• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

movingtarget said:
Great start to the season by the Celtics with 13 straight wins after two losses. Kyrie is really performing but the whole team are playing well. Ben Simmons and the 76ers are also doing well. The Bucks seem to be back on track after a few losses.
You mean 76'ers and Joel Embiid? He just wiped his ass in the Lakers today. What a downright incredible performance by Embiid. Him and Ben Simmons is the most lethal duo by far. Im a big fan!

The talent is overwhelming and this point and much of it is international. Giannis, Kristaps, Ben and Embiid all have an incredible high ceiling (well, they are pretty much dominating now anyways), its really a joy to see. Giannis is the best player of them right now and is a legit MVP candidate obviously, but If I had the chance to pick a player (guaranteeing health), Im picking Embiid without hesitation. And this is not speaking about Towns, Davis, Wiggins etc. as well. And the Celtics are obviously looking great, Tatum was a great pick and is playing superbly as well. Celtics and 76'ers will have be rivals for the many coming years.

Really entertaining game last night with a lot of young talent. Kuzma and Ingram really shone for the Lakers, and Simmons looked really good again. Embid was incredible. Love that he just nails every free throw. He seems to be a big man without a weakness other than lack of experience, which really isn't one for long. Ball appears to be completely useless. Can't shoot, doesn't want the ball, doesn't drive, can't defend. Not sure why people like Mark Jackson are saying he'll come around, it's really hard to see at this point.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
movingtarget said:
Great start to the season by the Celtics with 13 straight wins after two losses. Kyrie is really performing but the whole team are playing well. Ben Simmons and the 76ers are also doing well. The Bucks seem to be back on track after a few losses.
You mean 76'ers and Joel Embiid? He just wiped his *** in the Lakers today. What a downright incredible performance by Embiid. Him and Ben Simmons is the most lethal duo by far. Im a big fan!

The talent is overwhelming and this point and much of it is international. Giannis, Kristaps, Ben and Embiid all have an incredible high ceiling (well, they are pretty much dominating now anyways), its really a joy to see. Giannis is the best player of them right now and is a legit MVP candidate obviously, but If I had the chance to pick a player (guaranteeing health), Im picking Embiid without hesitation. And this is not speaking about Towns, Davis, Wiggins etc. as well. And the Celtics are obviously looking great, Tatum was a great pick and is playing superbly as well. Celtics and 76'ers will have be rivals for the many coming years.

Yes Embeid has been great and he and Simmons are combining so well. You can hear the excitement in the coach's voice when he is interviewed. Giannis is such a good defender as well and the Bucks shot blocking was the difference against the Pistons. Interesting times ahead with Jabari Parker still out injured for the Bucks and Thomas yet to get on the floor with the Cavs.

Re:

red_flanders said:
Really entertaining game last night with a lot of young talent. Kuzma and Ingram really shone for the Lakers, and Simmons looked really good again. Embid was incredible. Love that he just nails every free throw. He seems to be a big man without a weakness other than lack of experience, which really isn't one for long. Ball appears to be completely useless. Can't shoot, doesn't want the ball, doesn't drive, can't defend. Not sure why people like Mark Jackson are saying he'll come around, it's really hard to see at this point.
Yeah, Lonzo Ball is trash. Its like his father sold an old car to the Lakers on 100% hype :lol:

Valv.Piti said:
movingtarget said:
You mean 76'ers and Joel Embiid? He just wiped his *** in the Lakers today. What a downright incredible performance by Embiid. Him and Ben Simmons is the most lethal duo by far. Im a big fan!

Embiid's swagger and confidence in his talents is only matched by his performances. He and Simmons are a perfect paring that Philly would be foolish to not lock long term. They are staggering talents. If Simmons continues to work on his game and add three point range to repertoire, he will be pretty much unstoppable.

I feel the need to comment on Lonzo Ball. He seems to me to be playing scared. His set up for his 3 point shot is a strange combo of taking what appears to be a step and a half to his left for the purpose of creating separation from his defender, all as a result of his funky shot mechanics. Add to this the hype that his insane dad creates, it's no wonder that he is struggling to the degree that he is. He seems hesitant in every aspect of the game to the point where Luke Walton often sits him during crunch time. He seems to be a humble guy caught up in the extremely high expectations of his draft position and the pressure of playing in his hometown which also is one of sports biggest media locations. Once he gets it together (and puts on some muscle and weight to enable him to absorb the punishment inflicted, the Lakers, who are constantly getting more competitive, will lift this team to the playoffs in a tough Western Conference. I think they could at minimum displace the Clippers who, not surprisingly, miss Chris Paul immensely.

The team has set itself up to have ample room under the salary cap to bring in an elite talent to anchor the team and thus take pressure off of their young talent of which they have an abundance of (Brandon Ingram, Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle, and Kyle Kuzma who appears to be the steal of his draft class. Adding Lopez was good as they lacked an established veteran to provide leadership and guidance.

...and yes, Giannis is a beast, a combination of a greyhound on offence and a praying mantis on defense. :)

Valv.Piti said:
red_flanders said:
Yeah, Lonzo Ball is trash. Its like his father sold an old car to the Lakers on 100% hype :lol:

I'm going to assume that you're not entirely serious about ball. He did have a game that set a record for young players (youngest to put up a triple double in a game), so the potential is there. It's just that at this point he's like a deer caught in the headlights, almost paralyzed by the enormity of the immediate task that is set before him. He needs to mix aggression with poise and patience and probably stop thinking so much. Allow his instincts to carry him and most importantly, enjoy the game that he is playing. I see absolutely no joy in this guy on the court. I have to bring up his dad again and say that some of the points in the league, primarily those that are looking to enhance their reps and get print in the media, are trying to make sure they get in Lonzo's head, singularly motivated by his father's attitude. They are using Lonzo as a conduit to get at his dad who, I get the impression isn't particularly liked by many of the pro's, and, IMO, for good reason. Making ludicrous statements, like the "I would've beaten Michael Jordan one-on-one" should have been the starting point for the media to put this dude on ignore and yet they seem to find it necessary to quote all of his rambling bs. He's doing his son(s) no favors at all.

I honestly haven't paid that much attention to Lonzo Ball and his father. Perhaps Lonzo is a good kid just caught between his father and....everything and everyone else. I could tell the father is something else right away, and thus tried to ignore anytime he came on my news feed or when I open a site and it has something on him or the Ball family in general. Using your children as 'tools' to live an athletic life he never has is a classic example of parenting in sports in America. I've seen this in soccer as well (think soccer moms and dads). Obviously this is much bigger because the kid plays for the Lakers and gets the media attention that he does, but I am quite sure Lavar has done this with his kids from day one. I could imagine the coaches and other parents just lol'ing and shaking their heads anytime they saw him.

As far as the actual play in the NBA is concerned, the Celtics beating the Warriors was interesting. The Warriors led by a decent margin in the first half but they went cold, the Celtics picked up their defense and some home town cooking in terms of refereeing did Golden State in. It's hard to say now if Boston is the real deal, but they've certainly done some good work, winning 13(?) games in a row, and without Hayward.

It'd be very sweet if the Cavs didn't make the playoffs. What would Lebron do if that happened?? I mean he was rumored to be looking elsewhere after this season anyway, but would no playoffs or an early exit mean no more Lebron in Cleveland? Where would he go?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Im halfway serious about Lonzo. Granted I've only watched him 2-3 games, but he has been horrible in all the games I've watched. He has no attitude, he isn't athletic and his shot is atrocious.

I haven't watched a full Lakers game, only highlights and sometimes I'll watch some reports and maybe an odd interview. The TNT guys are the best, imho. They obviously know their basketball and they are very funny. Barkley is probably one of the most honest, straightshooting/straighforward people in US sports and has been that for a while. I like what he says most of the time. His and O'neal's comments on Ball were right now.

Lonzo hasn't impressed me, but again, it's the highlights. He does have an ugly shot and when he's made mistakes, they've been real bad mistakes. It's as if he is extremely lazy or extremely nervous.

He'll have some good games, but I don't see him being the 'next great NBA player.'

BullsFan22 said:
Barkley is probably one of the most honest, straightshooting/straighforward people in US sports and has been that for a while. I like what he says most of the time.

I used to like Barkley for his honesty, but unfortunately, one can be honestly stupid and ignorant, and he frequently is. He has trashed modern sports analytics, saying it’s just something the geeks who couldn’t get girls in high school created to make themselves important. He derided the Warriors as a “jump-shooting team” that would be exposed. When NFL RB Adrian Peterson was revealed to have beaten one of his kids with a stick, Barkley said “every African-American parent in the south” does that.

And his predictions are often embarrassing, as when he said the Celtics would lose to the Warriors and not hold them to 94 points. Sure, everyone makes predictions that turn out to be wrong, and in fact that particular prediction seemed pretty safe, but Barkley makes them so positively, implying that anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot, that he looks like a fool when they don’t turn out. In fact, he's victim to one of the surest indicators of poor sports knowledge (going back to his ignorance of analytics): recency bias. That's frequently on full display during the playoffs, as in 2016, when he predicted OKC would go all the way when they were up 3-1 on the Warriors.

Merckx index said:
BullsFan22 said:
Barkley is probably one of the most honest, straightshooting/straighforward people in US sports and has been that for a while. I like what he says most of the time.

I used to like Barkley for his honesty, but unfortunately, one can be honestly stupid and ignorant, and he frequently is. He has trashed modern sports analytics, saying it’s just something the geeks who couldn’t get girls in high school created to make themselves important. He derided the Warriors as a “jump-shooting team” that would be exposed. When NFL RB Adrian Peterson was revealed to have beaten one of his kids with a stick, Barkley said “every African-American parent in the south” does that.

And his predictions are often embarrassing, as when he said the Celtics would lose to the Warriors and not hold them to 94 points. Sure, everyone makes predictions that turn out to be wrong, and in fact that particular prediction seemed pretty safe, but Barkley makes them so positively, implying that anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot, that he looks like a fool when they don’t turn out. In fact, he's victim to one of the surest indicators of poor sports knowledge (going back to his ignorance of analytics): recency bias. That's frequently on full display during the playoffs, as in 2016, when he predicted OKC would go all the way when they were up 3-1 on the Warriors.

Yeah well sometimes he is right but when he is wrong he is spectacularly wrong ! I find the NBA panel show he is part of, pretty painful.

Re:

movingtarget said:

It's odd to me that player movement and spacing the floor isn't a standard requirement for any NBA offense. I think that Casey should fear for his job or at least feel a bit less secure in his position as head coach.

I haven't watched hardly any NBA this season, I just read the box scores and hear things via sports radio during my commute. It seems that there is an officiating issue going on. Players and coaches have complained about officials for ever, but this is different, I wonder if it will implode?

Re:

jmdirt said:
I haven't watched hardly any NBA this season, I just read the box scores and hear things via sports radio during my commute. It seems that there is an officiating issue going on. Players and coaches have complained about officials for ever, but this is different, I wonder if it will implode?

As I understand it, they have a relatively new crew of officials that are learning to officiate at the professional level on the fly. One incident in particular stands out for me. Sean Livingston of the Warriors was called for a foul and as players will sometimes do, he didn't agree with the call and approached the official to let him know it. The official moved towards Livingston and in the process, continued aggressively until the player was actually backing up. Face to face at this point the official pretty much head-butted Livingston and then proceeded to toss him out of the game for making contact with an official! The NBA investigated the altercation and gave the official a week long suspension for his part in the incident while Livingston was given I believe a 3-5 game suspension.

I believe it's a case of the officials trying to gain respect while in the process over stepping and causing themselves to be too prominent in the games instead of actually focusing on calling the game as accurately and fairly as they can. The players themselves are just as guilty as it is a too common occurrence for players to dispute every call made against them and to complain when they feel a call has been missed. This especially applies to the some of the elite players in the league.

Angliru said:
jmdirt said:

As I understand it, they have a relatively new crew of officials that are learning to officiate at the professional level on the fly. One incident in particular stands out for me. Sean Livingston of the Warriors was called for a foul and as players will sometimes do, he didn't agree with the call and approached the official to let him know it. The official moved towards Livingston and in the process, continued aggressively until the player was actually backing up. Face to face at this point the official pretty much head-butted Livingston and then proceeded to toss him out of the game for making contact with an official! The NBA investigated the altercation and gave the official a week long suspension for his part in the incident while Livingston was given I believe a 3-5 game suspension.

I believe it's a case of the officials trying to gain respect while in the process over stepping and causing themselves to be too prominent in the games instead of actually focusing on calling the game as accurately and fairly as they can. The players themselves are just as guilty as it is a too common occurrence for players to dispute every call made against them and to complain when they feel a call has been missed. This especially applies to the some of the elite players in the league.
Without a doubt!

KD got tossed last night. The officials won't gain respect from the stars or the fans when they eject players (stars) on a regular basis and/or hear the player contend that the refs are targeting them.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Cavs make a few late trade moves. Isaiah traded to the Lakers and Wade back to the Heat. Schumpert and Rose, Crowder and Frye also gone. Don't see the new pick ups making too much difference re the playoffs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErRsK1F-XI&t=80s

It appears that the new picks have injected new life into a team that previously was completely lacking energy, cohesiveness and simple motivation. The way they dismantled Boston on their own court was quite impressive, especially when you consider the contributions of the new players and how seamlessly they have meshed with the existing team. Clarkson especially, showed that he will be a major problem for other teams bench players to contain. I always saw him as a player that was underrated since his arrival in the league with the Lakers and his versatility as a shooting guard that can also play the point in a pinch, will add to the Cavalier's offensive potency. Add to that the fact that the new players are still building to their prime while the ones they are replacing were all for the most part on the decline performance wise, with the exception of Thomas, and even his full recovery from his hip injury leaves his value in decline compared to playoff time last year.

IMO they are now back as favorites in the east, have only showed hints of what they can ultimately become. The new players are hungry, talented and seem to be pieces that fit ideally in a team that has LeBron as the primary facilitator. Hood, Nance Jr, and Clarkson can all run the floor. Hood and Clarkson can both shoot and create shots for themselves and they haven't the ego's that would create conflicts arising from not getting the 'touches' that they feel they might deserve. Add to that they are all willing and able defenders. Something that could not be said about Rose and Thomas.

The Cav's general manager deserves a praise for this brilliant transformation from a team in a death spiral to what could be a threat to win a championship. I think they are a better team (when you add Kevin Love to the mix after he returns from his injury) than last year's with Kyrie at the point.

Angliru said:
movingtarget said:
Cavs make a few late trade moves. Isaiah traded to the Lakers and Wade back to the Heat. Schumpert and Rose, Crowder and Frye also gone. Don't see the new pick ups making too much difference re the playoffs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErRsK1F-XI&t=80s

It appears that the new picks have injected new life into a team that previously was completely lacking energy, cohesiveness and simple motivation. The way they dismantled Boston on their own court was quite impressive, especially when you consider the contributions of the new players and how seamlessly they have meshed with the existing team. Clarkson especially, showed that he will be a major problem for other teams bench players to contain. I always saw him as a player that was underrated since his arrival in the league with the Lakers and his versatility as a shooting guard that can also play the point in a pinch, will add to the Cavalier's offensive potency. Add to that the fact that the new players are still building to their prime while the ones they are replacing were all for the most part on the decline performance wise, with the exception of Thomas, and even his full recovery from his hip injury leaves his value in decline compared to playoff time last year.

IMO they are now back as favorites in the east, have only showed hints of what they can ultimately become. The new players are hungry, talented and seem to be pieces that fit ideally in a team that has LeBron as the primary facilitator. Hood, Nance Jr, and Clarkson can all run the floor. Hood and Clarkson can both shoot and create shots for themselves and they haven't the ego's that would create conflicts arising from not getting the 'touches' that they feel they might deserve. Add to that they are all willing and able defenders. Something that could not be said about Rose and Thomas.

The Cav's general manager deserves a praise for this brilliant transformation from a team in a death spiral to what could be a threat to win a championship. I think they are a better team (when you add Kevin Love to the mix after he returns from his injury) than last year's with Kyrie at the point.

Yeah the new players are doing well so far. The Isaiah Thomas signing was a mistake which they acknowledged by trading him and Kevin Love will be back before the playoffs. I think the Cavs always were favorites in the East and no one expected Boston to continue in the same fashion. Toronto are looking good but they always have trouble in the playoffs. The Bucks have improved but have some injury issues at the moment but they at least have Jabari Parker back. Logic says that the Cavs make it out of the East. The Rockets are doing well but I expect another Cavs/Golden State final series. The big question is does Lebron stay with the Cavs after this season. Some think he will now.

TRENDING THREADS