• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O Gran Camiño 2024, Spain, February 22-25

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sometimes guys bloom at different times. Look at tratnik. I can accept Vingo turned a sharp corner. But it’s worth discussing
Jonas started out a little slower than Pogi and had confidence problems at the start of his career. He did show a very high climbing level on the Angliru in 2020, that is why he was brought as a domestic to the tour in 21. That he already was at the level of a tour podium that year was surprising, but that he was a major talent was no secret.

You are posting like you are "clinic" fishing, but I might be reading too much in to it. If you are then go there.

Edit: btw he did beat pogi in the itzulia in 21, so that's something.

Last edited:
Can you post a link? As for Scribers comment that Vingegaard came out of nowhere, IMO he is right. I just checked pre 2021 TdF odds. Vingegaard wasn't even listed anywhere, likely as he was only Roglic's mountain domestique until Roglic crashed on stage 3.

This link is an example what I found (dated June 2021). Other sites with odds don't list Vingo either.

Alpe d'huez 2017 is no argument, i was talking in a less "serious way", but he really won an ITT to the alpe d' huez with 17 years, i think it was a race of amateurs.

Correction: it was in 2015.

Screenshot-20240226-180840-Facebook.jpg

He started to show some results with 23 years, it wasn't that later. Some riders appear more later than others due to specific factors, but the engine was there for sure.

Last edited:
He needs to win a little more and then I’ll accept it a little more factually. He is really good. Great? Yes. All time great? Lol
It's more your need to belittle him I'm curious about. It's not just you, but many users on here are always busy pointing out how Vingegaard came out of nowhere, how he doesn't ride onedayraces, how he is only winning in July, how he is a boring rider, how he is a wheelsucker etc. And every time he disproves you guys you just find something new. I just don't buy it and to me your agenda is obvious. You can't handle he is winning and you guys are having a hard time hiding it in your comments :)

Reactions: dennisdy
It's more your need to belittle him I'm curious about. It's not just you, but many users on here are always busy pointing out how Vingegaard came out of nowhere, how he doesn't ride onedayraces, how he is only winning in July, how he is a boring rider, how he is a wheelsucker etc. And every time he disproves you guys you just find something new. I just don't buy it and to me your agenda is obvious. You can't handle he is winning and you guys are having a hard time hiding it in your comments :)
All of those are true things except for the wheel sucking part and the part about people not handling the winning. I mean you’d have to be dumb not to sit on wheels until you can gain in the race. And he’s won some stuff.

Alpe d'huez 2017 is no argument, i wasn't talking in a less "serious way", but he really won an ITT to the alpe d' huez with 17 years, i think it was a race of amateurs.

Correction: it was in 2015.

Screenshot-20240226-180840-Facebook.jpg

He started to show some results with 23 years, it wasn't that later. Some riders appear more later than others due to specific factors, but the engine was there for sure.
All this does is disprove the idea plugge plucked Vingo out of a fish factory. I mean that is a nice story. But not exactly a needle in the haystack situation

All this does is disprove the idea plugge plucked Vingo out of a fish factory. I mean that is a nice story. But not exactly a needle in the haystack situation
Impeccable scouting by Jumbo, though. They wanted to sign Julius Johansen, who is on the cusp of permanently getting the boot from the pro peloton, but ColoQuick, baffled by Jumbo's interest, recommended they should take a look at this guy named Vingegaard instead.

Reactions: scribers
Just looking back on his results, I wonder what went wrong in the Dauphine 2021, Vingegaard was getting spitroasted by Padun on Joux Plane, he couldn't even beat Konrad, a few weeks later he's one of the best climbers of all time.

Maybe they had a hypnotherapist at the pre-tour altitude camp, you know to help with his confidence.
Or maybe and in fact this is the reason, he had an injury in that race.

Or maybe and in fact this is the reason, he had an injury in that race.
Sounds more like it was before the race: https://www.teamvismaleaseabike.com...-seventh-in-time-trial-criterium-du-dauphine/

Vingegaard was surprised by his good time trial. He has just recovered from an injury to his achilles tendon. “I am very happy with my performance. I really didn’t expect to achieve this already after my injury. This year, I have done several good time trials, so I know I am able to do it. I am very happy that my shape is going crescendo and I expect that I can start the Tour de France in good shape.”

So O Gran Camino can't be pro series because there are already Burgos, Valencia, and Andalucia. Seems kinda dumb as it's quite a nice little race. Maybe they can move Burgos up to world tour as it's basically the biggest warm-up race for a Vuelta

Reactions: Fantastico
Just looking back on his results, I wonder what went wrong in the Dauphine 2021, Vingegaard was getting spitroasted by Padun on Joux Plane, he couldn't even beat Konrad, a few weeks later he's one of the best climbers of all time.

Maybe they had a hypnotherapist at the pre-tour altitude camp, you know to help with his confidence.
What are you trying to achieve with reactions like these? He's not allowed to have a bad race? Or, as in this case, to just return from injury and not be in top shape yet?

Reactions: Froome
They just spit conspiracies because they don't like the rider, instead of searching and trying to know more about the rider since he was young.
It's just so dumb, I know this forum is full of Jumbo/Vingegaard haters, but at least try a little harder. I mean, I could do a little PCS search and find some mediocre results by Pogacar, to show once and for all that he's a fake, but why would I do that? What would I prove?

Reactions: Froome