• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 363 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not a fan of Anna or Mona? ;)

The women's pursuit is defintiely not decided beforehand. Wierer may even medal if she gets her shooting right.

Of course, I am a Swede after all! :D

Hanna and Linn should have the best chance to fight for a medal though.

Anna needs to have a great race and some luck with the others missing. Mona is too far behind I think, but may end up in the top 10 hopefully.

Maybe the fog could make it troublesome though and there can be some major shifts.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Arnekleiv is crazy, she's been middling on the IBU Cup and didn't even really stand out for pace there, and she didn't get her form quite right for the European Championships, being pretty good but only really hitting her best toward the end of the championships, being best in the Mixed Relay. But she was amazing in Obertilliach on the IBU Cup, clearly way too good for that level and she's absolutely riding the crest of a wave of form here, just like we've seen others like Kebinger in Antholz do, but with the weather conditions here she's not just performing at a justifiably World Cup level but is legitimately threatening medals.

I have little confidence in DHW not melting down on last shoot
Simon should probably win thereby, but Denise might still win if she can hit 4/5. Simon is a really tenacious last lap fighter, she won from a position of being dropped on the climb on this particular course a couple of years ago, though that might have been the mass start rather than the pursuit. Rest of the medals are still open. Schneider is a complete lottery in a pressure shoot, and Tandrevold has made a habit of fouling up the last shoot this season.

The French really have a love story with the pursuit race. Its the fourth straight year that they win this race in major Championships, the only difference its that this time its in the women's side (I don't think it will happen in the men's side again but with Fillon Maillet you never know).

Herrmann missed a bit too much this time and nice to see Olsbu back into medals after her health troubles.

The French really have a love story with the pursuit race. Its the fourth straight year that they win this race in major Championships, the only difference its that this time its in the women's side (I don't think it will happen in the men's side again but with Fillon Maillet you never know).

Herrmann missed a bit too much this time and nice to see Olsbu back into medals after her health troubles.
Top 3 isolated pursuit times: Simon, Jeanmonnot, Chauveau. Tandrevold and Voborniková were the only others within a minute of Simon.

Germany will also be happy with a belated youth movement. Kebinger like Arnekleiv had a slow start to the season (even missed December), but has really improved her skiing. Schneider had an abortive World Cup run a couple of years ago, but finally looks like the athlete she looked like becoming at the junior levels. They aren't that young anymore (both 25 I believe) but they've made a big step forward this season and so the future doesn't seem that bleak - they'll probably make a decent support squad behind Selina Grotian in future.

Patrick genuinely thinks this is what we all want to see. He is continually talking about how great it is to see this and how everybody loves to see it.

This is literally the last thing most biathlon fans want to see. We want to see races.

Yup, even with days like this, I really doubt JTB even gets out of 3rd gear. Like Laegreid is very good but just doesn't have the ski speed to compete with JTB. He basically needs JTB to miss 2 more shots than him in any race to have a chance.

Nice to see Samuelsson back to a very good shape and avoiding a complete Norwegian podium. He could be a threat for JTB in the mass-start (a bit of wishful thinking here).

Norway finally winning the pursuit again in major Championships with perfect races from Johannes Bø and Lægreid.