• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Movistar Thread - New Unzue's Team

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
For 2012 it might be the most likely team. In this article - http://www.marca.com/2010/08/26/ciclismo/1282842977.html Valverde says he would welcome Contador, Contador has been linked to Unzue before, so it is likely. On the other hand, why has Contador not moved to Unzue before, instead choosing to stick wit Astana, then try Riis. Maybe there is something there?

I thought with Astana he was still under contract and they (Astana) weren't willing to accept having that contract bought out. As far as Caisse, it was my understanding that their sponsorship was ending and Contador decided he couldn't wait to see if anyone was definitely stepping up to take over. Telefonica was rumoured but at the time that's all that it was.

elcangrejo said:
This kid is a super talent and a really nice guy. Rode with him + Spanish worlds team in the week leading up to the worlds. The u23s team they brought was a bucketload of talent. Wouldnt be surprised to see Movistar or another spanish team snatch up some more of them. Mikel Landa is a good investment for Euskaltel... Higinio Fernandez Suarez is also going to be huge. Just look at his palmares... Juanjo Lobato, strong sprinter (Stagiaire for Andalucia Cajasur)... Had a bit of an off day in the worlds, placing 9th. Capable of much more. Finally there are some successors to Freire coming through... Would love to see any of these guys at Movistar. They all deserve a spot, but its up to Unzue to decide how many young kids he's going to take on and what type of rider he's looking for. :)

Some interesting names you mention, I can only agree that Higinio could very well be a future stageracingstar, hopefully he will go to a bigger team soon, and I also agree that Lobato Del Valle is also a huge talent for sprints and classics. Actually thought he had signed for Andalucia, along with the very similar (but a little less talented) Jose Luis Cano but he could ride for any team.

Btw do you have any info/contractnews regarding another spanish talent for stageraces Victor Cabedo ? I have high hopes for him, but I guess it is time for him to get pro now, so he wont end up stagnating like for instance Arturo Mora that stayed amateur 1 year too long.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
MADRAZO said:
Some interesting names you mention, I can only agree that Higinio could very well be a future stageracingstar, hopefully he will go to a bigger team soon, and I also agree that Lobato Del Valle is also a huge talent for sprints and classics. Actually thought he had signed for Andalucia, along with the very similar (but a little less talented) Jose Luis Cano but he could ride for any team.

Btw do you have any info/contractnews regarding another spanish talent for stageraces Victor Cabedo ? I have high hopes for him, but I guess it is time for him to get pro now, so he wont end up stagnating like for instance Arturo Mora that stayed amateur 1 year too long.

Hmmm I can't say I know a lot about Victor Cabedo. I can look into it for you. I do however know of one very interesting set of negotiations for a legendary Spanish rider. Don't want to say anything yet, cos he's a good friend, but I'll let you know when he gives me permission to say something. Do you know of any other young Spanish talents? And any more possible young signings for Movistar? Unzue knows how to pick and nurture his young talents. Any kid lucky enough to be signed will be looked after...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
movistar will focus almost entirely on latin america in coming years. unzue has already stated during his visit in colombia now that each year the best riders of movistar ct will go to movistar pt possibly even during season. within 2 or 3 years at least 50% of the team will be from latin america

janraaskalt said:
I can't understand Uran leaving Movistar while they're trying to have more South American riders. He's probably the best prospect there is. Either something's wrong with the kid or Sky give him an huge paycheck.

Unzué said "we'd like to keep him, but he has an offer from Sky that is very good. Very good". Sky have waved the chequebook at him, because there's no way from a cycling perspective he's better off in a team with approximately zero climbers than a team in which he is with the best developmental guy in the business and in a position to be at least ersatz co-leader as long as Valverde's on the shelf.

One hopes this isn't Rujano to Quick Step all over again, because I'm really not sure how Urán will fit in at Sky.

elcangrejo said:
Hmmm I can't say I know a lot about Victor Cabedo. I can look into it for you. I do however know of one very interesting set of negotiations for a legendary Spanish rider. Don't want to say anything yet, cos he's a good friend, but I'll let you know when he gives me permission to say something. Do you know of any other young Spanish talents? And any more possible young signings for Movistar? Unzue knows how to pick and nurture his young talents. Any kid lucky enough to be signed will be looked after...

I doubt any other spanish talents will go to Moviestar this season, but hopefully a talent like Angel Madrazo will beginn to shine next season after a couple of dissapointing seasons.

Amongst the other young unsigned spanish talents I think Cabedo (strong stageracer) is now the most pro-contract-worthy but also young riders like for instance Jordi Simon, Ramon Domene, Ibai Salas and perhaps Miguel Angel Lucena will be very interesting in the future. Besides Higinio Fernandez and Lobato Del Valle/Jesus Herrada already turned pros youngstars Pablo Lechuga, Garikoits Bravo and Mikel Landa should also be very interesting to follow.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I only hope Movistar will get better jerseys than Caisse d'Epargne ... I feel like their jerseys have been ugly from the start and never really got better.

That's a weird one, real matter of taste. In a world with Lampre, Footon, HTC, Garmin and Radioshack you pick on Caisse d'Epargne? There are many who'd say that their jerseys never really got better cos they didn't really change them, since how do you improve on it? It's simple, it's classy, it's recognisable.

And it has a squirrel on it! How cool is that?

I liked the later Banesto one, and the weird multi-colour Illes Balears..

99docn.jpg

Sports+Pictures+Week+July+18+_EyrKsAjFs3l.jpg

Be nice to see some yellow back - Saunier Duval style.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Javier Iriarte (ex-Burgos) and Enrique Sanz to ride for Movistar in 2011

import_13355120_11.jpg

Francisco Javier Iriarte (Lizarte)

EgunHorif06.jpg

Enrique Sanz (Lizarte)

mx_movistar.gif
Unzué 2011/13 Team roster thus far update Oct 24: Movistar 1

1)- Xavier Tondo,
2)- José Iván Gutiérrez,
3)- José Joaquín Rojas,
4)- Vasil Kiriyenka,
5)- Imanol Erviti,
6)- Rubén Plaza,
7)- Marzio Bruseghin,
8)- Ignatas Konovalovas,
9)- Andrey Amador,
10)-Angel Madrazo,
11)-David López,
12)-Francisco Ventoso,
13)-Sergio Pardilla,
14)-Branislau Samoilau,
15)-Jesús Herrada,
16)-Beñat Intxausti,
17)-Luis Pasamontes,
18)-David Arroyo,
19)-Pablo Lastras,
20)-Juan Mauricio Soler,
21)-Francisco Pérez,
22)-Txente García,
23)-Javier Iriarte
24)-Enrique Sanz

25)-Alejandro Valverde(2011)
26)-Alberto Contador (2012)

I thought you'd confirmed Rujano for Androni? As far as I'm aware it's a bit of a tug of love between the two. I think with Movistar they might free him up to ride as a guest for Continental Team Movistar for his South American races - but would he rather race for them or stay with Gobernación del Zulia?

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I thought you'd confirmed Rujano for Androni? As far as I'm aware it's a bit of a tug of love between the two. I think with Movistar they might free him up to ride as a guest for Continental Team Movistar for his South American races - but would he rather race for them or stay with Gobernación del Zulia?

You are right he is to ride for Androni. It is just that there was a big ? in the media from some buisiness associate of José telling there was still talks with Movi therefore the ??