Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

NBCSN will broadcast an interview with Lance Armstrong following Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The network announced Thursday that the 30-minute special will start after the game on Wednesday night. Armstrong will discuss his career with Mike Tirico in "Lance Armstrong: Next Stage."

The interview covers the doping culture within cycling when he competed, Armstrong's separation from the Livestrong Foundation that supports people with cancer and what's next for him.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping by the International Cycling Union in 2012.

He tells Tirico "we did what we had to do to win. It wasn't legal, but I wouldn't change a thing — whether it's losing a bunch of money, going from hero to zero."
http://www.startribune.com/nbcsn-to-air-30-minute-interview-with-lance-armstrong/510324372/

"I wouldn't change a thing".

There ya go. In case anyone here still thinks he has been rehabilitated or somehow changed. Nope. He's learned nothing. He would still cheat the same, lie the same, ruin lives the same... "wouldn't change a thing".

Ninety5rpm said:
NBCSN will broadcast an interview with Lance Armstrong following Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The network announced Thursday that the 30-minute special will start after the game on Wednesday night. Armstrong will discuss his career with Mike Tirico in "Lance Armstrong: Next Stage."

The interview covers the doping culture within cycling when he competed, Armstrong's separation from the Livestrong Foundation that supports people with cancer and what's next for him.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping by the International Cycling Union in 2012.

He tells Tirico "we did what we had to do to win. It wasn't legal, but I wouldn't change a thing — whether it's losing a bunch of money, going from hero to zero."
http://www.startribune.com/nbcsn-to-air-30-minute-interview-with-lance-armstrong/510324372/

There ya go. In case anyone here still thinks he has been rehabilitated or somehow changed. Nope. He's learned nothing. He would still cheat the same, lie the same, ruin lives the same... "wouldn't change a thing".
I think, from the excerpts, that's somewhat misrepresenting what he meant. I took it to mean that he's not unhappy with the person he is today, and doping and subsequent takedown are all part of him now. Where I think he shows that he has indeed learned nothing is that he seems to say that he wouldn't change the way he acted toward others (although he suggests there's more to it than that).

None of this is really cycling or doping related but it's been shown time and again that contrition is a winning strategy. I think we all can agree that an apology for doping would be pretty meaningless, especially from him, but to say, "I was an ass, I acted like an ass, I treated friends and enemies alike horribly. I don't expect you to forgive me for doping, I'm working every day on being a better person." -- that might win him a few points.

But, clearly, that's not in his makeup. I'm looking forward to the whole interview.

Ninety5rpm said:

WTF?

You still don’t understand your roll in all this? :geek:

Bolder said:
Ninety5rpm said:

I think, from the excerpts, that's somewhat misrepresenting what he meant. I took it to mean that he's not unhappy with the person he is today, and doping and subsequent takedown are all part of him now. Where I think he shows that he has indeed learned nothing is that he seems to say that he wouldn't change the way he acted toward others (although he suggests there's more to it than that).

None of this is really cycling or doping related but it's been shown time and again that contrition is a winning strategy. I think we all can agree that an apology for doping would be pretty meaningless, especially from him, but to say, "I was an ***, I acted like an ***, I treated friends and enemies alike horribly. I don't expect you to forgive me for doping, I'm working every day on being a better person." -- that might win him a few points.

But, clearly, that's not in his makeup. I'm looking forward to the whole interview.
Actually he means that going through all this has changed him and makes him what he is today. You're right the whole thing is taken out of context and used to fuel interest in this tired, dead story.

red_flanders said:
Bolder said:
Ninety5rpm said:

None of this is really cycling or doping related but it's been shown time and again that contrition is a winning strategy. I think we all can agree that an apology for doping would be pretty meaningless, especially from him, but to say, "I was an ***, I acted like an ***, I treated friends and enemies alike horribly. I don't expect you to forgive me for doping, I'm working every day on being a better person." -- that might win him a few points.

Actually he means that going through all this has changed him and makes him what he is today. You're right the whole thing is taken out of context and used to fuel interest in this tired, dead story.
But keep in mind, it's Wonderboy who continues beating the dead horse and continuing to keep it in the publics view.

Where's Flandis since all has went down, he's remained relatively quiet & not continually had to keep doing everything to remain relevant, unlike Wonderboy.

Same with Georgy Porgy, Levi, etc...we rarely hear anything about them these days.

But guess who can't help himself in slathering himself as much as he can EVERYWHERE? Wonderboy.

He knows he still has ball washers who STILL feed him attention, and him being an attention w:#!$, he has no problem continuing on. He's STILL yet to apologize to LeMond and Betsy, Frankie, Walsh, etc., doubt he ever will. There are folks who sadly STILL think he's done nothing wrong and what he did was no big deal. These are also the same folks who believe doping isn't going on today.

Mar 18, 2009

Alpe73 said:
Ninety5rpm said:

WTF?

You still don’t understand your roll in all this? :geek:
???

Re: Re:

Norks74 said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
thehog said:
ebandit said:
poor lance....what bollox....he got nothing more than he deserved....sanction loss of results/contracts

and he was not the only one team doctors.bruyneel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well he was an early investor in Uber which is about to go IPO which should make him more money than he ever did as a cyclist. I say he came out alright.
...or maybe not.

Uber's IPO joins ranks of Wall Street flops
Uber plunged at the opening of trading, falling as much as 8.8% from its IPO price of $45 per share. The stock closed at $41.57

Uber's IPO got caught in a perfect storm
In all, Uber lost nearly $6 billion in market cap in its first five hours as a public company.
Whether Uber 'flopped' on IPO misses the point. We need to know how many shares Lance has for his $100k (and on what terms..) before you can even start to calculate how much his holding is worth...

I'll contend that he has done more than very well should he have sold his entire holding on IPO day.
Exactly - Fanning (Napster founder) made $125m from his original $25k investment. I’d say Armstrong made $100m+ in holdings.

Thus in theory Armstrong’s ‘loan’ from SCA has made him beyond wealthy.

Jun 24, 2016
And others that are STILL prepared to moan on and on about Armstrong's transgressions from 15-20 years ago every time there's a news article about him. Also equally ready to ball-wash for their own hero as well. Different strokes for different folks.

Re:

Soggy Chamois said:
And others that are STILL prepared to moan on and on about Armstrong's transgressions from 15-20 years ago every time there's a news article about him. Also equally ready to ball-wash for their own hero as well. Different strokes for different folks.
Except that my "hero" WAS NEVER STRIPPED of his TDF titles, was never part of the most sophisticated doping program in the history of sports, never went out of his way to take others down, never tested positive for doping, never offered up $300k to anyone who'd claimed they saw him dope, so yeah, I guess I'm still not willing to forgive.

Not MINE or my hero's fault he's(Wonderboy)a POS, sociopathic, pathetic cheater.

So yeah, go ahead and continue ball washing Wonderboy, and I'll continue ball washing the ONLY AMERICAN in cycling history to win the TDF. :D

I lack the energy to hate someone for so long a period of time. It just gets emotionally draining, especially when the person is a total stranger.
Ideally someone within the cycling community would have conducted the interview, because there are still a lot of unanswered questions. No fault to the interviewer for not asking them; clearly he knows next to nothing about the sport.
That said, for me it is time to move on. I see a guy who is contrite and genuine. The guy has taken a schit kicking, both financially and personally, so I am done beating a dead horse. He seems to me a person who is trying to improve himself, just as we all should.

the delgados said:
I lack the energy to hate someone for so long a period of time. It just gets emotionally draining, especially when the person is a total stranger.
Ideally someone within the cycling community would have conducted the interview, because there are still a lot of unanswered questions. No fault to the interviewer for not asking them; clearly he knows next to nothing about the sport.
That said, for me it is time to move on. I see a guy who is contrite and genuine. The guy has taken a schit kicking, both financially and personally, so I am done beating a dead horse. He seems to me a person who is trying to improve himself, just as we all should.
Sums it up fairly well. My thoughts are similar. Tygart and co. have since become just as big as frauds as Armstrong ever was. Sky have proven nothing has changed in the sport and you need need the gun rather than a knife to win bike races. You can only laugh at it.

Re: Re:

thehog said:
Norks74 said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
thehog said:
ebandit said:
poor lance....what bollox....he got nothing more than he deserved....sanction loss of results/contracts

and he was not the only one team doctors.bruyneel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well he was an early investor in Uber which is about to go IPO which should make him more money than he ever did as a cyclist. I say he came out alright.
...or maybe not.

Uber's IPO joins ranks of Wall Street flops
Uber plunged at the opening of trading, falling as much as 8.8% from its IPO price of $45 per share. The stock closed at $41.57

Uber's IPO got caught in a perfect storm
In all, Uber lost nearly $6 billion in market cap in its first five hours as a public company.
Whether Uber 'flopped' on IPO misses the point. We need to know how many shares Lance has for his $100k (and on what terms..) before you can even start to calculate how much his holding is worth...

I'll contend that he has done more than very well should he have sold his entire holding on IPO day.
Exactly - Fanning (Napster founder) made $125m from his original $25k investment. I’d say Armstrong made $100m+ in holdings.

Thus in theory Armstrong’s ‘loan’ from SCA has made him beyond wealthy.

Looks like Armstrong made about $400m from Uber. Not bad, he could buy SCA and fund Walsh’s Program II :cool:

“It’s saved our family,” Armstrong told CNBC’s Andrew Sorkin in an interview aired on Thursday. In 2009, the former pro cyclist invested $100,000 in Chris Sacca’s nascent venture capital firm, Lowercase Capital. A

May 15, 2014

thehog said:
the delgados said:
Sums it up fairly well. My thoughts are similar. Tygart and co. have since become just as big as frauds as Armstrong ever was. Sky have proven nothing has changed in the sport and you need need the gun rather than a knife to win bike races. You can only laugh at it.
I agree, hate takes a lot of energy and Voldemort clearly isn't worth it. And, to some extent, I only wish him the best if he is indeed genuine and contrite.

That said... I think the outcome of that story for many, many people remains "don't get caught". It's not "do not dope", "don't be a fraud", "do not take advantage of other people", etc... for all this, I'd feel better if Voldemort remained out of the public's eye. He has way enough money so that he doesn't need to advertise anything. He's free and has the means to do anything he wants (except competing against other people). The only reason he's in the media is how much he cares about his image. It's just PR, ego. Don't fall for it.

Aug 29, 2016
Re:

86TDFWinner said:
He just can't help himself, he has to try to stay relevant!

What a poor, sad, sorry, pathetic excuse for a human being:
I do know you don't like Armstrong that much and noboby should, but even the "greedy-Johan hater-nymphomaniac-prostitute" Emma O'Reilly forgave him and moved on.

Your feelings about the guy have been noticed by the CN readers, but now-and-then life is easier with the advice of Dr. Jones Sr fresh in mind:

This Charming Man said:
Prejudice against American cyclists, by Trvis Tygart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuFf_bDMY4
[conspiracy]
How the *** is Bob Roll so confident Landis can pull back his 10 minute deficit in the pre-stage talk? I mean even in Coppi-Bartali times that would have been an epic accomplishment, in 2006 that's ridiculous, even though it was a strange race in any case.
Sure, on the surface he was just being optimistic for an American rider to an American audience, but if I had seen him say that live without knowing what would happen, my reaction would've been "what an idiot, total nonsense!".
[/conspiracy]

spalco said:
This Charming Man said:
Prejudice against American cyclists, by Trvis Tygart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuFf_bDMY4
[conspiracy]
How the **** is Bob Roll so confident Landis can pull back his 10 minute deficit in the pre-stage talk? I mean even in Coppi-Bartali times that would have been an epic accomplishment, in 2006 that's ridiculous, even though it was a strange race in any case.
Sure, on the surface he was just being optimistic for an American rider to an American audience, but if I had seen him say that live without knowing what would happen, my reaction would've been "what an idiot, total nonsense!".
[/conspiracy]
I believed flandis could do it. A weak field, without the superstars.

Q for 86TDFWinner: Can I presume you read the LeMond biog that came out last year? What's your take on its claim that Armstrong bounced Laurent Fignon into having to go public on his cancer diagnosis? From the book:
At 11:12 a.m. on June 11, 2009, Lance greeted his millions of Twitter followers with a most unexpected Tweet: ‘Sending out my best to Laurent Fignon who was recently dx w/ cancer. A friend, a great man, and a cycling legend. Livestrong Laurent.’

And thus did the cycling world learn that an enigmatic legend of French cycling was fighting for his life.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts