• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oh dear Valverde!

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Really? Really? You're playing up the card that Valverde winning prologues and sprinting up mountains is an inconsistency for him? Notwithstanding that this was the Ruta del Sol so the guys he was out-TTing were guys like Spilak and sprinters, not Cancellara and Wiggins, the guy has always been about hill finishes and winning the sprint of the guys left at the top of the mountain, and has also always been pretty useful in a short TT.

7th, País Vasco 2003, stage 5b (13km)
9th, País Vasco 2004, stage 6 (9km) - first 6 there? Julich, Hamilton, Rogers, Menchov, Leipheimer & Mayo :)
2nd, País Vasco 2006, stage 6 (24km)
2nd, Romandie 2006, prologue (3,4km)
7th, Dauphiné 2006, prologue (4,1km)
5th, Tour de France 2006, prologue (7,1km) - Wiggins was 16th, for the record
1st, Vuelta a Murcía 2007, stage 4 (23,3km)
2nd, Critérium International 2007, stage 3 (8,3km)
5th, País Vasco 2007, stage 6 (14km)
1st, Alcobendas 2007 stage 3 (9,7km)
5th, Dauphiné 2007, prologue (4,2km)
1st, Burgos 2007, prologue (15km)
1st, Murcía 2008, stage 4 (23,3km)
3rd, Dauphiné 2008, prologue (5,6km)
3rd, Romandie 2009, prologue (3,1km)
2nd, Catalunya 2009, prologue (3,6km)
3rd, Dauphiné 2009, stage 1 (12,1km)
2nd, Madrid 2009, stage 1 (8,1km) - LOL at Héctor Guerra's time in this one, by the way
4th, Burgos 2009, stage 4 (15km)
9th, Vuelta 2009, stage 1 (4,8km)

Valverde has always been pretty decent in a short time trial. Even post-suspension, his times were only poor in the Tour, he was decent elsewhere. No longer posting top 5 times or anything, but enough to say against an early season form competition that isn't all that strong he could still compete for the win. It isn't shocking to see him performing like this, dope or no dope.

He's also never been clean in his life - except when he crosses the French border and then the only jersey he wears is the Maillot Merde.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
And the fact is, he has never actually won the prologue - until now, when he's a year older, had a run in with the anti-doping rules but most importantly:

HE WON THIS STAGE RACE LAST YEAR!!? :eek:

Doesn't he know that if you follow the same program, and do the same races, there's tonnes and tonnes of pressure and likelihood of comparison with your performance from the year before!?

And that if you don't win it will be like the world has ended!!?

How could Valverde possibly race the same race as last year!!?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Piti should just curl up in front of the fireplace in his home, and never, ever, dare to disgrace the sport of cycling by attending any race again, be it as a competitor or spectator. He is so utterly disqualified by dragging his feet, failing to own up to the truth, and perpetuating a lie, as well as being a true poster-boy for everything that is wrong with sports in general in Spain. F U Piti!

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Why? It's not like most dopers are talentless hacks. They do have that base talent so even clean they still perform most of them

I don't know, he's got to to be 38-39 and now he's slowly rising back up to the top of the sport. I think he's probably still doped to the gills.

Tom T. said:
I don't know, he's got to to be 38-39 and now he's slowly rising back up to the top of the sport. I think he's probably still doped to the gills.

Rebellin's 41. And while he probably is still doped to the gills, can we really say that coming 9th in the Ruta del Sol while riding for CCC Polsat-Polkowice is the peak of the sport?

It's like the whole "Schumacher up to his old tricks again" when he won 2 of the first 3 stages of Asturias a couple of years ago. While Miche had a horrendous track record for having dopers riding (Muto tested positive at that race, and was promptly replaced in the squad by Rebellin), Stefan Schumacher beating guys like Hugo Sabido, Sergey Shilov and an aging José Iván Gutiérrez by a handful of seconds is not on the same level as self-same Stefan Schumacher stomping Cancellara by half a minute in the Tour de France. When CCC get invited to a major race in April and Rebellin finishes top 10 we can talk, but right now it's February and he's on a Polish team that only just made the ProConti stakes.

Dear Wiggo said:
And the fact is, he has never actually won the prologue - until now, when he's a year older, had a run in with the anti-doping rules but most importantly:

I think I remember Valverde beating Hushovd in the prologue of some race in 2008. And he podiumed them a lot. + it makes sense that Valverde does well in prologues because hes a very good sprinter and a decent tter. In fact a very good tter when it comes to week long races. Probably because he keeps a high peak year round.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Why? It's not like most dopers are talentless hacks. They do have that base talent so even clean they still perform most of them

The only "ex-" doper that in my opinion is most likely clean now is Thomas Dekker. :eek:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If you think about it if there any year you could dope it would be 2013 pre any T&R, its all going to come out (they say) so why not do it now and get your wins and fame/fortune now? It will all be wiped clean anyway, have at it. Any rider not taking the opportunity is just not that smart, really. If T&R doesn't come out, no loss either, its the unaccountable year!

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Boy. You think Merckx is still doping?

Dave.

Hahaha.

While I don't think he meant for his post to be interpreted to include anyone other than current riders, I'd almost be willing to bet that Merckx takes more meds now then when he was riding (he certainly looks like he needs them these days).

The Hitch said:
I think I remember Valverde beating Hushovd in the prologue of some race in 2008. And he podiumed them a lot. + it makes sense that Valverde does well in prologues because hes a very good sprinter and a decent tter. In fact a very good tter when it comes to week long races. Probably because he keeps a high peak year round.

The first stage of 2008 TdF was a road stage to Plumelec IIRC. Hushovd then won stage 2 into St-Brieuc

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
The Hitch said:

And not a bad hill climber. Better at TTs than Hushovd, no question. In prologues they're relatively evenly matched - according to CQ.

ttvalverdevshushovd.png

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Rebellin's 41. And while he probably is still doped to the gills, can we really say that coming 9th in the Ruta del Sol while riding for CCC Polsat-Polkowice is the peak of the sport?

It's like the whole "Schumacher up to his old tricks again" when he won 2 of the first 3 stages of Asturias a couple of years ago. While Miche had a horrendous track record for having dopers riding (Muto tested positive at that race, and was promptly replaced in the squad by Rebellin), Stefan Schumacher beating guys like Hugo Sabido, Sergey Shilov and an aging José Iván Gutiérrez by a handful of seconds is not on the same level as self-same Stefan Schumacher stomping Cancellara by half a minute in the Tour de France. When CCC get invited to a major race in April and Rebellin finishes top 10 we can talk, but right now it's February and he's on a Polish team that only just made the ProConti stakes.

I said "slowly rising to the peak of the sport", not at the peak of the sport.

So we're all good with a notorious 41 year doped to the gills if he comes in 9th? We'll ring the alarms only when he starts winning races?

Anyway, you're probably right, he'll most likely fade out. I just thought I'd throw that out there and see what people think about his presence.

Tom T. said:
I said "slowly rising to the peak of the sport", not at the peak of the sport.

So we're all good with a notorious 41 year doped to the gills if he comes in 9th? We'll ring the alarms only when he starts winning races?

Anyway, you're probably right, he'll most likely fade out. I just thought I'd throw that out there and see what people think about his presence.

There are many, many dopers in the Peloton today, the majority of which have never been banned or stripped of results. Rebellin is not a factor moving forward unless somebody decides to offer him a job as DS.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
And not a bad hill climber. Better at TTs than Hushovd, no question. In prologues they're relatively evenly matched - according to CQ.

ttvalverdevshushovd.png

Hushovd once said that his palmares would be much better today if the other riders like Armstrong weren't on all that stuff.

Libertine Seguros said:
*Italian.

Last time I checked Valverde has been pretty good in France for most of his career.

So LS, do you thimk Valverde is clean since his comeback or not?

And why when there is DNA evidence linking him to BB is he still denying it, the Basso defence, or because he is not an anglo amd specifically non-British does he just have a natural talent

del1962 said:
So LS, do you thimk Valverde is clean since his comeback or not?

And why when there is DNA evidence linking him to BB is he still denying it, the Basso defence, or because he is not an anglo amd specifically non-British does he just have a natural talent

LS will have his own answer of cause.

Here is mine.
Too many drinks, way too may drinks?
Ever smoked a joint?
Popped a pill?
Snorting a line?

Well perhaps there is some hope.

Inject heroin in the vein and you're done. In 98% of cases. No way back, ever.

Same situation with dopers in sport.

Once a rider inject EPO and blood directly into the vein in a crap hotel in France, they are done. No way back.

Valverde will always be a doper. He is not a dull doper, but a doper nonetheless.

valverde is most likely as doped now as he was in 2008,2009 and 2010.

he has been under severe pressure from the authorities since 2006, why do you think his 2007 season was so average? compared to his previous seasons obviously. he clearly had to tune it down after OP and even tho he had a lot of attention on him, he still was never caught.

imo in 2007 valverde was as "pan y agua" as it gets with him, after he saw that he "got away" with OP he got back on a full program but a less riskier one then the one he had before OP and he kept it all the way to 2010.

never caught and at a high level, but not the level he had pre OP.

i also think LS shares a similar opinion to this but i won't put words in his month.

Mr.DNA said:
All I can do is shake my head and wonder why I still follow this sport.

-----------
Agreed !

When watching the GT's there's now always the assumption at the back of one's mind, that at least the competition for overall victory is more of a pharmaceutical competition than anything else.

Still watching when I have the time though.

TRENDING THREADS