• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New site design

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2900.5512

You'll find that very old version of Internet Explorer increasingly has problems with many websites. Upgrade to a more recent version of IE (the current one is version 8) or switch to an alternative like Firefox.

I think you'll be surprised how much nicer the web looks!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stefan said:
You're a professional GD? Do you think that the referred site is an example of good graphic design?

Stefan, when I say that you and the others are not savvy in public relations, it is this type of comment I am referring to. Again, rule number one: never, ever show frustration with your critics in public. It is absolutely the most counter-productive thing you can possibly do. If you were to read even the first page of the first chapter of any introductory book on public relations, you would know this. I am honestly trying to help you.

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
sfgrandprix said:
Stefan, when I say that you and the others are not savvy in public relations, it is this type of comment I am referring to. Again, rule number one: never, ever show frustration with your critics in public. It is absolutely the most counter-productive thing you can possibly do. If you were to read even the first page of the first chapter of any introductory book on public relations, you would know this. I am honestly trying to help you.

No off-handedness - just genuinely, and honestly curious.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Design

stefan said:
You're a professional GD? Do you think that the referred site is an example of good graphic design?

No, I'm not saying it is, its an alternative and by no means was the old CN a great design, but it worked!

I realise you guys have put so much into the new CN site, but its more like design over functionality.

I really hope CN gets sorted

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Just curious how many people believe that the features we liked so much about the "old" CN will somehow be re-instated here, and how many believe they are gone for good. The editorial staff have said contradictory things about this...some have said that this is a release that will be improved based on reader feedback, others have indicated that cherished features of the old CN won't be brought back. What's the truth? There's been a lot of talk from the editorial staff about how well-considered a change this is, but it looks like all they did was port over CN headlines to fit the Bike Radar web model. Presumably a single web code for two websites is less costly to maintain...and Future Publishing already had the Bike Radar model available, so that's what we get. If anyone at the parent company would publicly commit to using the reader feedback here to recreate the features that have gone missing, I'm sure we'd all be patient and stop whinging, but to date such a commitment has been noticeably absent. Anyone on the editorial staff care to comment?

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
live feed & results

Ok, on another note, the live feed still does not update. Even worse, once you click on "latest," the site updates only once. Then, to get more current information, you have to close the browser, reload the website, and do it all over again.

As for results, the staff kept their word, the "show more" icon is gone as they promissed. Unfortunatelly we are now left with the top ten places only. You can no longer even expand to view the full results.

I hope that this is not intentional out of spite to all of the commenters.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
stefan said:

Thats' right Stefan -- good attitude -- argue with your customers! That's the spirit that got us this site redesign! Damn the customers!

Dude -- you'd be so fired if you worked for me. Just sayin' :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
new design

i agree. it also looks like some features have been deleted - start lists, for example. perhaps most glaringly, maps. a major race like the Suisse and no maps!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
OK the 1st/2nd Edition Cycling News looks better

Thanks for going back to the "all on one page" technique. It's even an improvement over the old site, in that each story is individually linkable.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
zyxwvu said:
One thing is for sure, Lance let his 1,1 million followers know he doesn't like the new site either:

Hell, he needs to buy the site then hire new editors that know how to act professionally, and understand and care about what made this site different. Also, the current editors should be demoted to staff and part-time writers:D.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Crikey said:
Just curious how many people believe that the features we liked so much about the "old" CN will somehow be re-instated here, and how many believe they are gone for good. The editorial staff have said contradictory things about this...some have said that this is a release that will be improved based on reader feedback, others have indicated that cherished features of the old CN won't be brought back. What's the truth? There's been a lot of talk from the editorial staff about how well-considered a change this is, but it looks like all they did was port over CN headlines to fit the Bike Radar web model. Presumably a single web code for two websites is less costly to maintain...and Future Publishing already had the Bike Radar model available, so that's what we get. If anyone at the parent company would publicly commit to using the reader feedback here to recreate the features that have gone missing, I'm sure we'd all be patient and stop whinging, but to date such a commitment has been noticeably absent. Anyone on the editorial staff care to comment?

Do I believe that the features of the old CN that made it so great will ever be back? No. If they wanted them in the site they would have been included in the redesign from the beginning. Sure we will see some reformat changes here and there and maybe some layout changes as well but that will be it. To change the redesign at this point and time would mean that they would have to admit they screwed up and made a mistake. And that just wont happen there are too many egos in the way.

But do I hope they will be back? Sure, there is always hope even though it sounds naive.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Crapola!

I hate to say this as I've been an avid and loyal viewer of Cyclingnews since when it was "BILL"S" Cyclingnews! I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am. It seems that the website has gone from being an instrument to convey worldwide results and information about our wonderful sport, into one that to many here it seems like another java script filled web page for advertisers to sell stuff. Gone are the easy html links that are easy to see and navigate on any ol' browser, also gone ( I can't find them..so there gone) are the COMPLETE results for stages, not the abbreviated crap you have now. I don't come here to see the results of some stupid web designers pretty-pretty html and java-script tricks. I come here to get race results, race reporting, tech articles and other info presented in an easy to use format, which the OLD website did quite admirably. The new site, is to complex, does not render well in some browsers. If you use dial-up then you need to wait LONGER for the pages to load. And on top of that, is the same as other commercial web sites. i.e., NOT VERY GOOD!

My recommendations:

Can the Web Designer! Fire his ****. Go back to the old site until you can come up with another design that isn't filled with crapola. Go back and start including the full results, even if it means you have to render another page (OMG!!!) Enough of this single page crap! Finally. DO THIS BEFORE JULY FOURTH. I cannot and will not recommend to all the people at my office, that they follow the TDF (or any race )on this web page like I have done the last 15 years. Until then, I will find some other site, even Velo-Noise and if I come back to this site I will turn off the page style on my browser, turn off java script and render it in html. But more importantly, I will think twice about using sponsors who advertise here as they seem to be the most who have gained from this "redesign" it certainly wasn't the readers!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
here here.

while some say it is because people are resistanmt to change, i think this new scheme is pretty bad. i really like dthe old site. in fact, i came here rather than velonews beause of the quick-to find links, legible font, and use of space. this current incarnation is difficult to navigate, concentrates the text into a too-small column, and the font looks bad especially on the live coverage. it is so bad, i gave up reading it today.

plus, where are the thumbnail galleries? breaking news? tech reports?

i know i, along with many other at roadbikereview, would like to see a return to the previous style of cyclingnews. this is not progress.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Disappointingly slow and clunky

What was wrong with the old site? It was fast, comprehensive and up to date. It's now slow, full of graphics junk and difficult to navigate. Seems like another example of dumbing down. Sorry to be negative, but i'm tired of sites that put the emphasis on flashy appearance at the expense of functionality and efficiency. I can read, and I want to read. If I wanted to look at gimmicky pictures and graphics I'd buy junk magazines and watch junk TV.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
What were you thinking?

I just now joined this forum. Yeah, like the others, I felt compelled to join the others in lambasting you for your ineptitude. Your new format sucks. I typcially check out the sites (Pezcylingnews, velonews, etc.) 2-3 per day. Now the only reason I check out your site is to see if you have come to your senses.
I hope you didn't pay some exorbitant fee to make this "upgrade."
Really, I bet you wish you could have this one back (decision)
I'm just saying!!!
Out

Status
Not open for further replies.