• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

"New Test, Introduced Without Warning, Could Give Antidoping Officials an Edge"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Guest
thehog said:
I like Alberto but I get the feeling they knabbed him on the transfusion test during it's testing phase. The Clen positive was the only way they could legally get him. This will go to CAS and by that point the tranfusion test will be valid. He's gone. Shame. Super super nice guy.

Hey, since you present yourself as having access to the guy, would you tell him to shut the **** up? I don't know of any press conferences today, but maybe he just gave a local one? Either way, protesting your innocence every day looks desperate. I think there's a PR firm that has an office in Austin that could help...I can't remember their name, but I am pretty sure there are some people here who have the number. Maybe shoot them a PM, get the number, and pass it along.
 
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm ready for full retroactive testing for this. Cheating is cheating. Let's punish them as best as we can.

rolfrae said:
"Scientists are probably using the new test on other riders’ blood samples. Antidoping experts would most likely want to compare Contador’s levels of the plasticizer with those of his peers before moving forward with any charges, said two people with knowledge of the case."

thehog said:
They need to test the 2009 samples. Which would mean Lance wins 8!

Let's say they run this test on the top 15 riders in this year's Tour and find that all of them have similarly elevated levels. Then, they do the same for last year's top 15 . . . and get the same result. If they sanctioned all of them, that would basically mean a lifetime ban for an entire generation of leading riders, would it not? (Without looking up the two Tours, I'd guess that most of the top 15 from both Tours consist of the same names.) Why do I think this isn't going to happen?
 
Oct 8, 2010
450
0
0
Visit site
Animal said:
But the DS's and doctors and teams are undoubtedly complicit in as complicated and dangerous a game as transfusions.

They can't just look the other way, and say the riders did it all alone.

Sure they can.

What about "the UCI doesn't have any jurisdiction over doctors" don't you understand? The UCI has the same jurisdiction over team doctors as it has over telling your local paperboy he can no longer ride his bike. Get it? The UCI cannot ban or suspend somebody who does not take a license out through the UCI.

As for banning director sportifs, they can do that since they are licensed through the UCI. But to date, none have been suspended. What does that tell you about the UCI's desire to hold others on a team accountable? Richard Virenque could become a director sportif tomorrow and the UCi wouldn't have a problem with it.
 
May 11, 2009
117
0
0
Visit site
rolfrae said:
This part of the article should have the rest of this year's Tour podium a little worried:

"Scientists are probably using the new test on other riders’ blood samples. Antidoping experts would most likely want to compare Contador’s levels of the plasticizer with those of his peers before moving forward with any charges, said two people with knowledge of the case."

It would be high impact if 8 out of the top 10 were nailed with this test, if they were cheating. That would really send a strong message.

I am of the opinion now that the idea of 'the cheats will always be ahead of the system' is not going to be true very soon. The dopers will have to go through so many hoops to cheat that it will affect their racing, even with the benefit of the physiological boost. I'm sure the wealthy teams have people dedicated to helping out with the doping scheme but for riders who do it independently its a different story. Even several years ago it seemed like a hassle to me, to see what some guys were doing to dope - and doping is certainly a lot more complicated now based on what I read.
 
TERMINATOR said:
Sure they can.

What about "the UCI doesn't have any jurisdiction over doctors" don't you understand? The UCI has the same jurisdiction over team doctors as it has over telling your local paperboy he can no longer ride his bike. Get it? The UCI cannot ban or suspend somebody who does not take a license out through the UCI.

As for banning director sportifs, they can do that since they are licensed through the UCI. But to date, none have been suspended. What does that tell you about the UCI's desire to hold others on a team accountable? Richard Virenque could become a director sportif tomorrow and the UCi wouldn't have a problem with it.

No ****, Sherlock! UCI in "not medical governing body" shocker!

They STILL can't just shrug and abdicate responsibility.

The doctors are complicit.

I don't care if you think I'm saying that I think that the UCI adminsters medical practice.

The doctors play a part in doping.
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,355
1
0
Visit site
You know if anyone had advance notice of the plasticizer tests, it would be lanceneel. It would be something else if the top of the gc got squashed with this, sans radioshack. Might be a 'careful what you ask for' situation
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
TERMINATOR said:
They have no other choice, dumbass.

You don't need the comma genius.

Now, I think they ought to test every sample they have stored for plasticizers, and when they list them out (lets face it, it will include just about everyone), they say "Okay, this is your first offense, but because of the fact that it would end professional cycling completely to ban for 2 years, everyone on the list will receive a lifetime ban on the next offense." They also should include that they will continue to develop tests, and not publicize them, and those tests will be instituted without notice, and that any violation gets you banned for life.

It won't stop doping, but it would go a long way to letting the public and riders know that the game is up, and the nod/wink about doping is over.

They also need to seriously involve riders in the process of racing and performance enhancement avoidance because the fact is that we as fans always scream for "bigger, stronger, and faster" which means that we ask them to do things that are not possible without doping. I love cycling, and want to see the professional peloton get past this period. It seems that the UCI's attitude has been to make proclamations regarding a new generation of "clean." Whistling in the dark is a children's coping mechanism. If they are smart (and Patty does not give me hope that they are), they will realize that they will kill the sport to continue in the manner they have over the previous few years. People will only deny for so long, as many of the former Armstrong fans here will tell you.
 
Jul 6, 2010
2,340
0
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
You don't need the comma genius.

Now, I think they ought to test every sample they have stored for plasticizers, and when they list them out (lets face it, it will include just about everyone), they say "Okay, this is your first offense, but because of the fact that it would end professional cycling completely to ban for 2 years, everyone on the list will receive a lifetime ban on the next offense." They also should include that they will continue to develop tests, and not publicize them, and those tests will be instituted without notice, and that any violation gets you banned for life.

It won't stop doping, but it would go a long way to letting the public and riders know that the game is up, and the nod/wink about doping is over.

They also need to seriously involve riders in the process of racing and performance enhancement avoidance because the fact is that we as fans always scream for "bigger, stronger, and faster" which means that we ask them to do things that are not possible without doping. I love cycling, and want to see the professional peloton get past this period. It seems that the UCI's attitude has been to make proclamations regarding a new generation of "clean." Whistling in the dark is a children's coping mechanism. If they are smart (and Patty does not give me hope that they are), they will realize that they will kill the sport to continue in the manner they have over the previous few years. People will only deny for so long, as many of the former Armstrong fans here will tell you.

He actually does need the comma.

You just said you don't need 'the comma genius'. Those in glass houses...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
JMBeaushrimp said:
He actually does need the comma.

You just said you don't need 'the comma genius'. Those in glass houses...

...throw stones like a madman. I stand corrected.

Use a comma to avoid confusion. This is often a matter of consistently applying rule #3.

* For most the year is already finished.
* For most, the year is already finished.

* Outside the lawn was cluttered with hundreds of broken branches.
* Outside, the lawn was cluttered with hundreds of broken branches.
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,086
1
0
Visit site
thehog said:
They need to test the 2009 samples. Which would mean Lance wins 8!

'Cause there's nothing suspicious about this at all!

Cobber said:
OK, just entered all of LA's blood values from the past year into a spreadsheet and graphed it. Shaded in blue is the normal range (85-95) for OFF-score. Anyone want to bet that LA got transfused immediately before the TdF? Based on how quickly it dropped after 6/16/09, if he was tested a week earlier he may have been above the 133 cutoff. Seems ironic to me that these values were posted by LA as evidence that he doesn't dope...

2qnab02.jpg
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
JMBeaushrimp said:
I'm still waiting for The Comma Genius to show up. From what I've heard, he has ALL the answers...

I think I have a new name for the next time I crash RBR forums...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
JMBeaushrimp said:
Beautiful! I'm going to use "The Colon Warrior"... Oh, wait... that doesn't sound right...

Yea, "The Colon Explorer" sounds more gentle...
 
Jul 6, 2010
2,340
0
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, "The Colon Explorer" sounds more gentle...

Maybe just 'The Colon', but in all caps. Cause I really do have a big ***...

Oh, how about The Fantastic Colon Invader? Nah, probably too gay to get by the mods..
 
Jul 27, 2010
620
0
0
Visit site
Having recently completed a "ban" myself, I feel I can add a somewhat personal perspective on this thread.

Retrospective testing with new tests. Yes. The riders sign up for it.

Just as I hope the mods continue to introduce new and approved rules on posting etiquette here and then trawl through all of our previous posts to find any contraventions :D

One thing though, TFF (note my punctuation). You said something about hoping cycling "gets through this period". I am genuinely not being facetious, but I am interested in how long you have been a fan of cycling. This particular "period" has been going on for 20 odd years now, and cycling's general history regarding "doping" has been pretty tainted since it's inception as a competitive sport. This forum has roughly 15,000 members, and how many of them would you say are regular contributors to the clinic? How many are "sick and tired" of their sport being ruined by cheats?

Now, against that, how many lined the road to watch the tour live this year, or the giro or even the vuelta? How many were at Roubaix? At Geelong? My point obviously, is that i don't think most "fans" actually care a great deal about this topic, or think that their enjoyment of the sport is being ruined by doping.

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but basically, if riders get caught they should get banned. However they get caught. Until they do though, I hope people just carry on enjoying the sport more than they enjoy talking about doping or speculating about who might be doing so. I know it's kind of fun, but bike racing is much more fun.

Anyway good to "see" you again TFF....and Colon Commando would be my choice:D