• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Tour de Suisse

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara will probably lose time, up Crans-Montana, which is a tougher climb than today's. I believe that if Saxobank would ride for Gustav Larsson they would have a really strong contender for the GC don't you think?

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Agree mate very strange indeed.

Having said that the Tour de Suisse isn't particularly tough this year, so that could perhaps be yet another explanation?

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
You mean that they help Cancellara keep on to the yellow here as long as possible, to avoid having to do the same in the Tour? I mean, chances are likely that he's in yellow after the the first stage, and still will be after the TTT. But maybe he would like to hold on to it as long as possible. But in that case, the DS could say: "Sure, defend it as long as you wish, but you'll have to do it without our help. All for Fränk and Andy now, you had your moment of glory in Switzerland."?

Jasper said:
You mean that they help Cancellara keep on to the yellow here as long as possible, to avoid having to do the same in the Tour? I mean, chances are likely that he's in yellow after the the first stage, and still will be after the TTT. But maybe he would like to hold on to it as long as possible. But in that case, the DS could say: "Sure, defend it as long as you wish, but you'll have to do it without our help. All for Fränk and Andy now, you had your moment of glory in Switzerland."?

Cancellara probably thinks he is in good enough form to win the Suisse GC. During the TdF he will ride purely to support the Schlecks. The Schlecks are willing to let Canc have his chance in Switzerland so they can have their chance in France.

I will not be surprised to see the Schlecks do some domestique duty to help Cancellara.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
cycling fraud

As quite a few have observed, this year's Tour de Suisse is just a big joke.

Here the two reasons:

1) Management of the Tour de Suisse is in the hands of IMG, who is also responsible for the management of Cancellara. So clearly, they designed it so easy compared to traditional editions, that their #1 athlete should make it to the top spot, if all goes smoothly.

2) Switzerland hosts the World Cycling Championships this year in Mendrisio. Fäbu really needs to win the Tour de Suisse in order to collect necessary points for Switzerland not just to start with three riders at their home worlds edition.

Sad for cycling. This is even worse than doping. So many great mountains here in Switzerland but not one single difficult stage with more than just one class 1 KOM top or a class 1 KOM at the end (not 70km before the finish line).

:p

la.margna said:
As quite a few have observed, this year's Tour de Suisse is just a big joke.

Here the two reasons:

1) Management of the Tour de Suisse is in the hands of IMG, who is also responsible for the management of Cancellara. So clearly, they designed it so easy compared to traditional editions, that their #1 athlete should make it to the top spot, if all goes smoothly.

2) Switzerland hosts the World Cycling Championships this year in Mendrisio. Fäbu really needs to win the Tour de Suisse in order to collect necessary points for Switzerland not just to start with three riders at their home worlds edition.

Sad for cycling. This is even worse than doping. So many great mountains here in Switzerland but not one single difficult stage with more than just one class 1 KOM top or a class 1 KOM at the end (not 70km before the finish line).

:p

Good post.

It is like the year of the wimp courses. The Giro gets neutered. Suisse is "flat." The TdF is made easy for an old guy coming out of retirement. Now we just have to wait to see what disaster befalls the Vuelta.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Good post.

It is like the year of the wimp courses. The Giro gets neutered. Suisse is "flat." The TdF is made easy for an old guy coming out of retirement. Now we just have to wait to see what disaster befalls the Vuelta.

Vino, Kashechkin and Gusev in an Astana shirt...

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
The first live report is now underway!

Susan

I have paint to watch dry, but thanks anyway. (BTW, this statement is not reflective of cyclingnews commentary, but of the fact that this is the weakest stage in a very weak TdS)

Just heard on Danish TV that Andy Schleck simply just got dropped yesterday. Saxo Bank seem to ride this race just for Cancellara, but even though Andy Schleck didn't have any other explanation than bad legs, there seemed to be no worries....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
Just heard on Danish TV that Andy Schleck simply just got dropped yesterday. Saxo Bank seem to ride this race just for Cancellara, but even though Andy Schleck didn't have any other explanation than bad legs, there seemed to be no worries....

Hmm is this the achilles heel of Andy the Great! That one bad day you can't really get away with? :( Many have gone before him, and in any case, it could be precarious if he once wants to win the TdF (or any other major Big Loop for that matter).

What proof in 3-4 weeks will define if Andy S was dropped yesterday? Can't exactly see the connection...

As odd as it might seem, other riders have had bad days after digging deep in their power reserves the day before. Unless Andy himself tells us othersise, we have no reason not to believe the statement. Regardless, Andy will still be one of the big stars of the upcoming grand tour.

Kazistuta said:

Disturbing for A. Schleck's GT future if it is true, but I am skeptical.

I think that Schleck was put in the break to force other teams to work. The break was not expected to succeed. The team then decided to put Cancellara in the position of team leader by having Andy drop back. Of course the problem with this theory is that if Canc can handle the climbing then he should overtake the Schleck in the ITT, so why order Schleck to lose time?

Maybe Schleck is riding with his blood a unit or two low...

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Don't be daft, if Andy Schleck wins Le Tour by a canter

we can safely assume there was a bit of tactical nous going on.
But spare your wrath, I'm not going to post on here anymore.
Have a nice day

Thoughtforfood said:
I have paint to watch dry, but thanks anyway. (BTW, this statement is not reflective of cyclingnews commentary, but of the fact that this is the weakest stage in a very weak TdS)

Oh, I understood the comment. Your paint was probably a lot more interesting.

It is a real challenge sometime to stay awake myself for such stages, much less try to make it at all interesting for the readers.

Susan

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Oh, I understood the comment. Your paint was probably a lot more interesting.

It is a real challenge sometime to stay awake myself for such stages, much less try to make it at all interesting for the readers.

Susan

Can't you just make something up the first 3 hrs, even if it doesn't refelct reality, it sure makes it a lot more interesting. In the end, you can tune in for the bunch sprint and do some real reporting.

Or better, copy the official ticker... But perhaps that is plagiarism ;)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
points question

Just read the stage 6 Tour de Suisse results. Under points classification two riders have -5 points. Is that a typo or is it actually possible to loose points?

TRENDING THREADS