• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
the british will rule this race with an iron fist,i can't see cav losing this

vino might spoil the party though like old zoetemelk did back in the days at the worlds.so vino ftw!

Your probably right on the first, but let's hope for something like the second.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Unless every other team piles into the breaks, it's a bunch sprint for Cav. If Sagan attacked, and Germany and Australia rode for attackers then it would be different, but I can't see it happening. GB Team might even do something epic like pulling back a break @10 minutes in the last 50k. Coming from the Tour I could buy that.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Spain has the best balanced, thus top of the list

***** Spain
**** Sky, Germany, Switzerland
*** Australia, Italy, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Slovakia
** USA, France, Denmark
* Rest of the World

I am sorry but I strongly disagree with where Spain, Switzerland, Australia and others are positioned. Spain won't feature imo.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
48.9km. The course is a complete joke. :eek:

Well, only if you think their objective was anything other than nice photo's of the bunch going past central London landmarks followed by a Cavendish gold medal. This is the revised 'tougher' course remember; the first draft was rejected by IOC/UCI for being too easy.

taiwan said:
It is sort of misleading in that Sapin have 5 stars, but they basically won't win. They don't have the beating of Cavendish (or Sagan).
You seem to forget about few things.
- This is along race
- A bunch sprint doesn't guarantee Cavendish will win
- Sagan is unlikely to win: too young, inexperienced, no team - if it does, he's GAWD!!!

Sky is a one man show, Spain has weapons of mass destruction :D

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:

***** Spain
** USA, France, Denmark
* Rest of the World

it's not TTT, three medals for three riders.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
You seem to forget about few things.
- This is along race
- A bunch sprint doesn't guarantee Cavendish will win
- Sagan is unlikely to win: too young, inexperienced, no team - if it does, he's GAWD!!!

Sky is a one man show, Spain has weapons of mass destruction :D

Yeah but Cavendish has won long races before. More or less he is guaranteed to win a bunch sprint, and if not him, certainly not Rojas or Ventoso. Sagan - the hills won't make a dent in him and he seems to be able to handle himself in the bunch. Watching the Tour I think he's probably 3rd favourite if not 2nd. Basically Cav would need to be unlucky for Sagan to win though.

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
Yeah but Cavendish has won long races before. More or less he is guaranteed to win a bunch sprint, and if not him, certainly not Rojas or Ventoso. Sagan - the hills won't make a dent in him and he seems to be able to handle himself in the bunch. Watching the Tour I think he's probably 3rd favourite if not 2nd. Basically Cav would need to be unlucky for Sagan to win though.

Sagan made a couple of wrong decisions incl. Paris, but he's learning.

VO2 Max said:
Well, only if you think their objective was anything other than nice photo's of the bunch going past central London landmarks followed by a Cavendish gold medal. This is the revised 'tougher' course remember; the first draft was rejected by IOC/UCI for being too easy.

It's a joke that the "tougher" version was approved. I understand the Brits perfectly well.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:

***** Spain
** USA, France, Denmark
* Rest of the World

It's actually more like: ***** Great Britain
**** Germany, Australia, Slovakia
*** Italy, Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium
**USA, France, Denmark
* Rest of the world world
The Italians have no real threat, Nibali won't win because of the big flat portion after box hill and it's the same for Fabian/Switzerland, Boonen/Belgium.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Kopuliak said:
Sagan made a couple of wrong decisions incl. Paris, but he's learning.

Still, he'll probably end up wasting his energy going with the attacks on Box Hill. He'd better stay in the peloton and put his energy in the chaotic finale. The last 10k will be sprint trains consisting of 2 riders, and isolated sprinters, who have to find a way to the front alone.

jordan5000 said:
It's actually more like: ***** Great Britain
**** Germany, Australia, Slovakia
*** Italy, Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium
**USA, France, Denmark
* Rest of the world world
The Italians have no real threat, Nibali won't win because of the big flat portion after box hill and it's the same for Fabian/Switzerland, Boonen/Belgium.
So Spain is part of Rest of the World for you? LOL!!!

Fabian/Switzerland, Boonen/Belgium have won from long-range attacks, plus I have bad news for you: Boonen's comments today:

"Mi único objetivo es lograr la victoria, no pienso en ocupar un lugar del podio por detrás de Cavendish"

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=53903

Power Meters at Olympic Road Race?

I know that race radios aren't allowed, how about power meters? I'm grasping at straws here but I'm hoping that lack of technology aids along with the smaller teams might hinder GB from turning this into a snorefest, ending up with a Cav coronation.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Orvieto said:
I know that race radios aren't allowed, how about power meters? I'm grasping at straws here but I'm hoping that lack of technology aids along with the smaller teams might hinder GB from turning this into a snorefest, ending up with a Cav coronation.

Same rules as World Champs which Cav won..

TRENDING THREADS