• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, although Boston's turnovers were an issue again.

I know we all know it, but it's a bit depressing that the league has essentially come out and said that they ref different players differently, and they also are much more lenient when it might come to throwing stars out of the game. I don't actually mind them being more lenient with everyone in the play-offs/finals but I still think you need to be consistent. If something's a technical foul in the finals, then it's a technical foul no matter whether that player already has one and whether they're a superstar starter or a bench warmer. Same with fouls. You can't let one guy off, which everyone else sees, and then penalise someone else for the same thing.

Same issue with contact, there doesn't seem to be much consistency here with some players getting away with much more than others, even when they're in foul trouble. Boston had this issue against the Bucks, with Bucks fans accusing them of moaning about tough play. I don't agree with that, I think they were pointing out that they weren't being allowed to play in the same way as "Elbows" Antetokounmpo.

Reactions: Jumbo Visma Fan :)
I am a casual basketball fan at this point in my life, that being said, it isn't the game that I was once a much bigger fan of.
-GS had all of the right pieces at the right time.
-Tatum is not a leader, nor does he seem to have the mentality to play big when it matters most.

I am a casual basketball fan at this point in my life, that being said, it isn't the game that I was once a much bigger fan of.
-GS had all of the right pieces at the right time.
-Tatum is not a leader, nor does he seem to have the mentality to play big when it matters most.

He's only 24 and was playing in his first finals, Steph and LeBron we both 27 when they won their first ring. He's been to 4 conference finals, the finals, lead the Celtics through the Nets that everyone else tried to avoid, the Bucks and the Heat. He's the second youngest player to score 1500 play-off points, behind Kobe, the youngest player in history with 600 points, 100 rebounds and 100 assists (yeah, series length and playing time matter here, I know) was the 7th player in hist0ry to make 300+ 3's in a single season...

This seems a pretty unfair take.

Reactions: jmdirt
He's only 24 and was playing in his first finals, Steph and LeBron we both 27 when they won their first ring. He's been to 4 conference finals, the finals, lead the Celtics through the Nets that everyone else tried to avoid, the Bucks and the Heat. He's the second youngest player to score 1500 play-off points, behind Kobe, the youngest player in history with 600 points, 100 rebounds and 100 assists (yeah, series length and playing time matter here, I know) was the 7th player in hist0ry to make 300+ 3's in a single season...

This seems a pretty unfair take.
I will stand by my assertion but add 'yet' to the end. He was disappointing in the finals IMO. Plus, notice that I said that he was not a leader when it mattered most, stats aren't the measure for that necessarily (especially 'overall' stats).

Comparing him to other players...meh. He is neither of those (nor many others), he didn't/doesn't play for those teams, etc.

The 3s stat is mostly meaningless when making historical comparisons because many players take/make more 3s than entire teams used to. Even just look at Steph, his first record breaker was in the mid 200s (2012?), but now his record is in the 400s (2017?).

Reactions: King Boonen
I will stand by my assertion but add 'yet' to the end. He was disappointing in the finals IMO. Plus, notice that I said that he was not a leader when it mattered most, stats aren't the measure for that necessarily (especially 'overall' stats).

Comparing him to other players...meh. He is neither of those (nor many others), he didn't/doesn't play for those teams, etc.

The 3s stat is mostly meaningless when making historical comparisons because many players take/make more 3s than entire teams used to. Even just look at Steph, his first record breaker was in the mid 200s (2012?), but now his record is in the 400s (2017?).
Well 'yet' completely changes the whole meaning of it, it's no longer an assertion but a comment.

They're two of the greatest leaders in this sport, possibly ever, certainly in this generation. Pointing out they couldn't lead a team to a finals victory until they were 3 years older than Tatum seems fair but you're right, he isn't on the 2017 Warriors (or even the 2015 Warriors), or playing with Wade and Bosch in Miami. However good Brown and Williams might be as they get older, they're not Thompson, Durant, Green and Iguodala.

The threes is relevant to show he is out there leading the team by example.

He didn't do well in his first ever finals appearance, with the weight of a franchise like the Celtics on his shoulders, but to say he can't lead when it matters ignores him averaging 29.5pts against Brooklyn (with 31, 39 and 29 pt games), 27.6 pts against Milwaukee (with 29, 30, 34 and 46 pt games) and 25pts against Miami (with 27, 29, 30 and 31 pt games). He didn't do it on his own, Brown, Horford and Smart all had big games, but I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest he can lead. Even getting Boston back into contention and then being the best team in basketball since early January got him into MVP votes.

Reactions: jmdirt
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1538873230534090755

This guy is a walking clown show, I hope he goes to the Lakers for my entertainment as a C’s fan(which I need).
I have to say I'm shocked. There has been absolutely no indication that anything like this could ever happen...

I've defended him in the past as a decent, but misguided guy who catches a lot of stuff he doesn't always deserve. This is all on him now though.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1538873230534090755

This guy is a walking clown show, I hope he goes to the Lakers for my entertainment as a C’s fan(which I need).
There won't be many takers for the sort of money he wants. If he he thinks his brand hasn't been damaged over the past 5 years then he's delusional. Smart GMs won't even think about it. He should probably retire but some poor sap will throw a ridiculous amount of money at him and half a season later will realize that they made a huge mistake.............

Last edited:
There won't be many takers for the sort of money he wants. If he he thinks his brand hasn't been damaged over the past 5 years then he's delusional. Smart GMs won't even think about it. He should probably retire but some poor sap will throw a ridiculous amour of money at him and half a season later will realize that they made a huge mistake.............
Knicks recently in a nutshell.

I’m going to be legitimately gutted if the Celtics trade JB for Durant. Sure, he probably makes you slightly stronger favourites now, and the Celtics are already being touted as favourites for next year, but he’s 8 years older than JB and you’ll have to mortgage the team to get him at this rate, and include Smart who is criminally underrated even after he won DPoY. If it brings a championship people will initially be happy, but I think building around JT and JB likely brings multiple championships.

Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS