• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No 2020 Amgen Tour of California?

Jan 8, 2020
Visit site
Sad to hear no 2020 Amgen Tour. I live in the East Foothills of San Jose CA one of the best road biking areas in the country. So good it is, the Amgen Tour came here to my backyard 13 times. Saw Peter Sagan 9 times, 5 different Tour de France GC winners plus the best sprinters, Cavendish, Kittel, Kristoff. Always had a great time watching-cheering. Very lucky! This is a big loss for my cycling community as well as for California and America! Is it about money or something else and will it ever return?

Last edited:
American model makes it hard to run an event on publlic roads, cost of closing roads was way higher as nothing for free, then local business didn't always want cover those costs and seems tourism board hesitated too. Great race but like alot of races in the US, it struggled to get enough $$$'s, wondering will another week race try push into this slot as an alternative to a giro.