• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New site design

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Money Talks

Well it seems that the new owners of the cyclingnews brand name currently have little incentive to respond to the hundreds of complaints about the "new look". I would suggest that the best way to get their attention is to make the new change cost them. I for one am going to check out every ad on every page, and then contact all the advertisers and suggest they are doing themselves no favors by advertising on a site that seems hell bent on ****ing off it's readers. My single emails will have little effect, but if all the people who are writing in to this forum to express their displeasure did the same to the advertisers then something might happen. "Money Talks"
I'll bet the guys at VeloNews, Pez, etc. are laughing their asses off right now.

nmwildog said:
Thanks for the link, I'm also looking for anyone else's ideas on somewhere else to go. I haven't been back to what used to be cyclingnews since this thread was at 17 pages(I used to visit CN 3 or 4 times a day), just checked back in to see if the 'powers that be' had made any efforts to assuage the outrage. It's going to take me some time to read the 55 more pages of disgust. Hopefully there will be more good suggestions about somewhere else to find out news. I have had CN as my home page for over 10 years but I absolutely abhor the "new look". Almost as much as the seeming total disregard for the opinions expressed by the vast majority of longtime CN viewers. We'll see in a few weeks whether all those writing in have the intestinal fortitude to back up their talk and stay away. I for one am following the lead of others and bookmarking the forum so I can see if any progress is made without participating in the mess they've made of my favorite site.

Check the post called "alternatives to Cylcingnews" people are posting suggestons on there.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
hugh w said:
Now, to read each news story requires a click back from what I'm reading, click the link to the next story, and wait for a page load. I'm just not going to click on lots of stories, based on their headlines. Look, one page with all the news was a great read.

You're not going to talk me into liking the site!... Why should I choose CN now?

Good points.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
stefan said:
One question for you - on other news sites (BBC, CNN etc) would you expect them to keep the breaking news off the front page to enable people not to see spoilers?

News stories are now correctly grouped into two editions per day, as you can see.

can you spell ARROGANCE?

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
[ Now all we need is for the writing to go downhill and you will have shot yourself in both feet. QUOTE]

If you go back to the archive and read reports from 5 years ago you'll see that this has in fact already happened

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wolfpengap said:
Why do the results have only the first number of the placing???

Are you kidding me? THey can't figure this out? This drives me crazier than the spoiler issue! And why are the results pages so dang hard to read?!?! What was wrong with the old font, size and color? I can barely see the type!

What browser do you use?
I get it correct with Firefoy 3.0.11
But I still have to click "show more" seven times (TdS, Stage 6).
This was promised to be fixed!

Starting to get impatient...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hugh w said:
One nice thing about the formerly information-dense news pages was I could review a lot of stories, most of which I was only casually interested in. Now, to read each news story requires a click back from what I'm reading, click the link to the next story, and wait for a page load. I'm just not going to click on lots of stories, based on their headlines. Look, one page with all the news was a great read. I would scan *all* the stories -- many turned out to be interesting, but I would never click on them based on a headline.

This is so, so true.
I find myself just scanning the news headlines and not clicking them.
The same goes for race reports - see who won in the headline then I'm often not interested enough to bother reading the report. Especially for the 'lesser' races.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
I think it's telling that they have stopped responding to our feedback all together. Simply because they don't give a s**t about our concerns and never did.

You're right, it is telling. It tells you two things - a) we're working hard on making the changes we've said we'd make to ensure they deliver on what's been promised, and; b) I've not yet come across any more themes in the feedback that haven't been raised and responded to already.

You're more than welcome to discuss the issues we've been over amongst yourselves - we're not controlling the lines of this discussion. If requests along a new line of feedback come in, I'll do what I can to address them. Simple.

hugh w said:
One nice thing about the formerly information-dense news pages was I could review a lot of stories, most of which I was only casually interested in. Now, to read each news story requires a click back from what I'm reading, click the link to the next story, and wait for a page load. I'm just not going to click on lots of stories, based on their headlines. Look, one page with all the news was a great read. I would scan *all* the stories -- many turned out to be interesting, but I would never click on them based on a headline.

The new website post articles throughout the day, as it happens and is compiled into editions at two regular intervals throughout each day. You have the option on how to consume the media - so the choice on viewing individual items or editions of news is completely up to your click of the mouse.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson said:
The new website post articles throughout the day, as it happens and is compiled into editions at two regular intervals throughout each day. You have the option on how to consume the media - so the choice on viewing individual items or editions of news is completely up to your click of the mouse.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Greg, how does that work then? When I click on the news articled in the editons sections, i can still only read one article at a time. Is there somewhere to click to bring up all the latest stories in one page?

Also the site is still really slow to load, it often freezes when I try to scoll and then I am looking a a blank page for about a minute before it comes back, any reason for that?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
:):) I would rather see a small Kiwi set up make good than the publishing butchers that brought this site. More power to the Kiwi's I say. After all Cyclingnews started out as a small Aussie set up. I wish them luck, with enough support they could be the next leading cycling site in a few years.

;) ... you bet.

If they work half as well as the Kiwi pursuiters, they'll carve it up. Rivalry aside, you've got to respect simple but effective performance. Helps keep everyone on their toes.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
Greg, how does that work then? When I click on the news articled in the editons sections, i can still only read one article at a time. Is there somewhere to click to bring up all the latest stories in one page?

Also the site is still really slow to load, it often freezes when I try to scoll and then I am looking a a blank page for about a minute before it comes back, any reason for that?

Thanks

Lones1 - under News Editions on the homepage, click on the names of the edition like this one: "First Edition Cycling News, Friday, June 19, 2009" and it takes you to pages like this http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/first-edition-cycling-news-friday-june-19-2009. If people don't feel these links are clear enough, please let me know.

Stefan will probably be the man to speak to about the second part of your question, but I'll try. Page generation time at the server end quicker than the previous website. So I believe it's a matter of optimization to ensure they travel the pipes and download at the user's end in an appropriate time (the quicker the better!). I'll get Stefan to give you a more educated (aka geeky) explanation as to what they're looking at on this front :)

Thanks
Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson said:
Lones1 - under News Editions on the homepage, click on the names of the edition like this one: "First Edition Cycling News, Friday, June 19, 2009" and it takes you to pages like this http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/first-edition-cycling-news-friday-june-19-2009. If people don't feel these links are clear enough, please let me know.

Stefan will probably be the man to speak to about the second part of your question, but I'll try. Page generation time at the server end quicker than the previous website. So I believe it's a matter of optimization to ensure they travel the pipes and download at the user's end in an appropriate time (the quicker the better!). I'll get Stefan to give you a more educated (aka geeky) explanation as to what they're looking at on this front :)

Thanks
Greg Johnson

Thanks for the quick reply Greg. I will follow the links and see how they work. I would appreciate the reply from Stefan as it is really slow right now and I lose interest in waiting.

Thanks

slyrider said:
;) ... you bet.

If they work half as well as the Kiwi pursuiters, they'll carve it up. Rivalry aside, you've got to respect simple but effective performance. Helps keep everyone on their toes.

I'm supporting them. I like the way the results read, no trouble to the eyes. no rivalry here :)

Greg Johnson said:

Thanks
Greg Johnson

Hi Greg

On the front page I cannot click on "First Edition Cycling news, Friday June 19, 2oo9" only the stories under it and then they are one at a time. I am talking about the editions in the middle of the page, about half way down, is there another link that I am missing? How did you do it. Thanks for the help

By the way, the link you put on your message was great, all on one page, just how do I get there?

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
Hi Greg

On the front page I cannot click on "First Edition Cycling news, Friday June 19, 2oo9" only the stories under it and then they are one at a time. I am talking about the editions in the middle of the page, about half way down, is there another link that I am missing? How did you do it. Thanks for the help

By the way, the link you put on your message was great, all on one page, just how do I get there?

To get to the First Edition, Cycling News, click on the purple link on the home page for the edition that says "First Edition Cycling News, Friday, June 19, 2009".

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
well i just finished reading all 74 pages of this thread.

I can't take any more of it.

I'll check back in a couple of months and see if anything has improved

This will no longer be my home page

Like many of the things I have found exceptional over the years "progress" has destroyed this site.

Oh well it's been deteriorating steadily for the last couple of years anyway.

:eek::eek::confused::mad:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Hard to read

With all the changes old habits of knowing where to find things are no longer of assistance. Therefore sound typography conventions should be strictly adhered to. Font issues aside:

Pictures should not be before text in top left hand corners nor at the end in the bottom right hand corners. Someone there at Cyclingnews should know these are the primary optical areas. Pictures belong in fallow areas, top right and bottom left.

Lesson one over.

Signed,

dyslexic

stefan said:
To get to the First Edition, Cycling News, click on the purple link on the home page for the edition that says "First Edition Cycling News, Friday, June 19, 2009".

Thank you, that works, I was clicking on the news on the home page and got nothing. I didn't realise I had to click on the news tab first.

My pages are still freezing up, when I click and when I scroll. This is the only site that does that, any ideas on why?

Thanks for your help

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
Thank you, that works, I was clicking on the news on the home page and got nothing.

My pages are still freezing up, when I click and when I scroll. This is the only site that does that, any ideas on why?

Thanks for your help

It could be an Australia client, UK host issue - we're taking parts of the site to CDN (localised caching) which should help that dramatically. Any more information you can give us will help us with this issue (operating system, browser type and version, type of internet connection etc).

stefan said:
It could be an Australia client, UK host issue - we're taking parts of the site to CDN (localised caching) which should help that dramatically. Any more information you can give us will help us with this issue (operating system, browser type and version, type of internet connection etc).

Huh? Can you say that again in English please?

My internet connection is Bigpond, no idea what the rest means?

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
Huh? Can you say that again in English please?

My internet connection is Bigpond, no idea what the rest means?

Sorry, I'll try to elaborate a bit:

Are you using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or maybe MacOS? If you are on Windows, are you using Internet Explorer, and if so, which version (should be available from the menu). Are you accessing this from work or home? If at home, are you on a broadband connection, and if so, how much bandwidth have you got access to, maybe 2Mb/s?

Many thanks,

stefan said:
Sorry, I'll try to elaborate a bit:

Are you using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or maybe MacOS? If you are on Windows, are you using Internet Explorer, and if so, which version (should be available from the menu). Are you accessing this from work or home? If at home, are you on a broadband connection, and if so, how much bandwidth have you got access to, maybe 2Mb/s?

Many thanks,

Okay thanks

Windows XP
Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2900.5512
Home
bandwidth, I'm not sure what that means, but I have unlimited downloads if that is what you mean

Did I get that right?

Oops sorry, broadband.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Nice results page!

Lones1 said:
If anyone wants to read the results of the Tour de Suisse in a proper format try this link...http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/Results/tour-de-suisse-results.html

This is nice and clean. Easy-to-read. Thanks! It reminds me of the old CN! But it's nicer! Cleaner. And the text occupies more of the page. It's not scrunched up to the right and you don't have a bunch of features distracting you. You don't get a "boxed-in" feeling like you do on the new CN pages. Thanks! This is nice pleasing design. What CN could have become! Appreciate the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.