• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official 1 year ban

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Proof, as if you needed it, that Contador is stupid. He should have eaten humble pie and taken one year. Now he'll get the two he richly deserves.

Jamsque said:
Proof, as if you needed it, that Contador is stupid. He should have eaten humble pie and taken one year. Now he'll get the two he richly deserves.

Or it could be proof that he in fact believes in his innocence. Put it this way, if you were being penalized for something you felt you hadn't done, would you appeal or just eat humble pie?

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Contador got off light....The Spanish Federation is a joke...and the ban should be extended for 2 years like everyone else. The "tainted meat" defense is a clown act, and Alberto and his team are about to make a mockery out of cycling (like that's a surprise)

What you guys are leaving out is the fact that Contador and his handlers have been working on this presentation for weeks on end. Your reactions are exactly what they hoped for.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

He also would downgrade his marketability completely. He'll also get another year of close scrutiny which doesn't help him or his former teammates as they could get dragged into the appeal process either as witnesses or scapegoats. Oh wait, this is still about meat, isn't it?

Publicus said:
Or it could be proof that he in fact believes in his innocence. Put it this way, if you were being penalized for something you felt you hadn't done, would you appeal or just eat humble pie?

If, and that's a big if, he is innocent why doesn't he take this opportunity and let them compare his DNA to the blood bags find at Fuentes?

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Really, if he were guilty, he'd take the ban, complain about it being "unfair", and come back in a year. Why fight it, if he's guilty, since he'd be getting off with only a year ban.

If he is guilty and he appeals, he should get 10 years just for being stupid. But, he doesn't strike me as a stupid guy at all.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yeah, if I didn't know better I'd think he's totally innocent. I imagine he made quite an impression on the casual fans today.
I got the impression that he was saddened, disheartened, frustrated, and even angry. Which is how I would feel if had done the same thing as many of my competitors in 2010 but was the only one who was caught.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I got the impression that he was saddened, disheartened, frustrated, and even angry. Which is how I would feel if had done the same thing as many of my competitors in 2010 but was the only one who was caught.

+1

I guess Hrotha is right, he made an impression on the casual fans.
AC seems to have studied Lance's denials/pressconferences from the early days well.
I remember myself once believing in Lance, on the basis of his convincing denials.

Walkman said:
If, and that's a big if, he is innocent why doesn't he take this opportunity and let them compare his DNA to the blood bags find at Fuentes?

Why doesn't every professional cyclists? More to the point, has the UCI, WADA or any other body asked him to provide that sample (in connection with these allegations) and he refused?

And just to keep it on track, my comment wasn't an attempt to say he is innocent or to champion his cause. I just took issue with the notion that he is stupid for appealing the decision. If he believes he's innocent, I would expect nothing less than an appeal. As everyone has noted, he's at risk for an even greater sanction and I'm sure his lawyers have apprised him of that fact.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Really, if he were guilty, he'd take the ban, complain about it being "unfair", and come back in a year. Why fight it, if he's guilty, since he'd be getting off with only a year ban.

If he is guilty and he appeals, he should get 10 years just for being stupid. But, he doesn't strike me as a stupid guy at all.

He has nothing to lose. A one year ban back dating from 24th august is the same as a 2 year ban. Not appealing would be a declaration of him being a doper. WADA would have appealed anyway, he just takes the initiative now. Now he can keep up the "I'm really innocent" act for the media.

He's not stupid hence he appealed before WADA could appeal.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

The one way I can see an appeal making sense is simply if Contador has decided that he will never do anything that even suggests a doping confession. He's still young enough, and he might think an extra year out would be worth always being able to say that he has vigorously contested all doping accusations levied against him.

Many will likely believe this defense over time, so long as Contador voices it with perfect consistency and conviction, and so long as he never tests positive for anything again.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Spaniard states, "I have never doped."

Have you ever noticed that it's really hard to type when you're laughing? Hang on a sec . . .

OK, that's better. Maybe he hopes that by protesting his innocence and appealing the one year ban, he can somehow preempt the two year ban that is likely coming. :D And even though I'm laughing again, I am seriously suggesting this as a possible motivation. As a strategy it's not much, but it's all he's got.

Publicus said:
Why doesn't every professional cyclists? More to the point, has the UCI, WADA or any other body asked him to provide that sample (in connection with these allegations) and he refused?

Yes, I think they should but they don't have anything to gain so I understand if the don't. But Contador har EVERYTHING to gain. I mean, almost every cycling fan know about AC's refuse to compare his DNA too the Fuentes blood bags. So therefore he will always be seen as a "doper". Now when he is fighting to prove his innocence it would be the prefect time to do this.

"I have never doped," he said. "I think I am an example of cleanliness. I believed in the test system, not now. I do not believe in the system. I know what I'm exposed to and that's why I never doped."

It would be the perfect thing to do because then he actually could back up these statments. People would see him as a clean cyclist fighting for a just cause, not as a doper trying to lie his way out of all of this.

Is there anyone who know if there has been any talk about these blood bags during his trial?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know there is that although the letters AC appeared in a couple of places in Fuentes documents, there weren't any bloodbags with the letters AC. Don't forget, not everyone visiting Fuentes stored blood, he provided different doping programs for different athletes.

Lanark said:
As far as I know there is that although the letters AC appeared in a couple of places in Fuentes documents, there weren't any bloodbags with the letters AC. Don't forget, not everyone visiting Fuentes stored blood, he provided different doping programs for different athletes.

:confused:

Am I totally in the dark on this one, but I thought this was elementary cyclingfan knowledge...?

TRENDING THREADS