• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wva is a bigger talent than Vingo. I just said it.
This is true for me too. Make no mistakes about it, Wva is no where near Vdp level in pure power or strenght, flats or whatever in my opinion in classics, Vdp is simply on another level thats pretty clear for me over the years but Wva is for me aswell a bigger talent than Vinge.

Wva in a team in a GT wheres the stages are not that hard as classics/monuments in a team he can hunt stages whenever he wants the entire grand tour would be a beatiful thing to watch and would play right into his talent. Jack of all trades at a insane high level!

Reactions: scribers
Wva is a bigger talent than Vingo. I just said it. Yet, managment plugges Wout into a wattage plan last year for a lesser talent to win the overall of the biggest race on the calendar
This is apples and oranges. Wout has the same chance of ever winning the TDF as Vingo does of winning a cobbled classic or cyclocross WC.
Though to be fair Wout has a better chance of winning TDF than Van der Poel.

Reactions: Gratemans
This is apples and oranges. Wout has the same chance of ever winning the TDF as Vingo does of winning a cobbled classic or cyclocross WC.
Though to be fair Wout has a better chance of winning TDF than Van der Poel.
For sure, but that wasn't the point I was making. Wout was used as a watt machine to get Vingo a win. What did wout come away with and what has he accomplished the last 2 years + this year? Not near what we should expect from him. He dictates every race he is in and is always a factor.

This is true for me too. Make no mistakes about it, Wva is no where near Vdp level in pure power or strenght, flats or whatever in my opinion in classics, Vdp is simply on another level thats pretty clear for me over the years but Wva is for me aswell a bigger talent than Vinge.

Wva in a team in a GT wheres the stages are not that hard as classics/monuments in a team he can hunt stages whenever he wants the entire grand tour would be a beatiful thing to watch and would play right into his talent. Jack of all trades at a insane high level!
Right! Even him stage hunting on all terrains and contesting for the green jersey was fabulous to watch.

For sure, but that wasn't the point I was making. Wout was used as a watt machine to get Vingo a win. What did wout come away with and what has he accomplished the last 2 years + this year? Not near what we should expect from him. He dictates every race he is in and is always a factor.
I was responding to your statement "WVA is a bigger talent than Vingo" and not the other sillyness in your post. Professional athletes are paid to do what the team needs them to do. Stef Curry does not post up in front of the basket and wait for the alleyoop pass.

How about he won three stages, came second six times (one of which the St Gervais Mt Blanc stage), and took a green jersey? Not too shabby in my book..

Reactions: jmdirt and scribers
Your facts are devastating to my position
Well thank you. The point I'm making is: Van Aert gets judged waaay to much on what he might be able to achieve if he wasn't just held back by the evil powers that be, who forced him to support GC riders in the Tour.

Some people get so worked up about that fact, that they kind of seem to ignore, or just aren't able to see anymore, what he actually has accomplashed, while comfortably bringing his teammate multiple TDF victories.

(I'm not really a Van Aert fan either btw. I just think people expect things from him he's not capable of, and ignore the huge accomplishments he did deliver. I'm also convinced he will one day win PR. Mind you: he'll then have won Ventoux, Champs d'Elysee and PR. Just ponder that for a second.)

He's also paid the be that Jack of All Trades to get his team GT wins. MvP cannot do that and is still a great team talent for fast leadouts. Very similar team responsibilities that they deliver on repeatedly but different chessboards. Have a mini-GT with alternating cyclocross and alpine stages to see those differences.

Reactions: jmdirt
He rides an XC bike with aero road wheels wtf
9xglne-AYr-B071-NSvz-QY3-Akyx-Z4wig-DUAv-Bvp-8ar8-JA-2048x1190.jpg