• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread - World Championships: Elite Men's Road Race 262.2km, Mendrisio

Ok, there is a general Road Race thread but i thought this deserved it's own dedicated thread.

So it has finally rolled around the race we have all been waiting for: The Elite Men's Road Race. Over 260km. So what will happen? Can Fabian Cancellara do the double? Will Cunego clean up like his betting odds suggest? Can Valverde end with the Vuelta and Men's Road Race double? Can Ballan defend his title? Or will there be another suprise winner?

So your wondering about the course it is 19 laps of 13.8km and here it is:

worldsrrmap_600.jpg

worldsrrprofile_600.jpg

The course has a good steep climb in it and another smaller climb toward the finish. Will these be enough to force an elite bunch with the best of the best? Also will the descents play any part? Can time be won or lost here?

Here are the feeds:
http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-uci-road-world-championships.html <- This one has no commentary
http://www.justin.tv/tvseba01/popout <- Dutch Commentary
mms://195.90.118.26/eurosport1_1 <- Type this into your address bar then open it with Windows Media Player or similar program and you can watch British Eurosport live feed
http://www.steephill.tv <- As usual this provides a list of feeds that may or may not work
http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=cycling <- Very similar to steephill as it provides links to all different feeds that again may or may not work. Although this site lets you do it with almost any sport.

Enjoy and post your thoughts......

Thank God the weather looks better than the forcast.
One small crash, so far.
202 riders at the start. Imagine that first decent in the wet!

Samu, obviously looks good, but Cunego can descend with the best.
As we saw, yesterday, a lot time can be accumalitively won or lost
on the descents.
Bike handlers to the fore.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Man, they're going a lot faster than i expected. This will be a slaughterhouse if they don't ease up in the coming rounds.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I wish ASO would use the GPS Time Comparison for the Tour and their other races. Good why of knowing where the break is and how far compared to the leading peloton. Enjoying the lack of commentary ATM.

craig1985 said:
Enjoying the lack of commentary ATM.

I watched the women's time trial without commentary and at first i really liked the change but when things started heating up it was good to have commentators.

mms://195.90.118.26/eurosport1_1

This feed is the best of the ones i posted. It has Dave Harmon & Shaun Kelly commentating, and i really love these guys they make a good team. So it will also help the guy who asked for a UK feed.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I watched the women's time trial without commentary and at first i really liked the change but when things started heating up it was good to have commentators.

This feed is the best of the ones i posted. It has Dave Harmon & Shaun Kelly commentating, and i really love these guys they make a good team. So it will also help the guy who asked for a UK feed.

The problem is for me is that it stop and starts, whereas the no commentary one just runs without any problems. I'm not fussed if it is in English or not, I'm going to know for instance if Valverde or Cunego make an attack.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
There is lots of looking at each other and waiting going on in the peleton at the moment...They don't seem too concerned at this point about the break away, clearly they don't rate the riders in it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Andre Greipel (Germany), Yukiya Arashiro (Japan), Matija Kvasina (Croatia), Christoph Sokoll (Austria), Peter Kusztor (Hungary), Jan Barta (Czech Republic), Gorazd Stangelj (Slovenia), Mauricio Ardila (Columbia), Olegs Melehs (Latvia) and Volodymyr Zagorodny (Ukraine).

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:

Thanks a million 'El Imbatido" - yes, this is the one I am using. It does stop ocassionally but the commentary is excellent.

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
one of the italians has droppped out of the squad... :eek:
http://ow.ly/rftO

just twittered by cw... (read the article carefully)

actually sod it, have a screen grab for posterity..

one of the most wildly innacurate program previews ever i think...

rk8wgm.png

and this is why when someone suggested wiggo was interviewed by a "good" interviewer i laughed.. the bbc know about as much about cycling as my mother..

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

rk8wgm.png

and this is why when someone suggested wiggo was interviewed by a "good" interviewer i laughed.. the bbc know about as much about cycling as my mother..

Wow - thats a big blow to the Italian team - that Condator guy sounds like he could have done well.
Maybe Cav will lead out Wiggo - who will win on his TT bike?!
I am suprised they didnt give Chris Hoy a mention....

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Our new 24 Hour Sports channel in Australia, (ONE), described the great 4th place by "Kristin Armstrong Lance's ex-wife" on the news tonight, they are showing the race live, hopefully not with their commentators.:D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

rk8wgm.png

laugh.gif

powderpuff said:
Our new 24 Hour Sports channel in Australia, (ONE), described the great 4th place by "Kristin Armstrong Lance's ex-wife" on the news tonight, they are showing the race live, hopefully not with their commentators.:D

I heard that too and almost pissed myself laughing. It happened on Sports Tonight. I think ONE HD who are the ones showing it live, have Liggett and Matt Keenan as commentators.

TRENDING THREADS