• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
LOL about birdy boy! At first I thought you might have meant my pick of C-hawks over Cards (two birds there), since I knew my Hawk pick was not going to be the popular or most logical one. But had to read down before realizing you meant the Falcons, even though I expected a salvo of flames and cannonballs over my ATL pick. :D
Yeah I realized after the fact that bolding your text didn't make it stand out haha :eek:

What a game it was! Those two teams always entertain; I both hate and love the falcons for that reason.

pmcg76 said:
Simple question for NFL fans here.

If you lived in a city/state that previously didnt have a franchise, who did you cheer for? and do you still cheer for that team or the now resident franchise.

For example, if you live in North Carolina, who did you cheer for before the Panthers arrived and do you still cheer for them or the Panthers.

Does geographic location play any part in choosing who to cheer for.

I was born in Tampa. Lived there for several years, but have moved several times. I have been a Bucs fan my entire life and continued my interest regardless of where I was living. Even while in Italy, I brought the bucs hats. My entire family are Bucs fans (many still live in the Bay area); strangely, it's one thing that will always bring us together.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Meanwhile, a great week in the NFL! Some really exciting games, and surprising upsets, or just surprises.

Atlanta's loss to TB, the way they blew it, ouch.
Hell of game!

BTW did anyone see the post game press-conference? I'm wondering if anybody asked Matt Ryan how the turf in Tampa tastes. :cool:

A

Anonymous

on3m@n@rmy said:
Agree 100% with those takes, Alpe.

I just wish we had a few more games like the Carolina/Jags game... real football being played the in the rain, slop, and mud.

On Seattle, I'll also add the DL did a great job. But, sorry to say for Arizona, maybe the best Seattle defender was the Cards FG kicker Jay Feely. The ones he missed were long, 49 and 51 yarders, but that's 6 points they could have used.

My wife and son went to the game (I was studying Federal Income Tax Law...anyone have a gun?) and they had a great time. They are like me, they love being in the rain too.

A

Anonymous

This weekend's games exemplify why the NFL is the US's most popular sport. This game tonight is great. (at least in terms of tension...the play has left a little to be desired...Freeney being the biggest exception. That guy is a freak.)

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
This weekend's games exemplify why the NFL is the US's most popular sport. This game tonight is great. (at least in terms of tension...the play has left a little to be desired...Freeney being the biggest exception. That guy is a freak.)

And just like that, Polamalu does his thing:)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
And just like that, Polamalu does his thing:)

I sat in amazement as Polamalu blitzed what looked like a dozen times. Timing stunts were he ran full speed and hoped to be in the back field to meet the ball. It paid off a few times. The offensive line of the Steelers is weak. Without Troy's special play Pittsburgh would have lost.

Thoughtforfood said:
This weekend's games exemplify why the NFL is the US's most popular sport.
I agree completely. Looking at this weekend before the season started seemed like some potential lopsided games, but there is so much parity in the league, almost every game is close or exciting these days.

Can't wait for today's Cowboys-Skins match-up. :)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I agree completely. Looking at this weekend before the season started seemed like some potential lopsided games, but there is so much parity in the league, almost every game is close or exciting these days.

Can't wait for today's Cowboys-Skins match-up. :)

Reading that it dawned on me that, even though I know the pic you use as your avatar, it looks remarkably like Tony Romo at that size :p

May 18, 2009
Visit site
That Ryan clan is a weird bunch. First you have that batshyt crazy father, then that fat blowhard in NY, and now this mopheaded clown in Dallas.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't there a playoff game a few years ago where neither team scored, just kicked FGs? I'm pretty sure the Ravens played. I still don't think it was six FGs though. Maybe six between both teams. :confused:

Nfl week 4 predictions

My very brief NFL week 4 picks:
SUNDAY:
1. BUF at CIN. BUF wins.
2. MIN at KC. MIN wins.
3. DET at DAL. DET wins.
4. SF at PHI. PHI wins.
5. CAR at CHI. CHI wins.
6. NO at JAC. NO wins.
7. WAS at STL. WAS wins.
8. PIT at HOU. HOU wins.
9. TEN at CLE. TEN wins.
10. NYG at ARI. NYG wins.
11. ATL at SEA. ATL wins.:mad::)
12. DEN at GB. GB wins.
13. NE at OAK. NE wins.
14. MIA at SD. SD wins.
15. NYJ at BAL. BAL wins.
MONDAY:
16. IND at TB. TB wins.

Real football

This is real football... futbol Americano:

tumblr_ls57rxSm4T1qm9ryp

In my Yahoo picks I had a chance to run the table today. I'm 11-3 today, but the losses were Buffalo-Cincy, Detroit-Dallas, and SF-Philly. Each game turned late.

New England sure looked sharp dismantling a tough Raiders team in Oakland. They host the Jets next week.

Houston did all they could it seemed to lose with some very costly penalties, but they didn't. And all of a sudden the Steelers are starting to not look old, and not so tough. Next week they take on the surging Titans.

Cowboy fans that didn't kill themselves after the nightmare loss to the Jets, would have surely been reaching for the razor blades today. Unreal how Tony Romo can step up and lead, throw such great passes, then throw such terrible picks at the worst possible time. Detroit now 4-0.

Philadelphia also looks like they are on the verge of collapsing. And it gets harder, with a trip to Buffalo next week.

Can anyone beat the Packers?

Some very close match-ups next week. Just take a look at the schedule.

I was 12-3 :p. But I don't think you counted your win in the Sunday night game (Bal 34 over NYJ 17). My losses (of BUF-CIN, MIN-KC, and SF-PHI) were almost the same as yours.

On next weeks NE-NYJ: too bad for the Jets. Their only hope is for Mangold to return to fix the line issues and the QB-Center exchanges. Even then it won't be enough.

Someone can and will beat the Packers. I have not looked on their schedule to guess who that may likely be, but I'm not sure, with the unpredictable results we have seen, that I'd be able to guess anyway. When I say unpredictable results, I mean we have seen teams that should win hands down get beat (or almost get beat as in the ATL-SEA game yesterday). There seems to be a fair amount of parity between middle and upper tier teams.

Yeah, I was actually 13-3 this week. Pretty lucky.

I agree the Packers will lose at some point. I predicted they would go 14-2, and they might. They do have a few tough games left. At San Diego, at Detroit, Oakland. Maybe next week at Atlanta, as the Falcons will be motivated, and at home. But almost all of these games are going to take a few bouncing balls their way to beat the Pack.

@Atlanta
St. Louis
@ Minnesota
Bye
@ Chargers
Minnesota
Tampa Bay
@ Detroit
@ NY Giants
Oakland
@ Kansas City
Chicago
Detroit

At first glance, with that Packer schedule if they were really fortunate they could run the table but still don't think they will. I think their biggest challenges will be:
- @Atlanta, @ NY Giants, @ Chargers, Detroit (twice), Chicago
The 4-0 Lions may be most dangerous on their schedule and have an additional potential upside. That being the Lions come later AFTER Fairley should be back and playing. The addition of him at DT alongside Suh could make things really bad for GB.

Games they should win but can't take for granted as wins:
- Tampa Bay, Oakland, maybe even St Louis
That leaves:
@ Kansas City, Minnesota (twice)

Anyone besides me think the officiating in the Monday night game of TB vs. Indy was a little one sided against Tampa?

Also I think that game pointed out a needed rule change... the one where the offense is penalized 5 yards for a player going out of bounds and being the FIRST one to touch the ball after he returns inbounds. That rule cost TB one TD. I understand the need for the rule, and I don't think the rule should be eliminated, but I think the "going out of bounds" part needs to be more blatant or deliberate than just a half a pinky toe on the out of bounds line for the player to be called ineligible to be the first to touch the ball after returning. If the player's entire foot (or more) was out of play, or if the player deliberately went out to avoid contact then those should count as ineligible to be the first to touch the ball after returning.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
At first glance, with that Packer schedule if they were really fortunate they could run the table but still don't think they will.
Games they should win but can't take for granted as wins:
- Tampa Bay
Being in late Novemeber, the Pack have a huge advantage. Not surprisinlgy, the Bucs play like crap in the cold. I'm just hoping it isn't too ugly, but Freeman and Co. find ways to win.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Anyone besides me think the officiating in the Monday night game of TB vs. Indy was a little one sided against Tampa?

Also I think that game pointed out a needed rule change... the one where the offense is penalized 5 yards for a player going out of bounds and being the FIRST one to touch the ball after he returns inbounds. That rule cost TB one TD. I understand the need for the rule, and I don't think the rule should be eliminated, but I think the "going out of bounds" part needs to be more blatant or deliberate than just a half a pinky toe on the out of bounds line for the player to be called ineligible to be the first to touch the ball after returning. If the player's entire foot (or more) was out of play, or if the player deliberately went out to avoid contact then those should count as ineligible to be the first to touch the ball after returning.

A little one sided? I know the bucs had a bunch of unnecessary penalties but officiating was inconsistent at best.

I agree with you on the rule change, I've always felt that was a BS rule; a little leeway should be given, especially if they didn't go out to avoid contact. Another thing was when Garcon(?) made that catch for a big play TD, it looked like his foot was just as much out as Benn's. At least, they won, but they won ugly.

I was still very impressed with the Colt defense, forced the bucs into a bunch of check downs. Also Curtis Painter is not bad, he made some risky throws, but for the most part was pretty efficient. With a little luck not all hope is lost in Indy.

And I have to give a big Chapeau! to the Lions...WOW! Even though they beat my team, I'm totally behind them. I love watching them play.

ImmaculateKadence said:
A little one sided? I know the bucs had a bunch of unnecessary penalties but officiating was inconsistent at best.

I was still very impressed with the Colt defense, forced the bucs into a bunch of check downs. Also Curtis Painter is not bad, he made some risky throws, but for the most part was pretty efficient. With a little luck not all hope is lost in Indy.

And I have to give a big Chapeau! to the Lions...WOW! Even though they beat my team, I'm totally behind them. I love watching them play.

Inconsistent is a good way to describe that officiating.

I also agree on what you said about Painter. And OFC the Lions.

I believe in College if a player is blocked out of bounds he can come back into play like that. But I'm not sure. I like this idea. But the NFL likes rules that are black/white when possible, so one pinky on the line, or not, is a rule they prefer.

Curtis Painter looked terrible in the pre-season games, so it's impressive that he's stepped up here. I mean, he is very green, but trying his best and stepping up like a leader. At times he looked a little like Manning in there. The Colts definitely need to keep him the starter, and he will win some games for them. They play the Chiefs next, at home, so there's hope.

At the rate they are going the Lions will definitely make the playoffs. The Lions have stated that even when Fairley is healthy he will still play behind Corey Williams who is having a great year, and only be used in some passing situations. Still, an incredible thought to think Fairley will soon be an extra guy they can go to, when other teams would die to have him a starter.

Meanwhile, James Harrison is out indefinitely for the Steelers. I wonder how he feels about newer rules protecting the players now?

you are prolly right about black & white rules. But I believe there are other rules that involve the judgement of the official... I just can't think of one off the top of my head.

good for Painter. I like watching guys develop into better players and/or leaders... example: Romo is becomming a stronger leader even if it means chewing someone's ear off justifiably.

Didn't know that about Fairley on the depth chart. But still, you're right about him being very useful in a rotation of 3 D linemen like that.

Harrison claims the injury was the result of his forehead pad slipping down over his eye as he was making a tackle (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7058294/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-broken-orbital-bone-ben-roethlisberger-likely-play). But I did not see the play where that happened. Was it a helmet to helmet contact or someting like that?

ESPN showed it today. About three guys smashed into each other. Not direct helmet to helmet. He may be right about his helmet slipping.

I was jabbing at him because of his trash talk to Roger Goddell during the lockout, and talk about how the league is turning into flag football, etc. I hate seeing anyone get hurt though. He's still a superb linebacker, and the Steelers are going to suffer having him out.

Alpe d'Huez said:
ESPN showed it today. About three guys smashed into each other. Not direct helmet to helmet. He may be right about his helmet slipping.

I was jabbing at him because of his trash talk to Roger Goddell during the lockout, and talk about how the league is turning into flag football, etc. I hate seeing anyone get hurt though. He's still a superb linebacker, and the Steelers are going to suffer having him out.

I understand the jabbing part completely. While I respect him as a player I don't have much respect for some of stuff that comes out his mouth, or mouths of others in similar fashion. Chirping in the NFL seems to come more from certain positions (e.g. some LBs, WRs, DBs, & some RBs) than it does other positions like OL and DL. That's one thing I like about the linemen on both sides, especially the OL... they just seem do their job without all the extra fuss. It's an attitude thing IMO.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I never want to see a player get hurt, but Karma is a cruel ***ch. I don't think many people care about Harrison's injury. He's been headhunting for years, dirtiest player in the NFL, and all this is just a long overdue suspension imposed by Duane Brown. Harrison had it coming.

TRENDING THREADS