• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Okay, let's give him that thread: Colbrelli, you deserve it

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For the record: there is honestly nothing sarcastic about this thread on my part if there was doubt about it.
You have a thing for Italian semi sprinters though. The kind that turns out being better at doing other things compared to sprinting.

Back to Colbrelli: he was always a decent climber but he's been on a whole different level since last year's Tour de France. He wasn't as visible as he's been yesterday because he was always used as a helper for Landa but I remember him being in some very selected groups in a couple mountain stages.

He obviously enjoys bad weather:
View: https://twitter.com/matmohoric/status/1411750669518770179?s=19

I wish he could bring these legs to his spring campaign at least once in his career. He loves Flanders and he used to have a fan club there (don't know if still active).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Colbrelli doesnt really have a leadout or many guys to help him. Only Mohoric. And even though Mohoric is Mohoric. Can’t compete with other teams in terms of getting into position. Probably has to spend a lot of energy on his own. And he was caught up in one of the stages with Roglic.

He might have more luck in the coming weeks with some sprinters leaving the race. Less hectic. Not that many teams interested or involved.

Colbrelli doesnt really have a leadout or many guys to help him. Only Mohoric. And even though Mohoric is Mohoric. Can’t compete with other teams in terms of getting into position. Probably has to spend a lot of energy on his own. And he was caught up in one of the stages with Roglic.

He might have more luck in the coming weeks with some sprinters leaving the race. Less hectic. Not that many teams interested or involved.
Haller too.

Back to Colbrelli: he was always a decent climber but he's been on a whole different level since last year's Tour de France. He wasn't as visible as he's been yesterday because he was always used as a helper for Landa but I remember him being in some very selected groups in a couple mountain stages.

Didn't he ride on front and made quite the selection on one of the last climb in one stage in last year Tour, when Bahrain wanted to set up Landa (it failed ofcourse)?

I thought with his form Colbrelli would go closer in the flat sprint finishes rather than do something like this.

Instead he is doiing worse in bunch sprints (5th, 11th and 11th) and this in the mountains. Bizarre.

It will be very hard to beat Cavendish for green with 50pts available for stage wins and Colbrelli taking results like that.

Just a hunch, but I think Bahrain's training methods improve endurance and climbing but don't have much impact on sprinting.

No he didn't, he was glued on Evenepoel's wheel at >30 km/h, so he didn't have to match his numbers.
That's true. At approximately 34km/h behind a rider with an incredibly low CdA he would still have some aero advantage. Whether it matters at all when pointing out how insane the effort was for a rider of his type, is a different matter of course. But he didn't have to match his numbers.