• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New U.S. stage race in Colorado?

How is this Great News?

crispy said:
Anyone remember the Coors Classic? I just saw this and think it's great news for the U.S. scene, especially after the Tour of Missouri folded.

I dunno, the UCI exporting their format and racers at the expense of what's going on here is hardly a win. Americans don't seem to be especially interested the European format. I think this is what USAC wants to happen, but like they always have done, it will just kill local participation.

The Tour of California is nothing special. The organizers seem to be obsessed with being near vaguely urban starts/finishes. That excludes any terrain steep enough to meaningfully split fields. They would need to cross the Sierras via dirt roads to get legitimate Cat 1 climbs. I'd go watch that in person, but it's not going to happen.

I am very interested in discovering how Weisel/Stapleton/Armstrong fit into the financial outflows. None of those guys work for free.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean when you say it will kill local participation. And what is going on here that this will be at the expense of?

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I've watched many stages of the Coors Classic back in the day, and would love to see those stages come back. But, I'll believe it when I see it. We've seen these announcements before (Tour of Texas?), and a year later, everything fizzles. The economy is still flat, and finding a marquis sponsor for another big stage race in the U.S. will be difficult. Maybe Coors can team up Celestial Seasonings.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
Transfers would be a *****, too.

Talk about rough transfers - I remember back in the mid-late 80s going to see a "Tour of the Americas" race in South Florida. I think they started by having a couple of stages in South America then finished with a few stages in Florida. Saw some big name pros there but that setup obviously didn't have staying power...

Tour of Utah, anyone? How is this race always overlooked in articles like this? It would be great if Colorado got a race, but Utah HAS one. And it's a pretty damn good one.

If you're looking for a good US stage race, I recommend checking it out. It's definitely got some of the best climbing in the US. And it already exists. Keep hoping for other races, but don't forget to support the ones that we have while you're doing it!

http://www.tourofutah.com/index.php?p_resource=home

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Take it with a grain of salt, especially since there's no official announcement yet. I'd love to see it though. I remember seeing Lemond, Hinault, Hamptein, etc, in the Coors Classic. The race had great crowds. Colorado could put on some great stages although it will take a change in attitude to get the road closures for the best stages.

Mtn top finish on Mt Evans? ;) Nah, wouldn't be selective enough for the CN forum crown

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
Mtn top finish on Mt Evans? ;) Nah, wouldn't be selective enough for the CN forum crown

It would be rather epic, but can you really have an mountain top finish at 14,000+ feet?! I suspect the medical crowd might frown upon it.

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
Move out california.

The 4th grand tour has finaly arrived.:cool:

I can see it now...

The Tour of Colorado presented by LiveStrong.com (.org??).

Yikes.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
eleven said:
It would be rather epic, but can you really have an mountain top finish at 14,000+ feet?! I suspect the medical crowd might frown upon it.

That's why the wink. I know they'd never do it. It would be pretty cool though... There are quite a few summit finish possibilities in Colorado though.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I can see it now...

The Tour of Colorado presented by LiveStrong.com (.org??).

Yikes.

Well, having LA involved one way or another would be the best possible thing that could happen to the CN forum. Just about the time all the LA threads begin to die down there will be new blood in the water to attract all the sharks. What fun! :)

A

Anonymous

9000ft said:
Well, having LA involved one way or another would be the best possible thing that could happen to the CN forum. Just about the time all the LA threads begin to die down there will be new blood in the water to attract all the sharks. What fun! :)

Yep. It's a frightening reality.

Amen!

mr. tibbs said:
Tour of Utah, anyone? How is this race always overlooked in articles like this? It would be great if Colorado got a race, but Utah HAS one. And it's a pretty damn good one.

If you're looking for a good US stage race, I recommend checking it out. It's definitely got some of the best climbing in the US. And it already exists. Keep hoping for other races, but don't forget to support the ones that we have while you're doing it!

http://www.tourofutah.com/index.php?p_resource=home

Can I get an Amen!?

Tour of Elk Grove,
Superweek,
Nature Valley Grand Prix,
They just finished another one in Oregon that's been around forever.
Tour of the Gila
I've left off a couple of East Coast American classics.
Tour of Utah

It's all there! I think USAC's mission is to import everything from the UCI, racers included, at the expense of what's happening here. I'd argue some benefits accrue to Weisel and Co. when they import everything, but it's not clear what those benefits are...

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I miss the tour of GA, ive lived here for nearly 20 years and loved watching it. I hope it comes back North GA has some wicked rollers.

Id love to see a big Colorado race, and it would be awesome to see maybe george hincapie and lance get behind it. Lance bolstered the leadville 100 by showing up. It would be huge for american cycling if those 2 even after retirement rode or sponsored some of these big races.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
It would be epic. Not sure riders could handle the 4 week tour, though. Transfers would be a *****, too.

Maybe alternate between coasts?
Why would a Tour of America have to be coast to coast?

You could tuck a three week tour in the Pacific NW; or New England, or the rust belt, or Minn/Wisconson - Dakotas - Montana/Wyoming, or the Carolinas - Tenn/Kentucky - Arkansas/Missouri, and yes even the Four Corner states.

Heck, even just NY and Penn could host a damn good race. And if it is to be a true Tour of America, what about Canada and Mexico?

turtlesoup said:
I miss the tour of GA, ive lived here for nearly 20 years and loved watching it. I hope it comes back North GA has some wicked rollers.

Id love to see a big Colorado race, and it would be awesome to see maybe george hincapie and lance get behind it. Lance bolstered the leadville 100 by showing up. It would be huge for american cycling if those 2 even after retirement rode or sponsored some of these big races.

Headline: George Hincapie and BMC Team to race Tour of Utah

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/george-hincapie-and-bmc-team-to-race-tour-of-utah_128365

@Dirty: I loves me some Nature Valley, and racing Elk Grove has always been a dream of mine.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
There are several good roads that cross the Sierras.

How about this route:
http://www.everestchallenge.com/page1.ihtml?id=19&parent_id=0

29,000 ft of climbing.:eek:

Looks brutal. What is the general gradient of the mountains like? Are they steep, or more consistent gradient and the length is the killer. Cool that they have the Cima Coppi for the highest mountain point.

mr. tibbs said:
Headline: George Hincapie and BMC Team to race Tour of Utah

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/george-hincapie-and-bmc-team-to-race-tour-of-utah_128365

@Dirty: I loves me some Nature Valley, and racing Elk Grove has always been a dream of mine.

What about Tour of the Battenkill? Looks like some quality racing there.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
It is OK we have 2 new guys to hate Millar /T. Dekker
To bad they aren't Merikan.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
There was some good discussion about potential routes etc here

turtlesoup said:
It would be huge for american cycling if those 2 even after retirement rode or sponsored some of these big races.
I would hope not to see them ride. No reason this couldn't develop into a serious stage race with top level participants. American cycling has put on some impressive races in the past; these two riding around would make a mockery of the race and bring unnecessary faded and jaded star power.

TRENDING THREADS