• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Caruut said:
I would have the only hill being a bridge over a motorway.

The course was about as suited for Cav as it could have been without being a bare-faced fix. In the end I thought it was a great race, and I was glad to see GB taken down a peg.

Nah. That course was more complex than people gave it credit for. 9 times over Box Hill with 4 guys to control it for Cav was always going to be very difficult. I wanted GB & Cav to win but I do hope GB learn lessons from the event

Frosty said:
Yeah i know he rides for Sky - but would they, or just see the name of the country?
They'd probably mis-spell that.
Arnout said:
Where's Niemiec? He really went backwards at Lampre, didn't he.

This isn't a Niemiec race. He's an out-and-out climber.

I'd argue that it's only this year he's gone backwards, and even then it's hard to tell whether it's specifically him that's gone backwards. He was excellent last year as Scarponi's lieutenant, so much of the time this year the question is, was his performance where it was because of Scarponi's lesser performance as well?

If not then, well, they did get him from Miche, and he had been performing really well in a Continental team for a few years without making that step up, so perhaps there's your answer.

from cav "Other teams were content that if they didn't win, we wouldn't win," said Cavendish.

"The crowd was tremendous, but the Aussies just raced negatively

hahah :rolleyes: what a tool,atleast the aussie were in with a chance with 2km to go for a medal...

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
greenedge better then some said:
from cav "Other teams were content that if they didn't win, we wouldn't win," said Cavendish.

hahah :rolleyes: what a tool,atleast the aussie were in with a chance with 2km to go for a medal...

Yeh, O'Grady who?
I remember him winning The Classic.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
What a cheek Cav has,. Oz raced negatively? they had a rider in the break from the start, but of course Cav would need to take his face out of Eisels **** to see them going up the road, as for GB, totally negative ride on the front all day ,
but dont attack and only ride the last 200mtrs and you should get gold.........

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Agree, I've just watched him having a hissy fit on BBC, like a spoilt child who did not get his own way. The other boys would not play his game.

Can't understand why Sir Mathew Pinsent had to interview his page 3 partner for her cycling analysis during the race.

Isn't negative riding all wiggins and Sky did in the tour?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

crying%20baby.jpg

Cav is the self-confessed world's best sprinter. To think that Australia was going to help him win is hilarious. Australia also had a guy up the road who has a decent finish.

btw, GB 0 Gold 0 Medals. Aus 1 Gold 1 Medal! :D

Well done to Vino, really happy he won that out of all that were left in the break, gutted for Cancellara as I thought he would have been close but thats racing. Vino using his experience on Uran in the final sprint.

From a British point of view couldn't fault the effort of Team GB but the final breakaway launched at just the right time. Suprised Germany didn't offer more help to set it up for Greipel they seemed to only want to fully commit in the final 25km, by then it was gone.

All in all a very good race.

Normandy said:
Isn't negative riding all wiggins and Sky did in the tour?

Yes, but people don't question it when they're winning. It's like José Mourinho and his merry band of 1-0 wins: assemble squad of insanely talented players, then have them play the most atrociously dull, negative football. Then win, so the fans don't complain. Notwithstanding that awareness of cycling is on the up in the UK and there are plenty of fans that know a lot about the sport, the majority of people who watch an Olympics catch-up show for their coverage aren't the people who follow the sport religiously; those were either on the roadside or watching the coverage live. The people following this cos of the Olympics and cos of recent British success, they don't know that Sky rode negatively and made the Tour dull, because they don't know what an exciting bike race looks like.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Today, I saw an arrogant and tactically naive race by GB. I also saw a great race - it was a rare chance to see genuine legends of my favourite sport going head to head live.

Most British people saw a valiant and heroic effort that fell short not one that was doomed to failure from the start the way they laid out their cards from the start.

In the end, I think everyone went home happy. My relatives spent all day chiding me for supporting Fabian, not Cav, yet they all loved it. Like I said up thread, there was applause in the bar I watched the final 10km in as Vino crossed the line.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
i like Cav a lot, but...

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish

Gutted. After 250km, less than a minute to 20guys. My guys were INCREDIBLE & there was nothing more we could do. Victims of our own success.

looks like Andy, bored to death, hacked into his account :D

Caruut said:
Today, I saw an arrogant and tactically naive race by GB. I also saw a great race - it was a rare chance to see genuine legends of my favourite sport going head to head live.

Most British people saw a valiant and heroic effort that fell short not one that was doomed to failure from the start the way they laid out their cards from the start.

In the end, I think everyone went home happy. My relatives spent all day chiding me for supporting Fabian, not Cav, yet they all loved it. Like I said up thread, there was applause in the bar I watched the final 10km in as Vino crossed the line.

It wasn't doomed to failure from the start. Christ, they weren't that far from pulling it off and most people thought they were going to bring it back for a sprint before the final time up box hill.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
"Because if we ride a sustaine wattage of 420 at an RPM of 95 with a heartrate of 155 they can ride away whatever they want we still win." /GB computer tactics

Just dot 60 from the start of the race. Can't lose.

TRENDING THREADS