• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 594 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have no problem Luck retiring for whatever the reason - but I don't feel sorry for the guy either. Sorry, it's football, I don't want to hear how hard it is to make a $hit ton of money to play a game. I honestly don't really think Luck feels like he needs a pity-party either and the writing was selective.

Jim Irsay, like Steve Biscotti (Ravens) and Eddie DeBartolo (former 49ers), the late Paul Allen, long had reputations of paying or helping players without fighting it much. So I'm not shocked there.

If there is one okay thing about Von Miller being out, it's that Buffalo is deep at LB. While a major loss in name, it would have been far worse on another team.

Apparently Garappolo's foot/ankle isn't as bad as originally thought, and there's talk he could be back sometime in the playoffs. Maybe. The thought is, if Purdy can't cut it, and Johnson can't cut it, and they get to the AFC Championship or SB, and Jimmy can suit up, they'll have that option. I can't seem to find any updates on Lance, whose physician said the normal recovery on his surgery was 10-12 weeks, and another surgeon said 16 weeks to a full heal able to play football. That means Lance should be 100% healthy come playoffs.

Goff is definitely playing better in Detroit than he did in LA, on a weaker team. He's had one bad game this season (New England) that's it. He still has a pretty strong arm, not like Allen, Mahomes, etc. but good. And he's getting rid of the ball quicker and currently 6th in QBR this year overall. I have never seen Mayfield play to this level in his entire career. Close in 2020, on a stacked team (10th QBR that year). Could he? It's possible, and Sean McVey will without question be the best coach he's worked with. Sitting on the bench as the 2nd QB, and having to follow McVey's energy and strong leadership will compel Baker to shut up, work hard, and follow instructions.

Home game for the Raiders tonight*, and I'll take them to win, though the Rams looked decent at times against Seattle.

*Yes, I realize this game is in Los Angeles, but there are already a lot of old Raider fans in the city of angels, and Raider Nation travels there as well as the 49er faithful do. Expect to see a lot of silver and black, and a home crowd feel for the Raiders.
The latest update from Shanahan is that Jimmy is unlikely to be back this season. Adam Schefter jumped on that one a little early as he often does. But it also sounds that they did not give a lot of consideration to picking up Baker either and the Rams were the only interested party. Lynch and Kyle have also said that Lance won't be back this season even though he is getting around to the meetings and seems to be walking well at the moment. This seems to indicate that Jimmy won't be back next season and they are concerned about Lance being ready to go next season. Lance hasn't been active at practice.

But if the 49ers make the playoffs many people have already written them off for a deep run while others think the defense could carry them further and not many seem to have a lot of faith in a third string QB going far. I still think they will beat the Buccs based on what I have seen recently from both teams. Take out the last 5 minutes from the Saints game and there was nothing to rave about for Buccs fans and the Saints were simply awful in the final minutes. No wonder their coach looked like he wanted to dive into a deep hole !

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
I have no problem Luck retiring for whatever the reason - but I don't feel sorry for the guy either. Sorry, it's football, I don't want to hear how hard it is to make a $hit ton of money to play a game. I honestly don't really think Luck feels like he needs a pity-party either and the writing was selective.

Jim Irsay, like Steve Biscotti (Ravens) and Eddie DeBartolo (former 49ers), the late Paul Allen, long had reputations of paying or helping players without fighting it much. So I'm not shocked there.

If there is one okay thing about Von Miller being out, it's that Buffalo is deep at LB. While a major loss in name, it would have been far worse on another team.

Apparently Garappolo's foot/ankle isn't as bad as originally thought, and there's talk he could be back sometime in the playoffs. Maybe. The thought is, if Purdy can't cut it, and Johnson can't cut it, and they get to the AFC Championship or SB, and Jimmy can suit up, they'll have that option. I can't seem to find any updates on Lance, whose physician said the normal recovery on his surgery was 10-12 weeks, and another surgeon said 16 weeks to a full heal able to play football. That means Lance should be 100% healthy come playoffs.

Goff is definitely playing better in Detroit than he did in LA, on a weaker team. He's had one bad game this season (New England) that's it. He still has a pretty strong arm, not like Allen, Mahomes, etc. but good. And he's getting rid of the ball quicker and currently 6th in QBR this year overall. I have never seen Mayfield play to this level in his entire career. Close in 2020, on a stacked team (10th QBR that year). Could he? It's possible, and Sean McVey will without question be the best coach he's worked with. Sitting on the bench as the 2nd QB, and having to follow McVey's energy and strong leadership will compel Baker to shut up, work hard, and follow instructions.

Home game for the Raiders tonight*, and I'll take them to win, though the Rams looked decent at times against Seattle.

*Yes, I realize this game is in Los Angeles, but there are already a lot of old Raider fans in the city of angels, and Raider Nation travels there as well as the 49er faithful do. Expect to see a lot of silver and black, and a home crowd feel for the Raiders.
Raiders should win based on the past few weeks but they would hope to have Jacobs fully fit. Don't see Detroit letting Goff go and Goff seems happy at the moment. He looked miserable in his final season at the Rams and was having problems with the coach. and he also seemed a bit pizzed about getting traded.

From what I remember, like Manziel, Luck came from a wealthy family anyway ! But I guess even rich kids can be good at sport but you think of what spmeone like Alex Smith went through just to continue to play just shows that personality and mental traits are very different across sport.
Manziel was genetically gifted & was one of best dual-threat QBs in the history of Texas HS football. In just 3 varsity seasons, he threw for 7,000 yds & rushed for over 4,000 yds finishing as a 4-star recruit. By comparison, the QB on my HS state champion team started 2 yrs on varsity, threw for 2,000 yds & rushed for a measly 200 yds. Lol. He was undersized, had a so-so arm, couldn't run worth crap & got no D-1 offers, despite winning the big school (4A) state championship. Lol (I think the last time I checked the guy works a manual labor job in the flooring business).

And Manziel got a sweet rookie contract in 2014 for 8 mil plus a 4 mil signing of free money. When you look at his endorsements & the fact he's still getting paid for playing a sport (indoor football), he's another one that's riding the wave of his exceptional genetics to where he'll never have to actually work for living like the rest of us.

I know Alex Smith is a hometown hero & fan favorite of many because of the severe leg injury he recovered from - so I'm not going to comment & risk getting people all upset here. Suffice it to say the guy made a pretty penny during his career & I'm sure he has no regrets making that kind of $$$ playing a sport:

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Say what you will about Baker, but that's not bad to get almost no time with the team/playbook and go 22/35 for 230 yards and a TD (without the best receiver)...and an end of the game winning full field drive/TD pass.

17?
He put a smile on McVay's face. That's been a long time coming but Baker looked pretty damn good especially considering the circumstances and time he had to prepare. The final drive was very nice.

That play by Jerry Tillery, knocking the ball out of Mayfield's hands long after the play was over, right in front of a referee, was one of the most utterly stupid moves I've seen in a long, long time. It came after a Crosby/Jones sack and would have put the Rams at 3rd and 17, from their own 12, clock running with a minute left, with no TO's. Instead, it gave them 15 yards, an automatic first down, and stopped the clock.

Completely, completely inexcusable play by Tillery. Basically killed whatever playoff chances the team had, and derailed their win streak, taking them backwards to when they were at their worst all season. Unless this was their worst loss, thanks to him.

Not to be forgotten, but that pass by Carr at the end of the first half into triple coverage, right into Ernest Jones hands was incomprehensibly bad. What a stupid, stupid throw. He could have thrown it into the stands, even taken a sack, and the Raiders would have had a chip shot FG which was the difference. Instead, he made one of the worst throws of the year. Painful.

Last edited:
That play by Jerry Tillery, knocking the ball out of Mayfield's hands long after the play was over, right in front of a referee, was one of the most utterly stupid moves I've seen in a long, long time. It came after a Crosby/Jones sack and would have put the Rams at 3rd and 17, from their own 12, clock running with a minute left, with no TO's. Instead, it gave them 15 yards, an automatic first down, and stopped the clock.

Completely, completely inexcusable play by Tillery. Basically killed whatever playoff chances the team had, and derailed their win streak, taking them backwards to when they were at their worst all season. Unless this was their worst loss, thanks to him.

Not to be forgotten, but that pass by Carr at the end of the first half into triple coverage, right into Ernest Jones hands was incomprehensibly bad. What a stupid, stupid throw. He could have thrown it into the stands, even taken a sack, and the Raiders would have had a chip shot FG which was the difference. Instead, he made one of the worst throws of the year. Painful.
For a team that have had a lot of late losses, the Raiders only have themselves to blame like the Saints game with the Buccs where RB's are running over the sideline etc. The Raiders penalties were mindless and Carr is totally inconsistent, you just don't know what is coming next from him.

Some games for tomorrow:

NYJ@BUF - I'm curious how each QB does against the other team's D. Allen's elbow still not 100% healed, though last week he was close to normal. White played tough against Minnesota, but couldn't put things away in the red zone. Buffalo deep at DE/LB, but deep enough to replace Von Miller?

CLE@CIN - Here's your chance to start earning that gigantic contract, Watson.

MIN@DET - On paper the Vikings sure are better. But they looked vulnerable at times in recent weeks, and Detroit is fighting for a playoff spot, winning 4 of their last 5, and almost beating Miami before that. Plus they are coming off a bye. Minnesota won the first meeting, 28-24.

BAL@PIT - Here's a chance for the Steelers to upend Baltimore's hold on the AFC North, with Jackson out, and Pickett playing better each week.

TB@SF - By every thought SF could win this game going away. Will they? How will Purdy play? At times, Brady can beat anyone.

MIA@LAC - The Dolphins played good at times, but were also thumped by the 49ers. Chargers hot/cold. Which team(s) show up?

KC@DEN - Just kidding. No one cares much about this game. No one expect it to be close after the 1st quarter.

Think Buffalo should be too strong as long as Allen doesn't get cavalier with the football.

I expect Cleveland with a rusty Watson to give the Bengals a hard game. Their run game has picked up again. But I think Burrow will get the Bengals home.

Vikings to edge out Detroit in a high scoring game.

Steelers have looked better recently. Ravens have a good back up QB but I think the Steelers will win out.

Bosa hasn't practiced all week and has been nursing a hamstring for most of the season. Whether this was done re the Thursday game coming up against the Hawks or whether the injury has worsened who knows. If he doesn't play that's a boost for the Buccs. I still think that the 49ers can win with a rookie QB. Purdy handled himself against the blitz heavy Dolphins defense but being one of the smaller QBs he doesn't want to get sacked too often. Could be a low scoring game and a wet field is expected.

Think Miami will bounce back but the Chargers are never predictable neither is Henry lately.

Kansas could play a team of back ups , be losing in the final minute and somehow Denver would find a way to lose. This would be the upset of the season if it happened, which it won't ! Vacant seats won't surprise.

28-0 Niners
Bucs again with penalties keeping the opponent offense on the field to score touchdowns each time and killing their offensive drives. You’re either coaching or condoning it. Brady and Evans need something together as they’re not on the same page at all, shown by Brady wanting back shoulder and Evans wanting fade.
Niners showing how dynamic they are on offense. Samuel’s injury will be huge for how long he’s out.
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Zaknoble/status/1602076994640154624?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Reactions: movingtarget

When a player reaches the pros, it so no longer just a game. In fact, in college Div 1 it is now a minor league for the NFL.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Buccs were awful. Hope the Deebo injury isn't too serious. Purdy keep surprising. Seems the draft experts got that one wrong. One of those games where everything just about went the way of the one team. Dunno what to make of Brady, might be time to hang them up. Not the results the Hawks or Titans wanted. Panthers have improved with the new coach. Denver got a lot closer than I expected. Good to see Detroit win again. Are the Vikings about to drop off again ? Eagles keep rolling along.

Last edited:
Buccs were awful. Hope Deebo injury isn't too serious. Purdy keep surprising. Seems the draft experts got that one wrong. One of those games were everything just about went the way of the one team. Dunno what to make of Brady, might be time to hang them up. Not the results the Hawks or Titans wanted. Panthers have improved with the new coach. Denver got a lot closer than I expected. Good to see Detroit win again. Are the Vikings about to drop off again ? Eagles keep rolling along.
It’s weird in that on some plays or drives he’s the Brady of old. On others he’s missing the throws like to Jones and Evans or he even missed that Godwin was completely wide open with no one covering him. It’s hard to say how the divorce and injured oline is affecting him. But I don’t think he’d want to play in Tampa anymore. They’ve been undisciplined the last three years and it’s cost the team games. Plus Brady said a couple weeks ago the team doesn’t do any one on one or specific training, which he said he’d like to do. But coming back and having his first losing season wasn’t on his thought. They control their playoff destiny and could win 3 of the last 4, just like they could lose 2 or all of the games and allow Panthers or Falcons to pass them.

The 49ers defense, their entire team, looked like a machine. This is the one team that could honestly knock off the Eagles, in Philadelphia, come playoffs. Samuel has a high ankle sprain. These are often between 1 week, and over 3. My guess is they'll rest him until the playoffs, unless they need him in the Arizona game. They could even rest him in the WC round if needed. Purdy back next week.

Detroit impressed even me, and I thought they could win! Goff said after the game he feels he's playing the best of his life, and I have to agree. The Vikings are still good, but they were never really 10-2 good, right? Lions play at the Jets next week. All defense. Let's see how Detroit does then.

Bills continue to win. But I think the Jets challenged Allen to run to beat them. He did, but I don't know if this is a formula the Bills can ride the rest of the season. They are going to have to come up with passing attacks that flood zones and break up double teams. Still, if they get HFA, it's going to be a frozen hell for teams to go to Buffalo and win in January.

The fact that Denver damn near beat KC is as I see it a pretty bad sign for the Chiefs. I mean, they looked vulnerable on defense. How many games can Mahomes pull out of his back pocket late, week after week?

Dallas barely beating Houston also wasn't a good sign.

Chargers starting to look like the team people expected to see. Dolphins starting to fade.

Cincinnati continues to roll. KC needs to hope the Bengals can beat Buffalo in two weeks, putting them in the driver's seat for HFA. While Watson didn't lose the game to the Bengals, if I were Jimmy Haslem, who seems one of the more impatient, and reactionary owners, I'd be expecting to see my money better spent next week. Watson is being paid to be the very best QB in the entire NFL (4th highest this year overall. Most per game, by far. But big, big money in the future). Let's start seeing it.

Not surprised to see some rust on Watson.

Be interesting to see if the Eagles keep the win streak going until season's end. Every other team has had a least a partial drop off.

I see the Bengals as a big threat in the AFC and the Chargers are the type of team that could cause problems if they make the playoffs. The more players they get back from injury the better.

I was shocked by the Kansas score.

The Hawks game with the 49ers on Thursday should be a war...... probably the best rivalry game in the NFL.... both teams have a lot to play for. Samuel missing will be a blow but the 49ers still have plenty of offense and Shanahan's play calling has been much better in the second half of the season. Shame Mitchell got injured again as the run game would be even better with him.

SEA loss was bad. Both of Smith's ints were just bad mentally. As I/we have typed several times before, the defense needs to plug some gaping holes. They just can't give up 200+ yards of rushing . Barten and Brooks look good on paper with 10,12, 15 tackles, but those tackles are 6-10 yards down field, when they need to be 2-3 yards downfield. They need to rethink how the front four play.

That being said, CAR has turned it around considerably (and without CMc).

49ers wow! Playing solid with what QB5?! Who is this kid? :)

KC plays completely below their level in almost every game. I don't know how well that will work in the playoffs. Maybe the playoffs will get them excited and they will play better?

DAL has looked like a super hot team, and then almost lost to HOU!?

I still think that MIN is a good team, but Cook needs more touches and more yards. MIN is just as good as the other 10-3 teams, BUF, DAL, and KC.

DET is much like CAR in getting things going, but DET has a higher ceiling IMO.

BAL is a tough team too, but they need a healthy (at least 95%) LJ to survive the playoffs.

LAC is looking better now that they are getting healthier.

CIN is sliding around under the radar.

PHI is good!

Seems the Raiders have become the new Chargers re finishing off games.
SEA loss was bad. Both of Smith's ints were just bad mentally. As I/we have typed several times before, the defense needs to plug some gaping holes. They just can't give up 200+ yards of rushing . Barten and Brooks look good on paper with 10,12, 15 tackles, but those tackles are 6-10 yards down field, when they need to be 2-3 yards downfield. They need to rethink how the front four play.

That being said, CAR has turned it around considerably (and without CMc).

49ers wow! Playing solid with what QB5?! Who is this kid? :)

KC plays completely below their level in almost every game. I don't know how well that will work in the playoffs. Maybe the playoffs will get them excited and they will play better?

DAL has looked like a super hot team, and then almost lost to HOU!?

I still think that MIN is a good team, but Cook needs more touches and more yards. MIN is just as good as the other 10-3 teams, BUF, DAL, and KC.

DET is much like CAR in getting things going, but DET has a higher ceiling IMO.

BAL is a tough team too, but they need a healthy (at least 95%) LJ to survive the playoffs.

LAC is looking better now that they are getting healthier.

CIN is sliding around under the radar.

PHI is good!
Raining really hard.. watched football all day and night.. Bunch of surprises.. None more than watching opposite fortunes as a brand new quarterback doormatted the best of all time.. Camera cut to the kid's dad a couple of times.. After the first and second touchdowns, father crying for reasons beautifully obvious..
Overall an outstanding week for football of all kinds..round and oblong ball type..

Seattle really was victimized for not having a running game. As you said, the INTs were bad and forcing the issue; necessary due to lack of options. Almost no motion plays or attempt to run by Geno. His successful plays frequently had him surrounded by Panthers.
As for the defense or lack of SEA run defense; it was inconsistent and made Carolina look pretty good. If they happen to get into the Wild Card they won't last long without improvement there. A healthy offense can't score enough to fix that.

Some us can never forget or forgive who Geno Smith was as a Jet..he is having the best season of his career, hands down.. and I not a hater but if the train falls off the tracks will not be a surprise, just more of the same.
Liked watching SF know that they could get more snaps using another backup QB..and it was on heavy rotation about how the McCaffrey acquisition looked fantastic.. The guy was a machine.
It was also noted that Herbert has the good quality of not turning the ball over.. Herbert should call Mahomes and admit that he copied that under-side armed flip pass..
I am wondering what the crowd game day colors will look like when Chargers meet Rams in their home stadium. Years previous in San Diego.. Often there would be equal numbers of Raiders fans at San Diego Chargers home games..
I am saying today that I am going for Eagles Superbowl

TRENDING THREADS