• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 620 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The halftime show prep created alot of damage. It's unlikely the grounds crew could do much more with it but this should cue the NFL to prioritize the playing conditions more.
I don’t know since they were slipping before half. Unless it had to be of a different quality knowing the show was coming. My biggest problem with it is yes both teams played on it but it isn’t something they could prepare for like if it was muddy, snowing, or raining ahead of time. They weren’t expecting it to be slippery like that and game plans could have changed.

In regards to officiating. I wonder how a trial game week would go of us being able to hear what is discussed about the penalty and why a flag was thrown in real time would help some issues or concerns. And maybe to not slow the game down further, the head ref gets interviewed at halftime as well about any calls and they can address them.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Chad Henne. What a way to go out. Not only with a ring, but in a season where he definitely contributed with that superb 98-yard drive in the WC game against the Jaguars. (And likely most of his brains in tact. :dizzy:)
I want all games indoors on (well prepared ) grass so you missed me there. EDIT: NBA?
I have a good idea. Let's make the Tour de France on trainers, Zwift. This way everyone will be on even ground, at their best. :innocent:

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
I'm not sure why he would take such a job? Maybe they are offering a lot more money than the Chiefs? But I doubt this with the team likely to be sold. Perhaps he sees a death spiral in Washington, until the Snyder family is forced to sell the team, and he'll be there to be the HC to save it all and build it all up with Jeff Bezos money writing fat checks? Maybe Byron Allen is going to buy the team, and Eric sees this, and senses an opportunity to be part of the first team with an African American owner? Maybe Eric's ego is a lot bigger than people realize and he thinks he can coach Sam Howell to be the next Mahomes?! Maybe Andy Reid has found the magic elixir to never die, and gave some to Bienemy. Thus Reid will be the Chiefs coach forever, and Bienminy can move on to his personal eternal coaching gig?!

If the Cardinals do hire Gannon, that all but cements two of my predictions already! First, the Eagles not doing as well next season. Second, the Cardinals will be a total mess, with Murray doing what he wants, next year too, with a defensive minded coach, hence finishing 1-16.

Congratulations to Chad Henne. What a way to go out. Not only with a ring, but in a season where he definitely contributed with that superb 98-yard drive in the WC game against the Jaguars. (And likely most of his brains in tact. :dizzy:)

I have a good idea. Let's make the Tour de France on trainers, Zwift. This way everyone will be on even ground, at their best. :innocent:
I think that they already do that...:p

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'm not sure why he would take such a job? Maybe they are offering a lot more money than the Chiefs? But I doubt this with the team likely to be sold. Perhaps he sees a death spiral in Washington, until the Snyder family is forced to sell the team, and he'll be there to be the HC to save it all and build it all up with Jeff Bezos money writing fat checks? Maybe Byron Allen is going to buy the team, and Eric sees this, and senses an opportunity to be part of the first team with an African American owner? Maybe Eric's ego is a lot bigger than people realize and he thinks he can coach Sam Howell to be the next Mahomes?! Maybe Andy Reid has found the magic elixir to never die, and gave some to Bienemy. Thus Reid will be the Chiefs coach forever, and Bienminy can move on to his personal eternal coaching gig?!

If the Cardinals do hire Gannon, that all but cements two of my predictions already! First, the Eagles not doing as well next season. Second, the Cardinals will be a total mess, with Murray doing what he wants, next year too, with a defensive minded coach, hence finishing 1-16.
Done and dusted. Gannon signed to a five year contract with the Cardinals. Eagles lost their O/C and D/C. 49ers lost their passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik to the Texans to join their new coach Demeco Ryans but 49ers seemingly made a good hire in signing Wilks as their new D/C. Texans looked like they were were also going to grab Kris Kocurek from the 49ers as well but he decided to stay at the 49ers and doesn't want the D/C role. He's happy being the Defensive Line coach.

Last edited:
The halftime show prep created alot of damage. It's unlikely the grounds crew could do much more with it but this should cue the NFL to prioritize the playing conditions more.
Make more sense to have a post game show and have a regular half time interval. Maybe they think losing fans wouldn't hang around for it but why would that matter ? Do the interviews and presentation then put the damn music on..............its already a long time at the stadium, 30 minutes of music whatever...........TV viewers will still tune in if they want

Reid is essentially the OC & Bieniemy relays the plays in. And if you notice during TOs, Mahomes is conferring with Reid, who has that big play chart & marker in hand - you don't see much of Bieniemy. He seems to be in the shadow of Reid during game time. Reid's background as a player is OL & he worked his way up from OL coach to OC & so on.

Rivera is a defensive minded coach - essentially the DC. Remember he played LB for the Bears & worked his way up from position coach - DC - HC ladder. Bieniemy would be fully in-charge of the offense & wouldn't have to share any of the play calling & any in-game adjustments with the HC. This is what Reid is referring to that Bieniemy needs to go somewhere else where he can "run the show."

Good article on Bieniemy's situation. I didn't know that last year in a privileged ownership meeting, Reid spoke before the group vouching for Bieniemy & asking why he hasn't been been given a HC job:

Last edited:
Make more sense to have a post game show and have a regular half time interval. Maybe they think losing fans wouldn't hang around for it but why would that matter ? Do the interviews and presentation then put the damn music on..............its already a long time at the stadium, 30 minutes of music whatever...........TV viewers will still tune in if they want
The halftime show has become the masterpiece of the SB these days - more people tuned into the show than actually watched the game. Even the coaches have to monitor their players at halftime. Lol

This is the first year I can think of where the halftime show may have contributed to the field getting beaten up. And I'm talking both NFL, and college, with all of their marching bands, years of The Rockettes, 100 members of Up With People, and more.

There is no possible way halftime shows get bumped, or moved, or scaled down. No way.

Sometime in the early 90's the NFL figured out it could put on a show. Some have been bad (The Weekend, The Black Eyed Peas), some odd (The Who, who admitted they were soccer fans, and had never seen a full football game), but most have been between very good (Tom Petty) to very good and very big (Shakira and J-Lo, Rhianna) to all of that - like being a at an incredible mega concert for free (Prince).

There's no going back, ever. Won't happen.

I believe it's less than 15 minutes, is all the longer the artist performs.

The halftime show has become the masterpiece of the SB these days - more people tuned into the show than actually watched the game. Even the coaches have to monitor their players at halftime. Lol

It makes one wonder if the Eagles eyes were all glued to the field, considering how lopsided the scoring was per half! (And who says Reid isn't a smart coach!?)

Good post on Bienemy. Hadn't looked at it that way. If he takes the job I also think there's a serious chance he will survive an ownership change in Washington, even if the team has a rotten 2023 season. And I'm 99% certain that ownership change is coming. Maybe as soon as March. The NFL is going to want to have it quietly happen, and be either buried below more interesting stories (Combine, Draft, first week of FA), or a week or so after the draft settles and people start thinking less about football. My guess is sooner will be better than later. It's just a matter of getting the billionaire, or billionaire group lined up. Once they know that, and the paperwork is about to be inked, they'll bounce Snyder.

This is the first year I can think of where the halftime show may have contributed to the field getting beaten up. And I'm talking both NFL, and college, with all of their marching bands, years of The Rockettes, 100 members of Up With People, and more.

There is no possible way halftime shows get bumped, or moved, or scaled down. No way.

Sometime in the early 90's the NFL figured out it could put on a show. Some have been bad (The Weekend, The Black Eyed Peas), some odd (The Who, who admitted they were soccer fans, and had never seen a full football game), but most have been between very good (Tom Petty) to very good and very big (Shakira and J-Lo, Rhianna) to all of that - like being a at an incredible mega concert for free (Prince).

If they could have found a way to levitate the halftime preparatory crew hald as well as the show we wouldn't have this discussion. Dammit! IT'S TIME FOR DRONE PRODUCTION CREWS ONLY!

Done and dusted. Gannon signed to a five year contract with the Cardinals. Eagles lost their O/C and D/C. 49ers lost their passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik to the Texans to join their new coach Demeco Ryans but 49ers seemingly made a good hire in signing Wilks as their new D/C. Texans looked like they were were also going to grab Kris Kocurek from the 49ers as well but he decided to stay at the 49ers and doesn't want the D/C role. He's happy being the Defensive Line coach.
And this was probably why John Schneider did the smart thing and kept his crew, skipped the SB party and went skiing. On to the Draft!

I personally don't know.. Don't know about an expensive modern data base on the dozen plus turf types and injuries or lack thereof..
and I am guessing that an informal survey by Philadelphia Eagles..right after the game up until 1 second from anyone reading this, will say that the field conditions were \are sh-t.
I thought that I knew that natural turf was safer overall.. Maybe not.. Maybe wrong.
I have read multiple things that the ground crew for halftime show damaged the field significantly just by setting up and tearing down.
. Because of the linemen both offensive and defensive.. Their size and anger in their souls..I don't think that the dancers accompanying Rihanna did significant damage in fluffy, flowing white tops,Timberland looking shoes ..I hope that none of them asked for a hug or autograph from anyone on the Eagles after the game.. I don't think that happened because I didn't hear about any in stadium homicide.. but seriously..
I don't see a logistic, financial and contractual way to make turf the same in all play and practice venues.. but man!!! What a contract that would be!!

Reactions: jmdirt

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Rex Ryan as DC in Denver?! Sean Payton may be the only person who could keep Rex's ego in check. Maybe. Rex has a long history of being combative, and that did him in, in NY, but really in Buffalo. However, as a DC, on a team that already has superb players and depth, could turn that defense into an absolute gauntlet. Or, it could turn the whole thing into a powder keg.

I think that you are correct. I always wonder why they decided to do it though. The common thought is that it will increase their viewing audience an therefore revenue power. IMO, very few people watch the game because of the halftime show, and no fans of the game will stop watching if they cut it. I rarely watch them, and I know several other people who don't either.

I don't see a logistic, financial and contractual way to make turf the same in all play and practice venues.. but man!!! What a contract that would be!!
Many twist in the real grass vs fake grass discussion. Even teams with real grass game fields have fake grass practice facilities. Real grass is much harder to keep consistent, especially if its outside. There are several data gathering studies about injuries on real grass vs. fake grass...I'll add later...gotta go...

EDIT: several of the data gathering studies that I've read include data from the 90s which is irrelevant because the fake grass of the 90s is nothing like the fake grass of the last 10+ years.

The two biggest issues with fake grass are impact injuries, and foot release injuries. Both of those have been addressed in the design of the base and the surface of current fake turf. The two biggest issues with real grass fields are injuries from inconsistency (from area to area on the same field, and field to field (including weather related)), and foot release injuries.

As I have stated, I would prefer that all fields be climate controlled real grass. That being said, an artificial surface can be engineered to greatly reduce all of the issues of both types of field, and really they are pretty close now. Obviously the biggest plus for fake grass is the consistency on the same field, but also from field to field. Am I coming around to fake grass? Maybe?

The argument that players prefer grass comes from vets (less and less every year obviously) who played NCAA football on grass and then at a home facility that has real grass ( Its also somewhat position determined). Younger players who played all of their HS and NCAA football on fake grass don't share that (partly because they have always played on modern fake grass).

Last edited:
Rex Ryan as DC in Denver?! Sean Payton may be the only person who could keep Rex's ego in check. Maybe. Rex has a long history of being combative, and that did him in, in NY, but really in Buffalo. However, as a DC, on a team that already has superb players and depth, could turn that defense into an absolute gauntlet. Or, it could turn the whole thing into a powder keg.
All you need to know about Rex Ryan can be revealed by his decisions.. all horrible, even bad decisions by him are better than his normal thinking.
Had Sanchez in a fur coat trying to look like Joe Namath..he was always trying to stoke ticket sales and tell anyone who would listen how much potential the current team had,despite the warm pile that actually existed..
So guidance for young players? Ryan is a no go.
But in an NFL resurrection repeat.. if Geno Smith is brand new, maybe Ryan deserves a chance. Geno was crushed while under Ryan's coaching.
For me it won't be that Rex Ryan got a tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey and showed it to everyone, everyday.. Good coaching? It's not that Geno Smith was sacked every play.. No my real issues with Ryan.. when he needed to solve problems.. Michael Vick..and a player who's numbers show that he never should have been in the NFL..not even on a practice squad Tim" yes I am throwing to the defense " Tebow. Watching current coaches talk about intensity, focus, fundamentals, avoiding or outlawing off field controversy.. Ryan has always been the opposite.. maybe he changed

Rex = BOOM!

Many twist in the real grass vs fake grass discussion. Even teams with real grass game fields have fake grass practice facilities. Real grass is much harder to keep consistent, especially if its outside. There are several data gathering studies about injuries on real grass vs. fake grass...I'll add later...gotta go...

EDIT: several of the data gathering studies that I've read include data from the 90s which is irrelevant because the fake grass of the 90s is nothing like the fake grass of the last 10+ years.

The two biggest issues with fake grass are impact injuries, and foot release injuries. Both of those have been addressed in the design of the base and the surface of current fake turf. The two biggest issues with real grass fields are injuries from inconsistency (from area to area on the same field, and field to field (including weather related)), and foot release injuries.

As I have stated, I would prefer that all fields be climate controlled real grass. That being said, an artificial surface can be engineered to greatly reduce all of the issues of both types of field, and really they are pretty close now. Obviously the biggest plus for fake grass is the consistency on the same field, but also from field to field. Am I coming around to fake grass? Maybe?

The argument that players prefer grass comes from vets (less and less every year obviously) who played NCAA football on grass and then at a home facility that has real grass ( Its also somewhat position determined). Younger players who played all of their HS and NCAA football on fake grass don't share that (partly because they have always played on modern fake grass).
The concept that Las Vegas stadium uses has a great possibility for what you're after in consistency. A surface that can be rolled out as a whole or in sections can be maintained/replaced and grown. There are always problems with any turf but it would be much easier to adjust a section in a tray than large portions of a field. In the long term the costs would be much less and injury risks dealt with immediately rather than at a season's end. It works well with the multi-use emphasis of most new stadiums as well.
Surprisingly the NFL hasn't publicly suggested they are planning to require something like this. The NFLPA should partner very hard for it as well.

The big problem with artificial "grass" is durability. To make it durable and consistent it becomes much less pliable and relies on granular substrate to create soil-like traction. Older-school granular elements were reclaimed rubber products that caused other issues, too.
You'll notice that most speed players of this era wear forearm protection and shave any area that could slide on turf. No different than unshaved legs sliding on chip seal asphalt; the skin is the larger loop half of a velcro setup and the pavement is the smoother "hook" connection. The hook section always stays in place. Always. Ouch.

TRENDING THREADS