• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Saddle Recommendations

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I have an old Sella Italia Flite, probably at least 10 years old and i think its finally time to replace it. I went for a ride yesterday and my seat bones were killing me after about 90 minutes. I haven't been riding much this year so i know that my seat bones need to be broken back in but its completely uncomfortable....so whats a good saddle replacement.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Specialized Team Toupe, or the Romin SL both light, comfy, and non intrusive. I used to sit on the Selle Italia Max Flite before these. Which is still a top notch saddle. If you want to stick to a known quantity, you won't go wrong.

nowhereman said:
Specialized Team Toupe, or the Romin SL both light, comfy, and non intrusive. I used to sit on the Selle Italia Max Flite before these. Which is still a top notch saddle. If you want to stick to a known quantity, you won't go wrong.

You can easily go wrong. The first step is to figure our whether your a$$ is comfortable with a rounded saddle or a flatish saddle. If you get that wrong then you will never be fully comfortable.

Then figure out the width you need.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have arthritice in hips old injuries etc that have now set into concreet with age.
I started with Rolls progressed to flite and have riden flite saddles of all shapes and sizes for past 15 years then I had my sit bones measured .
This told me to go for a narrow saddle I first used SLR gel flow and now I am using SLR . its hard but it is most comfortable. I can ride on it for 4 hours at a time and I have no problems with arthritice or presure points.

Good quality knicks are the way to go and wash them every time you use them. make sure they fit nice and snug.
saddles are personal and expencive I got hold of some secondhand saddles on ebay to try different ones untill I found what I wanted.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I want something light, i have a light saddle now.

The problem is that i think the seat i hve now just got harder over time.

Looking for something comfortable, light, and in expensive if possible.

euphrades said:
I have an old Sella Italia Flite, probably at least 10 years old and i think its finally time to replace it. I went for a ride yesterday and my seat bones were killing me after about 90 minutes. I haven't been riding much this year so i know that my seat bones need to be broken back in but its completely uncomfortable....so whats a good saddle replacement.

Zillions of saddles out there. Go to a shop that has a test ride program...only way to know which will work.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
don't live near a shop that is good like that. All the shops near me don't even have good saddles.

Selle Italia SLR for me but it's different for everyone.

I think competitive cyclist will send out a saddle kit for you to demo. If you're not near a shop, that might be the way to go.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Selle San Marco Regal. They are buttalicious.

Liked this saddle for a long time but got the occasional saddle sore until I got a Fizik. Put the Regal back on a track bike for a short race stint and got a saddle sore in no time.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Been pretty happy with Specialized's line. Three seasons on the Toupe, nearly as much on the Phenom for CX & MTB. Spent a bit of time on the Romin, seems like a nice alternative to the Toupe - if you're spending 'on the rivet' a lot (ie, crits or double-duty TT bike), it's a worthwhile consideration.

Found the Phenom to be the *most* comfortable, will likely swap out my Toupe for it on the winter bike this year. Take one for a spin.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:

If you have had good success with the Flite till now with the padding shot, why not just buy another Flite?

Bustedknuckle said:
Zillions of saddles out there. Go to a shop that has a test ride program...only way to know which will work.

+1000! And be careful with saddles that are too low in price, as you might be trading off durability. A good quality saddle will need a bit of break in time. However, a test ride will definitely tell you if it is not the right one.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Find a good treck dealer somewhere around and ask for the Bontrager sit bone measure kit.

Ounce you have done that its up to you and you alone what you buy only you will be comfortable on it.

No matter what it looks like or how heavy it is you that must sit on it no one else.

It is the most personal part of any bike.
When I fitted the SLR to my bike I took one look at it and thought S!!!T I cant sit on that thing its hard its narrow and nothing in it but it turned out to be the best thing I have tried.
Hard and light.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi. new in here.

I use to ride Ideal leather saddles many years ago, and I used a Flight for many years.

Tried ones with holes in, Max flight and Specialized, but did,nt like the feeling of movement at the back, left and right rocking.

Now I have a Fizi:k Aliante carbon braided on one bike and have just started using a San Marco Regale e on my second road bike.

All these saddles have a wide rear and are not flat.

OK the Fizi:k and San Marco are top of the line carbon, but cheaper ones with metal rails exist.

Did 200k on a Charge Spoon saddle last week, very cheap and not to bad.

The Flight Titainium was not cheap 20 years ago.

Why worry about how light the saddle is? Why not focus on getting the most comfortable saddle? Is a 100 grams worth being uncomfortable on your bike? Will you be faster on light weight torture device? Find a saddle that fits you best and you will ride more and ride faster.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Long time Regal and Selle Italia Turbo user here. Recently picked up a Cobb V-flow Plus. Don't have a ton of time on it yet, but so far it's been "no worse" than the others.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Selle Italia Turbo. Is that the one with cuts in the leather cover and rubber damper blocks mounted in yellow plastic on the rear rails?
Had two of them.
OK the thread started with someone who liked the Flight and was looking for something in the same vein.
If price is the concern check out the Charge Spoon on bike radar.
The Fiz:ck Aliante tends to block you in one position, once you have found it, as getting the level right takes a bit of time. The San Marco Regal at least the first impression (15000km on the Fiz:ck 70km on the S M ) you can slide forward onto the nose and they have some jell or something in there.
I live in the South of France and climb a lot. Now I am working in Venice Italy and have to ride on the flat to get to the mountains. On the flat you need to get low and forward on the saddle.

SpiTimeCannon said:
Selle Italia Turbo. Is that the one with cuts in the leather cover and rubber damper blocks mounted in yellow plastic on the rear rails?
Had two of them.

The one you're referring to is the "Turbomatic". I rode the regular Turbos in the '80s and I loved them. I still have a Turbomatic myself from back then, and won't ever get rid of it. It sits on my commuter now. Great saddles. :)

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
I want something light, i have a light saddle now.

The problem is that i think the seat i hve now just got harder over time.

Looking for something comfortable, light, and in expensive if possible.

I have a Rav-X speedmax gel carbon 2009 model. It is very comfortable and light (185g). Not for sale new anymore, but I did see one on eBay last week for very little.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
i've also got a Fizik Aliante on one bike and the San Marco Regal on another. I like the wider saddles and although only had a few rides on the Regal agree with SpiTimeCannon you can more forward more easily on it.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I used to use the Flite (the version with titanium rails) and was pretty happy with it. I went through a few of them because they'd start to sag and get uncomfortable after a while - from memory about 15000km. Anyways, eventually the dude at my LBS talked me into trying a Fizik Arione and I'm now a convert. Do note that they can take a few hundred km to 'wear in'.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
San Marco Regal for me too, I have one with a few thousand clicks on it and it's getting comfier all the time, I've also just bought the new version with the carbon for my new bike (when it comes).

Latest posts