• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: Stage 16 TdF Martigny - Bourg-Saint-Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, Ill get this started...
gr178392copy_600.jpg

gr178389copy_600.jpg

Several years ago, I stayed in Pre St Didier for a ski trip. I have been across most of the route to be ridden, and it is tough. I wouldn't want to ride it at even at cat 4 pace.

[my edit] oops, spent too much time making sure the post was not a repeat and forgot to check the spelling of the thread title

[second edit] In case anyone wonders, I typed the title as Martigny toGourg Saint Maurice.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
for what it is worth, were the race to go straight instead of turning left at Pre St Didier, they would eventually face this:
3740698399_89e94ac3b3.jpg

or go thru a 20km+ tunnel that killed a bunch of folks several years ago.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Given tomorrow's stage profile and the ensuing ITT, it's hard to imagine Astana will chase down a break if it isn't threatening. Very much expecting a Pellizotti or Rogers win today.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
First 40kms up hill, ouch.....nothing like a bit of suffering to start today's stage. Be interesting to see if there is a break away.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
First 40kms up hill, ouch.....nothing like a bit of suffering to start today's stage. Be interesting to see if there is a break away.

Wiith an HC and a (doublepoint I think) cat 1, I'd guess we will see those after the mountaingoat jersey off the front. Pellozotti could win the stage.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
What is the last descent and run-out to the finish like?
Dont know the finishing downhill, but I do know that the first uphill, first downhill, and second up hill have very little transitional terrain in between.

It is a bear of a stage.

With such a lot of desending on this stage,my vote for stage victory is .........Mathew lloyd Silence/Lotto.....Excellent climber and has improved his desending over the last 2 years.....Since Cadels tour is screwed The bunch may let him go on a break..

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
30 K to the finish. Unless the lead group gets a 2 plus minute lead you will have a large group of riders finishing. Can anyone of the GC contenders get a 2 minute lead on this climb to keep it at the finish line? I don't think so.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I'd like to see LL Sanchez go for the stage win, if he makes it to the front with a lead group he can probably open a gap on the descent and he's lost enough time to be given a long leash by the GC teams.

Pellizotti will give it a go, looks like he sat up early on stage 15 in order to lose even more time, I don't think I've ever seen a real climber work so hard on winning the Polka dots. And I'd expect Feilleu and Martinez to try to cover any Pellizotti attack, but i don't see either of them sticking with him.

Silence and SaxoBank will try to put a rider in the break (Wegelius and Voigt most likely), but as far as GC goes I think if Saxo or Silence try anything Contador will just blow things apart again.

I think Astana have worked out Evans can hold his own if they use the US-Postal/Discovery style high tempo climb, but is in big trouble once the accelerations start. Pity for Lance is he's the same style of climber as Evans so as long as Evans and Sastre are seen as two of the biggest threats Contador will just keep up the vicious accelerations. If Evans and Sastre lose too much time, the tactic will probably swap to high tempo grinds to try to prevent the Schecklet from attacking.

Agree this is mostly to be a KOM stage, and for a breakaway someone not high on GC.

There is hope though that some will throw caution to the wind. I just don't expect it as no one has taken any risks at all in this Tour so far. Zip.

Just like some of the other mountain stages in this year's Tour, this one would have been better if it were backwards.

This stage has a quite similar profile to the stage won by Cyril Dessel last year (which, coincidentally was also Stage 16) after a breakaway. The other breakaway participants were Casar, Popovych, Arroyo, Portal, Hincapie and Valjavec.

I see the same kind of 2nd-tier GC quality riders coming to the fore. If Michael Rogers is feeling alright it is a perfect stage for him.

I don't think guys like Luis Leon Sanchez and Vincezo Nibali would be given much leeway by the peloton if they try to escape early, though they might be able to gain some time on the final descent.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm interested in how Wiggins will go. If he gets dropped and doesn't lose a lot of time then he can desend like a nutcase and get back on.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I saw an interview with the Schleck brothers last night in which they announced that they would try 'something' today. Andy said that he couldn't live with himself if he got to Paris without at least having given an attack on AC his best shot.

I expect to see something of L-L today.

Once again, the organisers missed a trick, here. The could have gone over the Colle San Carlo which abuts Le Petite Bernard. 10% average gradient.

Making the profile look like this:

This would have made it extremely easy to break up the Astana train and turn the stage into a contender attack fest.
As it is, they will probably sit back and let a break go, awaiting tomorrow, which does have a really mean finish.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dadoorsron said:
30 K to the finish. Unless the lead group gets a 2 plus minute lead you will have a large group of riders finishing. Can anyone of the GC contenders get a 2 minute lead on this climb to keep it at the finish line? I don't think so.

I think you can hold a 2 minute lead on tonights descent. It's a lot easier for 1 person to ride solo on a descent than a group. 1 person can corner better than a big group.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Well maybe Menchov can actually do something or drop out either way something happens...

This is a stage where someone who with hopes and dreams but a large deficit should do something but doubtless they will defend their top 10 chances instead.

Who was tipping Moncoutie every day? Has they lost faith?

craig1985 said:
That is insanely brutal. Mellow why aren't you working for ASO?
Well, it's the profile I would expect to see from the Giro organisers. (in a normal Giro)
That's why it's a better race.
The probable difference between the contenders chosing whether or not to contest the stage, or being forced to.

I don't know why the ASO seem to dislike big gradients, but prefer cavalry charges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS