• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 340 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe Schlickenrieder will start to recognise that challenging obstacles are better than featureless flat races now that the Germans would benefit from them.
Nah, Schlicki being Schlicki will probably suggest that she has to work more on her sprint (at least their women now have a good coach who knows what he's doing).
Stadlober really critical of the lap, she says it's jut too narrow for a mass start.

I don't know why they moved the part of the stadium in use over to the biathlon, meaning the XC loop was way off, It's a bit like when they do biathlon in the Lago di Tesero stadium in Val di Fiemme, they can use all but the Zorzi climb, but then they have to go through the XC stadium and then on to the adjacent biathlon stadium meaning around 500m of complete flat run-in, really limiting what they can do with the rest of the loops. Using the biathlon stadium as the base here means that any of the obstacles of the proper loop are just way too far from the finish, but since there's, you know, a whole stadium there and they aren't using the biathlon stadium for anything above national cup level this season, I don't understand why if they could only open up one set of trails they would use these ones and not the old XC loop.

Also watching this tragedy of a race, I can't help but think, even if the guy might be a prize bonehead both on and off the snow, this race needs Sasha.

Musgrave with skating skis, double poling the whole thing. Can't say I'm surprised.
Holund probaby hates the fact that they aren't using the proper XC loop.

Its ridiculous, FIS deserves if Tiril Weng wins the World Cup this season given the amount of sprint races and these easy courses in distance races (she has some merit on her improvement though). The men's race has some many people in the front group that even an out of shape Iversen has a chance to win and I am starting to think Pellegrino will finish the World Cup overall on the podium.

Anyway, in biathlon both Johannes Boe and Laegreid are already at the top of the World Cup after a 1-2 finish in the sprint and pursuit and seem to be the strongest contenders at the overall although Samuelsson and Jacquelin are in pretty good shape too. Fillon Maillet far from his best already lost a lot of points to the Norwegian duo so he is unlikely to repeat last year's win. In the women's side the Öberg sisters are clearly the fastest skiers but wasted a lot of points in the sprint race by 3 missing shots each, so the World Cup is still totally open (but nice to see Vitozzi and a few young Germans gettin gtop results).

I don't know why they moved the part of the stadium in use over to the biathlon, meaning the XC loop was way off, It's a bit like when they do biathlon in the Lago di Tesero stadium in Val di Fiemme, they can use all but the Zorzi climb, but then they have to go through the XC stadium and then on to the adjacent biathlon stadium meaning around 500m of complete flat run-in, really limiting what they can do with the rest of the loops. Using the biathlon stadium as the base here means that any of the obstacles of the proper loop are just way too far from the finish, but since there's, you know, a whole stadium there and they aren't using the biathlon stadium for anything above national cup level this season, I don't understand why if they could only open up one set of trails they would use these ones and not the old XC loop.

Also watching this tragedy of a race, I can't help but think, even if the guy might be a prize bonehead both on and off the snow, this race needs Sasha.
Iivo would already have added a lot.
Those laps are just too narrow for mass starts and too easy and it's almost comical how thy still give out technique violation warnings to everyone but the Norwegian athletes...

Speaking of fixing laps, if they to the longer ones Toblach would be really easy to fix by doing the whole thing clockwise instead of anticlockwise. The long false flat downhill during the 2nd part of the lap becomes a slight uphill drag, but in return you get 2-3 (depends if you do the longest loop or not) climbs during the 2nd part of the course before going over the nordic arena right before the final corner.

I think the problem is not with the CC-stadium itself but the CC-courses are not on asphalt so they need more snow to cover the surface. I am not sure of the situation right now but they had to take the decision two weeks ago when there was no natural snow at all.

I think the problem is not with the CC-stadium itself but the CC-courses are not on asphalt so they need more snow to cover the surface. I am not sure of the situation right now but they had to take the decision two weeks ago when there was no natural snow at all.
Yes that is the reason. The biathlon loops are Ski Roller Tracks which means you need a lot less snow than on natural roads.
Though, the amount of skating steps was flat out ridicilous. You would need to disqualify half the field really.

Its ridiculous, FIS deserves if Tiril Weng wins the World Cup this season given the amount of sprint races and these easy courses in distance races (she has some merit on her improvement though). The men's race has some many people in the front group that even an out of shape Iversen has a chance to win and I am starting to think Pellegrino will finish the World Cup overall on the podium.

Anyway, in biathlon both Johannes Boe and Laegreid are already at the top of the World Cup after a 1-2 finish in the sprint and pursuit and seem to be the strongest contenders at the overall although Samuelsson and Jacquelin are in pretty good shape too. Fillon Maillet far from his best already lost a lot of points to the Norwegian duo so he is unlikely to repeat last year's win. In the women's side the Öberg sisters are clearly the fastest skiers but wasted a lot of points in the sprint race by 3 missing shots each, so the World Cup is still totally open (but nice to see Vitozzi and a few young Germans gettin gtop results).
Speed won't be sustainable for Hanna, probably not for Elvira either but she'll still be likely the quickest once they get back to the norm, just not by quite as much. The last couple of years the Swedes have hit the first World Cup crushing everyone on the skis, only for it to normalise by Christmas. Östersund being the traditional opener has meant their training programs have always been around being at their best at the start of the season, and obviously their pace advantage is exaggerated, because Olsbu-Røiseland, Eckhoff and Sola, three of the fastest skiers last season, are not there.

Speed won't be sustainable for Hanna, probably not for Elvira either but she'll still be likely the quickest once they get back to the norm, just not by quite as much. The last couple of years the Swedes have hit the first World Cup crushing everyone on the skis, only for it to normalise by Christmas. Östersund being the traditional opener has meant their training programs have always been around being at their best at the start of the season, and obviously their pace advantage is exaggerated, because Olsbu-Røiseland, Eckhoff and Sola, three of the fastest skiers last season, are not there.

It sounds like it could be difficult for Eckhoff to return to her former level, both physically and mentally, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a Soukalová-like situation where we'll never see her race again, but fingers crossed.

Poromaa had to race with 2,5cm lower poles because Swedish Managment screw up. Maybe someone didn’t like his comments about the waxing the other day. He was pissed after the race to say the least. Interesting that the team Managment disagreed with him having bad skis Friday (he wouldn’t be so close to podium with bad skis) and today Byström told media the lower pole didn’t affected the results. Add to that he apparently told Halfvarsson it was ok to ski outside the course in Ruka. So I sense he is not just unpopular in womens team but probably also in the mens team. He probably will be fired after the season.

Karlsson and Anderson won’t race Davos, instead they will prepare for Tour de Ski on home soil. Last year they did Davos and stayed their over Christmas but trained to hard on altitude and messed up the preparations.

In Norway, team selection is again a hot topic. This time Gunnulfsen had been told he was reserve and should stay in Lillehammer area but when Klaebo was a non starter today the call went to Krueger with his impressive 50-something place from Ruka, So people are furious. Tomorrow they will announce the Beitostölen team so I expert more happy faces. The real fun will be Davos and Tour de Ski though. I guess it’s possible even Tildheim Andersen won’t be selected.

Poromaa had to race with 2,5cm lower poles because Swedish Managment screw up. Maybe someone didn’t like his comments about the waxing the other day. He was pissed after the race to say the least. Interesting that the team Managment disagreed with him having bad skis Friday (he wouldn’t be so close to podium with bad skis) and today Byström told media the lower pole didn’t affected the results. Add to that he apparently told Halfvarsson it was ok to ski outside the course in Ruka. So I sense he is not just unpopular in womens team but probably also in the mens team. He probably will be fired after the season.

Karlsson and Anderson won’t race Davos, instead they will prepare for Tour de Ski on home soil. Last year they did Davos and stayed their over Christmas but trained to hard on altitude and messed up the preparations.

In Norway, team selection is again a hot topic. This time Gunnulfsen had been told he was reserve and should stay in Lillehammer area but when Klaebo was a non starter today the call went to Krueger with his impressive 50-something place from Ruka, So people are furious. Tomorrow they will announce the Beitostölen team so I expert more happy faces. The real fun will be Davos and Tour de Ski though. I guess it’s possible even Tildheim Andersen won’t be selected.

Wait, did I miss something?
Tbf, Poromaa also only showed up 30 sec before the race started, my overall impression is that he's a bit of a knucklehead.

Yeah, that behaviour in the Norwegian team is also not ok in my book. If someone is selected as the reserve you go to him first when someone won't start. Probably could have been handled better. Now I don't know who is supposed to race the Tour de Ski and who not, but if someone wins a race you give him another shot because he earned it and you wanna see how consistent he is.

Wait, did I miss something?
Tbf, Poromaa also only showed up 30 sec before the race started, my overall impression is that he's a bit of a knucklehead.
To be clear I was talking about team principal Byström. Yeah, long story with Karlsson, Spahn, Dahlqvist breaking out of the squad. Most likely to do with the organization of the training camps and coaches in the NT. Been a few articles about it in media where it seems the trio is taking all the chances to critize the managementToday there was a story where Dahlqvist complained about bad leadership back in Oberstdorf when they thraten to send her home because she violated the Covid rules kissing Bolger in the stadium.

Poromaa can give a stupid impression from time to time, remember in Tour de Ski a few years ago when he throved his equipment in a violent way and on the Olympics when he was angry with Altamiras. Not sure if he was the one to blame this time. Apparantly, he put his pole where they should be but when he returned from warm up someone had taken them (probably someone who would stand next to track with reseve poles). And they couldn’t find any pole in the correct size.

To be clear I was talking about team principal Byström. Yeah, long story with Karlsson, Spahn, Dahlqvist breaking out of the squad. Most likely to do with the organization of the training camps and coaches in the NT. Been a few articles about it in media where it seems the trio is taking all the chances to critize the managementToday there was a story where Dahlqvist complained about bad leadership back in Oberstdorf when they thraten to send her home because she violated the Covid rules kissing Bolger in the stadium.

Poromaa can give a stupid impression from time to time, remember in Tour de Ski a few years ago when he throved his equipment in a violent way and on the Olympics when he was angry with Altamiras. Not sure if he was the one to blame this time. Apparantly, he put his pole where they should be but when he returned from warm up someone had taken them (probably someone who would stand next to track with reseve poles). And they couldn’t find any pole in the correct size.
Yeah, I understood that you were talking about him. Ah yeah, the whole story about them no longer training with the team.

Yeah, not to mention when Poromaa tried to double pole the classic race in Val Münstair of all places back in the 2021 Tour de Ski. I can understand why a powerhouse like Svensson would try that, but for him that was clearly the wrong approach.

Oskar Svensson is a mad lad and would probably try to double pole Mördarbacken if he could.
Svensson actually managed to finish inside the stage top 10 with that strategy. Still not as crazy at the ski classics top guys who all double poled the whole climb up the Plätzwiese, 7kms at 8.2%. But the Ski Classics guys are just psychotic, those who won the 2 men ranking at Vasaloppet (Matteo Tanel and Patrick Klettenhammer) did a +220km all night training session with headlights on between Toblach and Schluderbach a few weeks earliers.

Svensson actually managed to finish inside the stage top 10 with that strategy.
Too bad this sucess gave him the idea that double pooling the final in Oberstdorf worlds was a good idea…

Thing with Svensson is he is far from the strongest but he is quite smart and he like to try unorthodox strategies. Often it works but when not he looks quite stupid.

Too bad this sucess gave him the idea that double pooling the final in Oberstdorf worlds was a good idea…

Thing with Svensson is he is far from the strongest but he is quite smart and he like to try unorthodox strategies. Often it works but when not he looks quite stupid.
Yeah, but with him it often works.
Halvarsson on the other hand is really talented, but his ideals are usually really, really stupid.
Poromaa is talent (he was never on of the top guys in the junior ranks on an international level, but still good), but my impression is that he's a bit of an idiot who always blames others when things don't go his way.

Sadly, Andersson out with covid. It’s obvious more Swedes might be affected. Let’s see the coming days, I think she shared room with Ribom and possibly Hagström.
Yeah, but with him it often works.
Halvarsson on the other hand is really talented, but his ideals are usually really, really stupid.
Poromaa is talent (he was never on of the top guys in the junior ranks on an international level, but still good), but my impression is that he's a bit of an idiot who always blames others when things don't go his way.
Dont get me started on Calle, it not unluck that stopped him atleast. I think a big reason why the Swedish men have been so poor the last years is because they look up to him.

I agree Poromaa often complains and can off-putting. Some times he is actually quite funny though even if humor is a bit weird. I would definitely describe him as a supertalent. Although he didn’t medal junior worlds but he completely messed up Oberwiesentahl 2020 preparations, those were by farhis worst races the season (similar to Anger last year) and the season before was destroyed by a broken arm. I think he started with skiing quite late, even if his father was quite a good skier and wax technician so surely he tried it before but he think he started competing at 15 years or something. It’s also quite interesting that when most Swedish skiers lives in either Östersund and Falun, Poromaa moved to Sundsvall and is doing all training alone (ofcourse he meets up with the national every fifth week for training camps).

Sadly, Andersson out with covid. It’s obvious more Swedes might be affected. Let’s see the coming days, I think she shared room with Ribom and possibly Hagström.

Dont get me started on Calle, it not unluck that stopped him atleast. I think a big reason why the Swedish men have been so poor the last years is because they look up to him.

I agree Poromaa often complains and can off-putting. Some times he is actually quite funny though even if humor is a bit weird. I would definitely describe him as a supertalent. Although he didn’t medal junior worlds but he completely messed up Oberwiesentahl 2020 preparations, those were by farhis worst races the season (similar to Anger last year) and the season before was destroyed by a broken arm. I think he started with skiing quite late, even if his father was quite a good skier and wax technician so surely he tried it before but he think he started competing at 15 years or something. It’s also quite interesting that when most Swedish skiers lives in either Östersund and Falun, Poromaa moved to Sundsvall and is doing all training alone (ofcourse he meets up with the national every fifth week for training camps).
Yeah, but Poromaa has improved a ton in a short amount of time since last year. Before that I rated him below guys like Schumacher and Moch as potential supertalents (and god knows what has happened to a talented guy like Graz since entering the World Cup, maybe Cramer can help him). Him starting late could explain a lot.

About Norway, I think guys like Andersen and Ree are the future of their distance team.

Yeah, but Poromaa has improved a ton in a short amount of time since last year. Before that I rated him below guys like Schumacher and Moch as potential supertalents (and god knows what has happened to a talented guy like Graz since entering the World Cup, maybe Cramer can help him). Him starting late could explain a lot.

About Norway, I think guys like Andersen and Ree are the future of their distance team.
True, regarding Moch. I think he is a lot better then has shown yet though. Guess the 20k i Davos should suit him.

For Norway I agree, but you could add Moseby to that list aswell and they have a lot of more talents that will be svept up by the regional or private teams which mean they will continue a few years and might progress to the World Cup team. Ree wasn’t even top 10 in Norway last year as a junior so his progression is great. First time I heard of him was when he was very close of winning a national race in Sweden (One realize the quality is low but all top skiers losing to a Norwegian that couldn’t even top in juniors race would be like the last nail in the coffin).