• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Unchained said:
This plays out in every big sport,the doctors dance on the razors edge of the Hippocratic oath. The real world diagnosis was, stay off the leg completely for a short time, reevaluate. No matter what doctor given the man's size and extreme physical condition you get no strenuous activity for 10-15 days. If you have legs used as often and in the way Durant used his the only logical state of activity is to rest the strained or broken part.
There is and was too much at stake for the team,the staff, Durant himself and the medical team to do the right thing.
I wonder if Tiger Woods looks back at the stupidity of his centrifuge blood treatment were the doctor ran out of the country ..Tiger needed years not days of voodoo medicine. He needed the tried and true not snake oil.
Durant should have been shelved period..maybe the NBA should hand back the pages of the horse racing handbook were there athletes are dead or broken because of over running.
*and no I don't think that the comparison of race horses and NBA players is a stretch.

It seems a lot of people including his friends told him not to play. Durant isn't blaming anyone and admitted he wanted to play but he'd already been out for over 30 days without a practice session. The ironic thing is that the Raptors blew the game but of course the damage had already been done to Durant, and his team played three quarters without him and won. It seems the temptation to allow him to play and win another title was too great but how do you say no to one of the sport's superstars anyway ? It could have quite easily been a Lebron or someone else doing exactly what Durant did. Something tells me that the Warriors might have new medical staff next year and the coach is obviously gutted over the whole thing.

oldcrank said:
the delgados said:
Total disclosure:
I watched the game with a ton of people who were hanging on every single play. Three pointers from the Raps were met with Yeahhhs! from the entire crowd. Three pointers made by the Worriers were followed by audible sighs from the home-town crowd. In short, the atmosphere was intense and everyone was into every second of the game.
I am not going to lie when saying I kind of whooped and hollered for a couple seconds when KD hit the deck. I am definitely not proud of it, but I liken it to watching, say, an F1 race when the nearest competitor to a favoured driver overcooks a corner and ends up in the wall. We all know that his race is over, but the driver is not hurt. No way would anyone in their right mind would cheer if someone was visibly injured. Say, for instance that KD broke his leg like a dry twig. The vast majority of people in the stands would become silent within seconds. Say an F1 driver hit the wall so hard that he looked dead. No one would be cheering.
My point being is that everyone watching the game got caught up in the moment. Part of the narrative is if or when KD was going to play. So it makes sense that fans were happy that one of the best players in the league was not going to play. But there is no way I would trade a Raps championship for a player who could never do his job anymore. That notion is insane.
IMO, these things tend to get played up to a ridiculous degree.
Sort of like the part-owner of the Worriers who pushed Kyle Lowry s shoulder and has been banned for a year and given a $500,000 fine. That is nonsense. Sure, kick the guy out of the game. Don't let him back for the remainder of the series. But it s not like the guy pulled out a baseball bat and started wailing on the player.
Take it easy.
A little (okay, a lot) off topic but you being a Torontonian, can you explain why your ice hockey team is the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves?

OK ... I'm being serious here ... is "leaves" even a word? Just askin.

I mean ... Maple Leafs ... fine; "Eats, Shoots and Leafs" ... fine. "She's leafing home ... bye, bye" ... fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but I don't think so.

Strordinary ... very strordinary. Hmmmmmm. :geek:

@oldcrank:
Dunno.
Same reason why I cannot rationally explain why our beloved basketball team is called the Raptors. Raptors is the dumbest name ever to grace a pro uniform, but we still luv the little gaffers.
Many people have asked the same question you pose regarding the Maple Leafs, but I am far too dumb to provide a proper answer to your question.
Same as the late great Danny Gallivan who called games for Hockey Night in Canada back in the 70 s.
He used to get a ton of mail asking why he used the term quote galvinating blast! Haters said it was not a word.
He replied thusly: It is now!

The way Thompson was shooting, soon as he went down I thought it was over but the Raptors seemed to get a bit nervous closing it out and the Warriors never gave up. The 3 pointers from Van Vleet were killers and the Warriors kept missing at the line. Curry had an off night and I dunno whether he was just fatigued or what but the defense made it hard for him. Be interesting to see what happens now with the Raptors next season re Kawhi and their roster in general. Entertaining series for all the drama and injury talk as opposed to last year's whitewash.

the delgados said:
@oldcrank:
Dunno.
Same reason why I cannot rationally explain why our beloved basketball team is called the Raptors. Raptors is the dumbest name ever to grace a pro uniform, but we still luv the little gaffers.
Many people have asked the same question you pose regarding the Maple Leafs, but I am far too dumb to provide a proper answer to your question.
Same as the late great Danny Gallivan who called games for Hockey Night in Canada back in the 70 s.
He used to get a ton of mail asking why he used the term quote galvinating blast! Haters said it was not a word.
He replied thusly: It is now!

Legend ... full stop.

Great basketball for weeks.The NBA playoffs were awesome. The championship was spectacular.
I watched it at a third choice sports bar in Monterey Mexico. Went first to a Buffalo Wild Wings( don't ask) it was packed @30 minutes before game time,second place..full..third place..@75% full 2 minutes into the first quarter and was packed by halftime.
Really fun to see the enthusiasm for the series.
Shame about the injuries

Woot! High fives! Bro hugs with strangers! Full body hugs with persons of the opposite sex!
Last night we saw it all.
Horns honking many hours after the Raps--aka team of destiny--were crowned NBA Champs. Then again, the horn action might have been road rage at 3 a.m. but I doubt it.
The Raps won! They buried the Worriers and put them out of their misery. Lets face it, the Worriers never really stood a chance, and although it was cute and all that the Raps granted the people of Oakland one more game before moving to the San Francisco Worriers new home, it seemed like overkill at the end. Sure, the refs did their part trying to keep the Worriers in the game by calling phantom fouls, but alas, it was not to be.
The Raps are champs!
Victory parade on Monday! Come join the party!
p.s. Fred VanVleet! Sounds like the winner of Amstel Gold or something. But no, Fred VanVleet is a player who went undrafted. He came from some obscure college no one has ever heard of; he is pretty much a dwarf in basketball terms. His face was puffed up like a basketball, and he was missing a tooth after being on the receiving end of a vicious elbow to the melon. Yet he put that all behind him and went out there to play a game for the annals. Future generations will look at Fred VanVleets sheer tenacity and will to win and cry tears of joy. No matter what calamity is happening here on earth--cyclones, earthquakes, Donald Trump etc--people will look back on Fred VanVleets performance in game 6 and comfort themselves knowing Fred VanVleet is a real person who did amazing things.

As I've stated a few times, while I completely appreciate his skill I don't like the character that is Steph (I obviously don't know how he is in person so...) . So it will come as no surprise that I also question his post game facetime with Drake. He/his team just lost the NBA finals and he is laughing and joking on the phone with a rapper. I know times are different, but would Bird, Magic, or Air do that? I can't imagine it. I would be crushed, mad, sad...not happy to joke around with a fan from the other team. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm 'picking' on Steph, I feel like James has softened up and would probably do the same thing. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man! :D

Bad to hear that Klay T has a torn ACL.

Re:

jmdirt said:
As I've stated a few times, while I completely appreciate his skill I don't like the character that is Steph (I obviously don't know how he is in person so...) . So it will come as no surprise that I also question his post game facetime with Drake. He/his team just lost the NBA finals and he is laughing and joking on the phone with a rapper. I know times are different, but would Bird, Magic, or Air do that? I can't imagine it. I would be crushed, mad, sad...not happy to joke around with a fan from the other team. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm 'picking' on Steph, I feel like James has softened up and would probably do the same thing. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man! :D

Bad to hear that Klay T has a torn ACL.

i need a holiday from both of them. Watching Curry chewing on his mouth guard on his own, sitting on the floor while his team mates were gathered around Klay Thompson who was injured, said it all. The other one is just painful and I have nothing against Raptors fans and I'm not a Warriors supporter. I thought it was good for the league that they won and I expected them to win after the first few games. As great as Curry is, he has been found out in the playoffs a few times now. The ACL injury for Thompson is just another blow for the Warriors. Now the league goes into one of the most interesting post playoffs for a while with so many elite players expected to be moving on in free agency. But first the draft.........

Many saying that this will put a decent team on the floor for the Lakers..?. I hope so. Still a the past two years teams..a nosebleed is@$350bucks..so if they start winning I hate to see what a Tuesday night game ticket goes for!!
I am not joking but it's near @$7-800 dollars to see a Laker game..even before King James came to town!!

Re:

Unchained said:
Many saying that this will put a decent team on the floor for the Lakers..?. I hope so. Still a the past two years teams..a nosebleed is@$350bucks..so if they start winning I hate to see what a Tuesday night game ticket goes for!!
I am not joking but it's near @$7-800 dollars to see a Laker game..even before King James came to town!!

Utterly ridiculous prices.

Re:

jmdirt said:
AD to LA! If King James can get back up, they will be a good duo. If they also manage to lure Kawhi...

LaVar Ball can start bagging on the Pelicans and NOLA now.

Griffin isn't the type to much up with much BS from the Balls. Both teams won but of course the Lakers need Lebron and AD fit to play.........and they still have cap space to add another good player. With so many good players moving in the off season or probably moving, it's going to be interesting.

Well, that was fun!
Aside from some yokel in the crowd of two million people, it seems everyone took the day off work and extended a parade that was supposed to last 2 hours and made it a five-hour festival of joy.
Thankfully I watched it from home, otherwise I would have been one of tens of thousands of people stuffed into a small space without even the most basic amenities --e.g. a toilet. There were multiple reports of people being carried off due to one type of exhaustion or other, but that s the bad news.
Oh, wait. Shootings and poor parade planning aside, I have a sinking feeling that more bad news is to come.
I don't think Kawhi is going to stay. What better time and place to announce a contract extension than in front of two million people after being given the key to the city in a goofy but endearing presentation by the mayor of Toronto. The fact he kept mum says to me he has made up his mind and is going home to Cali.
Kawhi, we hardly knew ya, but we lurve you just the same as when we witnessed you pull off the most dramatic shot in NBA playoff history.
Kawhi, if you are reading this (and why wouldn't you be doing so (q) you not only have a key to the city, you have a key to my heart.
Godspeed, friend.

Next NBA season should be interesting. Lots of player movement in free agency. The Clippers picked up Kawhi and Paul George. OKC will struggle to make the playoffs now I think. Utah picked up Bogdanovich and Conley. Raptors and Warriors won't be the same of course. The Clippers will be favourites for the trophy.

Re:

jmdirt said:
I'm disappointed by KL/his decision. Maybe its as simple as him wanting to move back home.

You ever hear a story from some rando that seems so outlandish that it might actually be true?
I was sitting beside a professional gambler at a bar one night during a semi-final game and we struck up a conversation. Guy seemed to me to be level-headed, rational and the banter was flowing smoothly. Then, when the topic of Kawhi came up, he said without hesitation and complete confidence that he was going to L.A. I asked what made him so sure and he responded by saying Kawhi likes to play poker.
I said sure, ok, but he can play poker in Toronto.
Guy shook his head and said, No. He has connections in L.A.
Given that I have no idea what that meant and didn`t feel like getting a fork stuck in my side, I didn`t bother pursuing the conversation any further.
I know this story sounds crazy, and it probably is, but I couldn`t help thinking that this guy knew what he was talking about.
Crazy scenarios aside, Kawhi turned down an extra 50 mil to go to a team that has next to no chance of winning.
The hell...?

Re: Re:

the delgados said:
jmdirt said:
I'm disappointed by KL/his decision. Maybe its as simple as him wanting to move back home.

You ever hear a story from some rando that seems so outlandish that it might actually be true?
I was sitting beside a professional gambler at a bar one night during a semi-final game and we struck up a conversation. Guy seemed to me to be level-headed, rational and the banter was flowing smoothly. Then, when the topic of Kawhi came up, he said without hesitation and complete confidence that he was going to L.A. I asked what made him so sure and he responded by saying Kawhi likes to play poker.
I said sure, ok, but he can play poker in Toronto.
Guy shook his head and said, No. He has connections in L.A.
Given that I have no idea what that meant and didn`t feel like getting a fork stuck in my side, I didn`t bother pursuing the conversation any further.
I know this story sounds crazy, and it probably is, but I couldn`t help thinking that this guy knew what he was talking about.
Crazy scenarios aside, Kawhi turned down an extra 50 mil to go to a team that has next to no chance of winning.
The hell...?

The Clippers starting five is very good with the new additions. They don't have the bench depth of Toronto but with all of the player movement, many teams are like that now. Be interesting to see what Toronto do. The Warriors have lost Durant and Klay will be out for most of the season and they also lost Igudola so it's hard to see the Warriors even making the conference final. I thought Kawhi might have stayed at Toronto for another year or two. OKC will struggle, maybe Houston get their chance in the West if they play up to their ability.

Yeah, I just learned about the Paul George addition yesterday. That explains why Kawhi took so long to announce the decision. He knew all along, but wanted to make sure George could tag along.
I don't know, but I'm assuming George was under contract and not a free agent. I need to learn more about the details, but it seems stunning to me that a very good player on a good team could just march up to boss-man, put a gun to his head and demand a trade to a new super-team.
I am all for workers rights and believe unions are essential, but something needs to be tweaked come negotiation time.
After losing both Kawhi and Green, the best the Raps can hope for next year is to make the playoffs.
Sigh. Talk about a year-long hangover.

I haven't been a fan of the path the NBA has taken since Lebron moving to the Heat in 2010. Yes, big trades have been around, but now it's happening very often, with only a handful of teams packed with stars. It would have been great for the Raptors to retain Kawhi and to try keep contending with the same pieces. Now the big market cities are packed with top players, especially out west. It's one of the reasons I've lost a lot of the interest I had in the NBA.

BullsFan22 said:
I haven't been a fan of the path the NBA has taken since Lebron moving to the Heat in 2010. Yes, big trades have been around, but now it's happening very often, with only a handful of teams packed with stars. It would have been great for the Raptors to retain Kawhi and to try keep contending with the same pieces. Now the big market cities are packed with top players, especially out west. It's one of the reasons I've lost a lot of the interest I had in the NBA.

I know I keep crying in my Cornflakes, but the Raps Chris Bosh was part of the package that led Lebron to quote take his talents to South Beach. Bosh was one of a few highly talented players drafted and mentored by the Raps to become a supreme talent in the NBA, only to bolt because he wanted part of a comic-book superhero-type team. Only thing missing were the superman capes.
I know I am being a sore loser here, but fer gawd sake, even Yankee fans get bored of winning year after year. The predictability takes the essential charm of pro sports out of the equation--i.e. the unpredictability. Note the empty seats at a Yankees playoff game.

TRENDING THREADS