• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Valverde is a living proof that transfusing blood helps an athlete stay young at later stages of life and career long after he quit the blood-doping period.

He probably never quit to begin with.

His actual "talent" is probably not nearly as impressive as his fans think it is. Not many cheaters in this sport can rely on a team that supports them all the way, even after they have been caught. Movistar should get a lot more flack for that, but everyone gives them a free pass.

You have a point, but actually most WT teams need much more flack. The people who worked or rode during the so called heyday of the doping days are still working in various teams like Astana, Quick Step, Bahrain-Merida, BMC and more. I am already sceptical when 'clean' teams like Sunweb talk about a cultural shift but with these teams I'm quite sure there rarely has been a shift at all.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
How much lighter is he than he average classics rider? 10 kilos/20 pounds? 15/30 pounds kilos?

It's a bit weird that he can sit with Terpstra, GVA, Sep and Stybar on the cobbles without having any experience on them.
There were only 6km of cobbles yesterday, the rest was pretty much an Amstel Gold Race parcours. I doubt he'd be anywhere near those guys in Roubaix.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
OMG this is a gift that keeps on giving. Is there anyone else in the peloton that is so juiced up? What are the chances this cheat will ever get busted? I guess since Piti is not chalenging the GTs and already served some time he gets a free card huh? I have to give to him, he got his “program” figured out and even the SKY boys have a lot to learn from this old school doper.

I love it. His continuing amazing performances make it obvious to anyone willing to connect the dots about the doping problem in cycling. I was really upset when he crashed at the TDF... would have loved to see him on the podium in that race. Maybe this year. He's an inspiration in more ways than one.

I'm honestly not sure why I enjoy seeing him win, (I hate doping) but it's something to do with exposing the hypocrisy of how cycling is supposedly clean these days, and him beating hypocritical doped teams. I never saw Valverde as one of the insiders, corrupting the system like US Postal or Sky, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how he succeeds if he doesn't have inside backing within the UCI.

Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
Was van Avermaet ever seriously questioned for his connection with a doping doctor? Gilbert for the alleged cortisone abuse within Lotto. Boonen ever questioned for riding his whole career for the doping infested US Postal and Lefevere teams? As long as the riders deny and tell the media that in cobbled classics doping is not needed, Belgian cycling still has a problem. Museeuw was caught and all he admitted was that it was during the end of his career. I don't know why the Belgian people believed him, but they like to look the other way.

Yes, but the newspapers got sued because there was lack of proof. Obviously you need proof if you want to crucify someone. Museeuw was ages ago.
Do you actually believe that the QS boys are clean?

Most of the discussion is BS. I want to know what these guys are on. I love Valverde, he has grown on me over the years. It is not like the guys he is beating is clean anyway. Is he microdosing year around @ 11 PM to beat the passport system ? No blood bags because that would be too much of a boost of red blood cells to beat the biopassport ? I don`t think he is doing test at all.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
Was van Avermaet ever seriously questioned for his connection with a doping doctor? Gilbert for the alleged cortisone abuse within Lotto. Boonen ever questioned for riding his whole career for the doping infested US Postal and Lefevere teams? As long as the riders deny and tell the media that in cobbled classics doping is not needed, Belgian cycling still has a problem. Museeuw was caught and all he admitted was that it was during the end of his career. I don't know why the Belgian people believed him, but they like to look the other way.

Yes, but the newspapers got sued because there was lack of proof. Obviously you need proof if you want to crucify someone. Museeuw was ages ago.

This is the Valverde thread. Stop deflecting all the time.

Fact is Valverde was involved with Operacion Puerto and later got busted for BLOOD DOPING. That's TWO offences.

Fact is Valverde never apologized or admitted guilt.

Fact is Valverde bullied other riders to keep the Omerta in place.

Fact is Movistar supported Valverde financially during his ban. He could also train together with them and make use of their equipment.

Fact is Valverde is still a dirty cheater, coward and wheel-sucker (his worst crime).

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:

Fact is Valverde was involved with Operacion Puerto and later got busted for BLOOD DOPING. That's TWO offences.

Fact is Movistar supported Valverde financially during his ban. He could also train together with them and make use of their equipment.

Fact is Valverde is still a dirty cheater, coward and wheel-sucker (his worst crime).

I agree with you on everything except the last point. First when you say that he is a wheel sucker, I would say that is subjective so... not a fact. Second, you can´t say that he is currently a cheater and call it a fact, yes in the previous points you are right, he was indeed caught in previous doping scandals and was always supported by the team so that you can consider facts, but although I also think is very plausible for him to be doping now, we can´t say that that is a fact

El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:

He got suspended for the Puerto blood bag; not busted for BLOOD DOPING later.

Re:

Serpentin said:
Most of the discussion is BS. I want to know what these guys are on. I love Valverde, he has grown on me over the years. It is not like the guys he is beating is clean anyway. Is he microdosing year around @ 11 PM to beat the passport system ? No blood bags because that would be too much of a boost of red blood cells to beat the biopassport ? I don`t think he is doing test at all.

I thought it has been discussed conclusively in The Clinic that you can use blood bags with the passport at only low to moderate risk? Didn't Horner's and Hesjudal's blood values suggest blood bags used during a winning grand tour?

spiritualride said:
Serpentin said:

I thought it has been discussed conclusively in The Clinic that you can use blood bags with the passport at only low to moderate risk? Didn't Horner's and Hesjudal's blood values suggest blood bags used during a winning grand tour?
Horner and Hesjadal's performances certainly suggested that they used something, but I'm not aware of any evidence of BB use in any released blood profiles. Perhaps Merckx Index or Andy Coggin know better?

Irondan said:
spiritualride said:
Serpentin said:

Horner and Hesjadal's performances certainly suggested that they used something, but I'm not aware of any evidence of BB use in any released blood profiles. Perhaps Merckx Index or Andy Coggin know better?
Horner passport showed a rebound of his Hgb during the race (while you would expect it to be on a more or less constant downward trend) and reticulocyte suppression, both those combined smells like a blood bag.
See http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/63542182838/analysis-horners-biopassport-data for a more in-depth analysis.
I agree with you on everything except the last point. First when you say that he is a wheel sucker, I would say that is subjective so... not a fact. Second, you can´t say that he is currently a cheater and call it a fact, yes in the previous points you are right, he was indeed caught in previous doping scandals and was always supported by the team so that you can consider facts, but although I also think is very plausible for him to be doping now, we can´t say that that is a fact
He is faster than he ever was up Huy at 35+ and comparatively stronger during the third week/on high mountain GT stages than when we knew he was blood doping heavily, seems rather unlikely to do that clean...

El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:

That was ONE offense. Operation Puerto WAS the blood bag.

As for your last comments those are strictly your opinion.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:

They also found EPO in the blood bags, so multiple offences. Should've been given a 4 year ban at least.

ColonelKidneyBeans said:
Irondan said:
spiritualride said:
Serpentin said:

Horner passport showed a rebound of his Hgb during the race (while you would expect it to be on a more or less constant downward trend) and reticulocyte suppression, both those combined smells like a blood bag.
See http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/63542182838/analysis-horners-biopassport-data for a more in-depth analysis.
He is faster than he ever was up Huy at 35+ and comparatively stronger during the third week/on high mountain GT stages than when we knew he was blood doping heavily, seems rather unlikely to do that clean...
Thanks CKB! I knew someone would know better than me. :D

El Pistolero said:
Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:

They also found EPO in the blood bags, so multiple offences. Should've been given a 4 year ban at least.[/quote]

One offense as it was all connected to Operation Puerto.

ColonelKidneyBeans said:
Irondan said:
spiritualride said:
Serpentin said:

Is he really stronger compared to his Kelme days? Or 2005 TDF until he crashed out? I very much doubt that.

For his Huy record, I think one possible reason is that they climb the Huy in a linear pace until 100-125m to go in recent years, so that might contribute his record on Huy.

burning said:
ColonelKidneyBeans said:
Irondan said:
spiritualride said:
Serpentin said:

Is he really stronger compared to his Kelme days? Or 2005 TDF until he crashed out? I very much doubt that.

For his Huy record, I think one possible reason is that they climb the Huy in a linear pace until 100-125m to go in recent years, so that might contribute his record on Huy.
He is more consistent during the third week than before (at least in France), when blood doping gives you the biggest boost, make of that what you will... And frankly, do you believe that a clean older athlete will be able to beat his past fuentes fuelled, younger self, regardless of how Huy his ridden? Are we really going to argue that Valverde is clean now?

Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
We're mostly arguing whether there is reason to assume that he is, and ever has been, less clean than other high profile riders.
I don't think he is any more dirty than the others top level cyclists, he just had the misfortune of being caught, but i also think that he is responding very well to his programme, the way he seems ageless is truly incredible, he hasn't lost much of his explosiveness, only his flat sprint has gotten a bit worse, and he will soon be 38.

ColonelKidneyBeans said:
burning said:
ColonelKidneyBeans said:
Irondan said:
spiritualride said:

He is more consistent during the third week than before (at least in France), when blood doping gives you the biggest boost, make of that what you will... And frankly, do you believe that a clean older athlete will be able to beat his past fuentes fuelled, younger self, regardless of how Huy his ridden? Are we really going to argue that Valverde is clean now?

I am not arguing that he is clean by any means, but I find it hard to believe that he is stronger compared to his pre Puerto days, where he had access to more stuff and he was 10-12 years younger.

I am not arguing that he is clean by any means, but I find it hard to believe that he is stronger compared to his pre Puerto days, where he had access to more stuff and he was 10-12 years younger.
No i don't think that he is stronger than his best pre puerto days in pure aerobic capacity, (courchevel was something else ofc) but he surely is more consistent and stronger at the end of a GT than pre puerto, and we have data that proves that his capacity on shorter efforts hasn't regressed at all and might even have improved, which doesn't make any sense for a clean older athlete.

Re:

spiritualride said:
I love it. His continuing amazing performances make it obvious to anyone willing to connect the dots about the doping problem in cycling. I was really upset when he crashed at the TDF... would have loved to see him on the podium in that race. Maybe this year. He's an inspiration in more ways than one.

I'm honestly not sure why I enjoy seeing him win, (I hate doping) but it's something to do with exposing the hypocrisy of how cycling is supposedly clean these days, and him beating hypocritical doped teams. I never saw Valverde as one of the insiders, corrupting the system like US Postal or Sky, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how he succeeds if he doesn't have inside backing within the UCI.

Its not so much about him as his bosses Unzue and Echavarri. They have survived the Bruyneels and Manolo Saizs of this world whilst spearheading clients like Indurain to the hall of fame where everybody have either admitted or been busted.

Now watch how they take on their most laughable prospect yet, 38 year former cheat Valverde, into new heights while running away with it. Not only that but with enhanced legacy. We all love Piti right?

Dark magic of Unzue at work.

TRENDING THREADS