• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 83 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Arnout said:
Towards someone I thought/think I saw saying that all guys of the podium wouldn't have been invited in other teams. I was just elaborating on your post.

I said a lot of other teams, not all.:p

After seeing a Polish rider as the Lantern Rouge, 3 minutes behind Syria, i have no illusions as to how welcome Alexander Kristoff would have been into the team

burning said:
There is no problem to remove smileys (for me at least, some guys take it more seriously I guess), as there is an image limit in this board
That was from World Cup 2010 and USA was mad to eleminated against Ghana :D

Well I hate people changing my quotes to give their own opinion or change my words, I don't mind small things like some smilies (if they don't change meaning from ironic to serious or something) but like to notify anyway.

But again, US isn't very interested in soccer, they like it when doing well, but when doing badly, they can't be bothered anymore. And I've the feeling the New York newspaper knows this and is making fun of this, whereas the Daily Fail is dead-serious in their minds.

The Hitch said:
I said a lot of other teams, not all.:p

After seeing a Polish rider as the Lantern Rouge, 3 minutes behind Syria, i have no illusions as to how welcome Alexander Kristoff would have been into the team

Where's Niemiec? He really went backwards at Lampre, didn't he.

MonteZoncolan said:
yes yes yes ok with the one up man ship.

Care to elaborate on this as you could as well have written it in Swahili.

Arnout said:
Well I hate people changing my quotes to give their own opinion or change my words, I don't mind small things like some smilies (if they don't change meaning from ironic to serious or something) but like to notify anyway.

But again, US isn't very interested in soccer, they like it when doing well, but when doing badly, they can't be bothered anymore. And I've the feeling the New York newspaper knows this and is making fun of this, whereas the Daily Fail is dead-serious in their minds.

I thought they were serious about that headline but someone from US can confirm much more better than us I guess

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
David Bond (BBC's Sports Editor)

To criticise Dave Brailsford's British cycling team for not delivering is clearly ridiculous. No other sport has consistently produced like cycling has over the last few years.

But something clearly went wrong for the 'Dream Team' on the 250km circuit.

There will also be some who will question why organisers designed a course which seemed to undermine the home team's chances of winning gold on day one.

But perhaps the harder questions will come from those who wonder whether the magnificent Team Sky mission to win the Tour de France has had an impact on the Olympic medal quest.

Brailsford, British cycling's performance director, has insisted that is not the case. I put it to Cavendish after the race and he snapped at me, saying I shouldn't ask stupid questions.

His raw reaction was a sign of just how disappointed he was following the race, which was won by Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhstan, a cyclist banned for doping in 2007.

And you wonder why some of the new influx of sky fans seem lacking in their knowledge? what else could you expect...

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Care to elaborate on this as you could as well have written it in Swahili.[/QUOTE]

Not really no. It's quite simple. Written in English and not Swahili or any other language!

Machu Picchu said:

And you wonder why some of the new influx of sky fans seem lacking in their knowledge? what else could you expect...

I was reading on the telegraph comments section the other day that the French will put more mountains into the Tour next yer because they are anti british and dont want british riders to win:rolleyes:

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to explain the race to my mum earlier.

I ended up feeling like Sky raced it as a PR stunt. In a classic, you have to accept that sometimes, things will not go your way. Sometimes the race just won't pan out for you, and you have to accept that in order to win, sometimes you have to sit up and make sure everyone else does the work. There is a large element of chance.

However, the general public in Britain would not understand if the team sat up and let the breakaway gain a lot of time in order to try and force others to work with them. Sky raced like they wanted certainty. They got it. They raced in a way that all but guaranteed them to almost succeed but ultimately fail yet look like they tried valiantly.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:

What an atrocious article. There is hardly a bit of it which is right - the assumption that it is right that the course should suit the home favourite is also morally abhorrent to me.

Caruut said:
What an atrocious article. There is hardly a bit of it which is right - the assumption that it is right that the course should suit the home favourite is also morally abhorrent to me.

The course should be like that:

__________________________/\_________________________________

The race would have been so epic it that was the case:rolleyes:

Btw, that climb is 1km long with %3 gradient, that's extremely steep and epic too

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Was on Box Hill today (non ticketed).

People seemed to display GB hope, but plenty of cheering & shouting for their fav's, no matter the team/country.

Seemed clear that race radio has done for excitement in modern racing, as many here have stated before. Each lap seemed to bring something new, as did the finale when we got to the big screen.

Haven't seen the day's racing played back yet, so unable to comment on Vino & his tactics one way or the other :)

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
burning said:
The course should be like that:

__________________________/\_________________________________

The race would have been so epic it that was the case:rolleyes:

Btw, that climb is 1km long with %3 gradient, that's extremely steep and epic too

I would have the only hill being a bridge over a motorway.

The course was about as suited for Cav as it could have been without being a bare-faced fix. In the end I thought it was a great race, and I was glad to see GB taken down a peg.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The first five in this line really kept it going down towards the end.
Van-Garderen-escapes.jpg

Too bad for the Swiss, the US, and Spain. The risk of driving a big train I guess. I also would say fatigue played a big roll in the all the final and fatal errors of the day in the front group.

Some Phinney POV: Lauds Tejay for effort and giving up his last gel and bottle dispite the obvious headline.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...ed-a-medal-at-the-2012-london-olympics_232183

Interesting that Phinney says at 30K or so he was floundering. The best quotes tagged on the end.

Cav spoke well of the British effort, which, at first, was easy to be critical of, but in hindsight, still was not as crazy an effort considering the lack of radios.

Vino had the wisdom to read the cards and take the prize.

Latest posts