• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

86TDFWinner said:
Also, He can't seem to keep his lies straight:

He told Oprah during the interview with her, that he didn't start doping until '95 or so and he told the guy on ESPN he started in '93 and he's not called out on it.

Well he says he first crossed the line at the Settimana Bergamasque race in 91, but claims it was legal stuff including Cortisone :eek: Then he admits to progressing to non legal medications in 93 and onto EPO in 95 so it does actually line up. What is clear is his eagerness to win at all costs as early as 19 when he was too happy to be treated. I would imagine he was treated with the same 'extract of cortisone' as Greg Stock/ Eric Kaiter.

As for him winning the Tour if everyone was clean, that is dubious as it is totally unprovable. How does Armstrong know he was the best without drugs? especially when he admits to having doped from his first full season as a pro. Armstrong still clearly has a lot of delusions that are not exactly making him any more likeable.

Re: Re:

pmcg76 said:
86TDFWinner said:
Also, He can't seem to keep his lies straight:

He told Oprah during the interview with her, that he didn't start doping until '95 or so and he told the guy on ESPN he started in '93 and he's not called out on it.

Well he says he first crossed the line at the Settimana Bergamasque race in 91, but claims it was legal stuff including Cortisone :eek: Then he admits to progressing to non legal medications in 93 and onto EPO in 95 so it does actually line up. What is clear is his eagerness to win at all costs as early as 19 when he was too happy to be treated. I would imagine he was treated with the same 'extract of cortisone' as Greg Stock/ Eric Kaiter.

As for him winning the Tour if everyone was clean, that is dubious as it is totally unprovable. How does Armstrong know he was the best without drugs? especially when he admits to having doped from his first full season as a pro. Armstrong still clearly has a lot of delusions that are not exactly making him any more likeable.
And that he finished no better than 36th Pre Doping. Like i(& others here have) said before: it's simply not humanly possible to win the TDF 7 times in a row w/o taking something.

Almost the entite Motorola team was using rHuEPO at the 1995 TDF when Armstrong finished 36th, so it wasn't strictly "pre doping" achievement.

Still they were somewhat comservative in their approach when the majority of Motorola riders (according to Steven Swart) tested their Hct's around 50 some week before the end of the race. Festina for instance preferred value 55 and some individual riders if not teams went even beyond this.

I think 36th place shows talent and is a fairly good achievement for a 23-year old kid who competes (presumably) first time under the influence of the RBC hormone against well-oiled teams with up to half a decade of experience with the substance.

I have no idea how Armstrong would've succeeded had everyone been clean, but even fairly unsympathetic Tyler Hamilton believed thay he would've perhaps won one or a few TDFs but not seven.

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

Could an Armstrong without dope, even with all the other riders clean, compete for the win, even a top 10? Could he get himself over the big cols? He was known as a punchy rider who could get over the hilly stages and contend there, winning from small breakaways by attacking early, but compete day in day out in the high mountains? Plus he used what seemed like a fairly big gear, somewhere close to what Ullrich was using, not something climbers did. I don't pretend to be an expert, but to me I just don't see Armstrong winning any GT with everyone (including him) riding clean.

This is such an old subject that it is very difficult to understand the amount of time to dislike someone on a message board.
Like all the drug cheaters before and present.
Every time the man takes a breath it is somehow spoiling your life?

Re:

nevele neves said:
This is such an old subject that it is very difficult to understand the amount of time to dislike someone on a message board.

It is hardly old news when Armstrong is in the media currently and coming out with nonsense claims like he would have won the Tour if everyone was clean. There is simply no way of knowing that. As people have said, the problem with Armstrong is his ego, he cannot simply stay away. He has to be in the spotlight talking crap, he simply cannot let it go. I pretty much stopped caring about Armstrong once the truth was out, that is all I ever wanted to see, the truth revealed and for him to slink off into the background. Not in his nature though...is it?

He wants to be forgiven and rehabilitated, but his ego just keeps getting in the way.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

pmcg76 said:
nevele neves said:

It is hardly old news when Armstrong is in the media currently and coming out with nonsense claims like he would have won the Tour if everyone was clean. There is simply no way of knowing that. As people have said, the problem with Armstrong is his ego, he cannot simply stay away. He has to be in the spotlight talking crap, he simply cannot let it go. I pretty much stopped caring about Armstrong once the truth was out, that is all I ever wanted to see, the truth revealed and for him to slink off into the background. Not in his nature though...is it?

He wants to be forgiven and rehabilitated, but his ego just keeps getting in the way.

He's got the most popular cycling podcast in the world, hundreds of thousands of people listening every day and cameos on NBC broadcasts. I'm not sure if that qualifies as rehabilitation but why would he step away? Apparently a lot of people want to hear him and his former teammates talk about the race.

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

NBC and big media conglomerates like that are opportunistic like this, to say the least. They are just caching in, and Armstrong in return is getting something in return. Any publicity is good publicity for him. He probably still has his base of fans from yesteryear backing him, there's probably a good number of neutrals who just want to hear another opinion and even those that resent him tune in because that is simply human nature. It's just like watching a basketball or football or any team game...many people hate the New York Yankees but they'll likely still watch them just hoping they'll lose and that will give them satisfaction.

I for one never liked Armstrong, I could tell from all those interviews back in the day that he was arrogant and antagonistic. There were many great riders that were much more enjoyable to watch and cheer for. Quite a few of his teammates were seemingly polar opposites of him. Then we got confirmation from the likes of Hamilton and Landis that Armstrong is not a pleasant guy.

The bottom line is people will still tune in or read about him, for whatever reason. The best would be for people that either don't care for him (the neutrals) and those that don't like simply tune out, ignore him, but that's never going to happen, in any sport, in any form of life. Humans love controversy and modern media and social media are perfect providers of that. It's too bad that he's getting the publicity again, but it is what it is.

eleven said:
pmcg76 said:
nevele neves said:

and cameos on NBC broadcasts. I'm not sure if that qualifies as rehabilitation but why would he step away? Apparently a lot of people want to hear him and his former teammates talk about the race.

He's got the most popular cycling podcast in the world, hundreds of thousands of people listening every day

NO - last podcast was about 44,000 listeners. Exaggerating LA's podcast success is simply being like LA himself - bullshitting! It is like Chump saying he had the most people ever at his inauguration. Come to think of it Armstrong and Chump are two of a kind!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

RobbieCanuck said:
eleven said:
pmcg76 said:
nevele neves said:

and cameos on NBC broadcasts. I'm not sure if that qualifies as rehabilitation but why would he step away? Apparently a lot of people want to hear him and his former teammates talk about the race.

He's got the most popular cycling podcast in the world, hundreds of thousands of people listening every day

NO - last podcast was about 44,000 listeners. Exaggerating LA's podcast success is simply being like LA himself - bullshitting! It is like Chump saying he had the most people ever at his inauguration. Come to think of it Armstrong and Chump are two of a kind!

Oh FFS, really? Let me rephrase that for you: He's got the most-downloaded sports and rec podcast https://toppodcast.com/top-podcasts/?search_string=&search_cat=22&search_submit=Filter (ahead of Barstool) and hundreds of thousands of people listening on a regular basis.

Is having more downloads than Barstool's most popular show a sign that he's not doing well? On a completely unrelated note: I actually agree re: the Trump comparison. They share a lot of personality traits. And both, despite of or because they are self-centered sociopaths, are very successful.

Curious why people would be up in arms about Armstrong having a talking head moment on NBC broadcast. There are many ex-dopers in the sport of cycling, in all facets including commentating. As for the investigation, it was never proven by Mr. Tygart, that Lance used the most, best dope in world, pure fallacy by Tygart......pathetic. I do think good came out of Tygarts investigation, it got Rabobank out of cycling, andf many dopers retired early......

pmcg76 said:
nevele neves said:

Correction. YOU want him to want to be forgiven and rehabilitated. Stop fooling yourself into thinking you’re somehow in the driver’s seat. Quicksand.

Alpe73 said:
pmcg76 said:
nevele neves said:

Correction. YOU want him to want to be forgiven and rehabilitated. Stop fooling yourself into thinking you’re somehow in the driver’s seat. Quicksand.
That is what is so curious about these posts. The absolute power Lance Armstrong has over them.

Curious why people would be up in arms about Armstrong having a talking head moment on NBC broadcast. There are many ex-dopers in the sport of cycling, in all facets including commentating. As for the investigation, it was never proven by Mr. Tygart, that Lance used the most, best dope in world, pure fallacy by Tygart......pathetic. I do think good came out of Tygarts investigation, it got Rabobank out of cycling, andf many dopers retired early......
He's serving his ban and has a right to make a living. Unfortunately he's profiting on a continuation of this lying. As mentioned earlier he was willingly taking USAC "prescriptions" forced on other junior teammates and lined up for more. Anyone around the junior cyclists back then knew who did it. He'd serve his cause of redemption and any shred of concern for young riders to admit that.
His ongoing campaign to draw equivalency to other eras and riders to legitimize his Tour results is the long con....he wants to be re-christened by Oprah and allowed to profit again. Still a sociopath.

He's serving his ban and has a right to make a living. Unfortunately he's profiting on a continuation of this lying. As mentioned earlier he was willingly taking USAC "prescriptions" forced on other junior teammates and lined up for more. Anyone around the junior cyclists back then knew who did it. He'd serve his cause of redemption and any shred of concern for young riders to admit that.
His ongoing campaign to draw equivalency to other eras and riders to legitimize his Tour results is the long con....he wants to be re-christened by Oprah and allowed to profit again. Still a sociopath.

No doubt a sociopath, however he has a much a right to be in cycling as Virunque, Bobby Julich, Riis, or any of the others, like Zabel, or Aldag. You might hate the dude....but all those guys I mentioned are still active, and used.....even Frankie Andrea, and Vaughters.....to me if you cheat, you cheat...no gray area, no as Tygart says most vilanous, evil doping programe of all kind...I would guess other sport are more guilty.....

Reactions: 86TDFWinner
I can see where he believes his victories were legit. He thinks the playing field was even in that everyone doped.

The idea that he'd have still won if they were all clean is laughable.
I don't think he believes that even when he lays down in the room with yellow jerseys on the wall. He wants everyone else to believe it because it sells and that restores his relevancy. Again; he can say what he wants but the truth is he was not dominant as a clean rider if there ever was a prolonged period when he was.

How could he be dominant as a clean rider in an era when everyone else was doping? Did the doping not work, is that it, clean riders could beat doped riders, it was only marginal gains, EPO wasn't the rocket fuel so many claim it was?
He wasn't a dominant rider or even the best Continental rider in the US when he first began his pro career. It was also certain that he was not clean at that time. What is clear is that he responded well to the prescription given to him by Ferrari. More so than other riders. That doesn't even come close to validating his results if he was clean.

Reactions: 86TDFWinner

TRENDING THREADS