• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

86TDFWinner said:
I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.
I'm not sure you're quite grasping why LA's bikes sold for what they did. His name was the least of it. Hirst and Nara's names mattered far more.

How many bikes did LeMond have in his 86 victory and how do you prove that any bike is actually his bike from that race?

In general, I would have thought that supply of this stuff exceeds demand - yellow jerseys, team jumpers, bike frames, they're not unique.
Saint Unix said:
I'd imagine Obree's Old Faithful would fetch quite a decent amount of money. Arguably the most unique famous bike in all of cycling, and has a lot of historical significance.

That orange thing Merckx rode the hour record on is probably worth quite a lot.
Get a unique bike from a unique occasion and have no questions over provenance and you can ask more. But even throttling supply like that I still I think you are facing relatively low demand for this stuff.

fmk_RoI said:
86TDFWinner said:
I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.
I'm not sure you're quite grasping why LA's bikes sold for what they did. His name was the least of it. Hirst and Nara's names mattered far more.

How many bikes did LeMond have in his 86 victory and how do you prove that any bike is actually his bike from that race?

In general, I would have thought that supply of this stuff exceeds demand - yellow jerseys, team jumpers, bike frames, they're not unique.
Saint Unix said:
I'd imagine Obree's Old Faithful would fetch quite a decent amount of money. Arguably the most unique famous bike in all of cycling, and has a lot of historical significance.

That orange thing Merckx rode the hour record on is probably worth quite a lot.
Get a unique bike from a unique occasion and have no questions over provenance and you can ask more. But even throttling supply like that I still I think you are facing relatively low demand for this stuff.
I totally get what you're saying, and I'm just saying that LeMond could probably fetch a nice sum of money, were he to ever decide to part with that stuff. I'm sure the provenance would check out, as I can't imagine there's that many prototype LOOK bikes from that era, floating around.

I think a lifetime ban is fair. Would probably like to see more of them, tbh.

Though, he clearly didn't spill any meaningful beans. I can[t imagine that sentence wouldn't have been mitigated in exchange for some actionable information. The only conclusion you can draw is that in exchange for taking the ban he'll continue to have some kind of employment in the cycling world, whatever it might be. Maybe organizing charity rides...

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

CAS: 'Bruyneel was the top of the pyramid.'
Dr. Luis Garcia Del Moral, team doctor of US Postal, provided the court with an email exchange in which Bruyneel asked Del Moral to provide Lance Armstrong with EPO, including a real schedule when the rider had to be doping. The conclusion of CAS was that Bruyneel was the instigator of the doping affair and demanded that his suspension be extended to a lifetime ban.
https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/196770/us-postal-ploegarts-komt-met-belastend-bewijs-bruyneel-was-de-top-van-de-piramide

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Yes, Del Moral throwing JB under the bus. Simple defence - Befehl ist Befehl! (is he German or what?). But it worked, ban reduced to five years.

Interesting to know whether USADA has jurisdiction over JB, who knows ... .

In the latest move podcast, Bruyneel admitted he was essentially already on a lifetime ban from the sport and even with the 10 years ban he would not be involved in cycling again. He has a point. The ban doesn't really affect him, his involvement in cycling ended years ago anyway, the rest is just d!ck waving and back scratching.

Re:

samhocking said:
In the latest move podcast, Bruyneel admitted he was essentially already on a lifetime ban from the sport and even with the 10 years ban he would not be involved in cycling again. He has a point. The ban doesn't really affect him, his involvement in cycling ended years ago anyway, the rest is just d!ck waving and back scratching.

What you say is true, but SURELY we expect WADA/CAS to follow some sort of legal principles - You have Dr Moral with a sentence, then when he decides to talk, it is then reduced and others have their penalty increased.

Reduced sanctions is not unique to this case, it's offered to all isn't it? I'm sure it even exists within WADA's rules that you can have a sentence reduced if information you supply leads to proving others doping violations. In fact wasn't Armstrong and Bruyneel offered this, although more in terms of just coming clean? Obviously Amrstrong is going to protect every $ he can, if he admitted to it all he ends up on the street, so his lawyers would have told him exactly what he needs to do to retain his earnings after the trial. Similar for Bruyneels also,

Wasn't it his legal fees, the desire to dispute every allegation in court, that took a decent bite out of his fortune? Of course that along with all of the endorsement dollars that he ultimately lost. The actual penalties as a result of lost cases in court were likely the smallest of the three.

Re:

samhocking said:
Reduced sanctions is not unique to this case, it's offered to all isn't it? I'm sure it even exists within WADA's rules that you can have a sentence reduced if information you supply leads to proving others doping violations. In fact wasn't Armstrong and Bruyneel offered this, although more in terms of just coming clean? Obviously Amrstrong is going to protect every $ he can, if he admitted to it all he ends up on the street, so his lawyers would have told him exactly what he needs to do to retain his earnings after the trial. Similar for Bruyneels also,

You miss the point - Dr Moral offered no assistance at the original hearing - He only offered assistance when WADA appealed to CAS - Dr Moral provides assistance at the first hearing and then you can wear a discount.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
samhocking said:

You miss the point - Dr Moral offered no assistance at the original hearing - He only offered assistance when WADA appealed to CAS - Dr Moral provides assistance at the first hearing and then you can wear a discount.
:eek:

Re: Re:

glassmoon said:
yaco said:
samhocking said:

:eek:

That's generally how it works yaco. Bruyneel decided not to rebut the testimony of Dr. del Moral.

Re:

MatParker117 said:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/lance-armstrong-says-his-investment-in-uber-saved-our-family.html

Lost $111 million as a result of his confession but made tens of millions thanks to an early Uber investment. He could end up a billionaire when Uber goes public.

he will not be a billionaire. Uber is not going to grow 100x. Personally I believe that it's highly over-valued at the moment and Lance would be wise to get out on a high (via the secondary market). Uber is not and never has been profitable, never will be profitable without jacking up prices, and is only afloat due to VC exuberance and their childish tendency to throw good money after bad.

(You can do some bad math to show he's already a billionaire but let's just take him at his word that he's currently around the tens of millions mark, since none of the numbers are truly public or verifiable. If he were in the billions range I can assure you he'd be flying the bird to everyone in the cycling community and beyond.)

Lance's investment into Uber was one of the luckiest things ever to happen to him. Kudos to his advisor on that. Now he can recoup, and pretty much do whatever he likes. He will live like many of those thousands of multi millionaires out there, who will live beyond comfortable well into their 70's. I do not see him entering politics at any level.

TRENDING THREADS