• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
No not really. I was more commenting how does one ride to make another team loose. I'm still trying to understand how he made his observation from the break that he was in - maybe he was riding against team GB?
Possible he watched rerun/highlights? And even in the break he probably hears things.

cineteq said:
Fixed it for you. They sound the same. Although what you meant is sad but true.

Don't get what you mean by merging??? The words have completely different meaning, plus one is a verb (to lose) and the other one is an adjective (loose) :confused:
Strictly speaking, "lose" is [lu], "loose" is [lu]. I'm not sure whether natives read "loose" as [lu] in this context.

"Loose" is also a verb, not only an adjective (the English language has barely any barriers between different parts of speech anyway). And they're merging because the same word is taking over the meanings of "lose" and "loose". It's a gradual change.

goggalor said:
I agree. In hindsight, it was pure arrogance of GB to believe they could control a 250 km race with 4 guys. As Boonen said, they didn't even ask for help. After the Tour we were all so impressed we thought they could do anything, and they obviously thought so too. GB were indeed victims of their own success, but not in the way Cav meant.

Millar was clearly seen talking to the Germans very early on in the race. And why the hell would any of the other teams work even if GB asked them to?

Incredible to see so many stupid comments on here I must say. Must be a reaction to the British success at the Tour.

Congrats to all the Kazakhs on here!

hrotha said:
"Loose" is also a verb, not only an adjective (the English language has barely any barriers between different parts of speech anyway). And they're merging because the same word is taking over the meanings of "lose" and "loose". It's a gradual change.
Sorry this doesn't apply to my country LOL!!! The meanings are NOT the same.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
GB needed to put men in the break(s) but with the smaller teams and no radios, their stratagy may have been not so unsound other than it did not work. Riders like Gilbert, Nibali, Van Garderen, Rast, and many others kept the break going.

GB was transparent racing only for Cav. You have to pose multiple threats and not count on things going your way if you have the top dog sprinter. The race itself is something to be proud of. Great crowds, the spectacle of a race that saw some crazy attcking on a techinical route. Vino taking gold is a minus, but the sport should add an Olympic ban on those who have had a drug suspension.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
The whole point is that "loose" is taking over meanings that it didn't have and becoming undistinguishable from "lose", i.e. they're merging.

They are? It's a common mis-spelling, but nothing more. They are still pronounced differently.

Don't be late Pedro said:
You seem very selective in the riders you believe. It's almost when you can use them to further your argument then they would never lie. If not, then... well what do they know.

Not really.

I'm still trying to work out how you ride to make another team lose. Maybe GB was riding to make other teams to lose as well? :rolleyes:

None the less with the talent GB had they should have won easily. It was their race to lose and that they did.

I'm a British citizen by the way.

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
GB lost because they were not strong enough.

Sky have shown that they were very strong during the Tour de France and everyone is naturally scared of them so they got no help , just like cancellera got no help from anyone else during PR 2011.

Cavendish may not be happy , but he can't blame anyone else's except himself . They acted like supermen but they were not.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
gthx_gthx_ said:

Sky have shown that they were very strong during the Tour de France and everyone is naturally scared of them so they got no help , just like cancellera got no help from anyone else during PR 2011.

Cavendish may not be happy , but he can't blame anyone else's except himself . They acted like supermen but they were not.

Haha, they lost because of naive tactics and riding the race like a GT flat stage, not a classic. They were incredibly strong but raced in a way that everyone knew wha was going to happen and were able to put tactics into place to counter that.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that Geraint Thomas could have made a huge difference here - he is GB's only proper classics rider.

gthx_gthx_ said:

Agreed.

Riding on the front from the start one might get the impression they were riding to make other teams lose! :eek:

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
The more I think about it, the more I feel that Geraint Thomas could have made a huge difference here - he is GB's only proper classics rider.
I think that would have made a difference too. Millar might have worked but Froome or Wiggins and I think GB would have ended up in the same situation as Australia i.e. A man in the breakaway but unlikely to do much in the final sprint (though I might be doing O'Grady a disservice.)

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
I think that would have made a difference too. Millar might have worked but Froome or Wiggins and I think GB would have ended up in the same situation as Australia i.e. A man in the breakaway but unlikely to do much in the final sprint (though I might be doing O'Grady a disservice.)

I would say O'Grady's chances from the break aren't totally dissimilar to Goss's chances against Cavendish in a straight sprint. Frankly Cavendish ought to have tried to cover a move or two himself if he's so annoyed about things. If he can't cover a move, then he doesn't deserve the race.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
BBC reporting one million spectators on the course yesterday. Looking at the pictures of Box hill I realise that my spot where the people were just one deep was probably better than the ticketed section.

Bala Verde said:
[a bunch of added characters....]
Mark Cavendish
@markcavendish

12 mins ago
Can't understand how me saying yesterday that we couldn't have done any more, but I feel other teams could have is "blaming" other nations.

Sounds like he's arguing with himself!

I can see this going on for days whilst he wrestles with the concept that GB were racing for others to lose by banging it out at 45km p/h from kilometer 4.

Hardly the Olympic spirit is it?

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

I can see this going on for days whilst he wrestles with the concept that GB were racing for others to lose by banging it out at 45km p/h from kilometer 4.

Face it, he's dumber than a bag of hammers. An immensely talented sprinter who can barely climb or time trial, used up his brain cells cycling all day and then went onto Twitter instead of admitting defeat shutting the hell up.

Racing is about 2 things: winning and losing. More specifically, riding to win and in return *not* riding to help someone else win. You lost because no one was going to sit there and do your work for you just because you are the home team.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site

He could have taken a pull on the front

TRENDING THREADS