• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 577 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unfortunately, Wagner hasn't been deputized into the venue security. The tool will sue for unspecified injury and trauma even though his ticket purchase qualifications should deny him recourse. Who would pick up Wagner's legal defense costs? Hopefully the Rams.
I read that the NFL attorneys will represent him if needed so there are no legal costs (they are already paid for).

I can't see this actually going to court. The NFL will probably give the guy some shut up money, which is all he is after anyway.

KC Uberfans claim it was purely their defense that convinced Beasley to retire but I'd assume a QB that leaves him more vulnerable than usual might have something to do with it.
Brady puts the pull to save the players from a hit and to pick up yards the vast majority of the time. In comparison, Beasley is the one who fell on his own accord when he had a clear path to a first down untouched. I’d imagine he’d retire from the verbal onslaught from that before any “vulnerable” pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
This guy had NO FEAR. He was always coming up big on serious drive-preserving plays and a kick to watch. KC Uberfans claim it was purely their defense that convinced Beasley to retire but I'd assume a QB that leaves him more vulnerable than usual might have something to do with it.
Not sure what his height and weight were but he always looked like a kid playing with adults Same with Edelman. No doubt they both took some punishment. Edelman probably should have retired earlier.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Beasley had to be one of the most diminutive slot receivers in the history of the game - a tad under 5'8" & a buck 75. I think what got him in the league was decent speed (4.49) & the fact he could just plain catch the ball (he caught a ton of passes his JR & SR year at SMU). He played QB in HS (TX) and they switched him to receiver at SMU or he'd have gone nowhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Brady puts the pull to save the players from a hit and to pick up yards the vast majority of the time. In comparison, Beasley is the one who fell on his own accord when he had a clear path to a first down untouched. I’d imagine he’d retire from the verbal onslaught from that before any “vulnerable” pass.
The first game I watched earlier this season it looked like Brady was way out of synch and was killing all of the receivers.

For TNF you can watch the game with next generation stats so you always see the players stats, player personnel, receivers out, their routes, and win probability. It honestly looks pretty cool for those with not as much knowledge but harder to follow on my phone.
I watched off and on....most of the stats were for dropped balls, I'd guess. Worst game I've seen forever.

Sloppy offensive game from the $250 million QB & Hackett is an understatement. Wilson - no TD passes & 2 picks with a QBR of 54! And they ran out Pat Shurmur for Hackett? Lol. What kind of play calling was that? On 4th down in the OT instead of tying the game with a chip shot FG & extending the OT, Wilson targets Tyrie Cleveland (who?) against Stephon Gilmore -- arguably the best corner in the league. Hammler was wide open in the endzone. Wilson isn't seeing the field for some reason. But you expect better from one of the highest paid players & a SB winning QB. That was crunch time for Wilson to shine & show he's one of the best. This offense is starting to look pathetic.

Good to see Denver product & former Bronco Phillip Lindsay get some significant playing time (11 carries & 3 catches). Elway jettisoned him way too early a couple years ago. Maybe he can catch on with Indy & get in their RB rotation.

Last edited:
What an awful game. If you have a chance to watch it, don't. Don't even watch the hi-lights, there aren't any worth watching. Maybe the last play. A nice play by Gilmore, on a bad decision throw by Russ.

Hackett has to be on the hottest seat in the NFL, though I don't think that will solve Denver's problems. But someone tell me this. He was OC for GB, and in the playoffs decides to kick a FG on 4th and goal instead of having Aaron Rodgers take a shot at putting the Packers in the lead. Here, instead of just kicking a FG to tie the game (when his defense is playing hard), he has Russell Wilson, who hasn't played well all season, try an all or nothing pass on 4th and goal that results in a bad throw, and loss. WTF?

If the Wilson trade with Seattle looked bad for Denver before, right now it looks like one of the worst trades in history. Did Pete Carroll carry Russ longer than we think? I mean, look at how well Geno is playing...

Sloppy offensive game from the $250 million QB & Hackett is an understatement. Wilson - no TD passes & 2 picks with a QBR of 54! And they ran out Pat Shurmur for Hackett? Lol. What kind of play calling was that? On 4th down in the OT instead of tying the game with a chip shot FG & extending the OT, Wilson targets Tyrie Cleveland (who?) against Stephon Gilmore -- arguably the best corner in the league. Hammler was wide open in the endzone. Wilson isn't seeing the field for some reason. But you expect better from one of the highest paid players & a SB winning QB. That was crunch time for Wilson to shine & show he's one of the best. This offense is starting to look pathetic.

Good to see Denver product & former Bronco Phillip Lindsay get some significant playing time (11 carries & 3 catches). Elway jettisoned him way too early a couple years ago. Maybe he can catch on with Indy & get in their RB rotation.
Must be offputting when an elite QB signs a huge contract at a new team and fans are booing from the get go ! That said Wilson is clearly not the player he was which was why I was confused as to why they offered him such a contract. But when you look at the history of the QB position for Denver in recent times it kinda makes sense. If they couldn't get Watson they were going to take the next best option over the likes of Wentz, Trubisky etc, the type of players they had been signing without success. The Denver coach and Wilson have to get it right otherwise the media will be merciless and with all of the guaranteed money, Wilson is going nowhere...........

Hackett has to be on the hottest seat in the NFL, though I don't think that will solve Denver's problems. But someone tell me this. He was OC for GB, and in the playoffs decides to kick a FG on 4th and goal instead of having Aaron Rodgers take a shot at putting the Packers in the lead. Here, instead of just kicking a FG to tie the game (when his defense is playing hard), he has Russell Wilson, who hasn't played well all season, try an all or nothing pass on 4th and goal that results in a bad throw, and loss. WTF?

If the Wilson trade with Seattle looked bad for Denver before, right now it looks like one of the worst trades in history. Did Pete Carroll carry Russ longer than we think? I mean, look at how well Geno is playing...
GB would have tied with a two point conversion and yes that was ridiculous, especially if they didn’t tell Rodgers they’d kick the field goal.

Has his kicker kick a 64 yarder when the team needs 1 yard and has 3 timeouts in the bank. Now same thing happened last night when they needed a yard. But they wouldn’t have needed that if the turnovers happen when they were in field goal range. The Broncos needed a better quarterback from last year that wouldn’t make those mistakes and you’d think Wilson was going to be better but he hasn’t been.

I think the trade was always bad for Wilson caliber of player. That’s something I’d throw to get Mahomes, Allen, or Herbert.

On a side note, Peyton was there in the Broncos booth probably hoping his new team would beat his old team to no avail.

Bobby Wagner...I can't see this actually going to court. The NFL will probably give the guy some shut up money, which is all he is after anyway.
Fans of history may remember this has happened before. Back in like 1970 a drunk fan ran out onto the field of a Baltimore (Colts) game, and grabbed the football. Colts MLB Mike "Mad Dog" Curtis leveled the guy. The guy tried to sue Curtis and a few others. It was thrown out of court.

Link to tackle here.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
OOOOh, that can't be since you live in the PNW, and watch SEA. I have suffered through countless horrible Seahawk games over the years. :cry:
Honestly I get tired of seeing Seattle, Raiders, Broncos, and Cardinals a lot of the times. This year Las Vegas is getting more east coast games though.

Also so far we’re not blessed like last year with all of the prime time games being really good. Sure last night the defenses both came up but both offenses were also sloppy. The defenses both had great ball knock outs as well.

Fans of history may remember this has happened before. Back in like 1970 a drunk fan ran out onto the field of a Baltimore (Colts) game, and grabbed the football. Colts MLB Mike "Mad Dog" Curtis leveled the guy. The guy tried to sue Curtis and a few others. It was thrown out of court.

Link to tackle here.
The only time I’ve ever seen a terrible plaintiff win was vandalizing, trespassing, and robbing an older couples vacation home. I forget which state, maybe Colorado or another Midwest state. Their property kept being broke into, parties thrown, vandalized, and robbed. They repeatedly tried telling police, posting signs, cameras, etc. to no avail. It kept happening. Finally the husband set up a shotgun trap in one of the bedrooms tied to the room door that shot a trespasser. The wife had him lower the firearm from the torso down to the legs. The plaintiff broke into the house with the friend and was doing the above, they opened the door and he got handicapped. Plaintiff won a lot of money for the court stating the couple shouldn’t have went to that length to defend their property when they’re not present in it, if they were in the home at the time it would have been justified. When asked if he’d have done anything different after losing the lawsuit the husband stated he wished he kept the shotgun in the position it was in to begin with.

The only time I’ve ever seen a terrible plaintiff win was vandalizing, trespassing, and robbing an older couples vacation home...When asked if he’d have done anything different after losing the lawsuit the husband stated he wished he kept the shotgun in the position it was in to begin with.
:anguished:

I recall reading about this some time ago. The judge had some sort of sympathetic words to the home owner, but also noted that by setting the boobytrap, the man was acting as judge, jury, and executioner!

That is bad. Some people in the media were having a field day with Wilson and the Broncos. I'm not going to quote it all, save to say that was probably the worst game I've seen in decades. Not just the low score, but poor play. The Colts looked bad, Ryan looked bad. But Denver and Wilson looked worse. Broncos schedule doesn't get any easier:

@Chargers
Jets
@Jax
@Titans
Raiders
@Panthers

Not terrible, you say? At 2-3, they could end up 5-6. But look after that:

@ravens
Chiefs
Cardinals
@Rams
@Chiefs
Chargers

6-11 seems plausible. I don't think I'm being unrealistic either.

Oh, and if you're thinking they'll be so bad they'll draft a QB in the first round and move on from Wilson, Russel's fat contract starts to pay out in 2023, and really 2024 and beyond. And releasing him would be like a $120m hit of dead money. I can't possibly see him playing that bad in the months to come, but at the cost they gave up, and are paying him, it's like their long-term future doesn't look promising.

That is bad. Some people in the media were having a field day with Wilson and the Broncos. I'm not going to quote it all, save to say that was probably the worst game I've seen in decades. Not just the low score, but poor play. The Colts looked bad, Ryan looked bad. But Denver and Wilson looked worse. Broncos schedule doesn't get any easier:

@Chargers
Jets
@Jax
@Titans
Raiders
@Panthers

@ravens
Chiefs
Cardinals
@Rams
@Chiefs
Chargers

Oh, and if you're thinking they'll be so bad they'll draft a QB in the first round and move on from Wilson, Russel's fat contract starts to pay out in 2023, and really 2024 and beyond. And releasing him would be like a $120m hit of dead money. I can't possibly see him playing that bad in the months to come, but at the cost they gave up, and are paying him, it's like their long-term future doesn't look promising.

Russ will play better, but it won’t be nearly good enough to justify that massive contract. Seahawks are looking very smart right about now, even if they end up winning less than the Broncos. This was always going to be a rebuilding year and if they can get good quality out of Geno, it would be a bonus. So far he’s played well. Then you look at the offense as a whole, it’s been either good or very good. Once they really get used to all the schemes and get confident, that offense can be a juggernaut. The defense is inexperienced and not playing well at all. Things will change, they won’t be bad all season. With some nice pics in the draft (thanks Denver!), and a full season behind them (plus training), I can see this team being in the playoffs already next season. After that they should be looking at contending.

@Chargers
Jets
@Jax
@Titans
Raiders
@Panthers

@ravens
Chiefs
Cardinals
@Rams
@Chiefs
Chargers

That would be considered a colossal failure for the Broncos. Playoffs is the minimum expectation. The organization has mentioned that the objective this year is playoffs - not a rebuilding season that you would expect with a rookie or less experienced QB.

Manning's first year with the Broncos & the team went 13-3 winning the division (upset in the 1st rd of the playoffs by Baltimore). The following year they again won the division & played in the SB. In two short years, Peyton took the Broncos from pretenders to SB contenders. This is what these All-Stars are paid big $$$ for.

Let's take a look at how other former SB winning QBs performed in their first season after being traded to a new team later in their career:

Namath - 12 seasons/Jets (1 SB) - traded to Rams in 1977: Benched after 4 games (2-2) primarily for chronic injuries & retired at the end of the season (any of you older guys remember him in a Ram's uniform?).

Montana - 14 seasons/SF (4 SBs) - traded to KC in 1993: Division champions & AFC Championship appearance.

Favre - 16 seasons/GB (2 SBs) - traded to NYJ in 2008: 9-7 no playoffs (traded to Minn the following season).

Flacco - 11 seasons/Baltimore (1 SB) - traded to Denver in 2019: Season ending injury after 4 games (traded to NYJ).

Brady - 20 seasons/NE (6 SBs) - traded to TB in 2020: Super Bowl Champions! (Doesn't get any better than this).

Bottom line : The bar is set high for Wilson.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
OOOOh, that can't be since you live in the PNW, and watch SEA. I have suffered through countless horrible Seahawk games over the years. :cry:
The only worse games occured in the Kingdome. Viewing them after a 2 hr traffic knot drive and bad beer made the experience worse. This game was the worst football game i've seen. And I have a 12 yo grandson that is starting youth football. Maybe the I haven't seen the worst of it yet.

• Haha
That would be considered a colossal failure for the Broncos. Playoffs is the minimum expectation. The organization has mentioned that the objective this year is playoffs - not a rebuilding season that you would expect with a rookie or less experienced QB.

Manning's first year with the Broncos & the team went 13-3 winning the division (upset in the 1st rd of the playoffs by Baltimore). The following year they again won the division & played in the SB. In two short years, Peyton took the Broncos from pretenders to SB contenders. This is what these All-Stars are paid big $$$ for.

Let's take a look at how other former SB winning QBs performed in their first season after being traded to a new team later in their career:

Namath - 12 seasons/Jets (1 SB) - traded to Rams in 1977: Benched after 4 games (2-2) primarily for chronic injuries & retired at the end of the season (any of you older guys remember him in a Ram's uniform?).

Montana - 14 seasons/SF (4 SBs) - traded to KC in 1993: Division champions & AFC Championship appearance.

Favre - 16 seasons/GB (2 SBs) - traded to NYJ in 2008: 9-7 no playoffs (traded to Minn the following season).

Flacco - 11 seasons/Baltimore (1 SB) - traded to Denver in 2019: Season ending injury after 4 games (traded to NYJ).

Brady - 20 seasons/NE (6 SBs) - traded to TB in 2020: Super Bowl Champions! (Doesn't get any better than this).

Bottom line : The bar is set high for Wilson.
Actually, Peyton and the Broncs proved to be pretenders and were soundly humiliated by.....Russell Wilson. Does that make it better or worse?

TRENDING THREADS