• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Road Race Men

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I was reading about the size of the crowd and the noise they were making. A few riders commented on spectators encroaching onto the the road a bit too much.

Andre griepel only had one comment; because there were so many people there "was no where to pee".

Awesome!!

Watching the bbc cpverage replay the guy says "Cancellara, the best tter of all time, sorry Chris, but he is".

I think Inudrain was better.

Also, apparently Valverde has podiumed the Tour de France and Geelong world championships, were in Belgium with Gilbert attacking in front of his home crowd.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Watching the bbc cpverage replay the guy says "Cancellara, the best tter of all time, sorry Chris, but he is".

I think Inudrain was better.

Also, apparently Valverde has podiumed the Tour de France and Geelong world championships, were in Belgium with Gilbert attacking in front of his home crowd.

Is was griepel winning the sprint for fourth that was the funniest

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Wiggins vs. ... the Queen

Bikies & Bikers,

I think the brits made a big mistake pulling forCav.... shoulda' ridden for Wiggo ... or Froome !

btw; did Wiggo really say "F*** the Queen" ????? (as reported in VN <http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/tour-triumph-still-sinking-in-for-wiggins_232050>

OK< ya, F the Q but, it isnt very diplomatic, its kinda crude, and ...... there goes his knighthood !!!

Witz

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
ItsWitz said:
Bikies & Bikers,

I think the brits made a big mistake pulling forCav.... shoulda' ridden for Wiggo ... or Froome !

btw; did Wiggo really say "F*** the Queen" ????? (as reported in VN <http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/tour-triumph-still-sinking-in-for-wiggins_232050>

OK< ya, F the Q but, it isnt very diplomatic, its kinda crude, and ...... there goes his knighthood !!!

Witz

He's clearly joking, what the hell are you on about?

Zam_Olyas said:
626083617.jpg

Lols! Good Riddance. Thinking what went wrong for his grand plans of Anglophone dominance.

The Hitch said:
What i dont like is that no one is mentioning Vinos comeback.

The dude entered his last race as a pro 13 months ago.

He broke, his leg in what, 3 places and had a punctured lung, being pulled half conciouss by his team from under a tree.

he retired, RETIRED, in an emotional teleconference with his team in which he could not even finish his sentence and the entire team was overcome with emotion.

Has anyone ever come back from something like that to win an olympic gold medal. From retirement after crashing out in your last race and breaking half your body.

Indeed. Pity that there is no press coverage for a heroic comeback like that. And what a way to bow out of Pro cycling.
VINO will always be a LEGEND.

Allthough everyone predicted a boring Olympics we've seen 2 quality races. I really really enjoyed both races.

Vino winning was awesome. What an incredible way to finish your cycling career. Just amazing. I'm definately going to miss him attacking everyone :D

The Hitch said:

He broke, his leg in what, 3 places and had a punctured lung, being pulled half conciouss by his team from under a tree.

he retired, RETIRED, in an emotional teleconference with his team in which he could not even finish his sentence and the entire team was overcome with emotion.

Has anyone ever come back from something like that to win an olympic gold medal. From retirement after crashing out in your last race and breaking half your body.

Armstrong... Not a Gold medal but still cancer tops broken leg...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Has anyone ever come back from something like that to win an olympic gold medal. From retirement after crashing out in your last race and breaking half your body..

+1. The guy had an injury that would be career-ending for most. Talk about an iron will. I had a doctor tell me that when Vino walked/was assisted out of that ditch after the accident - most men would have been lying on the ground screaming in agony, after a break like that, not getting up on their feet! Then to come back from that injury!? Vino is nothing short of incredible.

I couldn't be happier that he won - GB did themselves in. Vino deserved the win!

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Armstrong... Not a Gold medal but still cancer tops broken leg...

Lance Armstrong had cancer? I never knew. He's so humble to never mention that and attempt to turn it into a commercial advantage.

No apologies, never-ever! ;)

CatsNK said:
+1. The guy had an injury that would be career-ending for most. Talk about an iron will. I had a doctor tell me that when Vino walked/was assisted out of that ditch after the accident - most men would have been lying on the ground screaming in agony, after a break like that, not getting up on their feet! Then to come back from that injury!? Vino is nothing short of incredible.

I couldn't be happier that he won - GB did themselves in. Vino deserved the win!

The ignorance and spite in the media that greeted Vino's Olympic coronation is EXACTLY why I'm OVERJOYED that he REFUSED to BOW-DOWN and "APOLOGIZE"/grovel/beg at the feet of jingoistic HYPOCRITES who only care about the "TRUTH" as they perceive it.

Unrelated, can anyone tell me what Gilbert is on about?

"Adding to the polemic of the British team losing out on a mass sprint as Alexandre Vinokourov (Kazakhstan) claimed the desired Gold medal, Gilbert said that: "The British steered behind the TV motorbike. It was sad - several riders reacted on this.""

the asian said:
Indeed. Pity that there is no press coverage for a heroic comeback like that. And what a way to bow out of Pro cycling.
VINO will always be a LEGEND.

Indeed.

I can't wait to finally interview Vino, though some time must be allowed to pass in order for all to develop at least some perspective as to the genuine and true awesomeness of his victory. I would sooner die that produce the kind of video tripe that Anthony Tan served up after talking to Vino earlier this year - after which he (Tan) had the gall to complain about the interview!

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
The ignorance and spite in the media that greeted Vino's Olympic coronation is EXACTLY why I'm OVERJOYED that he REFUSED to BOW-DOWN and "APOLOGIZE"/grovel/beg at the feet of jingoistic HYPOCRITES who only care about the "TRUTH" as they perceive it.

Indeed.

I can't wait to finally interview Vino, though some time must be allowed to pass in order for all to develop at least some perspective as to the genuine and true awesomeness of his victory. I would sooner die that produce the kind of video tripe that Anthony Tan served up after talking to Vino earlier this year - after which he (Tan) had the gall to complain about the interview!

Oh this is just priceless.........:rolleyes:

joe_papp said:

Unrelated, can anyone tell me what Gilbert is on about?

"Adding to the polemic of the British team losing out on a mass sprint as Alexandre Vinokourov (Kazakhstan) claimed the desired Gold medal, Gilbert said that: "The British steered behind the TV motorbike. It was sad - several riders reacted on this.""

Indeed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blo...pic-alexandr-vinokourov?mobile-redirect=false

London 2012: Give Olympic champion Alexandr Vinokourov a break

People are free to voice their opinion and say what they think but the man from Kazakhstan has not failed a drugs test for five years and should be congratulated for a superb ride. The win wasn't one that would hint at doping – he rode using his head and didn't show a dominant display seen by the likes of Riccardo Riccò, now banned from professional cycling for life, who would romp up a mountain mouth closed and put minutes into his nearest competitors.

thehog said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blo...pic-alexandr-vinokourov?mobile-redirect=false

London 2012: Give Olympic champion Alexandr Vinokourov a break

People are free to voice their opinion and say what they think but the man from Kazakhstan has not failed a drugs test for five years and should be congratulated for a superb ride. The win wasn't one that would hint at doping – he rode using his head and didn't show a dominant display seen by the likes of Riccardo Riccò, now banned from professional cycling for life, who would romp up a mountain mouth closed and put minutes into his nearest competitors.

McQuaid expressed support for Vinokourov’s win, saying, “I’m not disappointed that he won.

“If they have served their sentence, then their participation is warranted.”

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
McQuaid expressed support for Vinokourov’s win, saying, “I’m not disappointed that he won.

“If they have served their sentence, then their participation is warranted.”

Most sensible thing he's said in a long while.

CatsNK said:

The great irony is without that horrific crash, Vino would never have even been riding this season.

He would thus not have his great victory.

I would never say a leg broken in so many places is worth an olympic gold medal, but Vino would probably take it in a heartbeat.

264173_10150305632067463_374951987462_9142995_7537634_n.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts