• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ImmaculateKadence said:
True. When I rank teams, I always consider strength of schedule and quality of wins to settle equal records. For example, the chargers to me, shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 (top 15 for sure). They have an excellent record but haven't beat anyone significant yet, and some of those games they are barely winning. They are worth keeping an eye on though. Something else to consider, the Packers haven't played a top 10 defense yet. It's possible they're not as good as everyone thinks.

Good point there. The combined record of all teams the Pack has played so far is 12-22, the best team being the Saints at 4-2 overall right now followed by the 3-3 Bears and Falcons.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Raiders say Carson Palmer will play this Sunday. They haven't said he'd start yet, and I doubt he will. I think this is a smart move. Get him into a game, even garbage time. Let him get some rust off, get hit once or twice. Then they have a bye week where he can prep for starting. He seems highly motivated, so that's good. It all depends if we see the 2007-2008 Palmer, or the 2010-2011 Palmer though. The former could lead them to the AFC title game. The latter....

I was wondering what you thought of the Raiders picking up Palmer. I think it's a good move due to the injury of Jason Campbell at QB, but I also think it could be a costly move... maybe even a reach to give up one no. 1 draft pick and a conditional 2nd rounder (that can become a 1st rounder if the Raiders make the playoffs) to get him. Especially at 31 years old and 8 years in the league, he possibly won't be around that much longer.

Strength of schedule is finicky though. For example, here's a link showing SOS using 2010 records. The poor Panthers and Bills having the toughest schedule.

However, some teams are much better or worse than projected. I mean, you simply cannot compare last year's Colts to this year's Manning-less Colts. Nor last year's Lions, 49ers, or Bills. The 49ers for example beat Cincy, who many thought would stink. Not to mention beating Detroit, who was average last year. They also beat Philly - are the Eagles good, or not? Their only loss in OT to the Cowboys. You could thus say they are the best team in the NFL.

But you can't really go week-by-week either. For example, the Redskins team that played last week was nothing like the Redskins team that beat the Giants. But they also barely beat the Cardinals and Rams, who aren't the teams many expected. And the Giants team that won handily last week against a tough Buffalo team, was easily beaten by 11 by the Seahawks.

You could go round and round in circles with this!

on3m@n@rmy said:
I was wondering what you thought of the Raiders picking up Palmer...
Like I said, if Palmer plays like he did three years ago, it's a no brainer. If he's the problem child he was last year, then no. If you look at his contract, it's all back loaded. So on a financial level, it makes sense. From there you just have to compare how much a 1st round and 2nd round draft pick is worth?

If you look at their draft history they have three excellent top picks over the last decade: Nnamdi Asomugha, Darren McFadden, and probably Rolando McClain. In hindsight I probably would not have given up two of those guys for Palmer.

Darrius Heyward-Bay has been decent, and so far Stefen Wisniewski and Lamarr Houston look promising. Michael Huff hot/cold. Mike Mitchell has been average, as was Zach Miller, now with Seattle. Fabian Washington started out with promise, then was average. Robert Gallery was supposed to be one of the best lineman drafted in years, struggled and was considered a bust. Now with Seattle. I would have easily given up any two of these guys for Palmer.

And then there was Jamarcus Russell...

If you ask me, I think Palmer will work out. By that, I mean I don't think he will have any problem with attitude or locker room presence. I hope he works out cuz I hate seeing guys flop like Leaf did. I'd much rather see success stories than bad examples, no matter what team is involved.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Good point there. The combined record of all teams the Pack has played so far is 12-22, the best team being the Saints at 4-2 overall right now followed by the 3-3 Bears and Falcons.

I will say the packers are doing what they should be doing against weak defenses and that's rip them apart. Aaron Rodgers is playing lights out, and typically the games aren't that close. The closest game was ironically against the panthers with seven points, the rest are pretty decisive wins.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Strength of schedule is finicky though. For example, here's a link showing SOS using 2010 records. The poor Panthers and Bills having the toughest schedule.

However, some teams are much better or worse than projected. I mean, you simply cannot compare last year's Colts to this year's Manning-less Colts. Nor last year's Lions, 49ers, or Bills. The 49ers for example beat Cincy, who many thought would stink. Not to mention beating Detroit, who was average last year. They also beat Philly - are the Eagles good, or not? Their only loss in OT to the Cowboys. You could thus say they are the best team in the NFL.

But you can't really go week-by-week either. For example, the Redskins team that played last week was nothing like the Redskins team that beat the Giants. But they also barely beat the Cardinals and Rams, who aren't the teams many expected. And the Giants team that won handily last week against a tough Buffalo team, was easily beaten by 11 by the Seahawks.

You could go round and round in circles with this!

I see what you're saying. It makes some sense. I guess you have to consider (may I use legal jargon) the totality of circumstances here. It goes back to what you were saying before, opinion. Speaking of, I watching ESPN First Take this morning and Skip actually ranked the cowboys the fifth best team in the NFC over the saints because they beat the niners a few weeks ago. You really can go in circles....I'm getting dizzy...

I feel pretty fortunate today. Got to touch a Superbowl ring. A lot of people don't realize that they hand out conference championship rings to both teams, so the loser of the Superbowl gets one too, just for getting there. Took some photos too.

Box1.jpg

Attachments

• Open-2.jpg
    Open-2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 138
  • Top-2b.jpg
    Top-2b.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 137
  • AFC-Side-3.jpg
    AFC-Side-3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Brock-Side-4.jpg
    Brock-Side-4.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Finger-6.jpg
    Finger-6.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 137
Actually met him two years ago at my job, and have interacted with him several times since then. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I hate putting words in anyone's mouth, or talking about anyone of any fame, but he's a great guy. Gentle giant, and a vault of football knowledge. I mentioned before how huge his hands are, and the ring shows it. That's my finger in the last photo, and I don't have tiny girly hands. So you can imagine how giant his hands are.

Let's put it this way. Next time you watch the NFL on Fox where Tony Siragusa is the sideline guy, take a look at how big he is. Now understand that Brock is three inches taller than Siragusa.

Many guys today are probably his size, and heavier. But back in the 80's to early 90's...I don't know for a fact, but I'm going to guess he was probably the biggest guy on the field during his playing days, on most any given day. As another comparison, he was four inches taller than Refrigerator Perry (though maybe 30+ lbs lighter). Put another way, I asked him what it was like playing against hard hitters like Ronnie Lott, John Lynch or Kenny Easley. I don't remember his exact words, suffice to say those guys basically bounced off of him.

My pick at the start and I stand by it. Defenses win chanpionships, altough Flacco is a worry especially in clutch situation if they give the ball to ray rice plenty they will be fine. ofcourse Flakeo couldnt throw it away they will get to the playoffs they have a pretty cushie run in and I would be surprised if they lost more than a couple of games for the rest of the season. In going to be bold and go for a ravens vs 9ers superbowl.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
My pick at the start and I stand by it. Defenses win chanpionships, altough Flacco is a worry especially in clutch situation if they give the ball to ray rice plenty they will be fine. ofcourse Flakeo couldnt throw it away they will get to the playoffs they have a pretty cushie run in and I would be surprised if they lost more than a couple of games for the rest of the season. In going to be bold and go for a ravens vs 9ers superbowl.

I would be happy with that Super Bowl pick. If the 9ers are there they hopefully beat the Pack to get there!! (dislike is there even if Favre isn't)

Week 7 Picks:

Seattle at Cleveland
Atlanta at Detroit
Houston at Tennessee
Denver at Miami
San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
St. Louis at Dallas
Green Bay at Minnesota
Indianapolis at New Orleans
Baltimore at Jacksonville

General thoughts: Detroit could slip against Atlanta. Houston-Tennessee is a hard game to pick. Two tough teams. I think Houston's injuries make the difference. Tebow starts for, energizes and leads Denver to a "home game" victory. Chicago at TB should be close. Beck starts for the Redskins against Carolina. I think Newton will have a hard time with Washington's stingy defense. Palmer will play, but not start for Oakland, who wins either way, though KC is not as bad as their record. Bradford out for the Rams. The rest of the games could be blowouts.

Expert picks from ESPN, if you wish to compare.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Week 7 Picks:

Seattle at Cleveland
Atlanta at Detroit
Houston at Tennessee
Denver at Miami
San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
St. Louis at Dallas
Green Bay at Minnesota

Little to disagree with there, except that for some reason, I like the Bears at Wembley. Many eyes will be on Beck for the Skins. Of course, he could hardly do any worse than Grossman did last week.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Week 7 Picks:

Seattle at Cleveland-
Atlanta at Detroit
Houston at Tennessee
Denver at Miami
San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Green Bay at Minnesota

My upset pick....St. Louis over Dallas :eek:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Week 7 Picks:

Seattle at Cleveland
Atlanta at Detroit
Houston at Tennessee
Denver at Miami
San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
St. Louis at Dallas
Green Bay at Minnesota

There, fixed the games at the Dog Pound and Panthas for you. ;)
My picks there are my two gut-feeling picks of the week... more based on heart than head.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Titans must have thought they were still on bye.
Been a rough weekend, football wise. Titans today, UT Vols yesterday. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
I had to go to the next page to find this...hey TFF, it's your offense versus our defense tomorrow. Naturally, we're both hoping for a win.:p

Washington Redskins, meet Cam Newton. :)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Washington Redskins, meet Cam Newton. :)

Congrats, a deserved win for the less disappointing of the two. This was my first real look at Cam, and of course you can't help but be impressed by the lad. He could re-write lots of records if he stays healthy and if success doesn't go to his head.

I see the Fins blew a 15 point lead - their fans must be feeling suicidal by now - and the Jets again gave away a big lead, only to come storming back late in the game. Some teams just seem to be able to do that.:rolleyes:

Seattle showed the most anemic offense of any team in any game this year. And to think they thought Charlie Whitehurst would be the next Philip Rivers.

Classic Norv Turner against the Jets. Masterful job of snatching defeat form the jaws of victory like he does so well. Lead by double digits in the 4th. Bad play calling on both sides of the ball, terrible clock management. Just, wow.

Awesome win for Atlanta. Now we'll find out what Detroit is really made of. Next up: at Denver.

Even more awesome win for Houston. All those injuries and they still stomped the Titans.

Good win for Tebow. Sketchy game, and bad coaching by Miami's Sporano, but a win is a win.

Hoping the Vikings can upend the Packers for some reason. Maybe because it's Ponder's first start, at home and would make a great story.

Carson Palmer can't get up to speed fast enough for the Raiders. They cut Trent Edwards and kept Kyle Boller for a backup because..? KC isn't as bad as their record, or early blowout losses would indicate.