• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Oprah: "You sued Emma O'Riley"

Lance: "I have to be honest with you Oprah, when we ran over her, I didn't even feel it. But if you say we sued her, I'll take your word for it."
Oprah never asked any follow ups, never said Lance, I do not believe you, this is just not credible.

US media as stenographers.

Soon they will have the algorithms do this for the Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_(TV_series)

Computer algorithms doing our jobs.

Narrative Science's cofounder, Kristian Hammond, believes that in 15 years "more than 90 percent" of news stories will be computer-generated.

Narrative Science is already working on a way to suck out the data from Twitter and produce news.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Oprah: "You sued Emma O'Riley"

Lance: "I have to be honest with you Oprah, when we ran over her, I didn't even feel it. But if you say we sued her, I'll take your word for it."

Lol but from a PR standpoint his real answer wasn't much better "to be honest we sued so many people I can't even remember"

Who is going to feel for that guy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
Was he talented, though? I'm not convinced he wasn't doping when won his WC and prior to that. Wasn't on the same schemes as in 99-2010 but really?.. Clean?..

And he wasn't particularly talented in either TT and climbing before the cancer period. Phil Anderson quotes this as well.

He'd won f'ck all in my view.
dont go quoting Phil Anderson. I have seen this horse face more over the past days picking up a fee lying to the public.

he knows. he was with him at Motorola. Phil doped like them all, and he knows Lance was a hardcore doper, even before Motorola.

funnies tho, the revisionist and oscillating between the smirk interview during the Tour with Guinness about 4 years ago and the nod and wink to those who knew what he meant when he said Lance could not climb and timetrial with him and he did not forsee that career, then about two months ago he said they pursued Lance and he was a scapegoat and singled out, now he comes out with the anti-doping apologia.

Even funnier was Pat Jonker, that guy hes a friggen indjit. he cant put two words together that make sense without using the wrong word, think he grew up ESL and speaking native Flemish in the Adelaide Hills. Get farked Jonker.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
shades1 said:
please dont attack me for the question as i am as disgusted as everybody else with LA now he has finally owned up .

but he was clearly hugely talented on a bike , would it have been absolutely impossible for him to have won without doping ?

You haven't read the long history of competition and performance by Lance. He wasn't a GT rider, ever. He won US based stage races by Owning the best team, buying the occasional win from a competing team; all doped. From Motorola to his last European race he was systematically doping. He may cleaned up his program for his last Tour of California.
His confession that includes being clean from '05 on is clearly setting up his defense against fraud and trafficking charges. Lying to Oprah doesn't change the facts.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Oprah never asked any follow ups, never said Lance, I do not believe you, this is just not credible.

US media as stenographers.

Soon they will have the algorithms do this for the Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_(TV_series)

Computer algorithms doing our jobs.

Narrative Science's cofounder, Kristian Hammond, believes that in 15 years "more than 90 percent" of news stories will be computer-generated.

Narrative Science is already working on a way to suck out the data from Twitter and produce news.

Americans have been involved to clean this house so your assessment is useless. Have been checking into Rupert Murdoch's Fox coverage on TV and digital....precious little about Lance. Perhaps Fox staff loathes Oprah and CNN so much they can't report it either.

Oldman said:
Americans have been involved to clean this house so your assessment is useless. Have been checking into Rupert Murdoch's Fox coverage on TV and digital....precious little about Lance. Perhaps Fox staff loathes Oprah and CNN so much they can't report it either.

Murdoch is going after Lance for $$$.

Oldman said:

A rules-making organization that simulates a public organization actually successfully enforcing some rules is a direct threat to the Fox theme of weak/ineffectual regulatory agencies. They won't cover it.

Benotti69 said:
No one can say how talented he was, he was doping since he was a teenage triathlete!

He started his cyling career doping with Carmichael.

He may have won some small semi classics and got lucky and won a classic.

We will never know. He was never interested in proving just how naturally talented he was and I think that says a lot about him and his natural talent.

Agreed. But armstrong is not alone, we will never know how talented the vast majority of riders born after about 1975 were.

As easy as it is to beat up on armstrong, how can natural talent levels be extrapolated from racing against a doped peloton? The only riders I feel confident saying were overflowing with natural talent are Moncoutie & Bassons. And many will debate that. It's like Barnum & Bailey bought out pro cycling in the 90's. It just seems so useless to have any kind of debate about it as it's been made extremely clear what a farce it is.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
A rules-making organization that simulates a public organization actually successfully enforcing some rules is a direct threat to the Fox theme of weak/ineffectual regulatory agencies. They won't cover it.

I knew there must be some quasi-philosophical reason. That and as noted above; they're suing Lance. Although what "news organizations" like Murdoch's empire make on muck-raking far exceeds what he could recover in a lawsuit...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fatclimber said:
Agreed. But armstrong is not alone, we will never know how talented the vast majority of riders born after about 1975 were.

As easy as it is to beat up on armstrong, how can natural talent levels be extrapolated from racing against a doped peloton? The only riders I feel confident saying were overflowing with natural talent are Moncoutie & Bassons. And many will debate that. It's like Barnum & Bailey bought out pro cycling in the 90's. It just seems so useless to have any kind of debate about it as it's been made extremely clear what a farce it is.

Is is useless to try to extrapolate winners but very useful to remind folks that clean riders did, in fact beat Lance during his career. It's also very important to remember many of those riders quit the sport rather than go down the rathole with the rest of peloton.
I'm still holding out that the public could become fascinated with the uncertainties of clean racing; where actual fatigue impacts the teams as well as the strongest riders. Seeing Team Sky do the Disco train was completely boring. Cadel's win the year before had a large share of drama by comparison. In a strange way this could be one of the best for watching exciting racing because riders will crack and new winners emerge.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Please don't link to articles by that smarmy little scumbag. Katie Couric interviewed him this week about doping in cycling. He had the nerve to give her a Bike Pure wristband. He then went on to say something to the effect of "EPO didn't pedal the bike for Lance."

The only time you should ever consult Joe Papp on is if you have a question about what it's like to me an ethically devoid bag of monkey dung.

Hey, what happened to that? Have you been approached by CN's crack team of lawyers to get your side of the story?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Elagabalus said:
Hey, what happened to that? Have you been approached by CN's crack team of lawyers to get your side of the story?

They can't fix the fact that I was an idiot for giving him my personal information.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
me too. I thought he wanted support for his anti-doping for the criminal sentence. I hope I was not sold down the river. well, if you play with fire, I suppose I could be getting a comeuppance too

ChewbaccaD said:
Please don't link to articles by that smarmy little scumbag. Katie Couric interviewed him this week about doping in cycling. He had the nerve to give her a Bike Pure wristband. He then went on to say something to the effect of "EPO didn't pedal the bike for Lance."

The only time you should ever consult Joe Papp on is if you have a question about what it's like to me an ethically devoid bag of monkey dung.

Lance Armstrong's reputation has plummeted into the abyss. Joe Papp dreams of elevating his reputation to that level.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
funnies tho, the revisionist and oscillating between the smirk interview during the Tour with Guinness about 4 years ago and the nod and wink to those who knew what he meant when he said Lance could not climb and timetrial with him and he did not forsee that career,

Yes I remember that interview well, normally don't pay much attention to their rambling but that really made me sit up. Unfortunately lapsed back into omerta mode soon after.

Angry again.....Danged that idiot LA

2013 Philadelphia International Cycling Championship Cancelled

Sponsors pulled out...no comment that it was because of Armstrong Affair but a 28 year old; best 1 day race in the USA losing sponsor 2 days after LA admits sure is fishy.

Only really class race within an hour of my house :(

Carols said:
Angry again.....Danged that idiot LA

2013 Philadelphia International Cycling Championship Cancelled

Sponsors pulled out...no comment that it was because of Armstrong Affair but a 28 year old; best 1 day race in the USA losing sponsor 2 days after LA admits sure is fishy.

Only really class race within an hour of my house :(

You're observing Thomas Weisel's memorial to the sport of cycling in the United States.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Any chance that Anna will divorce his a-s-s and claim sole custody of the kids? I'm only thinking of the kids because they don't deserve a father like this waste of skin. The kids might grow up to be bullies and learn to manipulative and threaten others. They should keep him away from his kids, seriously. He's a proven sociopath, duped millions, even those whose hopes to stay alive depended on him. He's dangerous to anyone who comes in contact with him.

TheEnoculator said:
Any chance that Anna will divorce his a-s-s and claim sole custody of the kids? I'm only thinking of the kids because they don't deserve a father like this waste of skin. The kids might grow up to be bullies and learn to manipulative and threaten others. They should keep him away from his kids, seriously. He's a proven sociopath, duped millions, even those whose hopes to stay alive depended on him. He's dangerous to anyone who comes in contact with him.

I don't think they're married, are they?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:

They would need to get married first if she wants to seek a divorce.;)

I won't talk specifically about his family, I personally think that's off limits.
But every kid needs their parent, and it is up to the adult to show the way.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
They would need to get married first if she wants to seek a divorce.;)

Right. I forgot they aren't married. Would she still dump him though? I think they lived together long enough for Anna to claim custody of the kids if she decides to break up with him.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Right. I forgot they aren't married. Would she still dump him though? I think they lived together long enough for Anna to claim custody of the kids if she decides to break up with him.

I have no intention in talking about his family.
They are not to blame for his actions.