Official London Olympics Doping thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Galic Ho said:
Gotta be fair to them. Their swimmers looked normal. I thought Addlington would win at least one gold, possibly two with the 400m and 800m free. She got whooped. She is 23. Way down on her Beijing times. A difference I can put down to the swim suits rule changes.

Nah, the USA in the pool. 50% of ALL golds is just ridiculous. Historically they win a lot, but I don't remember it ever being this high. Then there is their men and women sprinters. Thank God LaShawn Merritt apparently 'pulled' a hamstring in the 400m mens first round heat. He's as bad as Gatlin. Anyone remember his BS response to getting popped a few years back? The whole "I was getting laid and having a ton of sex and needed an upper from a little blue tablet." Gosh, come to think of it, given the number of condoms thrown delivered to the Olympic village (150,000 or 15 per athlete), surprised those who get popped don't just claim they were banging anything that moves...hence their positive.
IMO in the modern era the Yanks have always doped! They let Carl Lewis run after testing positive in the trials. He has been living off Seoul ever since Johnson was DQ'd, hypocrite!

I think the smaller sports, like sailing, hockey, fencing etc probably have some forms of cheating trying to get that edge but nothing like the major sports.

While TeamGB are getting a bashing, does not necessarily mean other nations are doing it clean, it just means the Brits for a change have the better programs in certain sports.

Maybe the Swimming coach at Sky has meant the Aussies have failed in the pool :D
 
May 26, 2009
3,687
1
0
buckle said:
Rupp is the tell, man. A white guy whooping Africans?
I really shouldn't be armchair modding twice, but this one can't end well :(

I strongly advice you not to open this can of worms.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Franklin said:
For the record, I'm ging to ask for moderators to stop the bashing of women based on looks.

This is crossing over into ridiculing women for how they look and that's plain wrong.
If women are bashed for how they look, how do you explain congratulating them for winning a medal in the same post? Your logic is faulty. Photographic evidence has been used before on the forum to question whether someone is doped. Sadly given many drugs are hormonal based, women can unfortunately suffer many physique changes. Aka, they begin to look more masculine. It's unfortunate, but again, it's too obvious to dismiss.

People are only asking questions dude...not bashing on someone for how they look. You're falling into the huge crack that assumptions offers. If people wanted to be mean and cruel, the language would match and so would the tone of the post. It's only inquisitive and note it's being asked only about the best...the medal winners. Those beating others who don't share suspicious physiques.

You might think it's mean, nasty and distateful. Fair enough. Tell that to all the European women Semenya annihilated years back at the World Championships. They were very vocal before they were beaten. They knew something was up. Yet they were beaten. Go take a look at a picture of Dani Samuels, the Aussie discus 2009 World Champion and compare to the Chinese girl. Then tell me a picture doesn't leave you suspicious. You won't object.
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
Galic Ho said:
No, it was the womens team 3km that got me. They were light years faster than everyone else. 2nd through to 5th were within a second of each other. 4-5 seconds faster than everyone just beggars belief I don't care who does it. Just like the female swimmers under 17 years of age. Franklin, Shiwen and the Eastern Euro girl. It's the women surprising me, not the men at these games.
A couple of things to consider is that the 3Km is a fairly new event (Around 4 years old) so it will take a while before a solid WR benchmark is set. The other is that GB has a team specific to that event. As far as I know they are the only country where that is the case. The US team is pretty strong with Sara Hammer but rely on at least one pure sprinter to make up the numbers.
 
Someone brought up Gay a few posts back. I'm encouraged by how injury prone he is. Too often, top level athletes (Bolt most recently, comes to mind) are hurt, go to a doctor in some far away country, and are back to 100% within days, probably having taken some steroid or other product to recover. He's been struggling for so long, its a very human comeback. The natural physical capacity that he overreaches and gets hurt from does not exist in synthetic athletes.
 
Franklin said:
I really shouldn't be armchair modding twice, but this one can't end well :(

I strongly advice you not to open this can of worms.
One of my posts was booted off an Armstrong thread. I was accused of being a conspiracy theorist for simply suggesting that USADA was operating under the influence of America's all powerful (and lucrative) political correct industry and not operating exclusively from a desire to clean up sport. A conspiracy theorist for making that point? :eek:
 
May 26, 2009
3,687
1
0
Galic Ho said:
If women are bashed for how they look, how do you explain congratulating them for winning a medal in the same post? Your logic is faulty. Photographic evidence has been used before on the forum to question whether someone is doped. Sadly given many drugs are hormonal based, women can unfortunately suffer many physique changes. Aka, they begin to look more masculine. It's unfortunate, but again, it's too obvious to dismiss.
That only works if you track them over the years. In this case we are judging both on our sense of beauty and ethnic characteristics (check my earlier links).

So this is not unfortunate, this is blatant female bashing.

People are only asking questions dude...not bashing on someone for how they look. You're falling into the huge crack that assumptions offers. If people wanted to be mean and cruel, the language would match and so would the tone of the post.
Oh cut it out will you?

Originally Posted by sniper
this handsome is the olympic champion discus throwing with the ladies. I'm not ****ting you.
Need more examples of stereotyping?

You might think it's mean, nasty and distateful. Fair enough. Tell that to all the European women Semenya annihilated years back at the World Championships.
Even if we poohpooh the misogyny expressed in some comments: Are you female? Are you competing with these women?

There is a difference here and you should realize the gap.

They were very vocal before they were beaten. They knew something was up. Yet they were beaten. Go take a look at a picture of Dani Samuels, the Aussie discus 2009 World Champion and compare to the Chinese girl. Then tell me a picture doesn't leave you suspicious. You won't object.
Cut the drama, if you followed my posts you know I'm anti-doping and anti-cheating and not naive at all. However this is turning into ridiculing women based on looks.

Track facial features over the years like you can do with Pantani, Inge de Bruijn and Thorpe, then you have a very good point. In this case just a picture is useless. There are many masculin women in the world who are not using drugs. How should they feel if we start prosecuting women at the olympics based on this evidence?
 
Jul 29, 2012
11
0
0
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Benotti69 said:
IMO in the modern era the Yanks have always doped! They let Carl Lewis run after testing positive in the trials. He has been living off Seoul ever since Johnson was DQ'd, hypocrite!

I think the smaller sports, like sailing, hockey, fencing etc probably have some forms of cheating trying to get that edge but nothing like the major sports.

While TeamGB are getting a bashing, does not necessarily mean other nations are doing it clean, it just means the Brits for a change have the better programs in certain sports.

Maybe the Swimming coach at Sky has meant the Aussies have failed in the pool :D
Maybe right with the pool and Tim Kerrison. Stephanie Rice apparently has a hole in her bicep rotator cuff. Nasty stuff. She was down on Beijing. Had an injury ladden last four years. Leisel Jones is slower as well. They were really the only ones.

I have no doubt the USA team in major sports, swimming, athletics and cycling (road) doped to the rim. King Carl!!! Yeah, hypocrit. I don't mind athletes like Allyson Felix, Jeremy Warriner...the lower key ones for the most part. It's the brash in your face arrogant ones that I don't like. The Armstrong mould pyschologically...grates on me. Not easy to stomach. Personality plays a part to me putting up with it. Don't really mind Tyson Gay...obviously dirty though. Second fastest 100m runner in history. Fastest after the three Jamaicans Powell, Blake and Bolt.

Actually I thought the USA dropped a bit around 2000 in Sydney in swimming. Then a certain Michael Phelps arrived. He went almost unnoticed in Sydney. Come Athens he was a colossal giant. It took Australia's greatest ever male swimmer to beat him in the 200m free and he is hardly a beacon for clean performances. To their credit, I did like the USA swim teams sense of humour with their YouTube parody of 'Call me Maybe.' I blame FINA for the mess with the swimming. Sure they have a BioPassport system, but athletes know they're being tested hours before an event. This is at this years Olympics. Press releases for swimming! Then there is the whole super bouyant swim suits from 2008 and 2009. FINA had to step in. Now those records are going. Most of the record breakers in those suits dropped their times, especially Britta Steffen and the German male who smoked Thorpe's 200m and 400m free records. No where to be seen. But the USA are breaking the records, more so than the Chinese teenage girls.

I can't believe Aaron Piersol's backstroke record is being smashed. Or that Lochte and Phelps can swim so many events and dominate. Lauere Manadou did that in 2004. Came back crap four years later. Kirsty Coventry came back, but dropped wins.

Clearly the USA swimming program is the best. The USA track sprint program is second only to Jamaica. That says enough. Be interesting to see what USADA do after the LA fiasco ends. I wonder how protected Phelps is? GB's focus since 2000 has been mostly cycling and rowing. You pick your apple cart and you run with it. USA wanted to, they could do the same with cycling GB has done. Not worth it. Better pay off for swimming and athletics. Just like Australia focuses on swimming and cycling mostly. It's where our specialties in coaching, doctors and talent lie.

I'm also watching the smaller events without suspicions of doping. Most of my concerns come from rulings and judgements based on the rules. The dodgy calls annoy me. I still can't believe that USA girl won silver in the gymnastics vault by landing on her ****. Never would have happened on the old scoring.

Addition: FINA should have completely revoked all swimming world records prior to 2009 and the banning of the super suits. Implemented a very thorough BioPassport run by Ashendens group in the USA and maybe, just maybe people would have competed cleaner than the past. But they didn't. Seriously, the only chance of breaking WR's was to dope. They were literally that fast. FINA are stupid for what they have done. They had an amazing opportunity to change how the game was played and they messed up. Just like cycling did after Puerto and Festina. Poor leadership.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Franklin said:
Cut the drama, if you followed my posts you know I'm anti-doping and anti-cheating and not naive at all. However this is turning into ridiculing women based on looks.

Track facial features over the years like you can do with Pantani, Inge de Bruijn and Thorpe, then you have a very good point. In this case just a picture is useless. There are many masculin women in the world who are not using drugs. How should they feel if we start prosecuting women at the olympics based on this evidence?
I do follow your posts. I like them.

As I said, you're operating under the assumption I am bashing females. As I said, and you can take my word on it, if I WERE bashing females on how they look, I'd simply come out and say, "look at this mole, hit every branch on the way down after falling from the ugly tree." I haven't stated anything of the sort and I won't because thay's just plain nasty and wrong.

As I said, your last point is sound. Plus it is wrong to prosecute people solely on look. Nobody has done that and nobody will. WADA won't step in unless something is suspect. Nor will the IAAF. They only did with Semenya AFTER doping samples seemed odd and weird for a female.

I stated the Belarussian did well to win a medal against a female Kiwi, who is a Maori. They physically share characteristics with the pacific islanders. Very big women. I know, they live in Australia. Men are big as well. That Kiwi woman is bigger than others, but has a very well known record of being superb. Same with the Belarussian. As I said, they are well below the men. I used Dani Samuels as a counter for what most people will look at. I went to school with a national female shot putter. Looks similar in build to Samuels. You don't need to remind me of strong women and what they look like. I see people *****ing on Facebook all the time about female fitness models on their fan pages. They get ripped on all the time for being too muscly. It's part and parcel with todays world...but do note the difference and tone dude. People can't help how they look...unless they're chugging down HGH vials. Note the sprinters are the suspect ones in that regard. And older photos of the USA 100m silver medallist were posted.

You missed my point in posting the picture in response to the Chinese womans pic. It was to actually highlight your final point about prosecuting people based on their looks...hence why my post ended with me stating it was unfortunate and that life would be hard. I didn't state what you did because it's a given. It's obvious. You see them once every four years in an obscure sport, where most people are more masculine looking and unfortunately the worst assumptions will be the first. Only highlighting that...not ripping on someone. Does it mean they're doping? Nope, as I said, the womans shot put medal winners are always up there. No real shock.

By all means, start the threads about facial acrogamly on Thorpe, de Bruijn and Pantani. Blackcat will love it.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
Galic Ho said:
The USA track sprint program is second only to Jamaica. That says enough
I don´t know if, and how many times athlets are tested in the USA, but there must be a reason jamaicans prefer to stay home compared to the 80s, when they went to Canada, GB, and USA.

I guess they are not tested (blood and out of competition) at all in Jamaica. Same as in Kenya (http://olympia.ard.de/london2012/allemeldungen/kenia167.html). Dopers heaven.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Don't be late Pedro said:
A couple of things to consider is that the 3Km is a fairly new event (Around 4 years old) so it will take a while before a solid WR benchmark is set. The other is that GB has a team specific to that event. As far as I know they are the only country where that is the case. The US team is pretty strong with Sara Hammer but rely on at least one pure sprinter to make up the numbers.
I was under the impression the Australian womens team had been training for over 2 years. Josie Tomic is Jack Bobridges fiance. The Aussie womens track team is very select. Like the mens. They are very young though. Then again, I thought most of the teams were, apart from older people like Hoy, Pendleton, Kenny and the Germans and French. At least they aren't 15-16 and Chinese.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I don´t know if, and how many times athlets are tested in the USA, but there must be a reason jamaicans prefer to stay home compared to the 80s, when they went to Canada, GB, and USA.

I guess they are not tested (blood and out of competition) at all in Jamaica. Same as in Kenya (http://olympia.ard.de/london2012/allemeldungen/kenia167.html). Dopers heaven.
I've heard talk in the Clinic about the Jamaicans being lax. Links here and there to articles. From what I remember, they don't test as often as they'd have you believe or even what the Clinic regulars would suspect should be happening. The officials from the Jamaicans Athletics Federation whine about testing and when people do get tested, they pop not just one, but a number of athletes from the same batch. Check Blake for reference.

I thought the IAAF and FINA introduced a Biological Passport like the UCI did. I wonder who runs theirs? Hope it's the body Ashenden works with in the USA. They're the only ones I trust. Be great to hear some of their analysis on the Kenyans and Jamaicans. Sadly, cycling is the whipping boy sport for dirty dopers and they do far more than other sports and even then it's not even close to enough. I can't wait for the day they have a test for total body haemoglobin measurement and the BioPassport guidelines are reeled in. Lots of dopers will be up a certain creek without a paddle.
 
May 19, 2010
1,899
0
0
CAS horsing around?

His horse failed a drug test, and the Saudi Abdullah Al Sharbatly got a eight month suspension from FEI. Saudi Arabia donated a big load of money to fund FEI Nations Cup. Al Sharbatly appealed to CAS. CAS reduced the sentence and Al Sharbatly was free to compete in the Olympics, where he won bronze.

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/06/02/appeals-saudi-arabian-riders-fast-track/#.UCA8pPbiaNM

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/infogenerales.asp/4-3-5956-1092-4-1-1/5-0-1092-15-1-1/

http://www.equestrian.com.my/index.php/news/1625-saudi-equestrian-fund-to-finance-fei-nations-cup-facelift
 
Jul 16, 2010
31
0
0
That collapse by Borchin the Russian walker was very scary in the 20km walk on Saturday. People should check out the video. He and his training partners were busted for EPO and systematic doping in 2008.

Also the 2008 50km champ tested postive and was booted out today from London.

He is from Italy and trains with the chinese walkers in Italy. They destroyed the field in the 20km walk and were not a bit tired after it.

Race walking is worse than cycling
 
Trek1000 said:
That collapse by Borchin the Russian walker was very scary in the 20km walk on Saturday. People should check out the video. He and his training partners were busted for EPO and systematic doping in 2008.

Also the 2008 50km champ tested postive and was booted out today from London.

He is from Italy and trains with the chinese walkers in Italy. They destroyed the field in the 20km walk and were not a bit tired after it.

Race walking is worse than cycling
Plus, even if you win, you have to tell people that you have a gold medal for walking like a dork.
 
Aug 18, 2009
4,993
1
0
buckle said:
The Salazar cocktail includes some testosterone, EPO and HGH not to mention blood doping. Nike has a blood lab set up in the Mia Hamm building these guys use when in Portland and its in the most highly classified area. The guy in charge used to work with Lance Armstrong's group.
Wut? Source?

...

-Makhloufi got let back into the 1500m final after his team claimed a knee problem was the reason for his pulling up in the 800m heat BTW.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
Galic Ho said:
I've heard talk in the Clinic about the Jamaicans being lax. Links here and there to articles. From what I remember, they don't test as often as they'd have you believe or even what the Clinic regulars would suspect should be happening. The officials from the Jamaicans Athletics Federation whine about testing and when people do get tested, they pop not just one, but a number of athletes from the same batch. Check Blake for reference.

I thought the IAAF and FINA introduced a Biological Passport like the UCI did. I wonder who runs theirs? Hope it's the body Ashenden works with in the USA. They're the only ones I trust. Be great to hear some of their analysis on the Kenyans and Jamaicans. Sadly, cycling is the whipping boy sport for dirty dopers and they do far more than other sports and even then it's not even close to enough. I can't wait for the day they have a test for total body haemoglobin measurement and the BioPassport guidelines are reeled in. Lots of dopers will be up a certain creek without a paddle.
Yes, all the hypocrisy. Cycling is certainly doing more than others. OTOH that´s no tough task, since FINA or IAAF don´t test at all OOC (at least in countries like Kenya or Jamaica).
I bet house & life, if Bolt was born in the 70s he´d have gone to america or europe ASAP for better training & coaching. Since jamaicans prefer to stay home nowadays, that tells me doping does much better for you than exchange it for A+ coaching and training facilities.

And also, if cycling wouldn´t protect Pharmstrong, they´d be looking much better in the POV of real fans, observers and critics.
 
Trek1000 said:
That collapse by Borchin the Russian walker was very scary in the 20km walk on Saturday. People should check out the video. He and his training partners were busted for EPO and systematic doping in 2008.

Also the 2008 50km champ tested postive and was booted out today from London.

He is from Italy and trains with the chinese walkers in Italy. They destroyed the field in the 20km walk and were not a bit tired after it.

Race walking is worse than cycling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0KHMdO-kw&feature=player_embedded#!

1:45
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
Re posted here from the UK Track thread :Well, well, well, this is interesting. GlaxoSmithKline are involved in medical control at the Olympics ( you may have seen there TV adds to that effect here in the uk)...and guess what..Peter Keen, widely held responsible for setting BC cycling on the road to were they are now and is a Special Adviser to UK Sports now works for GlaxoSmithKline. The link gives an idea of the corruption involved . All pure coincidence of course...move along now..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_RJ9...&feature=share
 
May 21, 2010
809
0
0
Darryl Webster said:
Re posted here from the UK Track thread :Well, well, well, this is interesting. GlaxoSmithKline are involved in medical control at the Olympics ( you may have seen there TV adds to that effect here in the uk)...and guess what..Peter Keen, widely held responsible for setting BC cycling on the road to were they are now and is a Special Adviser to UK Sports now works for GlaxoSmithKline. The link gives an idea of the corruption involved . All pure coincidence of course...move along now..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_RJ9...&feature=share
I think GSK want to move into sports drinks/supplements etc proper drugs take lots of money and pressure from generics and copies weigh heavy.
Hiring Keen and getting involved with the olympics seems like smart business to me.
I think is more cynical marketing etc as im pretty sure Keen is there as a name/figurehead is he a doctor specialising in nutrition etc ?
Or you could be right.Alls fair in love war and business
 
May 21, 2010
809
0
0
Galic Ho said:
I've heard talk in the Clinic about the Jamaicans being lax. Links here and there to articles. From what I remember, they don't test as often as they'd have you believe or even what the Clinic regulars would suspect should be happening. The officials from the Jamaicans Athletics Federation whine about testing and when people do get tested, they pop not just one, but a number of athletes from the same batch. Check Blake for reference.

I thought the IAAF and FINA introduced a Biological Passport like the UCI did. I wonder who runs theirs? Hope it's the body Ashenden works with in the USA. They're the only ones I trust. Be great to hear some of their analysis on the Kenyans and Jamaicans. Sadly, cycling is the whipping boy sport for dirty dopers and they do far more than other sports and even then it's not even close to enough. I can't wait for the day they have a test for total body haemoglobin measurement and the BioPassport guidelines are reeled in. Lots of dopers will be up a certain creek without a paddle.
Off the top of my head pre jamaican dominance was 350+ OOC tests across all registered atheltes to around 100 now in that ballpark not exact figures.
 
Trek1000 said:
That collapse by Borchin the Russian walker was very scary in the 20km walk on Saturday. People should check out the video. He and his training partners were busted for EPO and systematic doping in 2008.

Also the 2008 50km champ tested postive and was booted out today from London.

He is from Italy and trains with the chinese walkers in Italy. They destroyed the field in the 20km walk and were not a bit tired after it.

Race walking is worse than cycling
Our great olympic hero of recent decades was the 50km walk champ (korzeniowski) and i remember when he won his 4th and final gold the russian who came 2nd like 4 minutes later needed to be directed to the stadium cos he could not even see where he was going by then. A really brutal sport.
 
The Hitch said:
Our great olympic hero of recent decades was the 50km walk champ (korzeniowski) and i remember when he won his 4th and final gold the russian who came 2nd like 4 minutes later needed to be directed to the stadium cos he could not even see where he was going by then. A really brutal sport.
Athens, right? I remember Deakes being disqualified with only a few km to go (well, I didn't, I had to look up his name, but I remembered the DQ) when he was chasing down for a medal, but Korzeniowski was long gone. I seem to think the Russian collapsed straight after the line and there was some time before he got any attention too.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H The Clinic 11

ASK THE COMMUNITY