• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 433 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Race Radio said:
I doubt that kind of info would result in much reduction if he goes that route, although it would be entertaining.

For it to be of any value he would have to talk about current actions by staff and riders who are still working in the sport. It would do nothing if he says "I saw George transfuse". Verburggen/McQuaid stuff could be interesting. Weisel as well.

Ultimately USADA holds the cards. He cannot get a reduction unless they approve.

As a gesture of good faith, it would appear that Armstrong has put his attempts to destroy USADA on hold. Will this be enough to lead to a reduced ban?

In any case, how pathetic is it that a washed-up doper party addict actually wants to return to "competition". Get a life.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
As a gesture of good faith, it would appear that Armstrong has put his attempts to destroy USADA on hold. Will this be enough to lead to a reduced ban?

In any case, how pathetic is it that a washed-up doper party addict actually wants to return to "competition". Get a life.

At this point I don't see it, but that could change

Both Lance and the UCI have been clear that no deal has been made. In recent weeks Cookson and Tygart have said several times that something might be possible. Perhaps that is why he is coming in a second time? The first time around he likely did not give enough to warrant a deal

One thing for sure, Lance is done being what he considers the "Fall guy" He is going to start tossing people under the bus. The "No Snitches" phase is over

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Wow! Really? That would be awesome.

Does it matter? Horner struggles to get a contract, which is kind of amazing considering how dominating he was at the Vuelta. He is so on everyone's radar that not a single team believes he can repeat the performance or wants to deal with the possible fallout. Consider the low bar some teams have like Astana, they don't even want him. Even as a bottle carrier.

MonkeyFace said:
Does it matter? Horner struggles to get a contract, which is kind of amazing considering how dominating he was at the Vuelta. He is so on everyone's radar that not a single team believes he can repeat the performance or wants to deal with the possible fallout. Consider the low bar some teams have like Astana, they don't even want him. Even as a bottle carrier.

We know the UCI has direct influence on who does/does not ride on the WT. I recall JV mentioning ASO having the same privilege in the JV thread.

One such case was Francisco Mancebo. The guy was busted out of the WT and just dominated U.S. racing, clearly having the power to be a WT rider.

frenchfry said:

Hey, at least he had the courtesy of asking the organizer of the non-USADA event this time! That's progress... and healthy dose of desperation to re-establish being a legend in his own mind.

TBH, if I was the promoter I'd have to think long and hard about it... and then not allow him to enter.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
MonkeyFace said:

Yes.. He shares some resemblance with Rasmussen in that way..
The ban of latter beeing the big difference though..

I wonder if teams are "unofficially" warned to take him in..
Or that they actually use common sense..

Edit: Sorry.. Armstrong thread..

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
JV posted the UCI and ASO is involved in rider selection for his team. I'm not surprised it would be the same elsewhere.

I guess some characters inevitably becomes "persona non grata" when they succeed... How Lance managed to escape that stamp (for so many years) is probably mostly about money..

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Digger said:
not one thing - and travis' interview today is more evidence of this.

Would you rather f**kers like Bruyneel were still in the sport lording it over everyone?

I for one am glad these arrogant MFs got their comeuppance. I await the rest.

But to portray guys like Bruyneel as hard done by is not on. F**K them. They cheated and got caught.

Tygart does have loads of questions over him, but stop making Armstrong and Bruyneel look like they were hard done by. F**k them.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Would you rather f**kers like Bruyneel were still in the sport lording it over everyone?

I for one am glad these arrogant MFs got their comeuppance. I await the rest.

But to portray guys like Bruyneel as hard done by is not on. F**K them. They cheated and got caught.

Tygart does have loads of questions over him, but stop making Armstrong and Bruyneel look like they were hard done by. F**k them.

It is true that the sport is better off without Bruyneel and Lance. There are others as well that the sport would be better off without.

Tough for some to understand why the only fish to fry was Lance. Maybe the humanmanrod was not interested in the sport only to go after the biggest name. I can understand that if that was his only goal to better himself.

I'm not sure that is or was his goal but some do.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
It is true that the sport is better off without Bruyneel and Lance. There are others as well that the sport would be better off without.

Tough for some to understand why the only fish to fry was Lance. Maybe the humanmanrod was not interested in the sport only to go after the biggest name. I can understand that if that was his only goal to better himself.

Armstrong was not the only fish fried! There were 5 fried.

Lots and lots in the sport should be gone as well. Lots hoped Cookson was the man to make a change:rolleyes:

Have a pop a Landis, but Armstrong brought the roof down on himself.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
He has told friends he has dirt on Horner. Meh.....I would be more interested to hear about Contador. I can't think of any other current top riders he might have something on.

I would think that Horner also has dirt on Lance, specifically Lance 2.0, which I have to imagine would prove to be much more damaging.

Lance telling the world that Horner doped would be met with an obvious yawn (and Horner has been very loyal to Lance, so why would he go there?).

But Horner dishing dirt on Lance during the comeback...now that would be entertaining. :)

Glenn_Wilson said:

This isn't really about Tygart. Tygart had a gold-plated opportunity dropped on his desk by Floyd, and then Novitsky. He couldn't ethically ignore it. And Lance got the max sanction after not contesting the proceedings at all.

This hate on Tygart is just another flavor of the hate heaped on Novitsky, but with much less justification.

DirtyWorks said:
No, there isn't. The system is set up so the anti-doping authority (many times the UCI) is THE authority.

No, it's not. The anti-doping authority has the power to open cases, or not. There are no consequences for not opening cases. There are no metrics reported how many positives have not resulted in cases for the ABP.

There are metrics for non-sanctioned urine tests. The UCI did not process at least 90 event positives last year. Apparently all TUE's. Funny how so many podiums end up having TUE's.

this may hark back to python's comments about only being able to conceal a small number of tests, but why is it that we never hear some lab tech or UCI lackeys' account of test results or cover ups?
I find it hard to believe that over all this time, no one's ever piped up from those areas.
Never once have we heard "oh yeah, Hein n Pat asked me to not open cases for this rider or that rider all the time"...