• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread - TdF Stage 4: Team Time Trial (Montpellier - Montpellier 38 km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
All the reports I've seen or heard suggest this isn't your average TTT course.
There is a lot of cornering involved. So deccelerating in and accelerating out
are key.
So, the course seems to favour teams with sprint trains, which means Garmin and Columbia.
Winds speeds could be a major factor, but remain unclear.
Some forecast reports as low as 25kph. Some locals predicting up to 60kph.

I'll guess around the 35-40kph.
In which case, the "chunky" powerhouse riders, (Columbia)will do well, the more rangy (Garmin) less so.

In these conditions, it is certainly possible that Contador will deliberately be "tested" by his own team.
Much as I like Bro's new nickname for Yaroslav, I more inclined simply to call him Lance's Popobi*ch, for both it's accuracy and scanning qualities.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Should be sunny around 30c with a light n/nw, increasing throughout the day. Head wind out, slight tail wind home, early starters should have the best conditions, but the looping nature of the course might even things out.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
are key.
So, the course seems to favour teams with sprint trains, which means Garmin and Columbia.

In which case, the "chunky" powerhouse riders, (Columbia)will do well, the more rangy (Garmin) less so.

In these conditions, it is certainly possible that Contador will deliberately be "tested" by his own team.
Much as I like Bro's new nickname for Yaroslav, I more inclined simply to call him Lance's Popobi*ch, for both it's accuracy and scanning qualities.

I've heard "rollercoaster" to explain the course. There are no less than 10 roundabout in the 39km. A lot of riders will drop off.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
1. Astana

Next group similar times 30-40 secs back on astana
2. Garmin
3. Columbia HTC
4. Saxo

Next group 1.30+ from Astana
5. Liquigas
6. Silence
7. Rabobank

Next Group well back 2.30+
8. Quick Step
9. Cervelo
10. Katusha

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel after yesterday's gaps:

"it would be a good situation if tomorrow, after the team time trial, Cancellara could stay in the jersey. That would help us a lot in the days after the team time trial."

Astana may just play it cool/safe :cool:--if that's possible in a TTT, LOL---and be happy to take time out of Evans, first of all; and some out of Sastre next; and not let Saxo get too much of a gap if they can (ie. manage A. Schleck). So think they will be keying off Saxo's times mainly.

I doubt they care about chest-beating versus Columbia and it's hard to see Van Velde as a contender given how beat up he was after Giro. Maybe wrong, though.... Let Columbia and Garmin fight it out, beat them if you can, but mainly manage Saxo while burying Evans. That should be it.

I notice Bertie yesterday was talking about taking time out of Evans, who he said was difficult to drop. Priority #1.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

"it would be a good situation if tomorrow, after the team time trial, Cancellara could stay in the jersey. That would help us a lot in the days after the team time trial."

Astana may just play it cool/safe :cool:--if that's possible in a TTT, LOL---and be happy to take time out of Evans, first of all; and some out of Sastre next; and not let Saxo get too much of a gap if they can (ie. manage A. Schleck). So think they will be keying off Saxo's times mainly.

I doubt they care about chest-beating versus Columbia and it's hard to see Van Velde as a contender given how beat up he was after Giro. Maybe wrong, though....

I notice Bertie yesterday was talking about taking time out of Evans, who he said was difficult to drop. Priority #1.

Who's Bertie?

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, Alberto, as in "Al-Bertie"... I've seen him called this. Agree: it's a little obscure.

Also: Lance will want to take time out of Evans big time, if he wants to make the podium. I can't see Lance dropping Evans in the mountains, but maybe can hang onto his backwheel. Maybe the best he can hope for.

So Lance and Alberto's interests align here. Also vs. Schleck of course and Sastre.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

Translation

"It's in our interests to smash Rabobank, Silence and Cervelo tomorrow, and that's exactly what we're going to do, in the process we will probably put 40 seconds or so on Saxo as well which, of course will put Lance in the yellow"

subzro said:
1. Astana

Next group similar times 30-40 secs back on astana
2. Garmin
3. Columbia HTC
4. Saxo

Next group 1.30+ from Astana
5. Liquigas
6. Silence
7. Rabobank

Next Group well back 2.30+
8. Quick Step
9. Cervelo
10. Katusha

Don't see Astana getting 30 -40 seconds on columbia and garmain, they may well win but not by that much. Also, if the course is as technical as everyone says the most well drilled teams will fair well - so i'm going for columbia but i've been wrong before.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
subzro said:
Translation

"It's in our interests to smash Rabobank, Silence and Cervelo tomorrow, and that's exactly what we're going to do, in the process we will probably put 40 seconds or so on Saxo as well which, of course will put Lance in the yellow"

LOL, :D

Yes, it's hard to know if some of what comes out of DS's mouths are gambits.

Quite possibly, Lance's final chance for yellow. So his interests might be colliding with the team's here (re burning up team matches for his own prestige before the mountains if he's in yellow). But that's only if Bruyneel is being insincere, or Lance is being insincere with Bruyneel. Ha, ha, ha.

Will be interesting to see if Lance takes some monster pulls today...., LOL.

P.S. Are Rabo darkhorses here? Their guys were TT'ing really well at Dauphine, and maybe Menchov is not burnt out from Giro. Dunno.

Mellow Velo said:
are key.

Winds are currently 8 kph from the WNW.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Columbia ...... how much energy did the expend yesterday? We'll find out today.

Silence Lotto will be a big loser, Evans is likely done.

Rabobank may hold their own, but I suspect their cooked.

Astana will be 8 riders essentially, as they'll drop Muravyev quickly and we'll see what he's made of finishing on his own. He could be out of the race. He barely made it in yesterday. So much for mandated selections.

Leeky-gas could be a surprise.

Parrot23 said:

Yes, it's hard to know if some of what comes out of DS's mouths are gambits.

Quite possibly, Lance's final chance for yellow. So his interests might be colliding with the team's here (re burning up team matches for his own prestige before the mountains if he's in yellow). But that's only if Bruyneel is being insincere, or Lance is being insincere with Bruyneel. Ha, ha, ha.

Will be interesting to see if Lance takes some monster pulls today...., LOL.

P.S. Are Rabo darkhorses here? Their guys were TT'ing really well at Dauphine, and maybe Menchov is not burnt out from Giro. Dunno.

Frankly I don't think JB wants Contador or Lance in yellow yet. Not heading into the Pyrenees. Maybe after Friday, but no sense in wasting energy defending the jersey on the flats.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

I sure hope we can pull a surprise !

Gesink, Clement, Menchov, Posthuma need to be on song

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Amazing, Menchov already on his ***. :rolleyes:

The course is very narrow in parts, more suited to an individual tt - the road surface is also less than ideal in several parts - very difficult to build up or maintain rhythm there - this from the Dutch commentators who rode the stage themselves this morning.

A

Anonymous

lampre already in problems too and then eurosport go to ads :/

time to get a livestream running alongside the telly me thinks..

wow.. found english coms but i dunno who it is.. will work it out next time ES goes to ads..
http://www.justin.tv/oleolep2p1/popout < purely for commentator identification purposes