• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official London Olympics Doping thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
benny_profane said:
Seriously, I can't believe this. Guy skips training camp to work with 'private medical staff' a week before the Olympics and the BOA doctors have to write to him to ask for his medical records? Weird at the very least.

Why are the athletics team in Portugal for a start, a country with a poor record for its cyclists doping?

Albatros said:
Nadal competed in the last Olympics. I would understand a timed injury before the Olympics, but during the Olympics? What's the point of that?

If he places high enough, then there would be testing. But, whoever is running his program understands testing because presumably he hasn't actually returned a positive.

Cavalier said:
Can I make an early prediction of three weightlifters, two from track and field, and one from another random sport for something innocuous?

Add to that - no one from football, basketball or tennis will test positive and about 10 from cycling will - that'll only be in 1215 though when the ratify the new test on next generation hemorrhoid cream...

TheGeneral said:

Pheew, at least it wasn't from Kenya cos they're all clean...

Albatros said:
I think this exercise would be far more interesting if we tried to find clean athletes .
For instance, Eric Moussambani in 2000 may have been clean. That said cautiously, of course.

What? And kill the thread instantly? How many posts would you get trying to find clean athletes? Did LeMond ever do the olympics? :)

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
yeh that is strange -why train in 40 degrees heat and return to London where it,ll be 15 next week.

It's 32 today in London, pretty much the same temp as Lisbon this week. Given the "support" national drugs bodies tend to give their athletes in olympic year I'd've thought staying in Britain would've made more sense.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
VeloGirl said:
American woman's soccer player Hope Solo returned a positive doping control for the diuretic, Canrenone, which is only available in Europe.

She claimed it was an ingredient in a script her doctor gave her for PMS (which could very well be true - but it's only available in Europe? She lives in the US).
USADA gave her a "public warning" and as such, she will be part of the 2012 London games.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/10/goalkeeper-solo-gets-drug-warning-ahead-of-olympics/

She is a goalie isn't she.What does she need peds for? Maybe ballroom.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The nine are all from track and field. Three of them banned after re-analysing tests from the 2011 Athletics World Championship: Inna Eftimova (Bulgaria), Nataliya Tobias ((Ukraine) and Antonina Yefremova, (Ukraine).
http://www.iaaf.org/antidoping/news/newsid=66099.html

The six others are sanctioned under the IAAF Athlete Biological Passport programme: Abderrahim Goumri (Morocco), Iríni Kokkinaríou (Greece), Meryem Erdogan (Turkey), Svetlana Klyuka (Russia), Nailiya Yulamanova (Russia) and Yevgenina Zinurova (Russia).

http://www.iaaf.org/antidoping/news/newsid=66100.html

http://www.iaaf.org/antidoping/news/newsid=66101.html

May 19, 2010
Visit site
They are all runners and at least four of the nine bans was already known.

* Inna Eftimova (sprinter, Bulgaria) - the sanction was announced already in May.

* Nataliya Tobias (1500/3000 m, Ukraine)

* Antonina Yefremova (400m, Ukraine)

* Abderrahim Goumri (Marathon, Morocco)

* Iríni (Erini) Kokkinaríou (Steeplechase, Greece)

* Meryem Erdoğan (Long distance running, Turkey)

* Svetlana Klyuka (800m, Russia)

* Nailiya Yulamanova (Marathon, Russia)

* Yevgeniya Zinurova (800 m. Russia)

The sanctions of Klyuka, Yulamanova and Zinurova was already announced some weeks ago

May 26, 2010
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Part of me wishes they didn't make the announcement, and catch some athletes off guard.

True and I also hope they start testing what they have still in laboratories from all sports and from the 2011 and 2012 cycling season at the least.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Doped on ignorance, hatred and racism...?:

Voula Papachristou has been pulled from the Greek Olympic Delegation by the Greek Olympic Committee for a racist tweet.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/DMF20120725_140

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/voula-papachristou-greek-olympic-racist-tweet_n_1701410.html

Absolutely ridiculous. That is not racism. People in the Western world are paranoid when it comes to racism, especially concerning people from African descent. It's a full-fledged witch hunt.

I'm not racist at all, the concept is completely lost to me. My best friend is black and that has no significance to me at all.

I'm amazed at how people aren't allowed to make regular jokes anymore. Do those mosquitoes come from Africa, yes. Do those people come from Africa? Yes. Is it a true statement that those mosquitoes will be eating home food? Yes. Does it matter? Absolutely not.

Why on earth do people have to make such a fuzz about silly things like this. Jokes about Belgians would never be treated the same way.

A case.
What do these 2 people have in comon:
Griffin-Vs-Franklin.jpg
Tokyo-450x336.jpg

Correct, they're both human AND both look like monkeys.

I say the first guy looks like a monkey: no one cares, some people laugh.
I say the second guy looks like a monkey: planet explodes, everybody gets mad and constipated.

That's plain wrong. I wonder what would happen if a black person calls a white person a polar bear. Yup, nothing.

I know there's some context to be taken into account, like a very long period of terrible oppression, but you don't heal those wounds by becoming totally paranoid.

Poor woman, those are my thoughts.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
I'm not racist at all
lol carry on...
boomcie said:
a black person calls a white person a polar bear
The fact that you have to invent such a ridiculous example demonstrates nicely that racism is totally a one way street. If you try to represent it as a level playing field, you're an apologist and you're lying.
boomcie said:
... there's some context to be taken into account...
And not just historically. If you look at Greece - the athlete made a racial joke that wasn't overtly derogatory, but the context makes it more meaningful. 7% of Greeks voted for a facist party who are close to the police and carry out systematic violence against immigrants, and the economic situation combined with the high immigration is always going to create huge racial tension. If you want to dissociate yourself from the racist movement in your country you don't make such a comment on a pulic platform, quite the opposite. You could call it a nod to racists.

Thanks for doing your bit though to protect precious racist humour, perpetuate old racist slurs and acquit petty racists, while maintaining the stigma on other peoples ethnicities at a difficult time in Europe.

boomcie said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/voula-papachristou-greek-olympic-racist-tweet_n_1701410.html

Absolutely ridiculous. That is not racism. People in the Western world are paranoid when it comes to racism, especially concerning people from African descent. It's a full-fledged witch hunt.

I'm not racist at all, the concept is completely lost to me. My best friend is black and that has no significance to me at all.

I'm amazed at how people aren't allowed to make regular jokes anymore. Do those mosquitoes come from Africa, yes. Do those people come from Africa? Yes. Is it a true statement that those mosquitoes will be eating home food? Yes. Does it matter? Absolutely not.

Why on earth do people have to make such a fuzz about silly things like this. Jokes about Belgians would never be treated the same way.

A case.
What do these 2 people have in comon:
Griffin-Vs-Franklin.jpg
Tokyo-450x336.jpg

Correct, they're both human AND both look like monkeys.

I say the first guy looks like a monkey: no one cares, some people laugh.
I say the second guy looks like a monkey: planet explodes, everybody gets mad and constipated.

That's plain wrong. I wonder what would happen if a black person calls a white person a polar bear. Yup, nothing.

I know there's some context to be taken into account, like a very long period of terrible oppression, but you don't heal those wounds by becoming totally paranoid.

Poor woman, those are my thoughts.

My best friend is black ..classic line. Obviously you like racist jokes so maybe you need to join white supremacist forum?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
The fact that you have to invent such a ridiculous example demonstrates nicely that racism is totally a one way street. If you try to represent it as a level playing field, you're an apologist and you're lying.

Why is it pathetic? I know it's not a level playing field. But that's irrelevant in this case. I'm not defending people who call African people apes, I'm merely saying that if I see a person that looks like a monkey, I should be allowed to express this thought. Black or white. You apparently support a mindset that includes differences between races, I don't.

taiwan said:
Thanks for doing your bit though to protect precious racist humour, perpetuate old racist slurs and acquit petty racists, while maintaining the stigma on other peoples ethnicities at a difficult time in Europe.

What the hell? I refuse to treat a person differently because they're from another race, even if society pressurizes me to behave differently. How on earth do I qualify as a racist?

You obviously can't do the same and this sadly makes you a lot worse than I am. I'm not the one discriminating here, you are. Still I'm not calling you a racist, because that's super-cheap and unfair.

I have never been labeled a racist by anyone, simply because it's ridiculously inadequate to describe me that way.

You don't need to react anymore. Thanks for calling me a racist.

Zam_Olyas said:
My best friend is black ..classic line. Obviously you like racist jokes so maybe you need to join white supremacist forum?

My best friend IS black. ***hole.

I don't like racist jokes. The joke simply wasn't racist IMO. Think a minute over what you just said. It's incredibly hurtful. I hope you're ashamed of yourself. Seriously.

@Both of you, stop calling me a racist. It's totally not ok.

Benotti69 said:
True and I also hope they start testing what they have still in laboratories from all sports and from the 2011 and 2012 cycling season at the least.

This should be stadard practice. A panel at WADA should get a budget of 100 retroactive tests when a new test is introduced. Don't count on national federation volunteering many of their own. Samples taken early races/tournaments get increasingly interesing, rather than totally useless as they were. I would know a few samples to select for a HGH-only test from the past 2 years. I bet a The Clinic panel could get 20-30% or more positives from one sample per atlete they'd select.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Just bear in mind that you're excercising your freedom of speech against a background of racism in european culture and as part of the majority ethnic group. If not your comment wouldn't have any wider significance. If you called someone of clearly European appearance 'monkey' the response would be bemusement, if you would even say it at all outside such a contrived example. If you say it to an African you know how it will be taken by everyone present. And you don't know what would happen about the polar bear comment because it didn't happen and it doesn't have the same significance.

There is no other reason to knowingly repeat a racist slur than racism IMO. Go to a football match and vocally 'observe' that a black player looks like a monkey. If the cap fits, wear it.

But clearly this is all O/T and an unwise topic to discuss here.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
This should be stadard practice. A panel at WADA should get a budget of 100 retroactive tests when a new test is introduced. Don't count on national federation volunteering many of their own. Samples taken early races/tournaments get increasingly interesing, rather than totally useless as they were. I would know a few samples to select for a HGH-only test from the past 2 years. I bet a The Clinic panel could get 20-30% or more positives from one sample per atlete they'd select.

I would like to see all Gilbert's samples tested from last year and Boonen's from this.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:

Absolutely ridiculous. That is not racism.

[...]

Talking about ignorance.

The Western Nile Wirus (WNV) is hitting Greece again for the second consecutive year and it has nothing to do with the "African-ness" of mosquitoes.

Did you check the mosquitoes' passports when they entered Greece? Mosquitoes don't even fly further then a couple of miles, and unless they were traveling in someone's suitcase, it is highly unlikely they flew to Greece from "Africa"

The Western Nile Virus (WNV) occurs in mammals, including human beings, and mostly birds. The mosquito, whether it originated in "Africa" or in Greece, bites the disease carrier (WNV), and when it bites a non-infected subject, there is a chance the disease is transferred. The original carrier could be an "African" (migrated) bird, or an African human being, or a Greek bird, or Greek human being....

There is nothing "home food" about it; especially since the Western Nile Virus, which might at one point in history have originated, or perhaps just discovered in and thus named after, the Western Nile region, also occurs in Greece, Canada, the US (since 1999), Mexico and many other countries.

Making comments about an ominous, potentially lethal, and exotic disease, that affects a country's population and associating that disease solely with ("African") immigrants, at a time that the country has a high influx of ("African") immigrants, is text book racism.

I remember something about the 30s and 40s in Europe, when one group in Germany was also accused of carrying and spreading diseases.

Also, The HuffPo
Greece has removed triple jumper Voula Papachristou from the country's team at the London Olympics over her comments on Twitter mocking African immigrants and expressing support for a far-right party.

Comments should be 'read' within a context; i.e. an actor, or a comedian saying X on stage is different from a president saying the X, or even you saying it to your friends in you living room over dinner. I don't read Greek; I don't know more then what she said, through reports.

The Greeks responded first to those tweet(s) and I guess that they, within their context, within their society (Euro crisis/unemployment/anti-immigrant sentiments/outbreak of WNV/rise of extremist parties and all the other (cultural) sensitivities that we as non-Greeks don't know about), and understanding the nuances of the Greek language, detected at least a hint of racism. From the AP/HuffPo article, it seems she has also expressed sympathies for the far right political party (Golden Dawn?), which, arguably, makes people 'read' the "joke" differently.

If you want to continue the conversation, please PM, so as to not hijack the thread.

TRENDING THREADS