• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I wouldn't go that far. Walsh is a good reporter, but not that good a writer.

To win the 2012 British Journalism Awards in sports and overall I would consider you would have to be a good writing communicator.

Sunday Times chief sports writer David Walsh claimed a double win at the first British Journalism Awards (BJA) tonight, picking up both the Sports Journalist of the Year and Journalist of the Year prizes.

But David Walsh has always been the dogged nemesis to Lance Armstrong who you strongly supported until recently.

MarkvW said:
I wouldn't go that far. Walsh is a good reporter, but not that good a writer.

Indeed, going by that article I'm not sure I'd want to read an entire book written in that style, it doesn't really flow. Still, that's a detail in the grand scheme of things and he can only be commended for playing a significant role in getting dopestrong taken down...Sestrières indeed, but the prologue already had me very very surprised, not to mention the previous Vuelta.

Just finished Walsh's book. Even though its his third book on Lance it is still enthralling and brilliantly written. You have to admire Walsh's courage and persistence, even when he was being vilified and cast as the bad guy. It's LA's lack of a conscience and remorse that sticks in the throat now more than the actual cheating itself.

In the unlikely event that he ever made a full and total confession I could find myself having sympathy with him, but its this lack of a human side and the hard edge that makes him easy to dislike.

ontheroad said:
.. It's LA's lack of a conscience and remorse that sticks in the throat now more than the actual cheating itself.

Which makes him the perfect candidate for running the UCI. Pro Cycling's terrorist leader Hein Verdruggen must have him in mind for the succession, sometime after Pat's ascendency and eventual departure of course.

ontheroad said:
In the unlikely event that he ever made a full and total confession I could find myself having sympathy with him

That would be energy wasted on Wonderboy.

Anyone have a link for the Wonderboy documents that are supposed to go public yet?

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Among the materials requested:

• Training journals and medical records, including hematocrit and hormone levels

Those would be damning. It would be funny to hear Armstrong explain how he went from racing with a hematocrit of 55% in 1995 to 50% in 1999 to 43% in 2009.

By the looks of it the lawyers are doing everything in their power to stop anything going public....and it doesnt look like they will succeed.Will make great reading.

Not the actions of an innocent man......still he always has chris horner as a shoulder to cry on.

Alexi Grewal's blog;

None of the recent news about Lance is really new. He did not invent the system, no not at all. In my first Professional season my team Director Peter Post made a point of bringing me to the start of one of Cycling,s most famous races (a race I was not scheduled to race) to lecture me on the importance of “doing what the team Doctor told me to do” i.e. taking what the team Doctor told me to, without asking questions, Peter made a point of giving me this lecture in the main hotel lobby where many of the big teams and most of the UCI officials and media were also staying. He had little or no concern that our conversation was private. No one ever tested positive while on a Panasonic Team. Very impressive all things considered.

But today our Dark Knight is Lance Armstrong, whom I have no hate for, in fact a sort of respect for. Of course the evidence is conclusive, but WE and I mean WE which means everyone who knows cycling has known that of course Lance did it better and more persuasively than anyone else. He perfected they system, and in all likelihood never thought himself anything other than the protector of cycling’s history, myths and Legends, his own version of a Batman.

The conclusions he reached were the same as mine, that is was impossible win at the highest professional level consistently without doping. It is an opinion that no one yet has convinced me different of. Though many are now trying, the fact is they all have been part of the system, either in actually using PEDS or turning a blind eye to them or worse.

By now even the non -cyclist has heard of Lance’s fall from grace, and maybe even a fall from power, and that perhaps is the redeeming factor in all of this, it took the highest to fall to shed light on a practice that includes all, low and high.

Sports that benefit from PEDS more than any others are sports that involve the melding of the mechanical and the human body. The bicycle is the epitome of that relationship, man and machine becoming one. The machine cannot develop beyond pedals, wheels, direct transmission of power through a crankset and chain, it is all in the motor, and that is the man.

So let it go at that.

http://www.alexigrewal.biz/1/post/2012/12/the-dark-knight-fallen.html

DirtyWorks said:
Which makes him the perfect candidate for running the UCI. Pro Cycling's terrorist leader Hein Verdruggen must have him in mind for the succession, sometime after Pat's ascendency and eventual departure of course.

That would be energy wasted on Wonderboy.

Anyone have a link for the Wonderboy documents that are supposed to go public yet?

This is definitely my line of thought about him.

At least more folks are being enlightened on how different he is from the rest of the doping peloton and why he has been set apart. He is on a level of evil and sickness all of his own.
Nice to see the awareness of this spreading.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
It's official, Sally Jenkins is BPC: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...8061-253bccfc7532_allComments.html?ctab=all_&

I cannot express my true feelings on this particular piece of fish wrap here because the word filters will not allow it. Fortunately, Twitter has no such filter.

She is still part of the dwindling group of people that have more to lose than gain by sticking to the talking points. She also breast-feeds Chris Horner. In the subway. Proudly.

20121215.gif
[/URL]

just saw this comic right after i read the Washington post article that made me feel a little bit ill... needed some cheering up and this made my day!

my opinion of him was never based on what he did in a bike race in France 10 years ago

Right. If he never won all those Tours, dishonestly, you still would have written two books with/about him, and still would have spent enough time with him to see all those unique characteristics that you like about him. If he had never won those Tours, but had been a minor figure in a sport unknown to the vast majority of Americans, you still would have written umpteen columns about him, because you just like him in a way you never liked the millions of other nobodies that you could just as well have written about.

he was like all the other cyclists who sought a medical advantage in riding up the faces of mountains

Just a better natural talent who didn’t dope any more than anyone else, and who didn’t threaten people who could have revealed his doping any more than anyone else.

I’ve long believed that what athletes put in their bodies should be a matter of personal conscience, not police actions — when we demand unhealthy, even death-defying extremes of them for our entertainment, it seems the height of hypocrisy to then dictate what’s good for them.

And of course, you have been writing columns for years advocating making doping permissible, because of this belief of yours. You wrote a column saying Marion Jones was being persecuted, that Bonds and Clemens did nothing wrong. You are fine with doping in amateur biking ranks, with kids who are barely teen-agers taking these substances.

I suspect that he understood what the price of it would be

Why would the price of confession be so high if he was just like all the other dopers, who did confess?

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
It's official, Sally Jenkins is BPC: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...8061-253bccfc7532_allComments.html?ctab=all_&

I cannot express my true feelings on this particular piece of fish wrap here because the word filters will not allow it. Fortunately, Twitter has no such filter.

Now that she's posted that particular piece of nauseating, self justifying BS time for her to get her pink slip.

The paper can capitalise in the short term for the scrutiny she is under but going forward she has no credibility.

I'm sure there are many more deserving candidates out there struggling in the recession, it's best if Sally takes a pay cut and finds a job at an Internet blog site.

I admit to not following these latest events more closely, so I need clarification.

Armstrong and his lawyers are trying to keep certain records out of the public domain. What documents are these? Is this from a new lawsuit?

If so, who is going after him now?

Does this have anything to do with the Qui Tam case of Landis, the Federal investigation that was shut down or is it something totally different?

TRENDING THREADS