• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Not Official: No Galibier and telegraphe in le tour?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
stage_15_profile_670.jpg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I have always thought this would be a great idea.....

A mountain TT ,,,,2 riders go at the same time [ reverse order] 2 minutes apart.
That would be so exciting.

Could you imagine the last 2 riders going,,, ,Awesome, no cat and mouse just fast climbing.

ray j willings said:

A mountain TT ,,,,2 riders go at the same time [ reverse order] 2 minutes apart.

Could you imagine the last 2 riders going,,, ,Awesome, no cat and mouse just fast climbing.

Yeah, imagine Chris and Brad in 2012....

My hate isn't with the Galibier, it's with Alp d'Huez
Pretty sure Libertine Seguros can dig up at least 150 climbs that are overall better than Alp d'Huez in terms of overall hardness, connectivity to other hard climbs and or scenery,

So many July tards think it's hardest climb if cycling, whilst it's barely worth to be HC.

Red Rick said:
Pretty sure Libertine Seguros can dig up at least 150 climbs that are overall better than Alp d'Huez in terms of overall hardness, connectivity to other hard climbs and or scenery,

So many July tards think it's hardest climb if cycling, whilst it's barely worth to be HC.
To be honest, Alp d Huez is a pretty good climb but the fact that we see it every second year is the reason why I hate it.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the alpe is only once in every 2 years. but all in all this is terrible news. imo the galibier should be in the tour every year, one year from telegraphe side and the other year from the other side

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
gunara said:
ray j willings said:

Yeah, imagine Chris and Brad in 2012....

No I don't want to :D

Say Berti and Froome are 1 and 2 . Nibs and Quintana 3 and 4

NIbs and Quintana ride together to make up time.

Whats Bertie or Froome going to do , they could not play cat and mouse and loose time to Nibs and Quintana and at some point one of them "froome :D "
will get dropped .....It forces the riders to ride and race.

so what are the realistic options? make the stage shorter and do a straight swap of Glandon or Croix de fer for Galibier? Carry on descending after Glandon and do the grande serre/ornon loop before the alpe or go up the Alpe to bend 5 @ Villard Reculas and turn left then do it again. ASO surely wont go over Sarenne again after the problems they had with the local environmental groups last time. I've not riden the Maurienne yet (roll on July 1st) so I'm not familiar with the alternatives they could tack on at the start of the stage any kind soul offer some insight?

Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

(in order of when they came to my mind, not any particular ranking. Some are pretty debatable I think)
1. Monte Zoncolan
2. Alto del Angliru
3. Rettenbachferner
4. Alto de La Línea
5. Col du Galibier (north)
6. Col de la Madeleine
7. Colle delle Finestre
8. Peña Escrita
9. Collado de las Sabinas por Haza Llanas
10. Col de Tourmalet
11. Kitzbüheler Horn
12. Großglockner-Fuscher Torl
13. Col du Lein
14. Pikes Peak
15. Valley of the Tears
16. Col de l'Iseran
17. Cime de la Bonette
18. Colle delle Fauniera
19. Colle Esischie
20. Colle di Sampeyre
21. Colle dell'Agnello (Italian side)
22. Col de Granon
23. Mont du Chat
24. Cà San Marco
25. Passo dello Stelvio
26. Passo di Mortirolo
27. Passo di Gavia
28. Passo Rombo (south)
29. Passo di Fedaia (FEDAIA!)
30. Col Tze Core
31. Coll de Pradell
32. Puerto de Ancares (Pan do Zarco)
33. Col de la Lombarde
34. Fuji-San
35. Stoderzinken
36. Hochsteinhütte
37. Monte Crostis
38. Monte Matajûr
39. Mangart
40. Spindlerpass
41. Kühtaisattel via Silzer Sattel
42. Malbun
43. Kaunertal Gletscherstraße
44. Passo Pennes (north)
45. Splügenpass
46. Alpe di Neggia
47. Pian del Montecampione
48. Punta Veleno
49. Alto da Torre
50. Paul da Serra
51. Réfuge de l'Abérouat
52. Port de Pailhères
53. Col de la Pierre Saint-Martin
54. Blockhaus
55. Puerto de La Marta
56. Mont Bisanne
57. Col du Sanetsch
58. Roßfeld Panoramastraße
59. Prato Maslino
60. San Pellegrino in Alpe
61. Rucas
62. Rifugio Barbara Lowrie
63. Colle del Nivolet
64. Alto de Letras
65. Alto del Vino
66. Bola del Mundo
67. Mont Carò
68. Thyon 2000
69. Alto del Gamoniteiro
70. Col de Joux-Plane
71. La Grande-Dixence
72. Ovronnaz
73. Nufenenpass
74. Lago di Naret
75. Jito d'Escarandí
76. Llano de las Ovejas
77. Monte Padrio
78. Monte Bondone
79. Kronplatz
80. Hautacam
81. Passo dell'Umbrail
82. Merano 2000
83. Puerto del Trobaniello
84. Fonte da Cova
85. Zillertal Höhenstraße (Melchboden)
86. Zillertal Höhenstraße (Zirmstadel)
87. Páramo del Verjón
88. Loma del Escobero
89. Teide
90. Col d'Errozate
91. Col d'Arnostegui
92. Port de Larrau
93. Col de la Croix de Fer
94. Chamrousse (via Col de Luitel)
95. Mont Ventoux
96. Großer Speikkogel
97. Gerlitzen Gipfelstraße
98. Zettersfeld
99. Kehlsteinstraße
100. Coll de Pal
101. Steinplatte
102. Hochkar
103. Monte Etna (Rifugio Citelli)
104. Monte Etna (Rifugio Sapienza)
105. Puerto de la Ragua (south)
106. Haza del Lino
107. Cuitu Negru
108. Salto de la Cabra
109. Monte Oiz (north)
110. Port de Balès
111. Plateau de Beille
112. Rassos de Pegüera
113. Großer Scheidegg
114. Pica do Arieiro
115. Lienzer Dolomitenhütte
116. Port-Ainé
117. Turó de l'Home
118. Col de la Couillole (east)
119. Pipay-les-Sept-Laux
120. Col du Grand-Colombier
121. Collet d'Allevard
122. Aime-La Plagne
123. Val Thorens
124. Plan du Lac
125. Plateau de Solaison
126. Aleko Hut
127. Passo Bernina
128. Dalsnibba
129. La Cumbre
130. Juvasshytta
131. Shymbulak Ski Resort
132. Plateau des Saix
133. Planachaux
134. Calar Alto (south)
135. Collado del Algüacíl
136. Klausenpass
137. Männlichen
138. Idalpe
139. Furkapass
140. Albulapass (northwest)
141. Roque de los Muchachos
142. Trivigno
143. Passo Manghen
144. Monte Grappa
145. Passo Fittanze della Sega
146. Kraľová Hoľa
147. Pico de las Nieves
148. Puerto de Izaña
149. Passo di Croce Domini (west)
150. Passo Giau (south)

Phew, I was getting bored by the end there but luckily I left off quite a few famous ones as I'd have been annoyed if I had to give up.

Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

(in order of when they came to my mind, not any particular ranking. Some are pretty debatable I think)
1. Monte Zoncolan

150. Passo Giau (south)

Phew, I was getting bored by the end there but luckily I left off quite a few famous ones as I'd have been annoyed if I had to give up.

Lol, I can't believe you just did that. That's awesome

Red Rick said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

1. Monte Zoncolan

150. Passo Giau (south)

Lol, I can't believe you just did that. That's awesome

Legend.

Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

1. Monte Zoncolan
150. Passo Giau (south)

By far my favourite person on these forums

Now do 150 just in France :D

Don't actually waste even more time...

One of these years ASO should just start things off with 4 days of Reunion...

1st, a proloque
Then a flat circuit around an island (along seaside), roughly 200 kms
3rd day, PITON DES NEIGES
4th day, a shortish hilly stage of small roads and constant up-and-down. Just about 100 km in order to finish early and enable organization to board an evening flight to Paris (arrives next morning - overnight flight).

5th day to be a rest day and then continue from Paris outwards on Day 6.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
After descending from Col du Glandon or Col du Croix de Fer, one option for the new route would be Allemond - Villard Reculas - La Garde - Le Freney d'Oisans - Le Bourg-d'Oisans - Alpe d'Huez. Really nice, small roads (D211B and D211A) and more climbing before MTF in Alpe d'Huez. I rode those roads on March.

About the reconstruction work of tunnel du Chambon that blocks the traffic on road 1091 between Bourg d'Oisans and Col du Lautaret, the reopening was planned to happen on 10th July but it has been shifted. There is a lot of political pressure going on at the moment. More information can be found at

http://www.ledauphine.com/politique/2015/06/05/le-collectif-chambon-met-la-pression

Re:

bonaqua said:
After descending from Col du Glandon or Col du Croix de Fer, one option for the new route would be Allemond - Villard Reculas - La Garde - Le Freney d'Oisans - Le Bourg-d'Oisans - Alpe d'Huez. Really nice, small roads (D211B and D211A) and more climbing before MTF in Alpe d'Huez. I rode those roads on March.
This would result in descending half of the Alpe climb to get from where the Villard-Reculas and Alpe d'Huez roads meet to the road from La Garde to Le Freney d'Oisans, right? If so, I can't imagine that will be possible, simply because of the amount of fans that will line the road that the riders are trying to descend. While the Vuelta has done something similar with the Navacerrada loop for Bola del Mundo, there the majority of the fans were on the section from Navacerrada to Bola del Mundo, which wasn't descended; also Navacerrada south is very straight, very few corners and no real technical tests, whereas the Alpe is full of hairpins, and given that fans will line up all the way up Alpe d'Huez it could be very difficult to maintain order.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

1. Monte Zoncolan
2. Alto del Angliru
3. Rettenbachferner
4. Alto de La Línea
147. Pico de las Nieves
148. Puerto de Izaña
149. Passo di Croce Domini (west)
150. Passo Giau (south)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

rs_500x200-141111110815-tumblr_n8pj68vHop1qcm0m3o1_500.gif

Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

1. Monte Zoncolan
-
-
-
150. Passo Giau (south)

How long did you need to make this list :D

Do you really think all of these climbs are better than Alp d´Huez? I think if it would only be used once every ten years nobody would say this climb is bad.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:

Right, let's go!

1. Monte Zoncolan
-
-
-
150. Passo Giau (south)

Do you really think all of these climbs are better than Alp d´Huez? I think if it would only be used once every ten years nobody would say this climb is bad.
yep, I agree ;)

Gigs_98 said:

I did say some of them were quite debatable, although I did leave off some good ones, like Pila-Ciel-Bleu, which I really shouldn't have forgotten since I love the Valle d'Aosta, and Superbagnères, which I love but am not really sure I could consider harder than Alpe d'Huez - although its connectivity to other climbs is far, far better because it can be linked straight off the back of Port de Balès, Peyresourde or Portillón with no respite. I also included the Tourmalet, which I despise, but is tougher than the Alpe. A lot are included simply for being overall harder climbs, not for necessarily being better than the Alpe, however like Angliru I think the Alpe is due a long layoff so that when they return it's something special. After all, the Stelvio and Mont Ventoux are among the most iconic climbs in world cycling, but the Giro and Tour respectively only visit them occasionally; it doesn't impair their lustre. The most excited people have been for the Angliru ever, apart from '99, was 2008 when it hadn't been seen in six years.

A few of the climbs on my list are oddities as well that would have little more than curio value (Shymbulak, for example, which is a phenomenal climb just outside Almaty, Kazakhstan, where atm there's only the rolling single-day race; if they turned that into a short stage race like the Spanish ones when Spanish cycling was doing well - two sprints, a bumpy stage, an ITT and an MTF - then certainly it would come into more realistic consideration), and this helps them seem fresh. Some of the climbs mentioned are pure garage ramps that are stupendously difficult but would be unlikely to realistically host any race (Idalpe, Männlichen, Kehlsteinstraße).

Alpe d'Huez is an icon of cycling, but not every stage has to be iconic. If the racing is good it doesn't matter where they're racing to. And the other problem with always using the same climbs is that the riders know them like the backs of their hands as well, which affects how they race them. They know where the attacks will be made, how many watts they need to put out, and so on. It takes some of the instinct out of racing.

TRENDING THREADS