, etc. But the coaches got to see who's willing to hit someone & show no mercy - this isn't touchy, feely flag football stuff. Lol.

Enjoy:

View: https://youtu.be/IfgPzIYwxtw

View: https://youtu.be/JPk2rM7leLE

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldermanish
A guy on the trail this morning said that he read something about a trade: Jimmy G for Baker. but I don't see anything about it on the www. That could be interesting...
Say what? Mayfield to sit on the bench behind Lance? While Jimmy G...I presume starts for the Browns while Watson sits (another) season out?

Unless the thought is Jimmy G goes to Cleveland, and Baker goes to SF where the 49ers eat his money, then ship him to Seattle (or Carolina) where he'll get some sort of new deal?

Reactions: jmdirt
Of course, in the situational red zone scrimmaging the refs will blow the play dead before any sack for either Wilson or Prescott - the QBs will be protected. And neither Wilson or Prescott will see any "crazed 3 stingers" ' it'll be 1st team O against 1st team D. The rest of players will be hitting full-contact - this is where a lot of the fights breakout because of cheap shots, late hits, trash talking, etc. But the coaches got to see who's willing to hit someone & show no mercy - this isn't touchy, feely flag football stuff. Lol.

Enjoy:

View: https://youtu.be/IfgPzIYwxtw

View: https://youtu.be/JPk2rM7leLE
That looked more WWE posturing at the start....then went high-school rivalry fighting! Coaches love it when noone serious is involved.

Baker Mayfield traded to the Panthers for a conditional 2024 5th round pick. Could turn into a 4th round pick depending on his playing time.
A conditional 5th round pick? LMAO. What a clown show with NFL QBs these days. What a bust Mayfield is: Thee #1 OA pick from 2018 ends up getting traded to a lousy team for a conditional 5th rd pick. And what a perpetual nightmare Rhule has with another bust in injury-prone Darnold competing against injury-prone & whiner Mayfield for the starting job (or will it be a rotating system favoring the QB who refrains from getting injured & screws up the least). And Rhule better get his act together down there & start getting a few more wins - he's an unimpressive 10-23 in two seasons with 3rd & 4th place finishes in the division. Lol.

Last edited:
So what is plan C for the Browns?
If Watson gets a shorter than expected suspension I think they stick with the back up Brissett. If it's a full season maybe Jimmy G comes into play but I don't think the 49ers will do the Browns any favours with the trade after what they spent getting Lance or maybe they just want to move on and will be more reasonable than they might have been a few months ago. Jimmy will pick up a job anyway but this might be his best chance to get a starter's position or maybe some teams will wait until he's cut and get him cheaper. Some rumor doing the rounds that the Giants might be interested. I'd be surprised if Seattle went after Jimmy. I think they will wait for the next draft or free agency.

The clown show is in Cleveland if you ask me. I also think Mayfield is better than Darnold, without question. He just needs to grow up. Some do, some don’t. If he does at all, it’s a great deal for the Panthers. If not, the expectations on them are low this year anyway.

That would be hilarious if the Browns got Jimmy G. That means they’d be paying him, Watson, and part of Mayfield this year! And gave up a heap of draft picks in the process. What makes this debacle there extra stupid is that the Browns are built to win now, really. Could they with Mayfield? They were 11-5 in 2020. But they won’t be that good with Brisett, or Garappolo, or likely Watson playing 4-6 games (if they are really lucky). Plus, it seems they’ve pissed off a heap of fans in Cleveland in the process.

Let’s also not forget Watsons contract is 100% guaranteed, first player in NFL history to get that. His salary in 2023-2025 will be a whopping $55m per year, even if he sucks. Even if he gets hurt by his own doing off the field. That’s $14m per year more than Patrick Mahomes. $11m more per year than Josh Allen’s new contract.

So, the clown show of the NFL is Cleveland. Just as it has been for years and years. The gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah Watson’s agent deserves whatever his fee percentage is. They’re paying Baker to play and potentially beat them week one. They screwed up stating they didn’t want Baker and not moving him before getting Watson to keep him as a back up, all while talking bad on him in public. They didn’t think they’d lose him. While not in the top two tiers of quarterback play, he can reach top 10 for a week or longer but then also has the lows. With the same roster they had, I’m sure the team and he performs better with a better or even more stable coaching staff.

The clown show is in Cleveland if you ask me. I also think Mayfield is better than Darnold, without question. He just needs to grow up. Some do, some don’t. If he does at all, it’s a great deal for the Panthers. If not, the expectations on them are low this year anyway.

That would be hilarious if the Browns got Jimmy G. That means they’d be paying him, Watson, and part of Mayfield this year! And gave up a heap of draft picks in the process. What makes this debacle there extra stupid is that the Browns are built to win now, really. Could they with Mayfield? They were 11-5 in 2020. But they won’t be that good with Brisett, or Garappolo, or likely Watson playing 4-6 games (if they are really lucky). Plus, it seems they’ve pissed off a heap of fans in Cleveland in the process.

Let’s also not forget Watsons contract is 100% guaranteed, first player in NFL history to get that. His salary in 2023-2025 will be a whopping $55m per year, even if he sucks. Even if he gets hurt by his own doing off the field. That’s $14m per year more than Patrick Mahomes. $11m more per year than Josh Allen’s new contract.

So, the clown show of the NFL is Cleveland. Just as it has been for years and years. The gift that keeps on giving.
I know that the QB market is always evolving but I thought the contract for Watson was absurd. If the money paid to Dak, Goff, Cousins and Ryan wasn't absurd enough and 49ers fans were complaining about paying Jimmy G 27 because he couldn't win the SB ! Baker at 18 is a bargain for a starter and if he can settle down at the Panthers who are rebuilding, he should be their long term option. If he doesn't then the coach and Baker will probably be gone and they will look to the draft moving forward. Now the talk is about Jimmy to Seattle or the Giants. Seattle and the 49ers know each other so well that if the 49ers simply want to move on I don't think they will be too concerned with moving him to a divisional rival but the Giants would probably make more sense and they might offer more.

I would agree Mayfield is better than Darnold but I think that's not saying much considering just how bad Darnold is. #3 OA and couldn't get job done in 3 yrs at NY because of poor performance & injuries. So, the Jets jettison their franchise QB to Carolina where he again performs poorly & misses several games due to injury. The guy is walking on thin ice and is on the verge of becoming another Blaine Gabbert. Lol.

So definitely Mayfield is step up on Darnold, but he's underachieving for a #1 OA. Given all the offensive weapons he had at Cleveland, one of the best O-lines & a solid defense, he should have had the team in at least the AFC Championship by now. Things looked good in 2020 making the playoffs & getting a win before bowing out in the divisional round. So, barring a complete destruction of the offense, the expectations last year would have been at least the championship game. But instead they did a complete reversal & didn't even make playoffs due to his poor play. FFS, he's a #1 OA - he's got to make plays, he's got to be able to single-handley change the dynamics of a game, he's got to find a way to win, etc. No one is interested in his excuses or his whining - at the end of the day it's all about "W's" & he failed miserably last year.

The expectations are going to be just as high at Carolina. He's got some weapons there in Moore & Anderson, and if Christian Mac can stay healthy for once, he has arguably the best all-around RB in the league. So, just winning a few more games over last year's pathetic 5-11 season isn't going to cut it. I say barring injuries he needs to lead the team to the playoffs or if no playoffs then 9/10 wins. Anything short of this he's a bust and the making of another Sam Bradford. And another losing season for Rhule - making 3 in a row - I would think he's gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Remember though, Mayfield played hurt much of last year. Also, we can assume Watson is a better QB than Mayfield, based on a head to head comparison from 2020. But is he so very much better considering the price the Browns paid? Plus considering Watson will likely miss a second year in a row now and not okay at all this season? That I doubt. That’s why I think the whole Watson thing is just a disaster.

Article today about how Panthers OC Ben McAdoo didn’t like Mayfield. Too slow. Too short, and, are you ready? The whole “baby hands” thing. What a joke that is. Remember how worried scouts were that Jarod Goff wouldn’t be able to hold on to the football due to his baby hands? Same with Jimmy G? Or Joe Burrow even joked about retiring due to his tiny hands. Well, last year Goff, Burrow and Mayfield all were in the lower third of fumbles. Jimmy G about middle of the league. All about half as many as big hands Dak Prescott. Mind boggling the metrics some coaches use to evaluate players. Mayfields weakness are bad decision making in critical situations, and he’s too cocky at times. Let’s also not forget McAdoo was a terrible coach for the Giants.

Sounds like you're making excuses for him. He had a torn labrum on his non-throwing shoulder - big deal. You tape it up & the team medical staff can administer pain meds & they're good to go. If it was any injury to this throwing shoulder/arm - then he couldn't be expected to play.

He's definitely too short by today's QB standards (a tad over 6 ft) as well as slow & not very mobile. I remember there were a few scouts that thought he was a low 1st/high 2nd rd draft pick at best - no way near a #1 OA. He had tremendous offensive talent last year but yet regressed from a playoff team to a sub-500 team. Lol

:laughing:

Last edited:
Remember though, Mayfield played hurt much of last year. Also, we can assume Watson is a better QB than Mayfield, based on a head to head comparison from 2020. But is he so very much better considering the price the Browns paid? Plus considering Watson will likely miss a second year in a row now and not okay at all this season? That I doubt. That’s why I think the whole Watson thing is just a disaster.

Article today about how Panthers OC Ben McAdoo didn’t like Mayfield. Too slow. Too short, and, are you ready? The whole “baby hands” thing. What a joke that is. Remember how worried scouts were that Jarod Goff wouldn’t be able to hold on to the football due to his baby hands? Same with Jimmy G? Or Joe Burrow even joked about retiring due to his tiny hands. Well, last year Goff, Burrow and Mayfield all were in the lower third of fumbles. Jimmy G about middle of the league. All about half as many as big hands Dak Prescott. Mind boggling the metrics some coaches use to evaluate players. Mayfields weakness are bad decision making in critical situations, and he’s too cocky at times. Let’s also not forget McAdoo was a terrible coach for the Giants.

Even in the shortness thing hasn't hurt Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson but both of them are also elusive which helps spotting WRs downfield. Mayfield like Jimmy G and maybe also Tannehill have problems more with decision making and forcing throws that a Rodgers might make but not them. Even Stafford who is tall, turns over the ball a lot even as a veteran but he also has the luxury of having Kupp who is in career best form. Going all in on Stafford won them the SB as Goff wasn't going to get it done.

Reactions: jmdirt
I think the Browns were hoping Mayfield would be the next Drew Brees, or close. Ha!

No need to make excuses for Mayfield. As I said, his biggest issue is poor decision making in critical situations. All great QB's have had key games they've blown due to bad decisions. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers come to mind. They get criticized for it often. But in the big picture, greats rise above those moments. I don't think we ever saw any indication Mayfield was going to rise to that level. He looked (looks) more like on the same trajectory of an Andy Dalton, or maybe Carson Wentz. One of you mentioned Sam Bradford. Sam was a better player I think, just hurt too often in his career. Sam was also always much more grown up. A gentleman.

Baker at 18 is a bargain for a starter and if he can settle down at the Panthers who are rebuilding.
Let's not forget, the Clown Browns are paying $10m of that! So Carolina only pays $8m! This is in the Mitch Trubiski, Tyrod Taylor pay range!
I remember there were a few scouts that thought he was a low 1st/high 2nd rd draft pick at best - no way near a #1 OA. He had tremendous offensive talent last year but yet regressed from a playoff team to a sub-500 team. Lol
No, never near that level in his career. More like Andy Dalton, like I said, who was taken in the 2nd round. Baker's arm strength was quite good, as was his accuracy mid-field. But he was considered short, not mobile, and would try to force plays, or not pull the trigger early in plays, which often translates into bad news at the NFL level. Oh, and the tiny hands thing. :rolleyes:

Five QBs were taken in the first round the year Mayfield was drafted:

#1 - Mayfield.
#3 - Sam Darnold - Seemed to have a lot of upside, but that upside never really panned out. Going to the Jets also killed hope of that.
#7 - Josh Allen - Seemed wild, but landed on the perfect team for him in every single way. MVP level player now.
#10 - Josh Rosen - Taken by Arizona. Mel Kieper said he was the best QB in the draft and NFL ready. He never got used to NFL speed, and never seemed serious. Pretty much a near total bust. The following year Arizona dumped him to get Kyler Murray.
#31 - Lamar Jackson - Was considered a risk. Called a RB or WR by some scouts. Ended up winning an MVP, and is still one of the most dangerous QBs in the league, and a much better passer than most anyone expected.

Mason Rudolph is the only other QB taken that year who's seen decent playing time. Better than Josh Rosen. Almost as good as Sam Darnold.

I think the Browns were hoping Mayfield would be the next Drew Brees, or close. Ha!

No need to make excuses for Mayfield. As I said, his biggest issue is poor decision making in critical situations. All great QB's have had key games they've blown due to bad decisions. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers come to mind. They get criticized for it often. But in the big picture, greats rise above those moments. I don't think we ever saw any indication Mayfield was going to rise to that level. He looked (looks) more like on the same trajectory of an Andy Dalton, or maybe Carson Wentz. One of you mentioned Sam Bradford. Sam was a better player I think, just hurt too often in his career. Sam was also always much more grown up. A gentleman.

Let's not forget, the Clown Browns are paying $10m of that! So Carolina only pays $8m! This is in the Mitch Trubiski, Tyrod Taylor pay range!

No, never near that level in his career. More like Andy Dalton, like I said, who was taken in the 2nd round. Baker's arm strength was quite good, as was his accuracy mid-field. But he was considered short, not mobile, and would try to force plays, or not pull the trigger early in plays, which often translates into bad news at the NFL level. Oh, and the tiny hands thing. :rolleyes:

Five QBs were taken in the first round the year Mayfield was drafted:

#1 - Mayfield.
#3 - Sam Darnold - Seemed to have a lot of upside, but that upside never really panned out. Going to the Jets also killed hope of that.
#7 - Josh Allen - Seemed wild, but landed on the perfect team for him in every single way. MVP level player now.
#10 - Josh Rosen - Taken by Arizona. Mel Kieper said he was the best QB in the draft and NFL ready. He never got used to NFL speed, and never seemed serious. Pretty much a near total bust. The following year Arizona dumped him to get Kyler Murray.
#31 - Lamar Jackson - Was considered a risk. Called a RB or WR by some scouts. Ended up winning an MVP, and is still one of the most dangerous QBs in the league, and a much better passer than most anyone expected.

Mason Rudolph is the only other QB taken that year who's seen decent playing time. Better than Josh Rosen. Almost as good as Sam Darnold.
Yeah Baker still has to prove he's a regular starter but I still rate him ahead of Trubisky and Taylor. But Baker may never have a better offense than the one he had at the Browns with two gun RBs and some good but not great receivers. I can't see Trubisky lasting at the Steelers unless the coach does something miraculous. Taylor is injury prone but a better than average back up like Nick Foles. Foles had one great season with a very good team and got his SB win. The 49ers were hoping that JG was going to do the same. Jackson and Murray are getting regularly injured now. Its never easy for running QBs and even the Bills coach wants Allen to run less and he's twice their size. Jackson's passing game has improved Rosen couldn't even keep the QB 3 position at the 49ers.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS