• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr_Lexus

BANNED
May 1, 2012
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Gosh, what a calamity. Does this mean LA still is the rightful winner of the bronze medal over all the other victims in the race, other than Eki and JU, who narrowly escaped the bullying psychotic LA mind tricks while ****ing pure spring water under the watchful eye of the IOC?

We must not rest until all justice has been done; in this case the little snowflake Abraham Olano was denied bronze glory.

Yes the IOC! Them. Those guys who take bribes from bidding cities want lances medal!

Lance has better things to so than deal with this guys.

Put it in a FedEx envelope and post it to Qatar!

ChrisE said:
Gosh, what a calamity. Does this mean LA still is the rightful winner of the bronze medal over all the other victims in the race, other than Eki and JU, who narrowly escaped the bullying psychotic LA mind tricks while ****ing pure spring water under the watchful eye of the IOC?

We must not rest until all justice has been done; in this case the little snowflake Abraham Olano was denied bronze glory.

errrmmmmm.....
“We declared his result null and void and decided not to bump up anyone into the bronze medal position [Spaniard Abraham Olano finished fourth],” said Bach

BroDeal said:
If I were Armstrong I would not send in the medal. The IOC is totally corrupt. They know everyone is doping. They want it that way so records will be beaten.

He should have them pay postage..lol. Anyhow, what if he misplaced the precious medal, or it was stolen, or whatever. This is just a silly IOC formality.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I heard that they were planning on renaming it the Betsy Beltway - but they dont have enough money to widen it.

:D

Betsy Andreu is classy through and through. I've had some exchanges with her over the past few years, and every interaction indicates that she's a good person. She may be more responsible for the revealing of cycling's secrets than many know (or acknowledge) through her dogged pursuit of revealing the truth.

Race Radio said:
Live stream for Press Conference for Armstrong lie
http://live.tiff.net/Event/The_Armstrong_Lie_Press_Conference_-_September_9_2013

Started a few minutes ago.

Gibney, Strickland, Betsy, JV

Were you there??? Damn, if I missed you.

The audience was very (!) cycling knowledgeable.

Thoughts:

Kudos to JV for being there (isn't there a big race somewhere in the world right now?).

Kudos also to JV for responding to the first remark/compliment from the audience on who holds the real record on Ventoux. He didn't completely deny it, but he certainly suggested that his performance was deserving of doubt.

Finally, Kudos also to JV for remembering me (D-Queued). Now he knows what I look like, though. He even remembered where I live, and was confused about what I was doing in Toronto. So much for Internet anonymity.

Race Radio said:

--- WARNING SPOILERS (and comments) AHEAD ---

This was (for me) one of the surprises of the film.

Gibney came right out and stated that Lance had paid ($100,000) for the Vrijman report, and directly implicated Verbruggen and McQuaid as well.

Not sure what relevance it may have, but Vrijman is one weird looking dude.

The film itself is a good story, and employs good storytelling. It builds up the 2009 Tour story much more than expected, to a point where I was wondering if it was a a fan vehicle, before letting the air out of the tires.

As noted above (I think by RR among others), the film could have gone further. My first thought was that even though it was very up-to-date, there was certainly room for a sequel and the unfolding events may provide more than enough material for that.

At one point someone, I think Lance, noted that nobody will be happy with his admission and/or of the truth.

He said something to the effect that. the critics won't think it went far enough and the fans will think it went too far. This may have been the film summary that Gibney was catering to.

For those who had doubted the story long before the 2009 Tour, they will likely react with some degree of horror that the 2009 performance is portrayed as promoting the pyrrhic return, even though it does expose and underscore the script that Lance was desperate to write.

Hopefully they will be satisfied with how Gibney, himself, deals with this.

One part of the movie that I found interesting was the camera shots during the Oprah interviews.

The Armstrong Lie includes the Oprah interview with many shots past Oprah to Lance. There are at least a half dozen moments where Oprah uncomfortably adjusts her dress. One of the biggest moments during the Oprah interview was the failed 'I didn't call her fat' joke that revealed Lance's callousness. Neither this, comment about it nor Oprah's reaction were included in the Documentary.

Yet, if you knew the backstory, Oprah's clear physical discomfort during the interview certainly reminded you of it.

Along with the clips from the Oprah interviews, there were many, many clips from other coverage. So much so that it was hard not to wonder about what it cost to obtain the rights to all of this coverage.

In the Q+A, Betsy, to her credit, and her self-consistency, did not pull punches. She did bring up the Bronze medal - before I had read the various stories about it - and was very pointed about the cancer shield. Much moreso than the documentary was, with many emotionally appealing shots of Lance with child cancer victims.

Nobody is a simple black-and-white character, of course, but the documentary was light on critiquing cancer jesus, even where it outlined Lance's proclivity to leverage multiple agendas in other situations.

In the Q+A, Betsy was also quite open about recent dialog she had with Armstrong and how she had proposed what appeared to be reasonable and readily agreeable terms for laying down the hatchet.

Though he has made a habit of baring his teeth, Lance did not bite on the offer and was a no-show for the prearranged meeting in Austin as we all know.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Were you there??? Damn, if I missed you.

Didn't make it. Had flights booked but had to drop out as I am heading back to Europe Sunday. Been traveling too much

$100,000 to fund the report and then having lance's lawyers write it some funny stuff. The endless nonsense from the groupies on that report was pure comedy.

....but everyone should have known

Race Radio said:
Didn't make it. Had flights booked but had to drop out as I am heading back to Europe Sunday. Been traveling too much

$100,000 to fund the report and then having lance's lawyers write it some funny stuff. The endless nonsense from the groupies on that report was pure comedy.

....but everyone should have known

I didn't. But, you are right, I should have.

Which underscores how those frequently cited as haters (e.g. me) were still naive enough to believe that Vrijman wrote it without direct input - albeit with clear direction.

Apparently even I was still willing to extend the benefit of doubt in a scenario that had completely removed the possibility of it.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
I didn't. But, you are right, I should have.

Which underscores how those frequently cited as haters (e.g. me) were still naive enough to believe that Vrijman wrote it without direct input - albeit with clear direction.

Apparently even I was still willing to extend the benefit of doubt in a scenario that had completely removed the possibility of it.

Dave.

I always assumed Vrijman simply wrote the report to support the conclusions he had been told to make by McQuaid/Verbruggen. Armstrong's lawyers actually writing and revising the report is certainly a cheeky bit of corruption I was not expecting.