• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

nayr497 said:
Shhhheeeeit, and a baseball cap on the podium to rub it in...
when the hair plugs fallout cos they are also susceptible to the alpha reductese hormone and doping allergies for androgens a cycling cap just wont do it it must be a baseball cap but the new era cap has yet whore its flat peak out like hiphop dudes in 90s

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Wearing baseball caps instead of good old cycling caps is surely indicative of doping

_77586156_valverdefroomecontadorepa.jpg

Valverde has obviously always been dirty but the way most of his rivals race it makes things easy for him. He only needed to counter one move and then sprint for the win. If they raced like this when he was young, I doubt his palmares would say he's better than ever right now.

Re:

Valverde has podiumed all but 1 major hills race he has done since the turn of the decade. The only one he didn't was his first one back from holiday when a crash took him out of contention.

Podium 4 out of 5 Liege
podium 3 out of 3 World championships
Podium 2 out of 2 Giro di Lombarida.

Total - 9 out of 10.

He has also podiumed 3 out of 3 Vueltas.

The consistency is insane.

The good thing about Valverde winning though is that it shows everyone how full of *** the sport is. the andrew hoods and carlton kirby's and all the other hypocrites of this world who want to claim the sport is fully clean, just have to shut up on a day like today. Sweet.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, some commentators don't shut up. They will insinuate that he must be doping, when on happier days that had more palatable winners, passing the tests is all the proof we needed to believe a rider is clean.

Re:

hrotha said:
Valverde has obviously always been dirty but the way most of his rivals race it makes things easy for him. He only needed to counter one move and then sprint for the win. If they raced like this when he was young, I doubt his palmares would say he's better than ever right now.

pretty much what I think, always talented wanted the top up took it now finding hes still good now reaping the benefits of a good based and the past yrs enhancements

I seriously doubt Valverde is racing clean. Anyone think the guys bunched around him are clean? If one accepts that he's probably dirty, and that he's been a top talent since his youth racing days where he crushed everyone, what does that say about the ~20 guys finishing within striking distance? Clean?

Here are the guys who finished within a minute after 253km and 10 climbs:

1. Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE, MOVISTAR TEAM, in 6:14:20
2. Julian ALAPHILIPPE, ETIXX – QUICK STEP, at :00
3. Joaquin RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, TEAM KATUSHA, at :00
4. Rui Alberto FARIA DA COSTA, LAMPRE – MERIDA, at :00
5. Roman KREUZIGER, TINKOFF – SAXO, at :00
6. Romain BARDET, AG2R LA MONDIALE, at :00
7. Sergio Luis HENAO MONTOYA, TEAM SKY, at :00
8. Domenico POZZOVIVO, AG2R LA MONDIALE, at :00
9. Jakob FUGLSANG, ASTANA PRO TEAM, at :00
10. Daniel MORENO FERNANDEZ, TEAM KATUSHA, at :00
11. Louis MEINTJES, MTN – QHUBEKA, at :10
12. Lars Petter NORDHAUG, TEAM SKY, at :10
13. Vincenzo NIBALI, ASTANA PRO TEAM, at :24
14. Pieter WEENING, ORICA GreenEDGE, at :24
15. Giampaolo CARUSO, TEAM KATUSHA, at :24
16. Enrico GASPAROTTO, WANTY – GROUPE GOBERT, at :24
17. Julien SIMON, COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS, at :32
18. Robert KISERLOVSKI, TINKOFF – SAXO, at :44
19. Vasil KIRYIENKA, TEAM SKY, at :52
20. Tony GALLOPIN, LOTTO SOUDAL, at :58
21. Michal KWIATKOWSKI, ETIXX – QUICK STEP, at :58

If Valverde is currently doping, does anyone think it's reasonable to finish within a minute of him on this course, in these conditions, raced the way this one was?

I don't think it's likely at all. Possible? I think on a good day a top talent could maybe have finished with this group clean. Maybe.

Other thoughts?

Re: Re:

manafana said:
hrotha said:

pretty much what I think, always talented wanted the top up took it now finding hes still good now reaping the benefits of a good based and the past yrs enhancements
So if valverde is better clean than he was doped does that mean drugs dont work?

Edit, nvm. Forgot that you never respond when your arguments get called out.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Does LBL have the most shameful record of any classic?

Valverde x 3
Vino x 2
Hamilton
Di Lica
Rebellin
Iglinsky
Camenzind
Vandenbroucke
(Winners who have been sanctioned for doping violations.) That accounts for 11 editions since 1999

It's a roll call of shame. No other monument has quite such a litany of dopers on its list of winner in recent years.

TRENDING THREADS