• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
The main reason to forgive is so you can let it go, and move past the problem. Takes time. Only Lemond can say when it's time I think.

You must be joking. Total annihilation followed by the lamentation of their women and the wailing of their children is the most satisfying way to deal with your enemies. "Forgiving" and "moving on" is for xxxx.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
He probably hired a personal trainer like most actors do. I'd say he also did some riding so he wouldn't look like a total muppet when he had to be filmed on the bike.

Most actors, especially in comic book films are on a heavy steroid cycle and/or growth hormone, it takes more than just a personal trainer to achieve the kind of body transformations that are common in Hollywood these days.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i am a little puzzled by the clinic preachers of forgiveness on behalf of greg ?? have any of you, 'god's children', been in his shoes ?

greg is the one person who was the target of not just the smear campaign (i would understand the piety if this was the single reason), but a multi-year, focused assault on his livelihood, character, family, integrity, business, and what not.

it was one of texas' biggest and most arrogant miscalculations that he misjudged greg's character when he tried to intimidate him...some people push back when threatened and greg is most certainly a notch above it - a fearless, relentless fighter for his name and (opinion may vary) for the sport's integrity.

while i have several thoughts on greg and his fight for the sport, i am absolutely supportive categorical stance on armstrong, his every word and every letter in those words.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
DanielsDad said:
What was he taking to get that cut?

He was on his bike, busting his a$$ for 6 hours a day. What are you on?

Helpful hint: Since you approve of the reverence your child/ren have for a doping cheat, I'd suggest you ask that last question regularly to them. You're welcome for the advice.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
DanielsDad said:
So lying about PEDs should carry a bigger penalty than lying about having sex with an intern?

em...yes. Why wouldn't it?

1. Defraud your competitiors of prizemoney and sponsorship opportunities, corrupt the basic ethic of your sport to the point the sports all but ruined for a generation, bully and treaten people to keep your secret, and then lie about the whole thing on oath.

2. Get your rocks off with a willing accomplice, ruin one dress and **** off your wife, and then lie about the whole thing on oath.

Identical I tell you.

42x16ss said:
He probably hired a personal trainer like most actors do. I'd say he also did some riding so he wouldn't look like a total muppet when he had to be filmed on the bike.

Sylvester Stallone Admits Using Human Growth Hormone

This extract is priceless:

So right there we have a great example of the horrible side effects of these performance-enhancing drugs; HGH and testosterone have allowed the 61-year-old Stallone to make more of these movies.

Arnold Schwarzenegger admitting to steroid use

Big Hollywood: Steroids find their role in entertainment industry

Oh, and answering a question about why a female singer may not have frowned upon doping in cycling?

Singers and Steroids: “The Magic Pill”

Just saying...

Dave.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:

Nah, this was definitely a case where method acting was appropriate.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
go crazy said:
Well this is a cycling forum, full of fanboys and obsessed haters. Lance Armstrong is basically the devil to a lot of folks, even though it really boils down to a guy lying about cheating in a cheaters sport, and making a few people butthurt ("destroying" people's lives...LOL!).

By **** hurt do you mean blackballing his bike mechanic when he finds your dope, threatening a former masseuse of postal with a 1 million+ lawsuit to keep her quiet, getting Trek to discontinue its successful Lemond cycles line and force an apology by Greg, witness intimidation of Hamilton, stealing money from cancer victims by using Livestrong.com to make him rich, lying to the public about supporting cancer research, and using sympathy for cancer victims to hide doping for personal profit.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Loving the frontpage reactions on the LeMond interview by the way, that Terminator, does anyone know if he does stand up comedy? Can he be hired? He is amazing.

Who was the teammate who was offred 300K? Any ideas? Madouas?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DanielsDad said:
I think Lance may have done kids a favor. Why would we want out kids living in the fantasy? It was good for the 2nd grade.
ezn7sm.jpg

Now kids want a college degree. I'm not upset about that. And they cycle because they love it. And I'm not upset about that.

Each professional rider had their own choice to make and it appears to me, most the very top chose to use drugs to win. That is not something I blame Lance for.

On Lance being a criminal/jail. I don't care so much. He should be prosecuted in-line with what others that do the same are.

I assume that foto is from the University of Ferrara - good school.

It is good that kids now want a college degree - there is as much money and less risk if you are a doping Doctor.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Who was the teammate who was offred 300K? Any ideas? Madouas?

Vincent Barteau. Teammates on Renault in early 80s but riding for System U with Fignon by 89, so it's hard to see how poor Vincent Could have seen anything.

Typical LA MO: find someone in a compromised position (Vincent hit tough times and needed money) and get him to do some dirtywork. Also used by the Mafia.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Had never heard of the Barteau story, did it just come out? Did he actually take the money?

Been around for more than a decade, following the difficult call between Lemond and LA in 2001 when the latter said he'd destroy the former and "find ten guys who'll say they witnessed you taking EPO." To his credit, Barteau turned Armstrong down. I think one other ex-teammate was approached as well, who also turned down the offer.

It all arose from Lemond's "greatest comeback or greatest fraud" quote after he found out Lance was working with Ferrari. Typical Lance over-reaction that came back to bite him in the a$$.

DanielsDad

BANNED
Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
martinvickers said:

Identical I tell you.
Which is why I see about the same punishment.

Generally the list of accusations (that I believe are true) include many things that people normally don't go to jail for - legal or not. While I wouldn't be in shock if Lance ended up in jail, I don't think it likely. I do expect the topic to be forum fodder for the next few years and also Lance to get similar treatment to OJ (he better not be caught stealing back his memorabilia) if he does try anything, but other than something big being reviled by others, Lemond's "deserves jail" is wishful thinking. Maybe the movie will change that.

DanielsDad said:
Which is why I see about the same punishment.

Generally the list of accusations (that I believe are true) include many things that people normally don't go to jail for - legal or not. While I wouldn't be in shock if Lance ended up in jail, I don't think it likely. I do expect the topic to be forum fodder for the next few years and also Lance to get similar treatment to OJ (he better not be caught stealing back his memorabilia) if he does try anything, but other than something big being reviled by others, Lemond's "deserves jail" is wishful thinking. Maybe the movie will change that.
So you don't believe it's true that Pharmstrong was engaged in drug smuggling, unlawful possession of pharmaceuticals, distributing pharmaceuticals without a prescription, practicing medicine without a license, or conspiring to commit all the above? Kinda hard -- as in IMPOSSIBLE -- to run a decade-long successful international PEDs program without any one of those.

Not to mention Pharmstrong confessed on Oprah that he had perjured himself when he denied doping under oath, and eye-witnesses to the incidents have stated in the press they had testified under oath that Lance personally suborned perjury and engaged in witness tampering.

StyrbjornSterki said:
So you don't believe it's true that Pharmstrong was engaged in drug smuggling, unlawful possession of pharmaceuticals, distributing pharmaceuticals without a prescription, practicing medicine without a license, or conspiring to commit all the above? Kinda hard -- as in IMPOSSIBLE -- to run a decade-long successful international PEDs program without any one of those.

Not to mention Pharmstrong confessed on Oprah that he had perjured himself when he denied doping under oath, and eye-witnesses to the incidents have stated in the press they had testified under oath that Lance personally suborned perjury and engaged in witness tampering.

Isn't that just the kind of stuff that professional bike racers do?

DanielsDad

BANNED
Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:

I think that if all those things are true (and seems they are) it is not something (being athletes using PEDS and the behavior surrounding them) that will land him in jail.

I'm not arguing guilt. Maybe he committed USA felonies - but a trial and conviction is needed first.

Suggesting it will land Lance in JAIL is a stretch that colours Lemond more than Lance (already coloured).

For Lance:
-"under oath" - divorce is breaking an oath. Prison is not likely for lying under oath outside in a criminal trial (and he would plead the 5th I would guess), and may not be then.
-Too much time passed - lots of issues here.
-The PED use sounds inline with professional and Olympic athletes that benefit($$$) from PEDs. "distributing pharmaceuticals without a prescription" may not be a typical thing athletes or trainers are imprisoned for and I really don't know what is legal where, but I do know some items banned in cycling are perfectly legal in some jurisdictions.
It is complicated to convict on that for athletes, don't you think? Or California's ex governor and several Hollywood folks would be in jail too.
-He is not a good person and tried to ruin peoples lives. I do not think that is a crime. Only in Seinfeld have we seen prison time for that.

These are separate things that get all mixed up in so many posts.
Example - Diego Maradona cheated and used his hand to score a goal and win against England and then win the WC. He cheated, changed the outcome of the WC lied about it for years. The impact was as significant as Lance's cheating. What he didn't do was the personal attacks Lance did.

The only thing I would like (I'm sure there are post on this - but I have not seen them) is to separate sports awards from felonies/crimes. Once awards are won without official protests - they should be kept. Just like the World Cup was won by Argentina...from admitted cheating.

If the person is a criminal, try them in court and if guilty, put them in jail.